Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Is this the feel good thread of the summer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hopefully its contagious

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here
Y'all are rad. This is why I love PYF.
3 years ago I attempted suicide and this fall I'm going to my sophomore year of college at 27.

maybe the IOSM were the friends we made along the way

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It's the real reason we get along. :3:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Flyinglemur posted:

I was born in SD and joined the Navy at 18 to get the gently caress out of there. Last year I took a trip back to see family and there were two bilboards back to back outside of Sioux Falls...the first one was anti-abortion and the next one in line was an "attractive" woman holding a rifle with a suppressor reminding tourist hunters that they were legal in this state.

It's legal to hunt tourists in SD? Sign me up!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Here's a thing.

I'm not exactly anti-gun. Hell, I'm Canadian, I'm pro-gun-control, but I live in an area where hunting is really common. And hunting is fine, in my mind. I don't like trophy hunting, because I think it's wasteful, but sure, take a few moose and fill your freezer, moose is delicious, and for many people that's an important economic support. My family doesn't hunt, though my sister has married into a family that does and she's embraced it.

But I will never, ever, ever own a gun myself.

And basically I don't trust my own broke brain to have something like that on hand. I'm doing well, these days, I guess. My diagnosis is generalized anxiety disorder with comorbid major depressive disorder. I take a lot of pills to keep my brain working right and I've done a lot of work with my psychiatrist to reject suicidal thoughts as impossible and not dwell on them when they happen. Hell, this sort of thing is why I'm going to university in my thirties, because in my twenties I was totally incapable of it.

But there are bad moments. And I want to die because it feels like the pain in my own brain will never end, and the world is black and awful, and I obviously can't cope with real life so I should just quit and let people who can actually do this poo poo take my place.

And it passes. It always passes. I say to myself a lot that everything is temporary. But it never feels like it will pass in that moment. And to have a gun at hand, which feels quick and foolproof and easy, would be a serious danger to myself when I'm not thinking clearly because the disease in my brain is doing the thinking for me.

I'll never have a gun because statistically I'm very likely to turn it on myself. And that's a decision I have to make when I'm feeling well and stick to it.

I also like to remind myself that if I die, my cockatiels will not be nearly as loved and spoiled as they are with me, because everyone I know who might take them has cats, but my doctor says that's a lot of responsibility to put on a little bird.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I don't even get normal sad, let alone depressed, but these are all genuinely interesting, helpful, and heartfelt reads.

:kimchi:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea I've had to realize even though I'm endlessly fascinated with guns and weapons that I should never do more than rent one at a shooting range.

...don't tell D&D I said that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ularg posted:

Yea I've had to realize even though I'm endlessly fascinated with guns and weapons that I should never do more than rent one at a shooting range.

...don't tell D&D I said that.

It's too late. We've already printed out this post and mailed it to each regular D&D poster individually.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Aramek posted:

I don't even get normal sad, let alone depressed, but these are all genuinely interesting, helpful, and heartfelt reads.

:kimchi:

:agreed:

Y'all rock. I love you stupid goons.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Takoluka posted:

It's too late. We've already printed out this post and mailed it to each regular D&D poster individually.

I'm so dead.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ularg posted:

I'm so dead.

Hey, at least you can protect yourself. :v:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/nucleartakes/status/1005265569313185794?s=21

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

i like this.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Last November, I spent a week in a psychiatric ward after a suicide attempt. I wasn't allowed to wear shoes, drink caffeine, or have personal items beyond clothes and toiletries. Every time I've felt low since then, all I need to do is remind myself that I can't have books in crazy jail and I should go talk to somebody about it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If we're sharing depression stories, before I was diagnosed and, I think before I attempted suicide, but the whole time period is super blurry, one of the things keeping me hanging in there was LOST. Like I was suffering horribly from anxiety and depression, but those cliffhangers made me want to stick it out another week.

It might seem silly, but it was definitely the branch I clung to on the side of the cliff when I didn't think I had anything else going on.

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 15:56 on Jun 9, 2018

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Guns are neat but if I was left alone with one I'd end up eating a bullet.

hawaiian_robot posted:

Hope you're being kind to yourself and have a good support structure.

Not really, my insurance got cut off so I can't see my therapist until that's reinstated. So mostly I'm just smoking a ton of weed and trying to hold on to the coping techniques I've learned.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sneakyfrog posted:

i like this.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I have PMs if any of you neck beards want someone to talk to.

I’m glad this conversation is happening, and who would’ve thought it would be on SA.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
And that snake....was albert einstein

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

This is the Iism thread so I thought the snake was gonna be Muslims or something and how theyll always bite you because they are bad bad people. Made me :unsmith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
pyf is turning into :justpost: this weekend and i for one think thats nice.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Though I don't think that post is particularly stupid, I just think the scenario is funny of a dude who is all like "whoops I dropped the snake into the fire again" and it takes multiple tries before the guy goes "hmm maybe I should get some kind of tool"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hihohe posted:

This is the Iism thread so I thought the snake was gonna be Muslims or something and how theyll always bite you because they are bad bad people. Made me :unsmith:

I, too, am glad that the story didn't end with an excuse to being horrible poo poo to other people because, ~it's just who I am~

I was expecting something to do with "saving gay people" or sinners or something to that effect.

Zesty has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Jun 9, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hihohe posted:

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Guns are neat but if I was left alone with one I'd end up eating a bullet.
:same:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

dexter6 posted:

I have PMs if any of you neck beards want someone to talk to.

I’m glad this conversation is happening, and who would’ve thought it would be on SA.

Don't let Lowtax know!!!

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Our benevolent overlord puppetmastered you all into opening your hearts and this is the thanks he gets.

I have a comparatively mild case of the sadbrains, I never seriously contemplated siucide, but I see how much it ruins all aspects of my life in small unstoppable ways and I just wanted to say keep fighting the good fight folks. You're definitely worth having around on this, the shittiest timeline. :glomp:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

This is honestly one of the hottest takes I've seen.

As for the end line, it is saying (male)homosexuality is bad right? Or at least, the acceptance/normalization of it is?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Ambitious Spider posted:

If we're sharing depression stories, before I was diagnosed and, I think before I attempted suicide, but the whole time period is super blurry, one of the things keeping me hanging in there was LOST. Like I was suffering horribly from anxiety and depression, but those cliffhangers made me want to stick it out another week.

It might seem silly, but it was definitely the branch I clung to on the side of the cliff when I didn't think I had anything else going on.

Oh so I'm not the only one. 2012/2013 were the worst years of my life. Dropping out of college, moving back home, losing a close friend.

But uh, I really had to play Destiny when it was announced. And after that came out it was seeing the next expansion over and over again. Finally got me to socialize again. And I was actually useful to people in the game.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

RoboRodent posted:

I also like to remind myself that if I die, my cockatiels will not be nearly as loved and spoiled as they are with me, because everyone I know who might take them has cats, but my doctor says that's a lot of responsibility to put on a little bird.

I'm not gonna lie, I've been going through some pretty tough times lately between living 2,000 miles from my family (my choice but one that I've slowly started to regret) having basically only one friend outside work who has been kind of an rear end lately and never has time for me, a horrible toxic work environment that has turned into a total dumpster fire, neighbors being noisy assholes, and pre existing anxiety/depression issues that are making it super hard for me to actually change any of the above... Sometimes my cat and my dog have given me that one thing to focus on to not want to end it all. The dog has horrible anxiety and aggression issues (no the irony is not lost on me and no it wasn't apparent how bad they were when I adopted him btw) and he would basically have to be euthanized if I was gone because no one else can touch him without sedation. Probably he would go with animal control and they would have to give him a sedative with a pole syringe then euthanize him. His last moments of consciousness would be a nightmare. I don't want that to happen to him so I refuse to give up on life. Maybe it is a lot of responsibility for a dog but frankly it's not like he knows that. And if he died tomorrow I wouldn't just kill myself immediately and there are other reasons for living and blah blah. But it's something that's kept me grounded sometimes when things are at their worst, and it's made me feel like my existence has a direct and clear purpose - to prevent him from dying under horrible circumstances. It ain't that much but it's something.

Plus he kisses away my tears when I cry about it so :3:

Also I'm getting help on finding a new job and stuff so if people are concerned for me, know that I'm working on it. Sometimes you just have to take it one day at a time, as cliche as that is. Sometimes it's more like one minute at a time I think...

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Though I don't think that post is particularly stupid, I just think the scenario is funny of a dude who is all like "whoops I dropped the snake into the fire again" and it takes multiple tries before the guy goes "hmm maybe I should get some kind of tool"

Yeah if a snake bit me a few seconds ago when i touched it my first instinct would not be to touch the snake again.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It really is heart warming. I was talking to my husband about people who say "have you tried being happy?" because he's struggled as much as I have and over the past 20 years we've seen each other at our highest highs and lowest lows, and he cites me as proving that trying to be happy doesn't work. I've had a seriously blessed life, living the dream pretty much. And I still am completely broken and think he'll just up and leave me every single day because I don't deserve good things and I'm not worth having around. When people say they miss me I don't believe them because why would they. I doubt myself all the time. I don't like me very much and my anxiety is constantly trying to ruin relationships by telling me no one else could possibly like me either. I'm just living in fear of rejection all the time. And I don't get rejected, yet those feelings persist so strongly. It's annoying as all hell. I can't make them go away. 20 years my husband has been by my side, devoted, and never giving me any reason to really think he'll leave me, it's just my broken brain. I have zero logical reason to feel this way and I'm really aware of it, yet it persists in the back of my head. I'm kind of controlling it and my friends can't tell that I worry they secretly hate me and are only nice because they have to and feel sorry for me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If cliffhangers are enough to stave off suicidal ideation modern cartoon hiatuses will probably be responsible for the discovery of immortality.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

BioEnchanted posted:

If cliffhangers are enough to stave off suicidal ideation modern cartoon hiatuses will probably be responsible for the discovery of immortality.

it gives "to be continued" an intense existential weight

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Midnight Voyager posted:

Sure as hell isn't different to someone suffering from thoughts of suicide.

like really, what is the response you want here? "Yeah, suicidal people are assholes for giving in." Because you say you're not saying that, but it is absolutely what you are saying. Or do you just want a blanket "it sucks to be left behind by someone who committed suicide"? because that one's a given.

It is in no way productive to tell this to anyone with suicidal thoughts. It is only productive in the context of a conversation between that child and that child's therapist. Which it sounds like you could do with.

I understand what you're saying. I mean, it's such a complicated thing because life and people are such complicated things, so I'm happy for some perspective. I may not have changed my mind, but I definitely have more to think about whenever the subject comes up.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

RoboRodent posted:

Hell, this sort of thing is why I'm going to university in my thirties, because in my twenties I was totally incapable of it.

Try to not ever, ever feel bad about the "20's stuff in 30's" alright? I'm 32, I drive very well, but my anxiety has kept me from taking my driving test so I've been rolling around on a permit for a while now. For the longest time the thought of an authority figure judging me and correcting me when I was in control of a two-ton hunk of fast-moving metal scared the gently caress outta me. Aggressive men riding with me also hosed me up. Until recently I'd shake like a drat leaf when I got in the driver's seat.

I have a new vehicle that I'm comfortable in and love. I have a few people that ride with me and keep their mouths shut, because they realize how my anxiety affects me. They're just there for me and they've helped more than any amount of talking could. I'm getting more confident and going to take my license test in the next month or two.

Anyway that's my brokebrains confession. Honestly I'm incredibly lucky that a little anxiety is all I have to deal with. It's made me understand how your own brain can convince you that you're wrong/hosed up/etc. no matter how logically you look at a situation and try to fight it. Like logically I know that the man in the seat next to me isn't going to do anything to harm me, but good goddamn my brain thinks he will.

Also hey, at least the little bird doesn't know his place in things. He's cool. Probably doesn't know much else but the love you get him.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
I've been dealing with depression and suidical ideation since as long as I can remember - written off as teen angst, pre-teen angst or reflection of rough times. It's kind of been a constant background hum, and while I've had my ups and downs with it I don't think I've ever got away from it.

The joy of sadbrains; but it's been good to share and hear from everyone else. I've got PMs if anyone needs to talk.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I know it's probably been said a thousand times but seriously start working out. I joined a gym with my girlfriend a few months ago and it's insane how quickly I've seen improvements in my mental health, like going from massive anxiety for the first few hours after I wake up in the morning to almost none at all.

You don't have to go and lift weights for 5 hours straight either, just use a treadmill or elliptical machine for like half an hour a day. Just fuckin go you'll feel better I promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
When I got correctly diagnosed and medicated for bipolar I did a big ol' apology tour for the lovely things I had done while being manic. I was apologizing to a close friend when an aquintance decided that he had to butt in and say that I didn't have to apologise for not being able to control my brain. I reminded him that he had once left me in tears after he had (AGAIN over-)heard me talk about having attempted suicide and decided to berate me for being a sad sack who just needed to get over it and reminded him that I was most likely manic when I had my attempt. Thinking about it I should have told him how super duper suicidal he made me that night.
It baffles me that people don't get that depression is a legit mental illness that can't be controlled by sheer will power.

Another disease of the brain.