Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

we have a 2 hour one currently and not a lot of people are doing it, I theorize that's too long but some of my co-workers disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if you're talking about the automatically tested stuff, it's OK i guess but rarely interesting. if there are multiple exercises I'll do each one in a different language requested by the job

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

There's not a single person in this thread who hasn't gotten stuck on a stupid bug for a couple of hours and felt like a loving idiot afterwards. Strictly timed tests are nothing but completely random and favour people who have seen the problem in advance.

I genuinely don't mind taking a day to do a complex problem, I mean you're upgrading your income for heaven's sake, it's worth it.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

PokeJoe posted:

we have a 2 hour one currently and not a lot of people are doing it, I theorize that's too long but some of my co-workers disagree

it may be too long but if it's not more than 3 problems I think that's fine. 2 hours is reasonable if you expect them to solve it in like 1h30min and the remaining 30min is giving some more breathing space for the person to review, polish and document the solutions a bit.

qhat posted:

There's not a single person in this thread who hasn't gotten stuck on a stupid bug for a couple of hours and felt like a loving idiot afterwards. Strictly timed tests are nothing but completely random and favour people who have seen the problem in advance.

I genuinely don't mind taking a day to do a complex problem, I mean you're upgrading your income for heaven's sake, it's worth it.

I don't know, most of these problems are not really designed for giving you serious bugs like that.

another problem that I have with long coding projects is that the problem statements are usually way more imprecise and open-ended. I can't help but feel like the judgement is effectively more subjective and arbitrary.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Symbolic Butt posted:

I don't know, most of these problems are not really designed for giving you serious bugs like that.

like the one time that I got stuck trying to debug a solution it wasn't reaally a bug, it was because of this:

Symbolic Butt posted:

I did a test and it was just 2 questions on hackerrank but they were so weirdly written and ambiguous that I spent most of the hour trying to decipher the instructions.

when I finally did it I couldn't finish them on time, it was too bad because the questions seemed pretty easy despite that.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

quote:

another problem that I have with long coding projects is that the problem statements are usually way more imprecise and open-ended. I can't help but feel like the judgement is effectively more subjective and arbitrary.

What exactly is the objection to giving someone 8 hours (a full day) to think about several distinct problems instead of 2 hours? If the answer is "they might have time to actually think and solve it in the best possible way having never seen it before", then maybe you need to reevalutate what's important in an engineer. If the answer is "because they might Google the answer", maybe your challenge flatout sucks.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

qhat posted:

What exactly is the objection to giving someone 8 hours (a full day) to think about several distinct problems instead of 2 hours? If the answer is "they might have time to actually think and solve it in the best possible way having never seen it before", then maybe you need to reevalutate what's important in an engineer. If the answer is "because they might Google the answer", maybe your challenge flatout sucks.

eh, if it's like some DP and data structure problems I have no objections. if it's like a nontrivial web app with lots of documentation (which is always the case for those long timed coding challenges) then you're killing me.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Like don't get me wrong, I think a mandated 8 hours for a very thorough complex problem is equally as terrible as mandated 2 hours for a more simple problem. I just don't like how companies seem to equate shorter time with better engineer nowadays.

inset
Sep 20, 2003

Grimey Drawer
We started using a simple 15min javascript test to weed out the people with 15+ years of web dev who don't understand how to solve an issue with an out of scope variable in javascript (we're looking for if they know about either .bind() or using an arrow function)

It's amazing how many people fail.

Second part is basically setting innerHTML of an element to '', have had people claiming 18 years of webdev fail that one also. Maybe interview jitters, maybe the test is bad.. but a couple people solved it no problem, as would be expected so I guess it works?

Interviewing is the worst :(

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just looked up the glassdoor of this last company that I did the coding challenge and there's one guy complaining that the interviewers are "a bunch of social justice warriors" lol

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I think the pairing interviews I had recently were good. online, scheduled for 60, basically designed for 45 minutes of work plus 15 for the interviewee to ask about the company.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
unpaid "homework" is an abusive practice and i won't participate in it

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
oh calm down, it's not abusive jfc

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Space Whale posted:

I believe I'm at their rear end kicking competitor. Did your job name start with a J?

no this was flight optimization for the Air Force

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
That's one of the many things we do. Just not that particular airplane.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I'm a fan of the take home, especially when the question is relevant to the job you're interviewing for and is discussed in the interview. Its a much more accurate way to gauge a person's skills: they spend a few hours writing some code, and then you discuss it as a group. Way more realistic than expecting someone to solve a problem they've never considered on a whiteboard in 15 minutes in front of a bunch of people.

That being said, I don't think it should take more than a few hours, and should be a toy problem. Some of my favorites have been:

Here is a big text file of some logs, write a script in perl that pulls some things out with a regular expression and does some aggregations. (for a job at the networking department of a university that used perl)

Here is a big list of lat/lon points, write a java application that consumes them and efficiently retrieves all of them given a random bounding box. (for a job that did geospatial applications in java)

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
What goes wrong is guessing what level and style of enterprise OOP they're expecting your toy app to possess.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Space Whale posted:

What goes wrong is guessing what level and style of enterprise OOP they're expecting your toy app to possess.

If I was applying and turned down because my toy application wasn't "enterprisey" enough then at least they told me relatively early in the process that they're a horrible company to work for.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Yeah i want to see the bridge pattern in a toy app :colbert:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ADINSX posted:

I'm a fan of the take home, especially when the question is relevant to the job you're interviewing for and is discussed in the interview. Its a much more accurate way to gauge a person's skills: they spend a few hours writing some code, and then you discuss it as a group.

if the information is that valuable, pay your candidates

the reason interviews are unpaid is that it's reciprocal -- the candidate gives you unpaid time, and you give the candidate unpaid time.

homework is an abusive practice because you demand effort from the candidate without any reciprocity on your part

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the reason interviews are unpaid is that it's reciprocal -- the candidate gives you unpaid time, and you give the candidate unpaid time.

homework is an abusive practice because you demand effort from the candidate without any reciprocity on your part

If you feel that strongly about it you can apply somewhere else... I'm saying these are things I appreciated as a candidate. I would rather spend a few hours in a relaxed state doing a take home than a potentially shorter (but not necessarily... all day interviews at a company are common and also a nightmare) amount of time in front of a whiteboard with a problem I've never seen before.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

take home assignments are bad because they are discriminatory against people with lives outside of work

got a family? gently caress you please ignore your children and put in an extra 8 hours of work to solve this “exercise”

don’t want to spend your free time doing unpaid work? too bad, we’ve gone with another candidate

they’re used to select for people who can be bullied into spending time outside of work coding

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wow for once i agree with you

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

EVGA Longoria posted:

take home assignments are bad because they are discriminatory against people with lives outside of work

got a family? gently caress you please ignore your children and put in an extra 8 hours of work to solve this “exercise”

don’t want to spend your free time doing unpaid work? too bad, we’ve gone with another candidate

they’re used to select for people who can be bullied into spending time outside of work coding

absolutely

tech is discriminatory against age and the lower class

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unpaid "homework" is an abusive practice and i won't participate in it
Bringing someone onto a team who can’t code is more abusive (to the rest of the team)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gazpacho posted:

Bringing someone onto a team who can’t code is more abusive (to the rest of the team)

then dont make the homework multiple hours of garbage

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

or loving leave it for the whiteboarding or something

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Pollyanna posted:

then dont make the homework multiple hours of garbage
No idea what u mean, and I’m always hearing that people freak out at the white board so might as well give them a problem to solve under conditions more of their choosing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if it's that valuable as a mode of candidate selection, then pay for it. if you're willing to pay for a day's work, then it's not abusive

none of your excuses for homework will make a whit of difference without putting your money where your mouth is

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
No payment for the interview time & no payment for the coding exercise. Just lunch & maybe a drink at the third round bro social

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lots of people like to think software engineering is a lifestyle instead of a loving job

hahahahha yeah bro come over and well give you lunch and a shirt and if you get the job you can use our open taps during your 12-hour shifts

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress you this is a job and we are doing it for money to support our life not the other way around

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
unpaid homework is wage theft full stop

either do it in the loving interview or figure out some other way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

it is wage theft it is also time theft (a nonrenewable resource)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Theres no way under competitive conditions for a hiring company to make the process entirely painless. If the exercise cuts into your time outside of work, take time off from work to do it. You don’t have the vacation days accrued? I’m truly sorry but that’s out of anyone’s hands. Not gonna haggle about a compensation rate for your time vs your current pay either. The rate is 0.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

its me, the shitbird that cant whiteboard to save my life but likes homework

edit: in maybe not terrible interview news one place sat me in front of a dev machine with a continuous testing tool running and told me to make the circles turn green. that was a good one imo

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 9, 2018

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

Theres no way under competitive conditions for a hiring company to make the process entirely painless. If the exercise cuts into your time outside of work, take time off from work to do it. You don’t have the vacation days accrued? I’m truly sorry but that’s out of anyone’s hands. Not gonna haggle about a compensation rate for your time vs your current pay either. The rate is 0.

Yeah normally I'm all about work is for work and respecting time off but if you're gonna throw a shitfit about a 3 hour take home interview question its probably not gonna work out. Hell, the places that did it had like a 2 hour in-person interview, so the total time interviewing was less than some of the all day ones. What do you do when a company wants to fly you out? Do you demand compensation for the time after the interview? What about the time you spent reviewing poo poo in preperation?

Interviewing takes a lot of time, 3 hours here and there for a take home is not much compared to the rest of the process.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

you're just going to miss out on qualified candidates who think you're an rear end in a top hat

but they'll be right, so i guess that's actually a win

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

No payment for the interview time & no payment for the coding exercise. Just lunch & maybe a drink at the third round bro social

there's no payment expected for the interview time because we are both out on a limb for that

i give of my time freely to interview, and the candidate gives of their own time freely to be at the interview

homework breaks that reciprocal relationship. if you demand something from a candidate without offering something of your own, you are obliged to pay for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

homework breaks that reciprocal relationship. if you demand something from a candidate without offering something of your own, you are obliged to pay for it

They spend time reviewing it