Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jordan7hm posted:

Everyone hears what they think a British accent sounds like.

Oh, so she's Australian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I hear the most over-the-top, grating Cockney accent every shrieked.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

That's only because a bunch of british writers forgot she was supposed to be a southern belle.

Since when? The White Queen was always a New England old money type.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Thaddius the Large posted:

Liverpudlian. The thickest Scouse accent you could imagine.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Thaddius the Large posted:

'ELLO GUVNAH!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Nipponophile posted:

Since when? The White Queen was always a New England old money type.

Besides, didn’t Claremont create her? We all know what he thinks a Southern Belle sounds like and I certainly don’t recall him ever writing her to sound like *that*.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That's only because a bunch of british writers forgot she was supposed to be a southern belle.

She's from Boston.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Samovar posted:

Liverpudlian. The thickest Scouse accent you could imagine.

Alright Cyclops, calm down calm down!

I'm just going to use my mental powers to put the Sun out of business.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

She's from Boston.

Written words can never convey the HORROR of the Boston accent.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Written words can never convey the HORRAH of the Boston accent.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

If anyone would give it the ol' college try it'd be Claremont.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Rhyno posted:

Listen, Buddy, if you don't stahp lookin' at my knockahs I'm gonna bust youah fat gently caress face into that bubblah you wicked sick gently caress.

(Source: from the northeast)

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Isn't she supposed to talk with a Boston Brahmin accent rather than the more… standard Bostonian sound?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

ManiacClown posted:

Isn't she supposed to talk with a Boston Brahmin accent rather than the more… standard Bostonian sound?
I could see that. It's more old-timer north easterner with a much larger vocabulary. Though, it would still sound hilarious.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Yvonmukluk posted:

'ELLO GUVNAH!

Now I want to hear Dave Anthony from The Dollop doing his Cockney screech every time Emma talks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ManiacClown posted:

I think her solo series from the early 2000s implied it was learned, though. I think she's supposed to have the straight-up Marky-Mark accent naturally and poshed it up once she started using her powers to make money.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
She was taught by JFK.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Her secondary mutation is turning into Diamond Joe Quimby

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
She dies a little inside every time she hears Gambit say chowder.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CzarChasm posted:

Now I want to hear Dave Anthony from The Dollop doing his Cockney screech every time Emma talks.

Yeah, that was my inspiration. :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

:golfclap: Bravo my friend. Bravo.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Gaz-L posted:

I think her solo series from the early 2000s implied it was learned, though. I think she's supposed to have the straight-up Marky-Mark accent naturally and poshed it up once she started using her powers to make money.

Nah, Frost was born to old New England money.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Accent talk is saddening. I don't want to be reminded that Captain America was born in Brooklyn 1920 and talks like Bernie Sanders while Peter Parker sounds like a young Ray Romano.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Heathen posted:

Accent talk is saddening. I don't want to be reminded that Captain America was born in Brooklyn 1920 and talks like Bernie Sanders while Peter Parker sounds like a young Ray Romano.

I will defend Pete's Queens accent to the death.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Then please enjoy Sony's Venom, featuring Tom Hardy doing a Bronx accent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Push El Burrito posted:

That was a funny scene in the Civil War movie.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

gently caress Yourself

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I'll never get tired of villains putting Hitler in a positive light, it's such a low hanging fruit but always so sweet

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
They retconned that Gwen Stacy/Norman Osborn gross poo poo, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

VanSandman posted:

They retconned that Gwen Stacy/Norman Osborn gross poo poo, right?

No. They just don't talk about it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

And by extension Gwen. Which is fine. Peter moping over her for decade after decade got old fast.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’d love to see someone just spend a few pages retconning all the gross bad poo poo that comes from letting all kinds of people write the same characters for 50 years.

Deadpool maybe. “Remember that time Gwen Stacey hosed Norman Osborn?” “Turns out that never happened”.

No excuses, no new even more terrible retcon. Just straight up “this mistake actually didn’t happen, I dunno why you think it did, because it definitely didn’t”

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jordan7hm posted:

I’d love to see someone just spend a few pages retconning all the gross bad poo poo that comes from letting all kinds of people write the same characters for 50 years.

Deadpool maybe. “Remember that time Gwen Stacey hosed Norman Osborn?” “Turns out that never happened”.

No excuses, no new even more terrible retcon. Just straight up “this mistake actually didn’t happen, I dunno why you think it did, because it definitely didn’t”

You are Dan Slott and I claim my 5 pounds.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Samuringa posted:

I'll never get tired of villains putting Hitler in a positive light, it's such a low hanging fruit but always so sweet

What gets me is that he has facial (skullial?) expressions.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Samuringa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irCY487cM30

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bring back the gwenpool holiday specials

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jordan7hm posted:

This is the tack they took with trying to rehabilitate Ant-Man and all it does is remind people that someone wrote a comic where Norman hosed Gwen Stacey, embedding it even further into the metacanon. It's much better to embrace the canonfluidity of comics and retcon things simply by never mentioning them again because they don't matter because they didn't exist. If you mention it, that means it existed and now no longer does, which is itself an excuse for a retcon, and you will inevitably have someone do the exact same thing to you because they think it's important for the story they're telling that he did and so on ad nauseam.

You don't solve the problem, you compound it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Speaking of which, is Red Skull still a clone of Steve Rogers? I've never followed Captain America that closely, so all I know is what's in the '84 OHOTMU.