Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Suicide is back in the news so its time to start your regularly scheduled culling of morally righteous people having an incredibly stupid opinion and not knowing how to take the L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

All these takes about Anthony Bourdain, and nobody's pointed out that suicide is a cardinal sin and he's surely burning in Hell.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

All these takes about Anthony Bourdain, and nobody's pointed out that suicide is a cardinal sin and he's surely burning in Hell.

We were all thinking it, it's just not really tactful or constructive to make a big deal of it at this juncture.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Waiuting a day out of respect for the dead before saying bourdain is damned to eternal torment, roasting in hellfire, etc.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Generally you want to wait 5 days, 4 days dead is the longest anyone's ever come back from.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

I think what Lowtax is suggesting is that if he, Lowtax, can tough it out and not kill himself for the sake of his daughter, it's pretty weak that fabulously rich celebrity chef cannot

He's probably right. Anyone who lives in Missouri and doesn't kill themselves deserves some sort of medal.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
are we sure he wasn’t just choking himself with his belt whilst pounding off

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah they would probably just prefer to say he passed after a short illness, if they can get away with it

rip mr "moderate conservative" food tv show man

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lowtaxs daughter would be way better off without him

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

He 100% did and that's why his family was so eager to announce it was a run of the mill suicide

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

paul_soccer10 posted:

Lowtaxs daughter would be way better off without him

ew

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Eh, that's not a hot take. Far too common.
Now this is a hot take.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

quote:

Because compromise is bad and the Democrats are actually factually worse than Republicans in the minds of some people.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shaming people for (or prone to) killing themselves via pointing out the people they leave behind need them is like screaming insults at fat people.

Sure, you're technically right and the most basic dumb expectation may be that they're gonna get better due to it, but it's never that, because the fatally depressed just like the morbidly obese usually won't get better when you put them under more pressure.

I for one do genuinely hope he died whacking off, it's always less sad than suicide.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
being fat is exactly like being a parent lol

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

being fat is exactly like being a parent lol

It's not about what's it like, it's about effect of what you say on those people

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's not about you at all if you're a parent

that's kinda the point, and what makes it selfish, and what selfish means in the first place

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Control Volume posted:

Waiuting a day out of respect for the dead before saying bourdain is damned to eternal torment, roasting in hellfire, etc.

Actually, if it was due to mental illness such as depression, that Church can be convinced it wasn't the person's fault and the Soul is saved.

http://www.uscatholic.org/articles/201410/suicide-sin-29503

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, that's nice little white lie to say to the grieving family, but we all know Bourdain is now a Satan's plaything.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I guess being fat sorta is like killing yourself

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, if it was due to mental illness such as depression, that Church can be convinced it wasn't the person's fault and the Soul is saved.

so it's just people that suffered unmanageable pain due to terminal conditions and samurais that performed seppuku in the wood of the self-murderers

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Percelus posted:

so it's just people that suffered unmanageable pain due to terminal conditions and samurais that performed seppuku in the wood of the self-murderers

The official position of the Eastern Orthodox church, you know, the one that split off from the Catholics in 1054, is that we know who has made it, Saints, and that the status of all others is not given to the knowledge of mortal men. Prayers for the dead are considered valid and effectual, and are an inheritance of the Jewish kaddish tradition. So if you are an atheist and want to annoy Aquinas by forcing him to share a space with Bertrand Russel, you can do that by offering a simple prayer for the peace and harmony of the reposed Bertrand Russel's soul.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

MonsieurChoc posted:

this is some Vatican 2 bullshit

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Sedevecantist communism, a wonderful new flower in the garden of varieties of Marxism.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

paul_soccer10 posted:

He 100% did and that's why his family was so eager to announce it was a run of the mill suicide

I would rather people think I accidentally died jerking off

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

pope john paul 2 gently caress off!! bourdain is eternally damned now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
i'm not damned! im not damned!!', i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into an oak tree

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Watergate was actually good

https://twitter.com/Digidiva2018/status/1005215738741702656

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Control Volume posted:

pope john paul 2 gently caress off!! bourdain is eternally damned now

I first read this as Pope John Wick 2 and I prefer to keep it that way

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

General Dog posted:

I think what Lowtax is suggesting is that if he, Lowtax, can tough it out and not kill himself for the sake of his daughter, it's pretty weak that fabulously rich celebrity chef cannot

That, too, is a bad and hot take

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Future archaeologists are going to find out that people from our time all suffered from some form of undiagnosed brain disease like the Romans with their lead poisoning.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

its probably still lead poisoning lol

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

theflyingexecutive posted:

its probably still lead poisoning lol

I spent the first three years of my life being driven around in a car which lacked a catalytic converter and ran on regular gas so I'm probably brain damaged as gently caress.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

I spent the first three years of my life being driven around in a car which lacked a catalytic converter and ran on regular gas so I'm probably brain damaged as gently caress.

i spent a year traveling along mexican highways lol

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Trump was draining the swamp back then? Did Q know this? How far back does THE PLAN actually reach?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/SaiGonSeamus/status/1005108903804219392

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Weirdest thing that I've run into while traveling is people who are dead certain that this or that local protest is some CIA plot of one form or another.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Zeroisanumber posted:

Weirdest thing that I've run into while traveling is people who are dead certain that this or that local protest is some CIA plot of one form or another.

Its probably because of lot of them are

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

imagine combining that with spending 18 hours a day online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Take cover, rapid fire hot takes incoming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tvFHf7zRsQ