Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

After coming from Sony back in the NEX days, Fuji seemed like the pinnacle of menu engineering. I don’t remember any big complaints when I was still shooting Canon either and that was on an older body (a 5D).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Not a huge fan of my Fuji's actual menus but between being able to customize all the controls and the "me"/Q menus you just don't need to use them much.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I like the Oly supermenu thing on the main screen. Fight me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DJExile posted:

I like the Oly supermenu thing on the main screen. Fight me.
:yeah:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

CodfishCartographer posted:

Are there any menus that don't suck?

I honestly don't have any problem with sony menus in the newer bodies. It used to be an abortion but now you can customize it fully that everything you will ever use can be assigned to a button or custom menu so you will only dive into the 19 page menu options once while setting the camera up.

I get the feeling a lot of people who complain don't know how to customize the interface and complain it is too hard to find stuff. You are not meant to use the main menu for quick change of settings.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It's not just menus, I just hate PASM dials.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My biggest "complaints" are the placement and size of the dials coming from Canon which is entirely different placement.

The aperture wheel being placed below the shutter button (versus above) is going to take some time to get used to. Rather than using my index finger above the shutter, its now easier to use my middle finger below which makes sense because I can keep my finger on the shutter. Its funny how my instinct just took over when I tried to change it and was like "WTF, does this not have a aperture whee... oh there it is".

It is nice having a dedicated shutter speed wheel as well (vs the rear dial on a canon body) but the placement seems off to me. I wish the wheel stuck out slightly more than it does or was placed perfectly between where it currently is and the exposure compensation wheel. I don't expect to use the exposure compensation wheel very much but we'll see as time goes on. After casually shooting with it I started to get the hang of it and I have to say I'm super impressed. Eye autofocus is magial as is the facial focusing. The EVF is much cooler than I thought it would be. Seeing the exposure change on the fly is cool and I can see how that will be handy. The manual focus zoom is also really cool for portraits or if I'm trying to nail the focus on the eye. Focus peaking, zebra etc ... can't believe all the tech in this camera.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

keyframe posted:

I honestly don't have any problem with sony menus in the newer bodies. It used to be an abortion but now you can customize it fully that everything you will ever use can be assigned to a button or custom menu so you will only dive into the 19 page menu options once while setting the camera up.

I get the feeling a lot of people who complain don't know how to customize the interface and complain it is too hard to find stuff. You are not meant to use the main menu for quick change of settings.

I used the main menu once to setup my custom settings for landscape and portraits and haven’t used it since.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Verman posted:

My biggest "complaints" are the placement and size of the dials coming from Canon which is entirely different placement.

The aperture wheel being placed below the shutter button (versus above) is going to take some time to get used to. Rather than using my index finger above the shutter, its now easier to use my middle finger below which makes sense because I can keep my finger on the shutter. Its funny how my instinct just took over when I tried to change it and was like "WTF, does this not have a aperture whee... oh there it is".

It is nice having a dedicated shutter speed wheel as well (vs the rear dial on a canon body) but the placement seems off to me. I wish the wheel stuck out slightly more than it does or was placed perfectly between where it currently is and the exposure compensation wheel. I don't expect to use the exposure compensation wheel very much but we'll see as time goes on. After casually shooting with it I started to get the hang of it and I have to say I'm super impressed. Eye autofocus is magial as is the facial focusing. The EVF is much cooler than I thought it would be. Seeing the exposure change on the fly is cool and I can see how that will be handy. The manual focus zoom is also really cool for portraits or if I'm trying to nail the focus on the eye. Focus peaking, zebra etc ... can't believe all the tech in this camera.

EVFs are magic. WYSIWIG color and exposure was such a game changer for me coming from Nikon DSLRs.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Animal posted:

It's not just menus, I just hate PASM dials.

I don’t understand why they are even on anything beyond point and shoots and maybe entry level DSLRs. It is such a waste of space - Fuji does it great (of course since the physical control options have always been stellar) but having a knob simply to control PASM kills me.

Looking back at all of the digital cameras that have come out it is surprising that no one else chose to put so many external controls on them. I mean, it is what people were used to with film and coming from film myself it was a big reason why I clicked with Fuji. Was the novelty of controlling a camera through jog dials and buttons so much that camera manufacturers decided to not use external controls when the switch from analog to digital was happening or was there some other reason?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
PASM is for people who use the camera in the "green" mode most of the time but want to have access to manual control because they paid for it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
PASM is for people who keep it in Aperture Priority 90% of the time but need full control without dealing with menus the other 10%.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

Looking back at all of the digital cameras that have come out it is surprising that no one else chose to put so many external controls on them. I mean, it is what people were used to with film and coming from film myself it was a big reason why I clicked with Fuji. Was the novelty of controlling a camera through jog dials and buttons so much that camera manufacturers decided to not use external controls when the switch from analog to digital was happening or was there some other reason?

I don’t like Fuji’s retro controls and, to me, the front/back jog dials are much faster and the big shutter and exposure dials are as much a waste of space as psam dial.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

bobfather posted:

PASM is for people who keep it in Aperture Priority 90% of the time but need full control without dealing with menus the other 10%.

That's a lot of words to say "everyone".

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Canon has been doing PSAM UI and plastic slipper body since they switched to the EOS platform, that was a lot earlier than the digital transition.

It was a trendy UI in the 90s.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I just realized I have no idea what the P (program?) does in PASM. I always kept my cams in manual other than using AP for timelapses once a while.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's basically full auto minus the pop up flash on most cameras I've used.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
When I first got into photography in the late 90s early 00s, I learned on a traditional film SLR (a ricoh KR10 or something) and so going full manual was merely out of habit. Once I switched to DSLRs, sports and weddings were what taught me to start using shutter/aperture priority where fiddling with certain settings can cause you to miss a shot.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
P is an auto program that will pick an aperture-shutter speed combination but one designed to allow you to quickly override it to force a particular aperture or shutter speed while maintaining the same overall exposure.

Half press shutter. Camera selects f/8 & 1/125s
Use a particular scroll wheel to force f/2.8 (ie three stops faster)
Camera will automatically adjust shutter speed to 1/1000s (ie. Three stops less).

Normally one scroll wheel with adjust aperture and s different one shutter speed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
P is for "professional".

But seriously Fuji is the first system I've trusted to use aperture priority on in a while. Mostly because I can set a min shutter speed in auto ISO and there's a very accessible exp comp dial for when I want to override the cameras choice. Honestly control schemes are highly personal and why you should hold a camera before you buy it. If it doesn't feel right in your hands then it's nit the camera for you.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

tino posted:

Canon has been doing PSAM UI and plastic slipper body since they switched to the EOS platform, that was a lot earlier than the digital transition.

It was a trendy UI in the 90s.

I forgot about those early EOS film bodies. They also had eye af, didn’t they? Still odd that every other camera manufacturer decided to follow suit (and kept the PASM dial but lost the eye af)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

PASM has been a thing since electronically-controlled cameras started to take over the market. I think the Nikon FA was one of the first cameras to actually have a switch with all four modes available on the same control mechanism. (The earlier Minolta XD just had S, A, and M modes... P was only available via turning the aperture and shutter speed dials to min aperture and 1/125 in S mode; vaguely like how you do it with modern Fuji cameras.)

PASM became the standard once autofocus cameras started to take off. You had the "cool technology wow" factor of fully electronic control making this kind of single-knob operation possible, and it does streamline everything, which I can imagine was appreciated by photojournalists, sports photographers and the like. The elimination of mechanical aperture rings and the emergence of the 360° unmarked control wheel created an opportunity to consolidate and shrink down control points which was a boon for efficiency. Heck, all you have to do is set the knob, and both aperture and shutter speed are instantly accessible via small dials that the user can reach with their right thumb and forefinger. That's a huge leap from having to reach between a physical aperture ring on a lens and a top-plate shutter dial.

That was especially the paradigm that Canon EOS and Minolta AF went with when they broke compatibility with their old lens systems to rocket into the amazing new future of electronic autofocus cameras. Still, I think it was the *Minolta* a7 that brought back marked shutter speed and ISO (but obviously not on-lens aperture) dials on a 'modern' camera, kind of like Fuji would go on to do today.

And as much as some might poo poo on PASM (I don't prefer them myself, although I love Canon's implementation of custom setting recall via the PASM dial), it's still a pretty useful way of operating a camera. You really can't say the same for that brief period of insanity when companies were grafting LCD digital watch controls on to their cameras. Minolta experimented with this idea too, on their first AF camera, the a7000. There's nothing much else like using the undersized, mushy plastic buttons of an a7000 to walk up and down a list of shutter speed and aperture valies displayed on a stamp-sized monochrome LCD screen... nothing much, except for the Pentax 645, which at least has the excuse of being a manual-focus medium format camera that most users wouldn't need to go to fast with anyway.

Or just say gently caress it too all that bullshit and get back to the ultimate basic status afforded by the EOS 650: no lens aperture, no shutter speed control; nothing but P, all of the time.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

SMERSH Mouth posted:

That was especially the paradigm that Canon EOS and Minolta AF went with when they broke compatibility with their old lens systems to rocket into the amazing new future of electronic autofocus cameras. Still, I think it was the *Minolta* a7 that brought back marked shutter speed and ISO (but obviously not on-lens aperture) dials on a 'modern' camera, kind of like Fuji would go on to do today.

The Maxxum 600si brought back some dials, but the Maxxum 9 brought back the most (Exp, FlashComp, Drive Mode, PASM, a few other things) but the UI was really cemented in the 7 which was the better camera overall, unless you used your camera to hammer nails.

The Minolta Maxxum 7 (and 9) didn't use physical shutter speed and ISO dials, but it did have physical Exp Comp, Flash Comp, Drive Mode, and PASM with memory. It still used command dials to set aperture and shutter. There were many physical controls too, like AF point mode, locks, metering, and so on. ISO was easily settable (either automatically or in the main screen). It was, as far as I know, the first body to put memory modes on the mode dial.

The big feature on the original 7 was the rear LCD which was basically like our DSLR rear screens for displaying settings. It even had a meter readout that showed you all the values on the honeycombs. It also had many dedicated buttons, versus the (still insane IMO) EOS four-button two wheels do different things method. Imagine having an actual DSLR-like menu of settings instead of cryptic top LCD function numbers. The 7 had those thanks to the rear screen.

The 7D brought this over to digital wholesale, along with a few more physical control rings for White Balance, AF modes, and so on. The people who bought those cameras loved the knobs (and the specially tuned CCD filter colors) but the AF was dog slow, the drive speed was so-so, and the flash metering was awful. The 600si-Maxxum 9-Maxxum 7-Maxxum 7D lineage still mostly live on in the 7/9 series Sony SLTs... minus some of the knobs. a700 killed some of the knobs in favor of QuickNavi.

Retro-bugs hadn't hit in 2004, people were still chasing basic things like image quality and responsiveness.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

gently caress the a7iii is seriously making me consider switching over from Canon. Can I keep my Canon lenses without sacificing af speed?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KinkyJohn posted:

Can I keep my Canon lenses without sacificing af speed?

Bear in mind this is relating my situation going from Olympus DSLR to Olympus mirrorless, which did still need an adapter: This is one of those "Yes, if.../No, but..." things. It'll depend on the lens. Mirrorless systems that can run AF on DSLR lenses aren't usually built to focus the typically larger/heavier DSLR lenses like big fast telephotos. My EM5 mk1 had a brutal time trying to focus a 35-100mm f/2.0, which is an absolute pig of a lens, but the EM1 was a little more successful with it. Lenses on the wider end seemed to focus better.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I've investigated it and it sounds like AF performance is compromised. It's probably fine for personal use or static-ish portraits where you have time, but I wouldn't rely on it for paid stuff like weddings or events myself.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

KinkyJohn posted:

gently caress the a7iii is seriously making me consider switching over from Canon. Can I keep my Canon lenses without sacificing af speed?

It depends on what adapter you use, what lenses you intend to use, and what drive modes you intend to use.

You won't sacrifice speed (a lot of lenses focus quickly on Metabones) but unless you use an a9 you're limited to AF-C inbetween frames in Continuous Lo only (3 FPS).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I picked up a Fuji 16mm f1.4 lens, oh man, this thing is awesome. After only ever using the 18-55 kit lens, which is awesome, it is helping me learn a lot more. I love how you well you can manipulate the shallow depth of field with it.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Crossposting from the gear thread:

taco show posted:

I tried to shoot a bunch of still lifes this past week and I need a shutter trigger even with the tripod. I tried to get the Fuji-recommended one (RR-90) and it definitely does not fit in my XT-2. The slot that's in the panel on my camera is much fatter than the RR-90 plug.

I ended up using the Fuji remote phone app, but it ate through my batteries very quickly, and you have to use the app to modify aperture/ISO/shutter speed - the mechanical dials on the camera don't change the settings.

So what is the ideal set up? What's the right shutter release? Should I give up on the shutter release and figure out how to tether to Lightroom? Is there a better way to power the camera?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I thoughy Fuji released its tether solution so you can shoot from a PC?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Internet Explorer posted:

I picked up a Fuji 16mm f1.4 lens, oh man, this thing is awesome. After only ever using the 18-55 kit lens, which is awesome, it is helping me learn a lot more. I love how you well you can manipulate the shallow depth of field with it.

I like the 16mm but still have some difficulty getting good at handling the wide FOV, especially with how shallow the dof of a scene can get at the lower end. I keep inadvertantly ending up with wide scenes with a one foot dof somewhere in the middle if I'm not careful.

The 35/f2 is literal magic though, its almost replaced my 18-55 entirely.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The 35/f2 is literal magic though, its almost replaced my 18-55 entirely.

Seriously... mine has not left my X-T2 since I got it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

A7 fact check

drat, you're right. I was going off my own memory instead of looking it up.

(I've only handled one a7. It was at a camera swap meet a few years ago. I'll always remember because there was a guy towards the end who was trying to offload a LNIB a7, 50mm, 24mm, and 70-210mm (all in the same like-new condition) for $70. I didn't buy it. Instead, the 'deal' I walked away with was a dog poo poo F3P with what turned out to be a half-broken shutter. Worst camera great purchasing decision I've ever made.)

Edit:

taco show posted:

Crossposting from the gear thread:

If the main concern is just vibration from depressing the shutter button ...wouldn't enabling the 2-second delay be the answer? At least until you can get the right remote.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 8, 2018

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Oh my god my new X-E3 with the 23mm f/2 lens is just so many levels of :circlefap: it runs circles around my X100S. The autofocus speed is just ridiculously fast, the electronic shutter is literally quiet, and the mechanical shutter made me realize how much I missed having a nice-sounding mechanical shutter. The continuous drive being super-fast also feels really nice.

The touch-screen controls feel a bit weird, though; it doesn't take too long to get used to them, but I like using the EVF and that disables the touch screen. This is annoying for switching ISOs since you have to swipe down to switch ISO speed, so I mapped that to the fn button instead. I also really wish the tripod mount was actually in the center because I can't mount my strap mount in the tripod hole without blocking the battery and SD card door, so I'm getting a grip tomorrow to compensate for that.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

KinkyJohn posted:

Best to go native for best AF performance. Which canon lenses do you plan on carrying over?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Casull posted:

Oh my god my new X-E3 with the 23mm f/2 lens is just so many levels of :circlefap: it runs circles around my X100S. The autofocus speed is just ridiculously fast, the electronic shutter is literally quiet, and the mechanical shutter made me realize how much I missed having a nice-sounding mechanical shutter. The continuous drive being super-fast also feels really nice.

The touch-screen controls feel a bit weird, though; it doesn't take too long to get used to them, but I like using the EVF and that disables the touch screen. This is annoying for switching ISOs since you have to swipe down to switch ISO speed, so I mapped that to the fn button instead. I also really wish the tripod mount was actually in the center because I can't mount my strap mount in the tripod hole without blocking the battery and SD card door, so I'm getting a grip tomorrow to compensate for that.

I'm seriously considering picking a. Xe3 up after turning on the pro1 for the first time recently and remembering how slow the AF is. How do you find the size? I think that's my only concern as I have larger hands.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Picked up the Laowa 9mm for my XH1. One day, just shooting around the yard, but it's nice to have an ultrawide again.

Edit: Need to change to the right focal length when I have a manual lens on. I have it set for my 50mm 1.4 M42.

9mm Chicken by B. B., on Flickr

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Aargh posted:

I'm seriously considering picking a. Xe3 up after turning on the pro1 for the first time recently and remembering how slow the AF is. How do you find the size? I think that's my only concern as I have larger hands.

I have fairly tiny hands so the size is all right for me, but I also have a thumbgrip in the flash hotshoe so my thumb can rest on there and gives me some more grip. I'm also getting a mount on the bottom to give me a bit more grip for my fingers and so the tripod mount is in the center of the camera (why, Fuji, would you off-center the tripod mount so it blocks the battery and SD card slot?!)

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Yeah I think I need to get my hands on one and have a play around. I've tried an xt20 in store and that seemed ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I sold all of my XF lenses and my X-T10 this week to gather funds to get an X100F as my only camera. Holy God was that a great decision. I spent the whole day shooting and had an absolute blast. What a great camera.