Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Spirit of the Beehive

Someone on a different forum used the phrase "a matrix of symbols" to describe what this movie slowly winds itself around, and I think that's a pleasing way to describe it. Around the halfway point I realized I didn't know enough about the only thing I knew this movie was about (Franco, etc) to really engage with it on a politically symbolic level, but there are plenty of other layers and connections happening to make it work as more than an unusually viscous allegory. A lot of the movie I spent reflecting on my own childhood in the fields - Erice does a great job of feeling out the big, empty loneliness of being a kid in a space as broad and endless as the ruined Spanish plains. Brown going on as far as you can see, until it rises unexpectedly and meets the flat sheet of white sky, as if you're trapped in an envelope. The main character, Ana, is fascinated by an empty building her older, mischievous sister tells her is where Frankenstein lives. She goes there, her face as open and curious as it can be, and there's nothing, just broken bricks and dirt, but the possibility remains. A space exists to be filled.

Their parents move about them, enigmatic, quiet, hardly existing or interacting. The husband is a beekeeper, writing a poem about the toiling, sleepless bees, and the wife write letters to a mysterious lover. There is limited action - time exists to be filled, too, and that's mostly the duty of the audience. The characters pass through spaces, waiting. Honey-colored light (it's impossible to talk about the lighting any other way) washes the interiors of their big, empty house. Doors of empty rooms line up to create suggested hallways, which characters pass through, ignoring the rooms themselves, moving from point to point. The mother plaintively plays a piano that's out of tune, the father opens a pocketwatch that plays a folksy, upbeat tune, and snaps it shut. There's this sense of life being ground to a halt, of suffocation and despair rolling from one end of the horizon to the other, as if the landscape itself were depressed.

But the kids make do. They see Frankenstein, and a myth is concocted to fit their surroundings, and they live inside the myth. In a rare moment of onscreen parental love, their father takes them mushroom-hunting, and teaches them what his own grandfather taught him about good mushrooms and bad mushrooms. Why does this scene feel so fitting? It's a neat example of the movie's subtle sense of interconnectivity. Don't pick a mushroom if you're not sure if it's poisonous, he says - a rule is developed, which shapes a mystery into a more orderly form. Ana and her sister run about the great nothingness surrounding them, trying to find order. They develop, slowly, against all odds, catching whatever sense they can and bending it into reason. To call the spirit, Ana's sister says, she has to close her eyes and say, "I'm Ana". She goes to the window and does so, and stands in the light from the moon, looking back into the dark bedroom.

It's difficult to make an enigma satisfying, but it's weirdly pleasurable to feel around in this movie and never quite grasp its meaning. Maybe it's because that's how it feels to be a kid, making it up as you go along and having the creeping suspicion that there's some kind of order that nobody's telling you about yet. It's just a lot of pieces that hold together by your own internal logic, even if you can't tell exactly what connects them.

9/10

shamezone

1) A Poem Is A Naked Person - more blank
2) Shoah - i will try
3) A Short Film About Killing - poland
4) The Pillow Book - skin movie
5) The Tree of Wooden Clogs - mike leigh's favorite
6) Ugetsu - tspdt 1000!!
7) Colossal - recent rave
8) Veronika Voss - fassbinder continued
9) Heaven's Gate - dirt movie
10) Desert Hearts - sand movie

[full list] Floating Weeds 9/10, Daisies 8/10, Stray Dog 8/10, Victim 6/10, Man Bites Dog 9/10, Night and Fog 10/10, Weekend 8/10, Jubilee 10/10, Sans Soleil 10/10, Candidate 8/10, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 10/10, The Freshman 5/10, Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers 10/10, Branded to Kill 8/10, In Heaven There Is No Beer? 10/10, Blood Simple 10/10, The Marriage of Maria Braun 7/10, A Day In The Country 7/10, A Brief History of Time 10/10, Gates of Heaven 10/10, The Thin Blue Line 10/10, The Fog of War 10/10, My Beautiful Laundrette 10/10, Blind Chance 8/10, My Winnipeg 10/10, The River 7/10, Odd Man Out 8/10, The Passion of Anna 9/10, Brute Force 10/10, The Rite 5/10, The Piano Teacher 10/10, Ashes and Diamonds 7/10, Meantime 9/10, Carnival of Souls 8/10, La Notte 10/10, Frances Ha 10/10, L'avventura, Again 10/10, A Room With a View 9/10, Laura 8/10, Marjorie Prime 10/10, Ex Machina 8/10, Tampopo 10/10, Pickpocket 4/10, Harlan County USA 10/10, The Spirit of the Beehive (total: 146)

ratedargh, I count half of your list as being some of my favorite films, which makes this choice difficult, but I'll give you Cleo From 5 to 7, which totally changed how I view movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

9) Heaven's Gate - dirt movie

One Cimino deserves another.

The Deer Hunter(1978)

An in-depth examination of the ways in which the U.S. Vietnam War impacts and disrupts the lives of people in a small industrial town in Pennsylvania.

Very difficult film. The whole of the first act is spent trying to create this Russian-American community around the wedding of Steven(John Savage) one of the film central 3 male friends, but that is all filler cause The Godfather this aint. There's nothing here about Russia-American communities, in the same manner as Coppola plays out all Sicilian community quirks in those first 30 minutes of his crime epic. A working class life is being evoked here, with the steel factory looming over the town, but the factory or even working occupies no ones mind. The only form of strife in this place is reserved for women, who of course just get smacked around and simply endure it. This is a male idyllic world, where there is no real preoccupations with anything material or even physical, just the spiritual. Robert De Niro plays the titular deer hunter, Mike Vronsky who seems to achieve macho nirvana in the wilderness, and hunting for deer. One with nature and all that. This is a man's world but all imagined by boys, who are in all honestly the only kind of people concerned with bring a real man. This is what boys think men should be. Stoic and cold around women, loud and boastful with their pals, but even the most of rowdy men can recognize beauty as they all shut up and pay attention to Chopin(?) being played on the piano. Even the love triangle at the center of the film is distant and sexless. Mike and Nicky(Christopher Walken) seem to only show any form of appreciation or love for Linda(Merly Streep) in her most pure form, a black and white profile picture. This is all about the men, and their very deep and totally meaningful friendships. The war does not disrupt the community, it disrupts the male rituals of friendship. Really the opening act reminded me of one of those Bruce Springsteen songs, but with all the sober and dark tones cut out, so you only left out with the cars and rivers. If it wasn't for the aggressive homophobia, you could probably do a queer reading of this whole film. Nicky gazing into Mike in the bar during the piano scene says a lot.

Then the Vietnam part of the film starts, and there's a fantastic cut here. It's no Lawrence blowing a lit matchstick into the burning desert sky, but going from the somber Chopin(?) piano scene into helicopters raining hellfire into a Vietnamese village. The Vietnam side of the film is also where all it's best stuff are, it's also where all the insane racism is. Just right after that great scene that opens the action in Vietnam, we get a North Vietnamese soldier dropping a grenade into a hiding space where Vietnamese villagers were hiding. What the gently caress. But the film does not simply portray the N. Vietnamese and it's soldiers as maniacs and evil doers. The whole of Vietnam, and it's people, is this swirling mass of chaos, death, and degeneracy. The proud Americans go to Vietnam, but it's not the war that gets them, it's the violence of the country and it's people, North or South they all play the same russian roulette games.

Yet I don't dislike the film all that much. It's long, but I never really felt it's length, it's biggest problem is not knowing when to stop it's scenes. Despite all the poo poo around them, the russian roulette scenes are incredibly tense and breath taking, the escape from the prisoner camp is also nerve racking. And I would be lying if Mike Vronsky silently breaking in his motel after coming home isn't powerful. The cast is all great, with a big shout out to Merly Streep for doing a small miracle out of nothing. It has some amazing moments, moments where Cimino overcomes the people he is trying to emulate(Coppola and Scorsese), but it has such a limited vision of the world, with no real love for it's characters for most part. There's an ideal here trying to be reached, but never fully realized.

SHAME Part III The Director's Cut:

Rio Bravo John Wayne nooooooooo

The Crime of Monsieur Lange Renoir

Paisan Keeping my voyage through Italy with another Scorsese favourite

Tristana The other Bunuel and Deneuve collaboration

Sullivan's Travels Was quite cold on The Lady Eve so hoping this is better

Cairo Station Going completely blind on this

Wag the Dog So I can understand all those Trump wagging dog headlines

I Am Cuba :ussr:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind animes

The Great Silence Corbucci's other well known big Western

Have watched so far 80 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante, Cache, The Leopard, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Dancer in the Dark, How Green Was My Valley, Vivre sa Vie, Harvey, The Earrings of Madame de..., The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Tokyo Drifter, The Player, Intolerable Cruelty, The Insider, Late Spring, Munich, Juliet of the Spirits, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, La Chienne, Le Cercle Rouge, The Lady Eve, Primer, Roma città aperta, Black Narcissus, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Simon of the Desert, A Foreign Affair, Branded to Kill, In Bruges, Black Swan, The White Diamond, The Sting, Romeo + Juliet, Bronson, The Magician, 2046, Witness for Prosecution, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I Vitelloni, Sonatine, Ivan's Childhood, Week End, Ninotchka, Gone Girl, Inside Llewyn Davis, Under the Skin, The Thin Blue Line, Withnail & I, Manhunter, The Young Girls of Rochefort, Carol, Pickpocket, The Deer Hunter

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Electronico6 posted:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind animes
Get it.

Tokyo Story (1953):
This movie made me sad like movies rarely make me sad. A lot of my extended family’s passed away in the last few years, and it was very easy to recognize the different types of family sympathy, selfishness, function and dysfunction that rears its head around family events like that.
The exploration of expectation and disappointment across generational lines was very sensitive and rang very true. I liked the movie a lot.

LIST:

1. Strike (1925): Communist propaganda

2. Triumph of the Will (1935): Nazi propaganda

3. Gaslight (1944): Not Gaslight (1940)

4. Singin’ in the Rain (1952): What a glorious feeling!

5. 8 1/2 (1963): From the tspdt 1000.

6. Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975): Never seen a Pasolini

7. Do the Right Thing (1989): Never seen a Spike Lee

8. Showgirls (1995): Last 90s Verhoeven I haven’t seen.

9. Gran Torino (2008): “Retired auto worker and Korean War vet Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood) fills emptiness in his life with beer and home repair...”

10. Get Out (2017): Kinda missed the boat on this one.

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954); The Godfather (1972); City Lights (1931); Blade Runner (1982); Sunrise (1927); Modern Times (1936); The Wizard of Oz (1939); GoodFellas (1990); A History of Violence (2005); No Country for Old Men (2007); Scanners (1981); Bicycle Thieves (1948); Metropolis (1927); Gone With the Wind (1939); Tokyo Story (1953)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

the_tasman_series posted:

7. Do the Right Thing (1989): Never seen a Spike Lee

A change of pace from Tokyo Story - enjoy!

The Last Emperor
About 2/3rds of the way through, I paused it to go and research the plot to make sure I wasn't missing anything, as the narrative felt a little messy - only to discover there's a 338 minute version that was on the Criterion DVD, but left off of the blu-ray. That explains it! Otherwise than a few hiccups here and there, it was a beautiful and well-done film from the same director / cinematographer pairing that gave us The Conformist and many others. It's hard to argue how it won all 9 Oscars that it was nominated for in 1988. Every facet of this film was impressive, and in that sense I'm glad I had the bluray. One day I'll come back around to this and seek out the extended version.

LIST

Animal Crackers [1930 - 97mins] - (2018.03.14) - time to dive into the Marx Brothers set a bit further (blind-bought boxsets)

Avanti! [1972 - 140mins] - (2017.06.07) - keeping a Jack Lemmon film on here with another Billy Wilder collaboration. (Jack Lemmon)

Cactus Flower [1969 - 103mins] - **OLDEST** (2017.04.28) - my Walter Matthau choice, and with Ingrid Bergman! (Walter Matthau)

Grizzly Man [2005 - 103mins] - (2018.03.17) - one of Herzog's best... so I've heard. (documentary)

In the Heat of the Night [1967 - 109mins] - (2018.03.01) - adding one more "Best Picture" winner - this one by a Canadian director ... [too late now] (unwatched DVD)

The Little Foxes [1941 - 115mins] - (2018.04.21) - from one of Bette's later roles in 'Sweet Charlotte to one of her earlier ones. (Bette Davis)

My Darling Clementine [1946 - 97mins] - (2017.09.02) - Westerns still aren't a top priority, even after loving just about every one I watch. (western)

Paprika [2006 - 90mins] - (2018.03.23) - I've only watched Millennium Actress from director Satoshi Kon... I want to see more. (animated)

Safe [1995 - 119mins] - **NEW** (2018.04.29) - seems like one of those "I should see it, even if it won't exactly be a pleasant experience" kind of films.. (Criterion)

Wings [1927 - 144mins] - (2018.02.18) - adding the first Best Picture winner to hopefully get this in before the Oscars ... [too late now] (unwatched bluray)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), The Young Girls of Rochefort (4.5/5), Patton (4/5), Mon Oncle (4.5/5), The Big City (4.5/5), Only Yesterday (5/5), The Silence (4.5/5), Life Itself (4/5), Chicken Run (4/5), Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (4/5), The Last Emperor (3.5/5), [Total:187]

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Watch this, it's good:

friendo55 posted:

In the Heat of the Night [1967 - 109mins] - (2018.03.01) - adding one more "Best Picture" winner - this one by a Canadian director ... [too late now] (unwatched DVD)

Bicycle Thieves

A man's bike gets stolen. He and his son try to get it back.

Last film was a product of postwar Japan, this one postwar Italy. Here the focus is on the poverty and mass unemployment that followed the war.

The film quickly establishes the hardship the family is facing. It opens with a crowd of unemployed men all begging an official for work. Antonio lands a job as a bill poster, but he needs a bicycle or someone else will take his place. He'd previously pawed the bike, and to get it back his wife pawns the bed linen.
The stakes on the face of it seem small - a low paid job and a battered old bike - but the film is effective at showing just what they mean to this young family.
The bicycle now set up as a Big Deal, the eye is constantly drawn to it. Every time Antonio turns his back on it I was expecting someone to swipe it. There's a scene where he asks a kid playing in the street to guard it and there was real tension there.

It seems like a hopeless task to find one bike in the whole of Rome. Most street shots are full of cyclists and bikes chained to railings and right away they show most stolen bikes are broken up for parts.

We see that the post war austerity doesn't hit everyone, where in a restaurant Antonio's son Bruno is sat back to back with a child of a rich family. They glance at each other but don't interact.

I almost had to look away when he's eyeing up the unattended bike. The ending was such a downer, I'd really hoped for a happy resolution. Can't deny it was effective.

My List:

1) (highest ranked imdb) Life is Beautiful

2) (classic comedy) The Producers (1967) I've loved 50% of Mel Brooks' films that I've seen

3) (animation) The Lord of the Rings (1978) The books and Jackson's films were favourites of my childhood/teenage years and I'd like to see this oddball one.

4) (Academy Award winner) The English Patient Voldemort in Love

5) (foreign language) M (1931) Silent era director makes his first talkie.

6) (Monster) The Creature from the Black Lagoon So this guy's a sex symbol now right?

7) (Horror) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) Never saw the whole film

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Forbidden Planet Robbie the Robot looks adorable

9) (epic) Ben Hur (1959) Probably the first thing that comes into my head when I think of the term 'epic film'

10) (wildcard) Deliverance :banjo:

Watched (23): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 30, 2018

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

7) (Horror) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) Never saw the whole film
this.

Funny Games (1997) - So, violence in film is ugly, and i should feel bad for enjoying it. Sure, whatever. Anything else? Because to me it just felt like a lot of moralizing and I'm not really up for that right now. 2/5

List:

Early Summer - watched Late Spring earlier this year and really need to catch up on Ozu

Goodbye, Dragon Inn - been watching a lot of Taiwanese films lately, I should probably check out Tsai Ming-liang. Also it's probably not too relevant, but I loved Dragon Inn

Rio Bravo - know the song, never saw the film

The Music Room - probably not the recommended place to start with Satyajit Ray, but I bought it and should really watch it

Les Vampires - need to watch more silents and I just saw Irma Vep and loved it

Gates of Heaven - documentaries

Fitzcarraldo - I've seen Aguirre, but that's it so far for Herzog

Tremors - horror

Tristana - Buñuel is one of my all time favorites, but I still have a few to watch

The Piano Teacher - should probably give Haneke at least one more shot

Completed(25): A Nightmare on Elm Street [4/5], Vertigo [5/5], Repulsion [4/5], Last Year at Marienbad [5/5], Blade Runner[4/5], Akira [5/5], Rear Window [5/5], A Brighter Summer Day [5/5], Rosemary's Baby [5/5], Close Encounters of the Third Kind [4/5], The Godfather Part 2 [5/5], Citizen Kane [5/5], Godzilla [5/5], Psycho [5/5], The Exorcist [4/5], The Blair Witch Project [4/5], Cléo from 5 to 7 [5/5], Faces [4/5], North by Northwest [4/5], Moonlight [5/5], The Act of Killing [5/5], Adaptation [5/5], Ran [5/5], Yi Yi [5/5], Funny Games [2/5]
letterboxd

[/quote]

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Nobody enjoys that movie as much as I do but I continue to make people watch it.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The actors I thought were fantastic. And the direction (even with the literal winking at the audience) was good. The egg scene worked very well. Watched an interview on youtube afterwards and that didn’t help. I don’t think it’s trash I’m just not buying what he’s selling. I won’t judge anyone for loving it but I might prefer a different flavor of despair.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

FancyMike posted:

Fitzcarraldo - I've seen Aguirre, but that's it so far for Herzog

I just saw Fitzcarraldo last weekend, and it's a true joy. Kind of the flip side of the coin to Aguirre in a lot of ways.

Do the Right Thing (1989):
An incredible comedy/drama about racial tension, set in 1980s Bedstuy. Beautifully and stylistically shot. It’s really incredible that the movie maintains a sense of lightheartedness considering the subject matter and the climax of the film.
I liked this one a lot.

LIST:

3. Gaslight (1944): Not Gaslight (1940).

5. 8 1/2 (1963): From the tspdt Top Ten.

7. The Breakfast Club (1985): A movie that everyone’s seen.

9. Gran Torino (2008): “Retired auto worker and Korean War vet Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood) fills emptiness in his life with beer and home repair...”

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954); The Godfather (1972); City Lights (1931); Blade Runner (1982); Sunrise (1927); Modern Times (1936); The Wizard of Oz (1939); GoodFellas (1990); A History of Violence (2005); No Country for Old Men (2007); Scanners (1981); Bicycle Thieves (1948); Metropolis (1927); Gone With the Wind (1939); Tokyo Story (1953); Do the Right Thing (1989)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Here you go:

7. The Breakfast Club (1985): A movie that everyone’s seen.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

Banned from cinemas and home video here in the UK during the Video Nasty moral panic and not released until the late 90s.
The most shocking thing about the film is how reactionary, conservative and stupid the UK was in the 70s and 80s.

According to Wikipedia, the creator was going for a PG rating which is pretty funny given the film's infamy.
It's very light on blood and gore, but it nevertheless feels brutal - mostly. There's a scene with Leatherface butchering a body with a chainsaw with no blood and it's angled so you don't see anything. It's kind of weird, like he's miming it.

The family are interesting and we're introduced to each of them individually before we learn they're related, which I think was a great choice. It culminates in a disturbing family meal with Leatherface playing mother.

The ending is satisfying.

My List:

2) (classic comedy) The Producers (1967) I've loved 50% of Mel Brooks' films that I've seen

3) (animation) The Lord of the Rings (1978) The books and Jackson's films were favourites of my childhood/teenage years and I'd like to see this oddball one.

6) (Monster) The Creature from the Black Lagoon So this guy's a sex symbol now right?

7) (Horror) Scanners That gif

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Forbidden Planet Robbie the Robot looks adorable

9) (epic) Ben Hur (1959) Probably the first thing that comes into my head when I think of the term 'epic film'

Watched (24): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

Being as I just watched a Best Picture winner, I'll pass that along to you. Enjoy!

In the Heat of the Night
An understandable Best Picture winner, and a great film, but one I'm not gonna be rushing to see again soon. Sidney Poitier is great as homicide detective Virgil Tibbs who only wanted to catch his 4:05am train back to Memphis, and Rod Steiger is equally great as the conflicted Chief Gillespie in a racial Mississippi town with inexperience handling a murder case. I'm sure this would play much differently at the time in the US compared to seeing it now - apparently the slapping scene had Jewison worried people would react comically, but when he saw the stunned silence, he knew it was effective. The score from Quincy Jones was also fantastic.

LIST

Animal Crackers [1930 - 97mins] - (2018.03.14) - time to dive into the Marx Brothers set a bit further (blind-bought boxsets)

Avanti! [1972 - 140mins] - (2017.06.07) - keeping a Jack Lemmon film on here with another Billy Wilder collaboration. (Jack Lemmon)

The Best of Youth [2003 - 366mins!] - **NEW** (2018.05.01) - if I'm ever going to commit to watch this one, it'll be from this list. (unwatched DVD)

Cactus Flower [1969 - 103mins] - **OLDEST** (2017.04.28) - my Walter Matthau choice, and with Ingrid Bergman! (Walter Matthau)

Grizzly Man [2005 - 103mins] - (2018.03.17) - one of Herzog's best... so I've heard. (documentary)

The Little Foxes [1941 - 115mins] - (2018.04.21) - from one of Bette's later roles in 'Sweet Charlotte to one of her earlier ones. (Bette Davis)

My Darling Clementine [1946 - 97mins] - (2017.09.02) - Westerns still aren't a top priority, even after loving just about every one I watch. (western)

Paprika [2006 - 90mins] - (2018.03.23) - I've only watched Millennium Actress from director Satoshi Kon... I want to see more. (animated)

Safe [1995 - 119mins] - (2018.04.29) - seems like one of those "I should see it, even if it won't exactly be a pleasant experience" kind of films.. (Criterion)

Wings [1927 - 144mins] - (2018.02.18) - adding the first Best Picture winner to hopefully get this in before the Oscars ... [too late now] (unwatched bluray)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), The Young Girls of Rochefort (4.5/5), Patton (4/5), Mon Oncle (4.5/5), The Big City (4.5/5), Only Yesterday (5/5), The Silence (4.5/5), Life Itself (4/5), Chicken Run (4/5), Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (4/5), The Last Emperor (3.5/5), In the Heat of the Night (4/5), [Total:188]

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

friendo55, see Animal Crackers. One of my favorite Marz Brothers movies.

Just saw The General. Never saw a Buster Keaton movie before this. I really enjoyed it. He doesn't seem to have the familiarity and lovability factor that Chaplin's tramp has, but I really enjoyed his blank expressions when things went wrong. I also liked that it really didn't go as far as Chaplin does into sentimentality. While I think that can work, sometimes I think Chaplin gets a little too carried away with the sentimentality. The story really swept me up and carried the film. Also saw the special features on the DVD version. It taught me a lot about the real life General locomotive and had an intro by Orson Welles, which was really interesting.

My List:
The Shootist - Feel like it's time for another John Wayne movie.

The Aviator - I don't know anything about this movie.

Jabberwocky - Following up one Terry Gilliam movie with another.

Sherlock Jr. - Another Buster Keaton movie. NEWEST

The Cocoanuts - Working my way through the Marx Brothers movies. This is their first movie.

The Cat Returns - Need to see some more Studio Ghibli. Sequel to Whisper of the Heart OLDEST

Stray Dog - Starting to run out of Kurosawa films. What a great director.

Oklahoma - Don't know anything about it. Next on my musicals list.

Die Nibelungen - Interested in seeing another Fritz Lang picture.

To Catch a Thief - More Hitchcock here.

King Creole - Adding a new slot here for Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles movies. Starting with one of Elvis'.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton, Howl's Moving Castle, The King and I, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Kiki's Delivery Service, The King's Speech, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, The Graduate, Whisper of the Heart, The 39 Steps, Ran, Notorious, True Grit, North By Northwest, Rope, Dersu Uzala, Vertigo, Avatar, Gangs of New York, House of Wax, Wall Street, Life of Pi, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari,The Big Lebowski, Dial M for Murder, V For Vendetta, King Kong, Dodesukaden, Labyrinth, Reds,Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,Strangers on a Train,The Fast and the Furious, Faust, Eraserhead, A Day at the Races,The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Shadow of a Doubt, Lost in Translation, The General

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Dmitri, I liked The Aviator a lot, so hopefully you will too.

Now, for my review. Well, it was no Birdemic

I just finished Hitchcock’s The Birds, and it’s the first Hitchcock I’ve ever actively disliked. This is the story of a spoiled rich woman stalking a man she barely knows because she has nothing better to do with her time. She spends close to thirty minutes of our time on this task, then has dinner with the man’s mother and much younger sister (played by one of the worst child actors I’ve ever seen). At about this point I found myself uttering the Eight Deadly Words, and there wasn’t much chance of coming back after that. I feel like Hitchcock was trying to recreate his earlier success with Psycho by having a very long intro before the action got started. The difference is that Marion’s stealing money and her paranoid flight from the law was inherently interesting- it’s often been observed that Hitchcock could make a whole movie around that premise. By contrast, Melanie’s flirting with Mitch is boring. There’s very little conflict there, just a lot of foreshadowing and some ham-fisted psychoanalysis of Mitch’s Oedipus complex.

As a result, once the action finally started I wasn’t invested enough to care. The birds themselves didn’t seem to follow any rules- sometimes they would swarm, sometimes they would just sit there. I get that the fear was supposed to come from the unpredictability, but if I had just seen a swarm of birds try to kill people I wouldn’t think “walk slowly past them” would be a safe strategy. It’s a bit of an Idiot Plot- there were so many opportunities for the characters to die, and they just don’t, for no clear reason except that the movie wasn’t over. There were a few effective scenes towards the end once they were under siege, boarding up the windows and beating back the monsters trying to force their way in (George Romero clearly saw this movie). Melanie stupidly walking into a room (that turned out to be full of birds) and mostly shutting the door behind her was ridiculous, though. She was simply too dumb to live at that point, but she survived anyway. Then they just drove off and it ends. I do like that it’s left ambiguous whether they survived (Stephen King’s “The Mist” also drew some inspiration from this, especially the scene where a woman accuses Melanie of causing the attacks). Overall, though, I just didn’t enjoy this movie, and was frequently checking the time to see how much longer I had to wait.

Rating: 2/4

P.S. Hitchcock was terrible to Tippi Hedren during the making of this movie, allegedly sexually assaulting her. That didn’t affect my viewing, I don’t think, but I feel I should acknowledge that #metoo is not a new thing.

124. The Rules of the Game- I opened the They Shoot Pictures list, and this is number five. I've never even heard of it.

132. Five Easy Pieces- Continuing the Ebert list, I somehow skipped over this one.

135. Man with a Movie Camera- Fourth wall? Never heard of it.

139. Birth of a Nation: Oh, boy, this is the big one. This is not a movie you watch for fun, but it's a movie that needs to be seen by anyone who cares about film history.

140. Inland Empire: Want some more David Lynch.

141. Drag Me to Hell: A horror film by Sam Raimi. I like both of those things!

144. Eraserhead: David Lynch hasn't let me down yet. I saw parts of this with some friends once- seemed very weird and abstract, almost like German expressionism.

146. Bride of Frankenstein: Like I said, Frankenstein was disappointing, and I don't think the monster would have become an icon without the sequel that is supposedly much better.

147. Stalker: Tarkovsky was a Russian who made a lot of movies.

148. Notorious: More Hitchcock, one of his most... well-known? Infamous? What's the word I'm looking for?

Okay, tell me what I'm watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4, The Usual Suspects: 3/4, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: 4/4, Rain Man: 3.5/4, The Lost Weekend: 3.5/4, Ratatouille: 3/4, City of God: 4/4, Ed Wood: 4/4, Top Gun: 2.5/4, Trois Couleurs: Bleu: 3.5/4, The Hidden Fortess: 3/4, First Blood: 4/4, The Ten Commandments:3.5/4, Patton: 3.5/4, The Bourne Supremacy:3.5/4, King Lear (1983): 2.5/4, Repo Man: 2.5/4, King Kong: 3.5/4, Wall Street: 3/4, The Blues Brothers: 2/4, Trois Couleurs: Blanc: 2.5/4, Trois Couleurs: Rouge: 3.5/4, Animal House: 1.5/4, Ben-Hur: 3.5/4, Gojira: 4/4, Sunset Boulevard: 3.5/4, Falling Down: 4/4, The Night of the Hunter: 3.5/4, Ran: 4/4, The Battle of Algiers: 4/4, Z: 3/4, The Great Escape: 2.5/4, Cries and Whispers: 4/4, Enchanted: 3.5/4, Judgment at Nuremberg: 4/4, Cool Hand Luke:3/4, Scenes from a Marriage: 4/4, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956): 4/4, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978): 3.5/4, The Bourne Ultimatum: 3.5/4, F for Fake: 4/4, Spartacus: 4/4, I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang: 4/4, Sunrise: 3.5/4, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer: 1.5/4, Cloud Atlas: 4/4, Throne of Blood: 2.5/4, Forbidden Planet: 3/4, The Day the Earth Stood Still: 2/4, Frankenstein (1931): 2/4, The Straight Story: 4/4, Boogie Nights: 3/4, Dracula: 4/4, The Stepford Wives: 3.5/4, The Birds: 2/4

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jurgan posted:

141. Drag Me to Hell: A horror film by Sam Raimi. I like both of those things!

Go with this one.

House of Pleasure - The film opens in complete blackness with words from a deceased narrator. It's spelled out that there are three segments covering pleasure in love, pleasure in purity and pleasure in death. The film employs heavy narration with novellike verbiage. It's a little excessive but not a big deal.

The first segment concerns a man who likes to go out dancing in a futile attempt to recreate his wild youth. It's humorous as this strange-looking plastic-headed monocle-wearing dancing machine faints in the midst of a spastic quadrille. It's discovered that he's an old man wearing a mask. He's brought back home and his wife is resigned that this old fool will chase young girls for the rest of his life.

The second segment covers french prostitutes and the men who chase them. The camerawork is notable as it surveys the prostitute den from the exterior. One feels like a voyeuristic apparition floating from window to window attempting to see something sexual in nature. The conflict occurs when the den is unexpectedly closed. Tons of men go on a riot before acquiescing and talking it out on benches.

The harem has left and is actually taking a train ride into the country to witness the madames niece take her first communion. On the way they have to fight off a perverted garter salesman. Eventually the prostitutes all start crying in church and it's another memorable moment in this surprisingly comedic film. The madames brother says "Children need religion. They can always give it up later." Ultimately the girls return home and the men (especially a fish curer) are ecstatic. "The prostitutes have returned? Hooray!"

The third segment concerns a painter and model in love and the usual relationship problems encountered once all the lust and passion have run out. They destroy a bunch of junk in their house and have the requisite screaming matches before the guy leaves. It features an explosive ending with more memorable camerawork and lighting before a somewhat unexpected conclusion.

Also watched:

Some Came Running - Frank Sinatra plays a wino soldier returning back to his small hometown in Indiana. He teams up with Bama Dillert (Dean Martin) and they play poker and party a lot. Dave Hirsh (Sinatra) also gives his brother and family some grief in a variety of scenes.

One of the unique aspects is Dave Hirsh's dissatisfaction with being a writer. He's been published but doesn't seem to care. He has a rocky and unsatisfying relationship with an admirer (who likes his writing but not his habits or lifestyle).

Some of the characters are going through midlife crises and a lot of the adults act like children e.g. the typical boss who has an inappropriate relationship with an underling or e.g. the lovelorn prostitutes and the angry pimps that vex them and won't let them get married. Some other characters just put on pleasantries and appearances.

At its best times it comes across as a more restrained American Beauty (1999). However, with numerous melodramatic twists it's more often like many episodes from the Desperate Housewives (2004-2012) series.

James Bond versus Godzilla (28/64 completed):

Godzilla vs. Megalon - Godzilla vs. giant cockroach/beetle. 3/9/18

Academy Award for Best Directing (83/91 completed):

1949 A Letter to Three Wives - Sounds like a polygamist classic. 2/27/18

1937 The Awful Truth - Cary Grant in another screwball comedy. 3/27/18

1935 The Informer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0yGvypBwyA 4/4/18

1932 Bad Girl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ_KbwEVBjU 3/23/18

1929 The Divine Lady - A love story of some sort. 2/27/18

1928 Two Arabian Knights - A WWI comedy. 2/20/18

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (73/100 completed):

new #30 Golden Helmet AKA Casque d'Or - I've heard of the title but don't know much about it. 5/13/18

#50 The Story of a Cheat - I've never seen a Sacha Guitry film. 4/26/18

new #73 Rome, Open City - I've never seen a Roberto Rossellini film. A moment of classic shame. 5/13/18

Zogo fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 14, 2018

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

Godzilla vs. Megalon - Godzilla vs. giant cockroach/beetle. 3/9/18

Being as I just recently watched Pacific Rim, I'm inspired to pick this. Cheers!

Animal Crackers
With Duck Soup as the only other Marx Brothers film I've watched, this felt very similar - both good and bad. While maintaining the frenetic stand-up of Groucho as explorer Captain Spalding, the deadpan tough exterior of Chico as Signor Ravelli (or.. Ravioli?), and the pantomime antics of Harpo as the Professor, it still has a strong theater vibe that barely translates into a film. Then again, it is the early 1930s and talkie films are only just beginning, so I should cut a bit of slack. Nevertheless, the laughs stick the landing more often than not - all the more impressive given it's age.

LIST

The Best of Youth [2003 - 366mins!] - (2018.05.01) - if I'm ever going to commit to watch this one, it'll be from this list. (unwatched DVD)

Lola [1961 - 87mins] - **NEW** (2018.05.13) - I need more Jacques Demy....! (blind-bought boxsets)

Safe [1995 - 119mins] - (2018.04.29) - seems like one of those "I should see it, even if it won't exactly be a pleasant experience" kind of films.. (Criterion)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), The Young Girls of Rochefort (4.5/5), Patton (4/5), Mon Oncle (4.5/5), The Big City (4.5/5), Only Yesterday (5/5), The Silence (4.5/5), Life Itself (4/5), Chicken Run (4/5), Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (4/5), The Last Emperor (3.5/5), In the Heat of the Night (4/5), Animal Crackers (3.5/5) [Total:189]

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Friendo55, my good friend random.org tells me that you should watch Avanti!

Crossposting from the May Horror Challenge Thread:

Trash Boat posted:

Throwing my current Shameful thread pick into the mix with Pan's Labyrinth. Simply put, I thought this one was brilliant, smartly playing up the real world horrors of the post-Spanish Civil War era (bolstered by an absolutely standout performance from Sergi López as Captain Vidal), against the beautiful but nightmarish fantasyscape the film presents, itself in stark contrast to the childish fantasies Ofelia is told multiple times that her fairy tales are. The two sides play off of each other beautifully, and result in a strong weaving of themes and ideas, the most prominent ones in my mind (at least based on a first viewing) being escapism and disobedience.

1. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

2. Requiem for a Dream - A fun-filled romp for the whole family!

3. Plan 9 From Outer Space - The B-movie to define all B-movies?

4. Whiplash - One of my best friends considers this his favourite film of 2014, and J.K. Simmons generally hasn't steered me wrong in the past.

5. The Wolf of Wall Street - My understanding is that this shares a lot of structural and thematic similarities to Goodfellas, so for the sake of contrasting the two, I figured it'd make for a suitable follow-up to the Scorsese slot. At any rate, I had been interested in seeing this one and do love me a good black comedy.

6. Barton Fink - I'm gonna go sneak into an R-rated movie.

7. Fantastic Mr. Fox - Never watched a Wes Anderson film but always down for some good animation and stop motion in particular.

8. Blade Runner: I'm not even going to try and make an excuse for this one, especially now that 2049 is out. My understanding is preferably go with the Final Cut, and absolutely stay away from the Theatrical Cut?

9. Nightcrawler: I remember seeing a lot of praise for this when it came out a few years ago, but otherwise I'm more or less going in blind.

10. Hellboy: Want to continue digging into del Toro's work, and a friend of mine swears by this as one of his favourite films.

Deshamed (63): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Fantasia, Kill Bill, The Iron Giant, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, The Avengers, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Zombieland, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club, 21 Jump Street, The Godfather, Jackie Brown, Citizen Kane, Pink Floyd - The Wall, Birdman, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Back to the Future: Part II, Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace, Zodiac, Princess Mononoke, The Godfather Part II, Halloween, Spirited Away, Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones, Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, UHF, Goodfellas, No Country For Old Men, A Nightmare on Elm Street, A Hard Day's Night, Fargo, Porco Rosso, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Exorcist, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Pan's Labyrinth

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Trash Boat posted:

2. Requiem for a Dream - A fun-filled romp for the whole family!

This has been on your list for a long time.

Godzilla vs. Megalon - Seatopia is a sunken continent near Easter Island that's been ravaged by nuclear tests. The inhabitants get fed up with the nuke tests and summon Megalon and in a memorable pagan ceremony Emperor Antonio of Seatopia (Robert Dunham) makes an epical speech:

"My people...Today, Seatopia goes to war. After three million years of peace, we finally have to fight. We do not want to make war, but the people of earth leave us no choice. With their nuclear tests, they've already destroyed a third of our country.

We must fight for the sake of Seatopia! We will give the earth people a taste of their own medicine. But now, Seatopia goes to war for the sake of peace! For the sake of Seatopia!

Megalon! Megalon! Wake up, Megalon! Rise to the surface of the earth! Destroy all of man! In the name of peace, the honor and sake of Seatopia! Go, Megalon!"

While this is going on a professor is attacked by Seatopian spies and his robot is stolen. This robot is named Jet Jaguar and is comparable to Ultraman and/or Inframan.

Megalon flies to the surface and starts destroying everything. So once again the military is sent in to unleash a futile bombardment against a large monster. After a series of goofy car chases and a boatload of nonsensical stuff Gigan is summoned as a reinforcement. Just like the previous film another long two-on-two battle between Godzilla/Jet Jaguar and Megalon/Gigan takes place. This is the thirteenth film...you know who wins.

The Seatopians are vanquished back down to their underground lair. Godzilla once again saves the planet as the intercessor between large monsters and pesky humans. I suppose this could be read as the third in a trilogy starring Godzilla as an ecological superhero.

James Bond versus Godzilla (29/64 completed):

new Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - Godzilla vs. Mechanical Godzilla. 5/18/18

Academy Award for Best Directing (84/91 completed):

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (73/100 completed):

#30 Golden Helmet AKA Casque d'Or - I've heard of the title but don't know much about it. 5/13/18

#73 Rome, Open City - I've never seen a Roberto Rossellini film. A moment of classic shame. 5/13/18

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 18, 2018

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

#30 Golden Helmet AKA Casque d'Or - I've heard of the title but don't know much about it. 5/13/18

This should go on my shamelist soon being that I own it and have yet to see it... looking forward to your thoughts.

Avanti!
I must get this out of the way first.... Juliet Mills is nowhere near as 'fat' as they try & make her out to be. And it was played up so much & such a focal point that it began to detract from the film. Add to that the easy-breezy way this film handles affairs - maybe that was more the mentality back then in 1972 when you travel a long distance? - but those two things stuck out pretty bad. When looking past that, however, the film is fantastic. I love the score from Carlo Rustichelli, the supporting cast of Clive Revill as hotel director Carlo Carlucci & Gianfranco Barra as the butler/photographer Bruno, and the two leads of Jack Lemmon & Juliet Mills are great together - Lemmon particularly has some great rants & fun moments & to sink his teeth into. It all came together with a care-free spirit that was a fun and relaxing watch. If only a 3-hour lunch break became a reality....

LIST

The Best of Youth [2003 - 366mins!] - (2018.05.01) - if I'm ever going to commit to watch this one, it'll be from this list. (unwatched DVD)

Irma La Douce [1963 - 135mins] - **NEW** (2018.05.17) - another 2+hr Lemmon/Wilder collaboration .. & Shirley MacLaine returns!

Lola [1961 - 87mins] - (2018.05.13) - I need more Jacques Demy....! (blind-bought boxsets)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), The Young Girls of Rochefort (4.5/5), Patton (4/5), Mon Oncle (4.5/5), The Big City (4.5/5), Only Yesterday (5/5), The Silence (4.5/5), Life Itself (4/5), Chicken Run (4/5), Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (4/5), The Last Emperor (3.5/5), In the Heat of the Night (4/5), Animal Crackers (3.5/5), Avanti! (3.5/5), [Total:190]

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

friendo55 posted:

Herzog's a genius. Watch this.

The Breakfast Club (1985):
This was a movie with very, very enjoyable banter (Could you describe the ruckus?) and a easily digestible moral that’s pretty much true. I wish I had seen the movie at 16!
What really stood out to me were the stylized emotional moments: The athlete doing backflips after smoking dope, the dancing sequence, the kisses goodbye at the end of the movie. It’s a very good and finely detailed movie, and I’m glad to have seen it.

LIST:

3. Gaslight (1944): About lying to your wife.

7. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982): As a big boy, I will watch this kid’s movie.

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954); The Godfather (1972); City Lights (1931); Blade Runner (1982); Sunrise (1927); Modern Times (1936); The Wizard of Oz (1939); GoodFellas (1990); A History of Violence (2005); No Country for Old Men (2007); Scanners (1981); Bicycle Thieves (1948); Metropolis (1927); Gone With the Wind (1939); Tokyo Story (1953); Do the Right Thing (1989); The Breakfast Club (1985)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I'll get you into the conversation - even if you're a bit late. Enjoy!

Grizzly Man
Herzog's voice and delivery, no matter how many times I hear it, never ceases to amaze me. It's practically hypnotic. The same can be said for this film, which is truly hard to believe. Timothy Treadwell spent 13 summers out on the Alaskan peninsula with grizzly bears.. and foxes... and all other inhabitants of that vast wilderness. Treadwell saw a gentle, harmonious side to the world - which he eventually found out wasn't the case. Like much of the 100+ hours of footage he filmed, his story is both beautiful and tragic. And it's great that someone like Herzog got a hold of it to put it all together.

LIST

Amy [2015 - 128mins] - **NEW** (2018.05.19) - don't know much about her or her music but have heard great things about this film. (documentary)

Irma La Douce [1963 - 135mins] - (2018.05.17) - another 2+hr Lemmon/Wilder collaboration .. & Shirley MacLaine returns! (Jack Lemmon)

Lola [1961 - 87mins] - (2018.05.13) - I need more Jacques Demy....! (blind-bought boxsets)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), The Young Girls of Rochefort (4.5/5), Patton (4/5), Mon Oncle (4.5/5), The Big City (4.5/5), Only Yesterday (5/5), The Silence (4.5/5), Life Itself (4/5), Chicken Run (4/5), Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (4/5), The Last Emperor (3.5/5), In the Heat of the Night (4/5), Animal Crackers (3.5/5), Avanti! (3.5/5), Grizzly Man (4/5), [Total:191]

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

friendo55 posted:

I love Demy's idiosyncrasies, and this is one of his best. Enjoy!

Get Out (2017):
Get Out is a horror movie that invests its running time in the build-up: As the white, liberal, and upper-class family’s suppressed racism turns to a grotesque fascination with Chris’ body and finally into something even more sinister, the tension ratchets up. The payoff is a Django-esque sequence of justified revenge.

Politically speaking, the movie is concerned with the manifestations of liberal white people’s latent racism - an obsession with the stereotypes and physical body of black people. To make that subject into horror (or even to make modern white audiences culpable at all) is groundbreaking and fascinating.

Besides all that, the film is finely detailed in set design, very well acted, and shot very effectively. I loved it. Plus, the ‘sunken place’ is wholly original and terrifying - I’ve never seen anything like it.

I also watched…
Strike (1925):
I liked this film even more than Eisenstein’s more famous Battleship Potemkin. For this review, I’ll write a sentence or two on each of the six parts that the film is divided into.
Part One: I loved the use of ‘trick shots’ used in the introduction of the capitalists’ spies. When someone views photographs of the spies, each photograph seems to be moving on the paper. Each of the spies with an animal codename is introduced by a shot of that animal fading into a shot of the spy. Fascinating.
Part Two: I love the cuts between the whole crowd wheelbarrowing management into a lake and closeups of the furious old woman. It really ties together the anger of a single person with the anger of the mob in a way that’s very humanizing (ie, good propaganda.)
Part Three: I’ve never before seen an ironic intertitle. “The administration carefully considers the workers’ demands” -> a fat capitalist uses the demands to wipe up lemon juice.
Part Four: The spies in this film are fascinating. Shots of them at work are interspersed with close-ups of their eyes, of mirrors, of upside-down mirrors. Beautiful.
Part Five: The film here leaves the realm of a stylized, propagandistic take on a real workers’ strike and goes right into fantasy-land. In this portion, a spy hires the king of the homeless to round up a gang of homeless from the the field of barrels that the live in, and use these homeless to loot a liquor store in an effort to get the strikers to join in. In a less odd sequence, the strikers are herded like animals by the firemen.
Part Six: In part six, the staged looting is used as a reason for the capitalists to send in troops. There’s a fascinating scene of soldiers on horseback fighting the strikers in thier multi-level tenement. Shots of the strikers being massacred are interspersed with shots of a cow being butchered.

I really enjoyed this film. The combination of expressive cinematography, effective propaganda, incredible and fantastic sequences involving spies, and a tragic ending really got me.

LIST:

1. Nosferatu (1922): Early silent horror from Murnau. Even more importantly, it’s in the public domain.

2. Triumph of the Will (1935): Nazi propaganda.

3. Gaslight (1944): About lying to your wife.

7. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982): Something I should’ve watched in childhood.

10. Her (2013): Misusing a telephone.

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954); The Godfather (1972); City Lights (1931); Blade Runner (1982); Sunrise (1927); Modern Times (1936); The Wizard of Oz (1939); GoodFellas (1990); A History of Violence (2005); No Country for Old Men (2007); Scanners (1981); Bicycle Thieves (1948); Metropolis (1927); Gone With the Wind (1939); Tokyo Story (1953); Do the Right Thing (1989); The Breakfast Club (1985); Get Out (2017); Strike (1925)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Plus, the ‘sunken place’ is wholly original and terrifying - I’ve never seen anything like it.

It's very similar to the vision sequences in Stir of Echoes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

friendo55 posted:

Grizzly Man
Herzog's voice and delivery, no matter how many times I hear it, never ceases to amaze me. It's practically hypnotic. The same can be said for this film, which is truly hard to believe. Timothy Treadwell spent 13 summers out on the Alaskan peninsula with grizzly bears.. and foxes... and all other inhabitants of that vast wilderness. Treadwell saw a gentle, harmonious side to the world - which he eventually found out wasn't the case. Like much of the 100+ hours of footage he filmed, his story is both beautiful and tragic. And it's great that someone like Herzog got a hold of it to put it all together.

I think that's a little unfair of a point to put on Treadwell and Herzog's film about him. Spending 13 summers learning about the balance and harmony of the world as well as the dangers is how he managed to survive 13 years of expeditions to the Alaskan peninsula. It's only when he ignored all of these lessons and tried to get nature to adapt to his life (and relationship) that he made his ultimate mistake. It just happened to be a fatal mistake. Because nature, in maintaining it's harmony, does not adapt to us, especially if we ignore its lessons.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

It's very similar to the vision sequences in Stir of Echoes.

Being John Malkovich (1999) is another one to watch as it has a similar concept throughout. Catherine Keener is in that film as well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Being John Malkovich (1999) is another one to watch as it has a similar concept throughout. Catherine Keener is in that film as well.

Yeah, very good call. I love Being John Malkovich, it's still Spike Jonze's darkest movie and probably Cusack's and Keener's best.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Zogo posted:

OK, by "wholly original" I actually meant "slightly derivative."

I almost watched Being John Malkovich one time but immediately loaned my DVD and never got it back.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, very good call. I love Being John Malkovich, it's still Spike Jonze's darkest movie and probably Cusack's and Keener's best.

I don’t get the love for BJM. To me, the whole movie is just “everyone is an rear end in a top hat, but in a quirky way.” So?

I do like the theory that it and Get Out take place in the same universe.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I think that's a little unfair of a point to put on Treadwell and Herzog's film about him. Spending 13 summers learning about the balance and harmony of the world as well as the dangers is how he managed to survive 13 years of expeditions to the Alaskan peninsula. It's only when he ignored all of these lessons and tried to get nature to adapt to his life (and relationship) that he made his ultimate mistake. It just happened to be a fatal mistake. Because nature, in maintaining it's harmony, does not adapt to us, especially if we ignore its lessons.

I think maybe it was Herzog's slant on the film, and the comments made by others, that swayed me in that direction. Herzog's point was that he never saw the harmony in these animals towards him, that eventually nature caught up with him. I don't think he did anything different from year 1 to year 13? It was a random occurrence sitting in his tent that did him in - nothing to domesticate them or anything like that. Unless I'm just remembering it wrong? Or i'm not understanding your point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

friendo55 posted:

I think maybe it was Herzog's slant on the film, and the comments made by others, that swayed me in that direction. Herzog's point was that he never saw the harmony in these animals towards him, that eventually nature caught up with him. I don't think he did anything different from year 1 to year 13? It was a random occurrence sitting in his tent that did him in - nothing to domesticate them or anything like that. Unless I'm just remembering it wrong? Or i'm not understanding your point.

Treadwell lived among the same bears for all of those seasons, and these particular bears did in fact get to know him and tolerate his presence because he'd always come at a very specific time of the season.

The season of his death, Treadwell left, but then had some kind of incident at home that led to a breakdown of sorts where he returned to the woods much later than he'd ever stayed before. The bear that killed him was a new bear that he'd never seen before, and he's shown on the video commenting that he was a bit worried about it. So he did in fact learn the rules of how to live with the bears, and then he eventually broke those rules due to probably his own personal issues.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

You gave me a musical (sort of) ... I'll do the same. One of my favourites - enjoy!

Lola
A "musical without music" as it's been called - and a very enjoyable one at that. Anouk Aimee is the titular Lola, a dancer and single mother who's tired of having to chase guys away. She runs into a childhood friend Roland (Marc Michel) who's bored with life and finds a renewed spark in seeing his former childhood crush. Anouk Aimee, who's better known for Fellini's 8 1/2 and La Dolce Vita, is mesmerizing in the same way Jean Seberg was in Breathless - she reminds me a little of Sophia Loren too with the hair and makeup. Michel is a great casting choice too of playing this lost soul yet an almost puppy dog character around Lola. There's bits of percussion in the score too that made me think of 2014's Birdman (I still can't believe that won Best Picture.. a pleasant surprise, yet the film seems largely forgotten).

LIST

Amy [2015 - 128mins] - (2018.05.19) - don't know much about her or her music but have heard great things about this film. (documentary)

Irma La Douce [1963 - 135mins] - (2018.05.17) - another 2+hr Lemmon/Wilder collaboration .. & Shirley MacLaine returns! (Jack Lemmon)

The King of Marvin Gardens [1972 - 103mins] - **NEW** (2018.05.24) - Jack Nicholson, Ellen Burstyn & Bruce Dern.. should be good! (blind-bought boxsets)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), The Young Girls of Rochefort (4.5/5), Patton (4/5), Mon Oncle (4.5/5), The Big City (4.5/5), Only Yesterday (5/5), The Silence (4.5/5), Life Itself (4/5), Chicken Run (4/5), Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (4/5), The Last Emperor (3.5/5), In the Heat of the Night (4/5), Animal Crackers (3.5/5), Avanti! (3.5/5), Grizzly Man (4/5), Lola (4.5/5), [Total:192]

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Treadwell lived among the same bears for all of those seasons, and these particular bears did in fact get to know him and tolerate his presence because he'd always come at a very specific time of the season.

The season of his death, Treadwell left, but then had some kind of incident at home that led to a breakdown of sorts where he returned to the woods much later than he'd ever stayed before. The bear that killed him was a new bear that he'd never seen before, and he's shown on the video commenting that he was a bit worried about it. So he did in fact learn the rules of how to live with the bears, and then he eventually broke those rules due to probably his own personal issues.

Yes yes you're right! I forgot about that bit how he stayed longer than he typically did. I remember now that bear being unfamiliar and older - therefore could be cranky or more aggressive. I also remember now that final video he took where he was almost lingering and not wanting to leave the frame, perhaps thinking it may be his last one.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Herzog's beliefs about nature in Grizzly Man are definitely at odds with Treadwell's own, but I think that's part of the film's appeal. It's a tale of two people literally inhabiting the same point of view but arriving at vastly different conclusions.

Jurgan posted:

I don’t get the love for BJM. To me, the whole movie is just “everyone is an rear end in a top hat, but in a quirky way.” So?

Out of curiosity, what do you think of Seinfeld?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you think of Seinfeld?

Never much cared for it, for much the same reason. I generally want there to be at least one likable character. That’s why I like City of God more than Goodfellas.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

friendo55 posted:

You're getting close to 200.

Golden Helmet - It's a film where all characters need to be on the defensive as tons of people get slapped in the face or punched out. It has a memorable mix of violence and romance and fiery relations as a carpenter takes on a gang full of cheats who don't take kindly to his dancing with the "Golden Helmet."

One of the highlights is an abrupt knife fight that takes place between two guys trying to have the Golden Helmet for themselves. The oddity is that the crime boss lets them use his own knife.

It went by fast although I couldn't help but think I'd seen many movies do the elements better:

-Children of Paradise
-House of Games
-In Cold Blood
-Michael Jackson: Beat It
-Valley Girl

to name a few.

James Bond versus Godzilla (29/64 completed):

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - Godzilla vs. Mechanical Godzilla. 5/18/18

Academy Award for Best Directing (84/91 completed):

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (74/100 completed):

new #61 The Dead - More of that procrastination. 5/29/18

#73 Rome, Open City - I've never seen a Roberto Rossellini film. A moment of classic shame. 5/13/18

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Zogo, watch The Informer, by all definitions a true forgotten classic.

Legend (1985)
dir. Ridley Scott

This is a tough one to describe. I watched the director's cut, which most consider superior but also runs much longer than the theatrical cut with long, drawn-out patches where the scenes linger and nothing progresses. And I'm not just talking about the shots of the unicorns, but throughout the film there are ebbs and flows of surreal, sudden jolts of action and quiet, meandering lulls. But I think where Legend is most fascinating is in its ability to subtly alter the world around you from shot to shot. In one sequence early after winter arrives, Jack (Tom Cruise) talks with Honeythorn Gump (a young David Bennent of The Tin Drum fame). As the two speak, bubbles enter the frame, glitter suddenly appears on Jack and disappears moments later. Reality seems to be coming unstuck.

There are sequences of characters wandering through dark blue and gray rooms filled with giant pillars that feel very reminiscent of Alien. There are lavish, fire-lit sets covered in glitter yet filled with a sense of evil, they do feel reminiscent of Blade Runner's more fantastical interiors. There's a strange divide between this being a children's film and a movie for adults, and at some point Scott said he wanted to make something akin to a horror movie. In one scene a strange, Quay brothers-esque baby rises and stands up; it never does anything but stare in the background, but it draws attention from the corner of your eye to terrify you.

Did Tom Cruise defeat Satan? YES Did Tom Cruise gently caress a unicorn? OFF SCREEN, BUT PRESUMABLY YES

My List:

Ciao! Manhattan (1972) - Another Warhol star, featuring Edie Sedgwick shortly before she died and released posthumously. (Added 4/23/2017)

The Blot (1921) - Saw clips from this in my silent film course in college but I never got around to actually watching the whole movie. (Added 6/24/2017)

Les Rendez-vous d'Anna (1978) - From the ever underrated master, Chantal Akerman. (Added 7/6/2017)

La Pointe-Courte (1955) - I've seen a handful of Agnes Varda films but not her major works, so let's start at the beginning. (Added 8/20/2017)

Society (1989) - Never go rear end to mouth. But what if your rear end was your mouth? (Added 2/20/2018)

The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926) - A major silent era classic that's been a blindspot for me for too long. (Added 3/13/2018)

Sansho the Baliff (1954) - I should get more into Mizoguchi, I've only seen Ugetsu and even that was a long time ago. (Added 3/24/2018)

Audition (1999) - A light romp. (Added 4/24/2018)

Point Break (1991) - Ok, seriously how haven't I seen this one yet? (Added 4/25/2018)

Someone to Watch Over Me (1987) - The Ridley Scott Slot. I don't think I've ever heard one person ever bring up this movie in conversation or on the internet ever. But it's got good reviews! (Added 5/30/2018)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash; The Avenging Conscience; The Spook Who Sat By the Door; Bringing Up Baby; The Life of Juanita Castro; The Hour of the Furnaces; Au hasard Balthazar; Surname Viet Given Name Nam; Seconds; My Dinner with Andre; The Thin Man; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace; The Passion of the Christ; Grand Illusion; Fanny and Alexander; Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake; Starship Troopers; Little Lord Fauntleroy; Last Summer; Total Recall; The Blood of Jesus; I Shot Andy Warhol; Manchester by the Sea; Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome; The Viking; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Of Gods and the Undead; The Hitch-Hiker; Nerves; The Phantom of Liberty; As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty; The Duellists; Kiss Me Deadly; Heat; The Civil War; Forbidden Planet; Cairo Station; Tetsuo, the Iron Man; Legend (TOTAL: 59)

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 30, 2018

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

TrixRabbi posted:

Sansho the Baliff (1954) - I should get more into Mizoguchi, I've only seen Ugetsu and even that was a long time ago. (Added 3/24/2018)

It's on my list, so...I'm making you watch it.

It's amazing that Agnes Varda, decades apart, made Cléo From 5 to 7 and the only prior movie of hers I'd seen, Vagabond. Sure, filmmakers contain multitudes and are certainly capable of evolution and change...but she really taps into something amazing in both. Cléo is more my speed, a day in the life of a singer as she wanders through Paris and from conversation to conversation as she waits for a hospital diagnosis (she fears cancer). I didn't look it up, but this had to be an influence on Richard Linklater ahead of the Before Trilogy (specifically Sunset), right?

From the opening tarot card reading to Cleo's pursuit of meaning (after all, it seems less that she's petrified of terminal illness than she is of knowing she had a limited number of real, honest connections with others).

The camera is very lively, especially in the piano/song practice where it jumps from Cleo to Bob the pianist before eventually settling on her in front of the black background. Suddenly it's like she's transported to the stage - away from these people she's clearly grown weary of - singing of despair and despondency. It's a great sequence and she ultimately rejects it and leaves to clear her head...to get away from those who are possibly serving as negative influences. I really liked this movie and am excited to explore more Varda.

LIST O SHAME

]1) 35 Shots of Rhum - Man, Claire Denis' movies are relatively tricky to find. This one is easier than others...so I'll start here.

2) The White Ribbon - It's taken me a long time to get into Haneke, but I want to keep going.

3) Paprika - Anime from the creator of Perfect Blue, which I was a fan of. Figured I should see another.

4) The Exterminating Angel - I've barely dipped my toe into Bunuel's filmography.

5) Sansho the Bailiff - Classic Mizoguchi.

6) Harvey - Always thought this looked super hokey...but I like Jimmy Stewart and this is generally beloved, but I need a push.

7) Topsy Turvy - Ahhh Mike Leigh, looks less downtrodden than some of his work, but I'm still generally a novice with him.

8) Joint Security Area - I've seen, and loved, most of Park Chan-wook's movies, but haven't seen this one.

9) All That Jazz - Bob Fosse is a blind spot.

10) La Silence de La Mer - Jean Pierre Melville is excellent. I've liked everything I've seen.

SHAME BE GONE (PART DEUX): Top Secret!, Yi Yi, New York New York, Rio Bravo, Dogtooth, Song of the Sea, The Fog, A Touch of Zen, Walkabout, Starman, Young Girls of Rochefort, Cléo From 5 to 7 (Total: 12)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Ratedargh, thanks for choosing Sansho the Bailiff. It was phenomenal, so you get to watch it now in return.

Sansho the Bailiff (1954)
dir. Kenji Mizoguchi

Sansho the Bailiff depicts unflinchingly the cruelty and sadism of society’s kneel to power and money. The titular Sansho — a minister and slaveowner — is a mean and dominating man who profits from his hundreds of legal captives and brands those who attempt escape. Sansho, however, is rarely on screen, more a presence of all evil men in power who oppress the meek with impunity.

Our heroes are Zushio and Anju, two siblings who are the children of a disgraced but noble governor, who are stolen from their mother in exile and sold to Sansho. They spend ten years in his private estate as anonymous slaves, until finally they attempt and escape.

What follows is a mix of fortune and tragedy, as Zushio proves his lineage and is made governor, while Anju commits suicide to give her brother a better chance at surviving as a fugitive.

It is in the back half of the film that the structure of this entire society is held to account. Zushio seeks to overstep his power as governor to outlaw all slavery and take revenge on Sansho by liberating his camp. He is told this cannot be done, there are ranks and classes that must be upheld. We find it is not that what is right can’t be done, it’s that those who wield power will never quietly give up power, and the system will fight to sustain oppression lest those with the ability to put an end to evil reconcile their role in upholding it. Zushio proves himself to be the one good leader — he frees the slaves and immediately cedes his position. He came from privilege, used it to gain authority, and fought for the greater good before stopping himself from ever being able to abuse that position in the future. More politicians could follow his example.

I almost never cry at movies, the only other movie that comes to mind for me is Titanic, but the ending of Sansho devastated me. When Zushio is finally reunited with his mother — worn down and blind from a decade of physical and mental torture — may be one of the most heart wrenching scenes in all of cinema. It’s the combination of tragedy and unity, the joy of being reunited overwhelmed by the gravity of the loss this family has sustained through no fault of their own. The final line of the movie, when his mother tells Zushio she’s knows he followed his fathers moral teachings or he never would have found her, invokes the sublime, transcendent blend of grief and pride that overwhelms and caps the movie as nothing short of a masterpiece.

My List:

Ciao! Manhattan (1972) - Another Warhol star, featuring Edie Sedgwick shortly before she died and released posthumously. (Added 4/23/2017)

The Blot (1921) - Saw clips from this in my silent film course in college but I never got around to actually watching the whole movie. (Added 6/24/2017)

Les Rendez-vous d'Anna (1978) - From the ever underrated master, Chantal Akerman. (Added 7/6/2017)

La Pointe-Courte (1955) - I've seen a handful of Agnes Varda films but not her major works, so let's start at the beginning. (Added 8/20/2017)

Society (1989) - Never go rear end to mouth. But what if your rear end was your mouth? (Added 2/20/2018)

The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926) - A major silent era classic that's been a blindspot for me for too long. (Added 3/13/2018)

Point Break (1991) - Ok, seriously how haven't I seen this one yet? (Added 4/25/2018)

Someone to Watch Over Me (1987) - The Ridley Scott Slot. I don't think I've ever heard one person ever bring up this movie in conversation or on the internet ever. But it's got good reviews! (Added 5/30/2018)

Alexander Nevsky (1938) - Sergei Eisenstein is probably one of my favorite filmmakers but I still have seen much of his later sound work. (Added 6/2/2018)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash; The Avenging Conscience; The Spook Who Sat By the Door; Bringing Up Baby; The Life of Juanita Castro; The Hour of the Furnaces; Au hasard Balthazar; Surname Viet Given Name Nam; Seconds; My Dinner with Andre; The Thin Man; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace; The Passion of the Christ; Grand Illusion; Fanny and Alexander; Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake; Starship Troopers; Little Lord Fauntleroy; Last Summer; Total Recall; The Blood of Jesus; I Shot Andy Warhol; Manchester by the Sea; Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome; The Viking; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Of Gods and the Undead; The Hitch-Hiker; Nerves; The Phantom of Liberty; As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty; The Duellists; Kiss Me Deadly; Heat; The Civil War; Forbidden Planet; Cairo Station; Tetsuo, the Iron Man; Legend; Sansho the Bailiff (TOTAL: 60)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Fun little horror satire.

The Thin Red Line (1998; Terrence Mallick)

Probably the best film about war. A poetic meditation on killing and death.

I like Mallick's editing. It's direct, but unconventional. If he wants a to show a character smile, he interjects the image. It's jarring at first, but effective in that it feels more poetic than hyper or energetic or confusing.

There's a sense of timelessness throughout; with the war, the setting, the characters, the themes, but also there exists a timelessness within the film's structure, memories and images fading in and out.

I wasn't expecting the film's heel-turn half-way through, with the Americans beginning to gain advantage. No longer are they dying and suffering, they now succeed in killing, in becoming Death. It's fascinating to see both sides suffer. There is a scene where the Americans have their first Japanese captives. The captives pray, they cry, they thing, the numbly stare. The Americans see their fear, understand it, see their own fear, remember it. One of the Americans beats a Japanese soldier out of anger for his fallen comrades, one plugs his nose with cigarettes so as not to smell the filth around them, another offers their captive a stick of gum. It's a powerful scene on it's own, but it also manages to encompass the majority of the films themes without much dialogue, acts as a turning point for the growing victories held by the Americans, and rests almost in the middle of the film's run time.

The acting is amazing on many levels. The film is stacked with stars, which makes following the characters easier, but also leaves a sense of wanting more from some of the cast. John C Reilly, for instance, gets one scene of dialogue, as far as I noticed. Nick Nolte's villain gets one of the most powerful moments for me, when he reprimands Starles and removes him from leading his troops. Starles simply states that he doesn't like his men dying, and he asks the Lt. Col. if he's ever had one of his men die in his arms. The ensuing silence, the horror in Starles eyes of realizing the bloodthirsty fool deranged by his first war, his first touch of power, hasn't even seen the effects of war first hand, is haunting.

There is a sense of wonder throughout the film, which is complicated with a major theme is that hope is fragile and finite. It's amazing how the themes are complexly woven together.

Highly Recommended.

This reminded me a lot of The Red Badge of Courage, and it makes me want to read Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried.

My List

Network (1976; Sidney Lumet) - (6.3.18) Lumet's best?

The 400 Blows (1959; François Truffaut; Criterion - (2.6.18) Another "Film School movie" I have never seen; classic of French cinema

Bicycle Thieves (1948; Vittorio De Sica; Criterion) - (1.21.18) The mandatory film school movie.

Sideways (2004; A. Payne) - (11.19.17) Can it really be as good as everyone says it is? I liked Nebraska and About Schmidt

Monsier Hulot's Holiday (1953; J. Tati; Criterion) - (11.7.17) A lot of my favorite director's love this little comedy, and I needed something on this list from the 50's

Akira (1988; Katsuhiro Ōtomo) - (8.31.17) I wanted to add some classic animated movies I haven't seen, this being the BIG one I've missed out on.

Stranger Than Paradise (1984; J. Jarmusch; Criterion) - (8.25.17) I love everything I've seen of Jim Jarmusch, which only amounts to 5 films. This is his first film. I've only seen the first 15 minutes.

Philadelphia (1993; J. Demme) - (8.21.17) Trying to fill in my Jonathan Demme gaps. A huge moment in Tom Hanks's career that seems to have been forgotten by modern audiences. (Currently on Prime)

In Cold Blood (1967; R. Brooks; Criterion) - (6.29.17) I've read the book, which I enjoyed. I know the movie looks great, I've seen the famous window rain show. I own it on blu-ray.

Fitzcarraldo (1982; W. Herzog; Criterion) - (6.23.17) The other big Werner Herzog narrative I haven't seen.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake; Raging Bull; The Seventh Seal; Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Lawrence of Arabia; The French Connection; In The Mood For Love; Stalker; Tootise; M.; The Thin Red Line
Letterboxd

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 4, 2018

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Get mad as hell

Franchescanado posted:

Network (1976; Sidney Lumet) - (6.3.18) Lumet's best?

The English Patient

It was much what I expected: a solid film with a good cast, beautifully shot, that runs a little overlong.
The relationship between Fiennes and Kristen Scott Thomas had believable chemistry. The story is broken up with flashbacks and it's balanced well enough that the past and present story threads don't get lost or drag too much.
Willem Dafoe added a bit of intensity; would have liked to see more of him here.
The English accents got ridiculously plummy at times.

Also saw from my list:

Scanners

I'd kind of assumed that gif was at or near the finale, rather than the early hook. Head splosion aside, the action and effects are fairly low-key until the final battle, which has some nicely gross body horror
Most of the scanners get gunned down unceremoniously and I appreciate the restraint shown. I feel if this was remade (and hey why not? Precious few 80's properties left at this point) that vulnerability would be lost amid epic CG battles.
Cameron Vale is largely a blank slate at the start of the film and while he does have some growth, I wouldn't say he ever becomes a compelling protagonist.
The phonebox exploding was my Irrational Irritating Movie Moment. Like sure, I can buy that you made someone's head go boom by thinking real hard, but not make a public phone booth explode by sending a signal down the line.

Forbidden Planet

I find old sci-fi interesting in the ways it dates, both technologically and socially. The 50's vision of the future was an all white all male spaceship crew creeping on a naive girl and the captain blaming her for immodest dress.
Still, not as eggregious as When Worlds Collide, where everyone selected as 'worthy' for a seat on the Ark was white.
Tonewise, this was very Star Trek TOS with a bigger budget. The acting has that certain haminess that is not without charm and there are some lovely matt paintings.
If I hadn't known the Captain was Leslie Nielsen, I never would have guessed.

My List:

4) (Academy Award winner) On the Waterfront A contender

7) (Horror) Rosemary's Baby It's just very well known

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Minority Report I like P.K. Dick

Watched (27): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Bitterandtwisted, you get Deliverance, an absolute powerhouse of a movie.

Society (1989)
dir. Brian Yuzna

”Billy, people are what they are. Now, you have to learn to accept that and you have to learn to accept society’s rules of privacy. If you don’t follow the rules, Billy, bad things happen. Now some people make the rules and some people follow the rules, it’s a question of what you’re born to.”

The “higher echelons” of society, so to speak the ruling class, have long taken this binary to heart. You either make the rules or you follow the rules — but nowhere is it said that those make the rules must also follow them. Brian Yuzna’s Society may be one of the most honest cinematic portrayals of this culture. There are no rules for the rich but what they declare for themselves, and the rules for the poor are that they are to know their place and to accept that one day they may be chosen as a sacrifice upon the altar of Western Civilization.

Filmed during the epilogue of Reagan’s president that was the first Bush administration, Society is about Billy, an upper class teenager who discovers his adopted parents are part of a secret, incestuous sex cult. The revelation of the conspiracy puts Billy in the center of a Kafkaesque investigation where everyone he turns to is involved, gaslighting and undermining his sanity. By their rules, Billy is not one of them, he is of lesser blood, merely a pig to be fattened for slaughter.

While Society climaxes in a fantastical melting pool of sex and viscera, it doesn’t ring far from the truth. One of the KY-slathered oligarchs, a judge, tells a teen there’s an internship waiting for him in Washington. This is the actual banality of such conspiracies — wild fantasies of Bohemian Grove, Illuminati and Satanic rituals are merely flavoring for the much more mundane truth that the rich and powerful are a social club that simply uphold their position by sticking (or melding) together to give their friend’s kids Supreme Court clerk jobs and trust funds to fuel their future Senate bids. The truth is dull, the depravity is invisible, it’s up to the rest of us to visualize the truth via metaphor: Society’s grotesque climax is the most honest depiction of our politicians and corporate thought leaders, much like Ralph Steadman’s drawings of politicians for Hunter S. Thompson’s gonzo writings.

This is a brilliant film, one I both wish I saw much younger but also I don’t know if I would have appreciated it as much if I had.

My List:

Alexander Nevsky (1938) - Sergei Eisenstein is probably one of my favorite filmmakers but I still have seen much of his later sound work. (Added 6/2/2018)

Gaslight (1944) - I’ve read enough thinkpieces about the concept, I should probably see the original. (Added 6/9/2018)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash; The Avenging Conscience; The Spook Who Sat By the Door; Bringing Up Baby; The Life of Juanita Castro; The Hour of the Furnaces; Au hasard Balthazar; Surname Viet Given Name Nam; Seconds; My Dinner with Andre; The Thin Man; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace; The Passion of the Christ; Grand Illusion; Fanny and Alexander; Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake; Starship Troopers; Little Lord Fauntleroy; Last Summer; Total Recall; The Blood of Jesus; I Shot Andy Warhol; Manchester by the Sea; Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome; The Viking; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Of Gods and the Undead; The Hitch-Hiker; Nerves; The Phantom of Liberty; As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty; The Duellists; Kiss Me Deadly; Heat; The Civil War; Forbidden Planet; Cairo Station; Tetsuo, the Iron Man; Legend; Sansho the Bailiff; Society (TOTAL: 61)