Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

Huh. I just learned that A Favor From Authority is not actually a get out of jail free card. Which makes it kinda pointless. For how hard it is to get when you actually need it due to it being a timed card, it having a chance to fail is really annoying.

Well you've got like a 1 in 6 chance to get it from the white door and a 1 in 3 from spider so it could still be worth trying for if you're in serious trouble or are likely to be in the very near future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Got my first victory on my fourth run. Put 29 hours into the game, about 21-23 hours just on that winning run as I made glacial progress without really knowing what I was doing. I'm really hoping future playthroughs are much shorter now that I know more about the game (although I never did open the Peacock Door).

It is really surprising just how much information the game actually gives you, even if you have to hunt around for it.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
It's similar to how Fallen London does it - large secrets are dropped frequently and freely but the import of them is missing unless you already know the topic being discussed, so it becomes less about finding the True Ultimate Secret buried in endgame content and more about collecting pieces and trying to work out how they fit together.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
its cool how I have no idea what anyone is saying reading this thread but it makes me want to play more. great cult experience, time to go try and make cards fit places

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
The game gets quite easy once you get over the first stage of advancing your stats and getting a cushion of money behind you. Even still though a loss can sneak up on you. Got a good run up to spider door and got taken out by 3 fascination in quick succession from different sources I wasn't expecting.

No spoilers but can you speak to summons. I've put them in talk and noticed every card is valid for them but doesn't do anything.I probably won't check every single one but of anyone knows a reason too ill keep trying combinations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

There are a few things you can ask them to do, yes.

If it helps treat them like another follower.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Can someone give me a hint on how to progress out of early game? I've figured out how to grind up my stats, start a cult and induct members and send them out on expeditions. I can't figure out what to do with any of the eldritch gewgaws they bring back, though.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

The Moon Monster posted:

Can someone give me a hint on how to progress out of early game? I've figured out how to grind up my stats, start a cult and induct members and send them out on expeditions. I can't figure out what to do with any of the eldritch gewgaws they bring back, though.

this is where I'm at, I think I'm supposed to keep getting books and then break them down into smaller parts and upgrade my different color cult aspects?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Have you found the Woods? If not try dreaming about Passion.

Have you found any rites (from expeditions/books)? They're what most of the mystical doodads are for.

Have you made any of your cultists into disciples?

Have you upgraded your temptation? This is how you win (for now).

Do you have any patrons?

megane fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 9, 2018

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
As someone who got stuck for a really really long time, the two big things that stopped me from progressing past the very early game were : Just because the game says talking about occult stuff will bring negative attention, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it or that you'll get notoriety - I avoided it for many games thinking it was just an idiotic gamble that will give you notoriety for some minor benefit - turns out it only gives the completely harmless/sometimes beneficial mystique, an it's the only real way to get patrons which can give nice stuff, and is an easy way to get more companions.

The other big one was not figuring out how to progress in the Manse past the Woods - I was always doing Passion->Way: The Woods to enter, and was trying to dream about the upgraded temptation assuming it'd tell me what to do next, but it just said 'you've dreamed all you can, now you need to do the WORK' - so I had ASSUMED I had to do the ritual that pops up when you put the temptation in the work - it kept on demanding a fragment of the light of the Manse so I kept trying to find increasingly large Lantern influences and nothing worked and I got super frustrated and had not enough lore to do anything because money comes so incredibly slowly, and just ended up in an endless loop of frustration going absolutely nowhere until i give up or get careless and die.

Turns out, all you have to do to progress in the Manse is put Way: The Woods in first, instead of Passion, and then there's a little text blurb about how you can progress further if you put in a specific lore, namely a level 2 lantern lore in my case. I think Key might work too? I had been looking past it assuming Passion->Way and Way->Passion were identical and not carefully reading all the text. And also using Restlessness as a trapping with level 2 lantern in a lantern cult lets you get tier 2 cultists immediately who are much more likely to not be complete failures.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 9, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Increasingly higher level Lantern and Knock lores are how you progress between doors, yes.

And you get ludicrous amounts of money from painting with notoriety, once you max out the skill. You can/should do that first thing, never worry about money again. G&G is a trap.

I'm sitting on like 250 funds in my current game and I'm only just through the Stag Door. Which I'll grant you took a while, had a whole bunch of lore 6s but it wanted Knock and that was a saga, but still I'm only just into the shires and it's all the money I'll ever need. I think I'm going to start grinding co-missions instead.

Game gets super easy once you know what you're doing.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Increasingly higher level Lantern and Knock lores are how you progress between doors, yes.

And you get ludicrous amounts of money from painting with notoriety, once you max out the skill. You can/should do that first thing, never worry about money again. G&G is a trap.

I'm sitting on like 250 funds in my current game and I'm only just through the Stag Door. Which I'll grant you took a while, had a whole bunch of lore 6s but it wanted Knock and that was a saga, but still I'm only just into the shires and it's all the money I'll ever need. I think I'm going to start grinding co-missions instead.

Game gets super easy once you know what you're doing.

Putting Notoriety and Mystique into paintings duplicates it, yeah? How do you deal with having a million extremely long lasting notoriety when a detective hour can come up with only 60s warning?

I've actually been doing Job @ the Institute instead of G&G since it gives 2 funds/60s, which seems equivalent to G&G without the angry boss or the demotions and the reason cost, so it's never any danger to do paintings to cure Restlessness due to no expiration timer.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 10, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

G&G: It eventually gets up to 3/cycle and using a reason, though you'll have to dispose of a corpse eventually (I like the induct someone into my cult with it). It isn't as good as painting gets, but it has no potential downsides to deal with.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'd like to yell about how annoying expeditions are, as you cannot check what you need for the challenges before embarking, and then they eat followers if you're unprepared. :mad:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

Putting Notoriety and Mystique into paintings duplicates it, yeah? How do you deal with having a million extremely long lasting notoriety when a detective hour can come up with only 60s warning?

Nope. Painting generates Mystique and only Mystique, unless you use something overtly occulting as an inspiration- lores, summons etc. Even influences are safe. I like to use Dread, so I've always got one around to deal with Fascination.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd like to yell about how annoying expeditions are, as you cannot check what you need for the challenges before embarking, and then they eat followers if you're unprepared. :mad:

Well, you can see what the hazards will be as soon as you're into the first funds check, and at that point you have two chances to send assistance before the check resolves. And two more chances before every subsequent hazard. So long as you're on the ball and you have at least two disciples of every type, you should never fail a check (though the expedition could run out of money).

But it's best just to send summons. You should be able to get Maids-in-the-Mirror as soon as you're through the Stag Door. King Crucible is even better, but getting 10 Forge together's a little harder.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

G&G: It eventually gets up to 3/cycle and using a reason, though you'll have to dispose of a corpse eventually (I like the induct someone into my cult with it). It isn't as good as painting gets, but it has no potential downsides to deal with.

Maxed out, G&G gives 4 funds for 50s of your time, and also eats notoriety up to a point. The limit is about 5 cards, after that the Elder G puts you on watch and you'll be fired after that. That said, it doesn't eat notoriety while it's not in use and I've never seen you fail to get your job back so you can always just give yourself a long vacation.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Still earlyish in the game, died a couple of times. Is there anything different between the cults other than what they use to upgrade? I know the history cult is kind of crappy from what I've heard. I've got no follower past disciple so I don't know if they get different later or something.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

put pawns or hires in the first two slots to scout it out ahead of sending the people who can actually solve problems. if things go bad the people you sent first will be the first to die.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

Still earlyish in the game, died a couple of times. Is there anything different between the cults other than what they use to upgrade? I know the history cult is kind of crappy from what I've heard. I've got no follower past disciple so I don't know if they get different later or something.

The history cult is the only weird one. Most cults can make disciples with 7 of the cult's particular aspect, and exalts with 21. History cults can use 7 of any aspect, but can't make exalts ever.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GulagDolls posted:

You can only get lv3 disciples of your cult type.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Caidin posted:

Maxed out, G&G gives 4 funds for 50s of your time, and also eats notoriety up to a point. The limit is about 5 cards, after that the Elder G puts you on watch and you'll be fired after that. That said, it doesn't eat notoriety while it's not in use and I've never seen you fail to get your job back so you can always just give yourself a long vacation.

I guess I never tried leaving the Elder G alone, and instead employed some muscle.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You can only get lv3 disciples of your cult type.

That's what I thought, but then I saw this:

How'd you manage that, Enid?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 10, 2018

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

megane posted:

The history cult is the only weird one. Most cults can make disciples with 7 of the cult's particular aspect, and exalts with 21. History cults can use 7 of any aspect, but can't make exalts ever.

drat that's a little lame. it'd be cool if they all had different quirks so there was more of a reason to replay.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

I guess I never tried leaving the Elder G alone, and instead employed some muscle.

I don't know that you can do anything to old G but you've dealt with young G that Passion slot in your work day stops being a Bad End and turns into working for a board seat for the benefits I mentioned.

What exactly sort of business is Glover & Glover anyway?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

That's what I thought, but then I saw this:

How'd you manage that, Enid?

Apparently the Detective's starting adversary can always be exalted, should you manage to recruit them into your cult.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Caidin posted:

I don't know that you can do anything to old G but you've dealt with young G that Passion slot in your work day stops being a Bad End and turns into working for a board seat for the benefits I mentioned.

What exactly sort of business is Glover & Glover anyway?

I believe it is an accounting firm. It’s left ambiguous though.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I can't think that this is the end of the game. I'm sure they have more content planned. And it seems to me that it would be piss easy to add it. I can't wait really.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tehan posted:

Apparently the Detective's starting adversary can always be exalted, should you manage to recruit them into your cult.

Holy poo poo.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Tenasscity posted:

I can't think that this is the end of the game. I'm sure they have more content planned. And it seems to me that it would be piss easy to add it. I can't wait really.

the whole incentive for buying the game the week it came out was that you get all the dlc (whatever that is) for free so yeah

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
More deep lore spitballing

So are the Aspects (Heart Grail Knock and all that) fixed and immutable, or do they change? If they change, do they change based on the rise and fall of the Hours, or do the Hours gain power by matching the Aspects?

Before the Sun-in-Splendour was sundered, was there even a Winter? And was Lantern known as Sun?

Before the Red Grail drank the Tide, was there even a Grail aspect? Or was it instead Sea?

If the Grail had not created the Thunderskin, would Heart still be Heart, or would it instead be something defined by the Sister-and-Witch?

Postscript: I really like referring to that event as the sundering

Edit: Further ramblings:

If that's the case, then in the beginning the Hours and Aspects would have been:

Sun-in-Splendour - Lantern (Sun?)
Flint - Forge (Knap?)
Tide - Grail (Sea?)
Wheel - Moth (...something to do with travel? borders? exploration?)
The Seven-Coils - Knock
The Horned-Axe - Edge
The Egg Unhatching - Heart

Tehan fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 10, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Aspects as totally mutable. I have no proof of this, only my gut, and it insists that they're changeable.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Looking forward to ascending as the Reforged Sun in a future major victory.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

So on the lore speculation, all I’ll say is that whoever in this thread wrote that taking notes on the game resulted in something that reads like the ramblings of a crazy person was absolutely right.

E: “2, 15, 12 - not enough! The Sun = John Sonne? Sun divided - must have been undivided once - can reforge? Is Light different from light?”

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Uhhh so does something I do just permanently consume Reason? I had 3, and I was recruiting cultists and it was just gone.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Uhhh so does something I do just permanently consume Reason? I had 3, and I was recruiting cultists and it was just gone.

Don't use Reason, Passion, or Health for the Trappings slot on cultist recruitment. It's unnecessary and it permanently uses it up.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Well now I know.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

TheBlandName posted:

Don't use Reason, Passion, or Health for the Trappings slot on cultist recruitment. It's unnecessary and it permanently uses it up.

oh..........

why are you even...allowed to do that...lol

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Reason, Passion, and Health all have the ingredient aspect so you can sacrifice them as ritual components. (Also always a terrible idea, for the record. But thematic I guess?) Because they have the ingredient aspect, you can drop them into the Trappings slot on cultist recruitment. But the Trappings slot also eats up any ingredients that are dropped inside it, so you lose the stat permanently.

What the Trappings slot is actually for is Influences you recover from the Mansus (which get consumed), Tools of arcane power (which don't get used up), and Summoned creatures of the Mansus (which don't get used up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Now that I’ve collected the Glover & Glover and Detective minor endings I suppose what’s left for me is the other Lore endings and/or figuring out the Tricuspid gate... only thing I can think of is that the highest-level Expeditions might give out useful things. I only did one of those before my Forge victory.

Incidentally, for those of you chasing the cult path after starting as a Detective, how does that work? Do you just stop showing up to your Detective job or is there a way you can keep being a detective while moonlighting as a cultist?