Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is using your LP as a form of interactive fiction still cool and good, or cringy as hell? I want to do it, but I'm worried it'll be embarrassing as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It can be cool and good or cringy as hell. It depends a lot on what you're doing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I do weird poo poo with my LP mainly because I get bored and don't want the audience to get bored too, so I give them stuff that (hopefully) breaks up the monotony. It is also, I assume, cringy as hell, but I don't let that stop me. It definitely depends on how you're approaching the LP in general, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Turtlicious posted:

Is using your LP as a form of interactive fiction still cool and good, or cringy as hell? I want to do it, but I'm worried it'll be embarrassing as poo poo.
It was never cool and good, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Depends on your writing skills and context.

And the audience, obviously. There will be someone who into every fanfic, no matter how objectively terrible.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Like most creative endeavors, it can be good or bad depending on the creator's skill and the tastes of the audience. So the questions then are: who's your audience? And do you suck?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Turtlicious posted:

It really depends on what you're going for. Might be worth floating the idea here or the LP Discord or the mods or whoever else.

Narratives can be really hit-or-miss, but some of the most well-loved LPs are narratives (Animal Crossing, all of Didja Redo's stuff) so if you like the idea, it's certainly worth doing!

Alternatively, do something like this.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

...I was not aware that there were any webcomics on lparchive. :nallears:

lol

Turtlicious posted:

it is whatever it will be! i always enjoy when LPers experiment and gently caress around with the format, but that's just me. it might wind up great and beloved, or hated and shunned. it depends! (so, really, i'm just reiterating what everyone else is already saying). running it through the Sandcastle may be an option, but you might start to second guess yourself. i dunno, if you think this might be a really awesome and brilliant that idea people will love, i might suggest just 100% own it and :justpost:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I'm looking to do a (likely extremely long, like 200+ hours after editing) video series on a Kerbal Space Program playthrough. I have streamed the game before with some success, peaking at a bit over 100 viewers back in the day, but where I live now I don't have a connection good enough for that, and I wanted to edit stuff for brevity anyway since KSP is a game that takes a loooooooooooooong time for some poo poo.

I've recorded the first 12 hours or so; however after making a test video and checking it to make sure everything worked, OBS decided to update and it changed my settings so that no sound was recorded for the entire 12 hours of video I have. On the one hand, sound is not super important in Kerbal, especially in the early game where I'll be fast-forwarding and cutting a lot anyway to skip a whole lot of me doing the same thing for like 8 or so hours and thus losing the sound. On the other, I am not sure exactly what to fill the dead time with and there's not a snowball's chance in hell I'm re-doing everything at this point. I am currently thinking of just layering sounds from the in-game engines when the video isn't being fast-forwarded and using the in-game soundtrack (and maybe soundtracks from other games?) as well, although the former would be ridiculously tedious. Thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

I also haven't done a Let's Play in like over a decade so I'll post the first few videos here once edited to make sure I'm making something not poo poo.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd say just do your commentary and put the game's soundtrack in the right places and it'll be fine. Just mention it in the thread/videos.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I'm looking to do a (likely extremely long, like 200+ hours after editing) video series on a Kerbal Space Program playthrough. I have streamed the game before with some success, peaking at a bit over 100 viewers back in the day, but where I live now I don't have a connection good enough for that, and I wanted to edit stuff for brevity anyway since KSP is a game that takes a loooooooooooooong time for some poo poo.

I've recorded the first 12 hours or so; however after making a test video and checking it to make sure everything worked, OBS decided to update and it changed my settings so that no sound was recorded for the entire 12 hours of video I have. On the one hand, sound is not super important in Kerbal, especially in the early game where I'll be fast-forwarding and cutting a lot anyway to skip a whole lot of me doing the same thing for like 8 or so hours and thus losing the sound. On the other, I am not sure exactly what to fill the dead time with and there's not a snowball's chance in hell I'm re-doing everything at this point. I am currently thinking of just layering sounds from the in-game engines when the video isn't being fast-forwarded and using the in-game soundtrack (and maybe soundtracks from other games?) as well, although the former would be ridiculously tedious. Thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

I also haven't done a Let's Play in like over a decade so I'll post the first few videos here once edited to make sure I'm making something not poo poo.

Trying to replicate the game audio post-facto is an utter nightmare and I would strongly argue against it. Depending on the type and feel of the LP you're going for, I'd just say to overlay some royalty free music over the footage and just be up front with people that the game audio was eaten by OBS. Your commentary and a musical backing should suffice for a game like Kerbal Space Program, which, if I recall correctly, isn't exactly heavy or engaging on its in-game audio work anyway.

This guy's got a ton of stuff that's free to use and sounds pretty great, especially for background tracks for talking over. Hooking up with guest commentators can also supplement for the loss of audio. Having one or two regular guests or a slew of rotating ones can liven things up significantly and make the loss of the game audio kind of an afterthought. Check the Co-Commentation Station or the SALP Discord server to see if anyone's up to hopping on for an episode or two.

Folks around here are usually up for anything so it's worth it to experiment and see who works with your style and who doesn't.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i actually said 'screw it' and restarted anyway, there were other issues with the recording i had not noticed before and rather than try and fix those along with fixing the audio i figured it'd just be less of a headache to start over. thanks for the advice in any case.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i actually said 'screw it' and restarted anyway, there were other issues with the recording i had not noticed before and rather than try and fix those along with fixing the audio i figured it'd just be less of a headache to start over. thanks for the advice in any case.

I am impressed at your determination and perseverance, dude. Good luck!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Somewhere deep deep deep in these archives is a text LP of REZ. We're down for anything at least once.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am impressed at your determination and perseverance, dude. Good luck!

fortunately ksp is like digital crack for me, i wouldn't have been able to redo 12 hours of most other games.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

There's another weird issue i'm having with my recordings. It's not the end of the world, but looks a little weird and I'd like to fix it permanently. Basically, I am running KSP at 720p, but my computer resolution is at 1080p. With this setup, the videos have the mouse cursor at totally the wrong spot in the recordings, so when I click a button somewhere, in the video the mouse is nowhere near said button. If I mouse all the way to top left, it is accurately recorded in its correct location, but accuracy falls the further down and right I go.

If I set my PC resolution to 720p, it fixes this, and I recorded the first batch of videos this way, but I forgot to set the PC resolution back to 720p for the second batch and therefore this issue is present. I looked online and this is something others have reported with KSP and OBS, and in fact is something I was aware of in the past from streaming the game, but I've found no solution. If nothing else I can just keep changing the PC resolution but it's kinda annoying to switch back and forth every time like that, so any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Does the game not have a windowed mode, or does it run/record like poo poo in such?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

You did a good thing. ADR--what you were about to try--is literally Its Own Job, Performed For Money, Professionally and it still takes a very very very special kind of person to do it in a way that's not so-bad-its-not-even-good. You're literally saving time just redoing all 12 hours.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

There's another weird issue i'm having with my recordings. It's not the end of the world, but looks a little weird and I'd like to fix it permanently. Basically, I am running KSP at 720p, but my computer resolution is at 1080p. With this setup, the videos have the mouse cursor at totally the wrong spot in the recordings, so when I click a button somewhere, in the video the mouse is nowhere near said button. If I mouse all the way to top left, it is accurately recorded in its correct location, but accuracy falls the further down and right I go.

If I set my PC resolution to 720p, it fixes this, and I recorded the first batch of videos this way, but I forgot to set the PC resolution back to 720p for the second batch and therefore this issue is present. I looked online and this is something others have reported with KSP and OBS, and in fact is something I was aware of in the past from streaming the game, but I've found no solution. If nothing else I can just keep changing the PC resolution but it's kinda annoying to switch back and forth every time like that, so any other thoughts would be appreciated.

You might have to bite the bullet and record 1080p30 as a display capture rather than capping the active window or the .exe and then export as 720 in post with some filters in post to make it look less like that's what you did (i.e. blurry nonsense). For a quick pass on low res footage I like

--a slight bit more saturation (helps the next step)
--a slightly less slight bit more contrast (eyes perceive difference in light more sensitively than differences in color)
--a sharpen filter (DO. NOT. OVERDO THE VALUES ON THIS.)
--maybe a reeeeaaaaaallllly mellow fast blur to smooth out the grain from your sharpen

Gentle, gentle, gentle fingers on all the values on this but especially the infamously problematic stock sharpen. The idea is your eyes dont see the filters, but your brain does. I'd suggest using the edges of text as the measures of how good/bad the filter stacks look, since those hard edges'll be your big problem areas, visually, by doing this. You can doot around with values for like 15-20 minutes, find something that looks accceptably okay at 720, save those presets, and then its drag and drop on all your subsequent footage.

This'll be a nightmare if you're using AVIsynth and not an NLE like Premiere. Which is why AVIsynth is actually bad at its stated job, and not good, but that's getting into workflow dickwaving and I apologize for even mentioning it.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 5, 2018

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Got a test video for a Iconoclasts LP I wanna do and I've been fussin with audio since yesterday. So mostly standard stuff like, does this look and sound alright?

https://youtu.be/cQmkKZOFmAo

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Combat Lobster posted:

Got a test video for a Iconoclasts LP I wanna do and I've been fussin with audio since yesterday. So mostly standard stuff like, does this look and sound alright?

https://youtu.be/cQmkKZOFmAo
You have noticeable audio desync (~0.5 seconds) throughout the video. It's not egregious, especially when multiple things are happening at once, but it is there.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm thinking of making a blind (or mostly blind) LP that's also narrative. I think I'll be okay with altering the story as necessary if there are unexpected twists in the story, but I'd be curious to consider other reasons that might make this a bad idea on its face*. The particular game is Dragon Wars, which from the rather barebones intro does not appear to have any secrets about the main character(s).

*I mean aside from "you're probably not that good of a writer"; the LP will live or die when I post it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kangra posted:

I'm thinking of making a blind (or mostly blind) LP that's also narrative. I think I'll be okay with altering the story as necessary if there are unexpected twists in the story, but I'd be curious to consider other reasons that might make this a bad idea on its face*. The particular game is Dragon Wars, which from the rather barebones intro does not appear to have any secrets about the main character(s).

*I mean aside from "you're probably not that good of a writer"; the LP will live or die when I post it.

No, I think the reason you outlined is pretty much the #1 reason not to do a bind narrative LP. Narrative LPs work best when you know the game and its plot inside and out and you can riff on it with ease and not be blindsided by twists. Unless your conceit is “I’m making this up as I go along, nothing is concrete and retcons rule the day,” in which case your prospective audience may be down with that, especially if you’re playing it all for comedy, but no one can say for certain.

I mean, if you think it’s gonna work and have confidence in it, then don’t let anyone talk you out of it, just don’t be surprised if it doesn’t work the way you planned it, if there even is a plan behind it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I guess it depends on what exactly you mean by "narrative". If you want your characters to be integrated into the environment, then you run the risks of their backstories/motivations being contradicted by lore. If you just want them to have defined personalities and make snarky comments, then that's much less of an issue.

Crow's suggestion to play fast and loose with continuity sounds like a winner here. You could play it as the party members being actors, yanked around by a director that can't make up their mind about the story. Keeping your origin story straight after five major historical retcons sounds like a good source of comedy. You can also do the old shtick of running a D&D campaign, where the DM didn't do their homework and keeps finding new details in the lore in the middle of the game. Like "Jerry, you're a half-orc, right? I just read here they're all deathly allergic to cheese so uh, roll for fort save vs. that Camembert you just ate."

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I was thinking of getting spoiled on the plot, but I think it will probably work better for the audience if it's clear that I might have to write myself out of a corner at times. Not that I expect that to be the sole gimmick (since it potentially might not even happen) but I think it's a more entertaining choice.I already intend for the characters to be often wrong about what's going on, so it should fit them well enough. They'd just be extra-confused.

Of course I also would need to do it for the NPCs too. There may be some way to work it out so that they're being manipulated by external forces, and that could probably by played up as the game progresses: E.g. I make it so minor boss A turns out to be controlled by medium boss B; then if I find out that medium boss B was actually a double agent I have them be controlled by C, up to and including adding a deus ex machina author insert if necessary.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Are there any good video sites left? I've pretty much given up on LPing since yt's become so terrible and dailymotion hardly seems any better. I'm considering ULing directly to the internet archive, but have never tried it before. Any suggestions?

Also how long can Baldurk be afk before we can officially be worried? What's the contingency? Do we even have one?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lacedaemonius posted:

Are there any good video sites left? I've pretty much given up on LPing since yt's become so terrible and dailymotion hardly seems any better. I'm considering ULing directly to the internet archive, but have never tried it before. Any suggestions?

Also how long can Baldurk be afk before we can officially be worried? What's the contingency? Do we even have one?

The LP Archive is a one man show entirely of baldurk's doing. The backup plan is someone builds their own new Archive to replace it. Also only only just been 3 months since the last update. There's been times where the Archive fell silent for over half a year. I know that's not encouraging, but that's where we're at right now.

As for video hosting, YouTube kind of is the only option right now. An alternative site doesn't appear to be coming along to replace it any time soon, and if they do they're pretty much structurally guaranteed to meet the same fate as Vid.me. Do ya'll remember Vid.me?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rip to my friends at viddler and blip dot tv

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Viddler is still alive, and I'm sure they'd love to sell you one of their corporate products.

The non-LP videos I uploaded there are still technically available if you know the URL actually but they're entirely non-discoverable so I assume I was just overlooked in the great purge.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
You can technically use twitch for video hosting now.

It's not much of a platform for discovering stuff in that sense but maybe that's for the better.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Viddler was a fun ongoing case study on how to completely ruin a video hosting service

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
It's sad, too, I liked their "comment on specific parts of a video" thing.

Then again maybe it's for the best nobody else has bothered with that, because some other people liked that a little too much. I remember one guy in particular would comment every 45 seconds or so on every one of Cooked Auto's videos.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The only reason YouTube got to be where it is today is because Google bought it and built it up. YouTube was pretty lame poo poo when it was first around, to the point where we actively advised against hosting there.

Maybe Amazon or something could look into a competitive service.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

amazon bought twitch

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
I've cleared out the archive queue. If you haven't gotten a response, send me another email at admin@lparchive.org.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
our hero

Kangra
May 7, 2012

What's a good place to host a relatively small binary file? I have a scenario file that'll be around 300-500 kB that I'd like to put up and maybe have it be accessible when archived as well. Any recommendations?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kangra posted:

What's a good place to host a relatively small binary file? I have a scenario file that'll be around 300-500 kB that I'd like to put up and maybe have it be accessible when archived as well. Any recommendations?

Dropbox, GoogleDrive or OneDrive? :confused: There's also more permanent hosting sites like Mediafire and Mega.nz.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Playing some old-rear end games and decided to try my hand at an Akalabeth LP.

OP
Potential Update

Not sure if I should move the character choice questions from the OP to the update, so any thoughts in that direction are appreciated.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The update is really frickin' short, but otherwise that looks fine to me.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Yeah, I can add more to the first update. Maybe move the reader poll questions there... or maybe eliminate them entirely. Akalabeth doesn't really lend itself to a great deal of participation. There really aren't that many choices to be made.

Maybe I'll just launch into playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I generally think shorter updates are better, but one image is probably taking it a little too far.