Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Croissant 64
Jun 2, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Salt Fish posted:

America keeps toddlers in kennels at toddler concentration camps but you can smoke weed in some places so it's a mix of good and bad.

Perhaps you're new to imperialism. Its ok to hurt others if it helps you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
It's easier to hold Democrats accountable because they actually care about :decorum:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Iron Croissant 64 posted:

Because the concept of money itself is a white supremacist construct so any amount of taxation is just reinforcing the regressive economic culture of america.

I mean this is mostly true but a 95% tax is a good first step on the road to fully automated luxury gay space communism

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Perhaps you're new to imperialism. Its ok to hurt others if it helps you.

What if it's for no specific reason?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

COMRADES posted:

"We shouldn't do good things because I don't like the people who are proposing we do them."
I'm anti-gerrymandering, but I have yet to see any reform proposed that doesn't simply shunt responsibility to even less democratically accountable partisan authorities. I'm interested in the two cases currently before the Supreme Court because of their potential political ramifications, but I don't think anything less than a Constitutional Convention or revolution will suffice to paper over the deficiencies of modern American government. Forgive me for looking askance at the people only interested in reforms seen as beneficial for their party. I can't help but question their devotion to country before party, especially considering the anti-American rhetoric the left embraces these days.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
well we cant have good things happen to people that i dont like

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mnoba posted:

maybe if obama spent less time playing golf, he could have solved korea or the sorry state of our education system

Hmm guys we seem to have someone that isn’t postin in earnest :thunk:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Salt Fish posted:

Donald Trump only builds his toddler torture center kennels with AMERICAN steel!

you may call them toddler torture kennels but i call them job opportunities for americans

plus you get federal wages and benefits

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Sedisp posted:

I swear Trump could propose medicare for all and pay for it with a 95 percent tax on billionaires and you'd immediately see half the people here suddenly be against it because it'd be bad for the economy.

Begin the chud accusation countdown!
This thread is about Trump making weed legal and the response wasn't "hell no, weed is bad now!" I know, reading is hard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

Donald Trump only builds his toddler torture center kennels with AMERICAN steel!
Pretty sure he's just reusing Obama's. That's called fiscal restraint.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Trump Rules!

The sad truth the liberal soyboys cant admit is he will go down as one of the greatest presidents ever.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Nut to Butt posted:

I don't think anything less than a ... revolution ... the anti-American rhetoric the left embraces these days.

:d2a:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If Trump legalizes weed, evangelicals will stop calling it devil's lettuce and rename it Jesus Salad

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nut to Butt posted:

It must be idyllic to live entirely within the present, but historical context is very relevant when discussing political parties, especially at the end of a multi-decade process of realignment.

Redistricting was never on the radar of Obama era activists until they'd already lost the battle in 2010, and it's largely because they're just like you- historically and politically ignorant.

ok

Nut to Butt posted:

I'm anti-gerrymandering, but I have yet to see any reform proposed that doesn't simply shunt responsibility to even less democratically accountable partisan authorities. I'm interested in the two cases currently before the Supreme Court because of their potential political ramifications, but I don't think anything less than a Constitutional Convention or revolution will suffice to paper over the deficiencies of modern American government. Forgive me for looking askance at the people only interested in reforms seen as beneficial for their party. I can't help but question their devotion to country before party, especially considering the anti-American rhetoric the left embraces these days.

lol this is one of the most historically ignorant statements i've ever seen, assuming that modern american government is even worse than american government back in the day

it's always been a tool of capital, the american revolution was fundamentally bourgeois and reactionary

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sedisp posted:

I swear Trump could propose medicare for all and pay for it with a 95 percent tax on billionaires and you'd immediately see half the people here suddenly be against it because it'd be bad for the economy.

Begin the chud accusation countdown!

Hmm yeah, I wonder how those stupid fuckin libs will react if Trump proposes a health care plan that he would never support in billions of years

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 10, 2018

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
If Trump personally gave each American 1 million dollars and then shot himself in the head I'd vote for him in 2020.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

If Trump personally gave each American 1 million dollars and then shot himself in the head I'd vote for him in 2020.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
can't start a communist revolution if your brain is mush because of drugs, the capitalist class knows that, why else would the media constantly be advocating for legalization?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Creamed Cormp posted:

can't start a communist revolution if your brain is mush because of drugs, the capitalist class knows that, why else would the media constantly be advocating for legalization?

lol

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Wulfolme posted:

trump is going to be reelected in 2020 and there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it

2 scoops, 2 genders, 2 terms

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nut to Butt posted:

Can I ask why you think that the only people concerned about gerrymandering are bad faith Democrats?

I don't think it is that hard to take some 3rd party neutral math nerds and have them whip up districts that make sense. A computer program could probably do it. It doesn't need to be some huge complicated production it just needs the politicians to stop preventing it from happening.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shamino posted:

2 scoops, 2 genders, 2 terms

Lol

Iron Croissant 64
Jun 2, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Creamed Cormp posted:

Marx said that communism cant happen without a simultaneous worldwide revolution otherwise you cant have a classless proletariat society because you need to create an empowered class to protect your workers from capitalism. Communists dont read, or if they do read, they dont understand what they read.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Hey guys in 11 minutes it'll be 4:20 and im gonna smoke a bowl just fyi

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I love you all

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Knight posted:

This thread is about Trump making weed legal and the response wasn't "hell no, weed is bad now!" I know, reading is hard.

Edit: I'm a doofus for misunderstanding what you typed.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Marx said that communism cant happen without a simultaneous worldwide revolution otherwise you cant have a classless proletariat society because you need to create an empowered class to protect your workers from capitalism. Communists dont read, or if they do read, they dont understand what they read.

uhm yes good point but your regdate means you suck

fruity no gay
May 7, 2018

by Cyrano4747
looking forward to Trump breaking the shackles of the Kim family from the north korean people

a modern day abraham Lincoln

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Or we're not dogmatically beholden to the exact word of a book written more than a century ago, Trotsky.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
When Trump started dismantling our already-lovely healthcare system I got worried at first, glad to see he's got a plan to replace it after all :2bong:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

trump owns

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

TRUMP 420 TRUMP 2020 LEGALIZE IT BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

ok

lol this is one of the most historically ignorant statements i've ever seen, assuming that modern american government is even worse than american government back in the day

it's always been a tool of capital, the american revolution was fundamentally bourgeois and reactionary
The revealed truth of dialectical materialism, lol. It's such an impoverished worldview. :sad:

COMRADES posted:

Can I ask why you think that the only people concerned about gerrymandering are bad faith Democrats?

I don't think it is that hard to take some 3rd party neutral math nerds and have them whip up districts that make sense. A computer program could probably do it. It doesn't need to be some huge complicated production it just needs the politicians to stop preventing it from happening.
Well, they filed those lawsuits, and they're the only ones talking about it. They just didn't think it was a problem until they lost. It's pretty straightforward. I imagine there are some idealists mixed in with the crowd, but it's a nakedly partisan attempt to get the courts to overturn the electoral consequences of elections. The conduct of elections, including the composition of districts, is constitutionally the responsibility of state legislatures. Historically, the two main governing concerns have been partisan interests and compactness/contiguity, depending on the state constitution. The Voting Rights Act applied some federal conditions on elections, but in the context of gerrymandering, the effect was mostly to create racial minority-majority districts, but not too minority because otherwise minority representation could be lessened by concentration in one or two districts. While its intentions were laudable, the VRA is now, rightly, a dead letter. It's an open question as to whether the Supreme Court will accept the invitation of these suits to usurp power from state legislatures, but if they do, precisely what interests they choose to balance will be interesting. You think it's simple, so what interests do you think should be balanced in the construction of districts? Some people say competitiveness and compactness, but that's actually quite difficult (if not impossible) to do, usually. Not to mention it would serve to even further entrench the partisan duopoly absent other major structural reforms.

Is that more or less interesting than what you thought you read between the lines, friend Moridin? :420:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

A dead white dude wrote it in a book a hundred years ago so it is sacrosanct is a very capitalist mindset.

Most leftists have evolved from blind adherence to all tenents of Marxist ideas my dude.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Nut to Butt posted:

The revealed truth of dialectical materialism, lol. It's such an impoverished worldview. :sad:

Well, they filed those lawsuits, and they're the only ones talking about it. They just didn't think it was a problem until they lost. It's pretty straightforward. I imagine there are some idealists mixed in with the crowd, but it's a nakedly partisan attempt to get the courts to overturn the electoral consequences of elections. The conduct of elections, including the composition of districts, is constitutionally the responsibility of state legislatures. Historically, the two main governing concerns have been partisan interests and compactness/contiguity, depending on the state constitution. The Voting Rights Act applied some federal conditions on elections, but in the context of gerrymandering, the effect was mostly to create racial minority-majority districts, but not too minority because otherwise minority representation could be lessened by concentration in one or two districts. While its intentions were laudable, the VRA is now, rightly, a dead letter. It's an open question as to whether the Supreme Court will accept the invitation of these suits to usurp power from state legislatures, but if they do, precisely what interests they choose to balance will be interesting. You think it's simple, so what interests do you think should be balanced in the construction of districts? Some people say competitiveness and compactness, but that's actually quite difficult (if not impossible) to do, usually. Not to mention it would serve to even further entrench the partisan duopoly absent other major structural reforms.

Is that more or less interesting than what you thought you read between the lines, friend Moridin? :420:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol at this proby reason

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

COMRADES posted:

Nut to But comes off wordy and alarmingly potent at first encounter, but we found out from his red text thread that he was really just some kind of very dumb animal that can type.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amateur Saboteur posted:

At least there's enough chud self awareness to
understand that currently, with no hail Mary and desperate turnaround that he will go down as a historical typo at best or a toxic low point in American history in probability.

Obama is a symbol just by existing, that and the Nobel prize solidifies his spot in history.

its pretty pathetic that the progressive icon, the holy combination of racial minority and member of the 'good guys' was just as bad, if not worse, than george w bush but at least the people rotting in gitmo, or the ones who got turned to ash by all those drone strikes could find solace in the fact that they were murdered by a "symbol" with a "peace" prize given to a mass murderer hahahahha

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

your friend a dog posted:

its pretty pathetic that the progressive icon, the holy combination of racial minority and member of the 'good guys' was just as bad, if not worse, than george w bush but at least the people rotting in gitmo, or the ones who got turned to ash by all those drone strikes could find solace in the fact that they were murdered by a "symbol" with a "peace" prize given to a mass murderer hahahahha

yes, the nerdy martial art that involves multi pound swords and an actual combat discipline, as opposed to the goon approved martial art, karate, which they've been assured is a true and worthwhile hobby by jacky chan movies. any other educated opinions you want to share with us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grape posted:

yes, the nerdy martial art that involves multi pound swords and an actual combat discipline, as opposed to the goon approved martial art, karate, which they've been assured is a true and worthwhile hobby by jacky chan movies. any other educated opinions you want to share with us?

angry democrat finds one weird trick to assuage his butthurt over being owned. chuds hate him!

• Locked thread