Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I remember having to use the wireframe Bradley trainer and clipping through a bridge and being launched to space.

Or that the treads would fall off if you hit a rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Or that the treads would fall off if you hit a rock.

That's real life.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Doesn't sound much different than the modern VBS3 trainer. 2 of my simulated strykers spontaneously exploded into the air and caused their crews and passengers to be launched screaming through the sky literally seconds after reporting REDCON 1.

I fell 1 foot off of a rock I walked over and broke my leg.

The Army has a proud tradition of buying only state of the art technology.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Even worse than the HHC CDR/1SG who tries to push around the staff is the HHC CDR/1SG who is works hard to ensure that no one can call out the staff for their utter bullshit.

There's being an HHC CDR/1SG and then there's being an HHC CDR/1SG where every other line 1SG/CDR is actively out for your jugular because you keep covering for lovely staff shops.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The JAINUS (or whatever the hell it was) war game simulation was fun as hell. Also super loving retro.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Blasting rope for the first time after like 2 months at like 0330 fireguard dudes and simulating you're pumpin it into Emma Jean's rear end by jerking off with an elbow flashlight lined with a poncho.

Emma Jean will marry you on Christmas exodus and give you three babies. You'll retire after 27 years of service. Three days later you will purposefully asphyxiate yourself, by hanging yourself with your tan belt that you've worn since the day it was authorized, while loving a flashlight and poncho. A smile crosses your face as you pass, as you remember the last times you were happy.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I haven't seen that dynamic yet. Line command teams seem to generally jump straight to the field grades when there's huge issues with the staff sections.

I usually feel like everything is burning down around me but somehow...it isn't. Maybe it's just because the BC, XO and S3 just keep dumping stuff on me so it seems like I'm always playing catch up.

I think one thing I have going for me is that since not many combat arms officers have experience as an S4 most things I do comes across as some sort of strange logistics wizardry. It's also surprisingly difficult to find out how to resource things you would otherwise think would be simple. Mostly because the method changed and whoever was around when that happened never bothered to fill in the new guy where to get X resource.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Have you considered failing at your job more?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

it's the paradox of hating your job, not wanting to be seen as a shitbag on top of wanting to use said job experience to leverage a better paying job as a civilian.

My friends that got out right after their PL time are only making like $65k a year. Of the 5 S4s I know that are now out of the Army 4 are making between $100-120K and the 5th makes $98k.

I'd prefer to make more money as a civilian than I did in the Army. I make something like $81k right now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Is BAH taxed now? That used to be a major source of pain for people getting out - the tax burden was substantially more.

Either way, taking a small pay cut is worth it. Especially if you can distance yourself from the military entirely, which means avoiding any government contracting jobs. They're usually full of angry ex military people who wish they were still in and try to bring all of their military bullshit into the workplace.

psydude fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 6, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The Total Military Compensation Calculator or whatever in MyPay is a great way to hammer in to some retards how much money they need to make come close to their Army lifestyle. ”But my buddy back in Texas makes almost 3100$ at this Car Shop and my E-4 pay is only 2100$” is a hard thing to land into when you realize the cost of housing.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Who loving cares what others think of you. Its Army

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

mods change my name posted:

Blasting rope for the first time after like 2 months at like 0330 fireguard dudes and simulating you're pumpin it into Emma Jean's rear end by jerking off with an elbow flashlight lined with a poncho.

Emma Jean will marry you on Christmas exodus and give you three babies. You'll retire after 27 years of service. Three days later you will purposefully asphyxiate yourself, by hanging yourself with your tan belt that you've worn since the day it was authorized, while loving a flashlight and poncho. A smile crosses your face as you pass, as you remember the last times you were happy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Is BAH taxed now? That used to be a major source of pain for people getting out - the tax burden was substantially more.

Nah. There are rumblings all the time about it being cut or taxed, but nothing's come of it yet. At a post like JBLM, it's pretty huge. It's about 25-30% of an O-2's pay at JBLM.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That idiot prior-service LT who posted photos of himself wearing a Che shirt under his uniform at West Point got an OTH. Guess communism didn't win, after all.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That’s a lol

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Naked Bear posted:

That idiot prior-service LT who posted photos of himself wearing a Che shirt under his uniform at West Point got an OTH. Guess communism didn't win, after all.

On the other hand he's prior enlisted so AFAIK that period of service qualifies him for Post 9/11 and VA bennies. So I'd say he won out on getting a free degree from West Point and also all the love the idiot Marxist crowd is going to shower him with.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Meh. He'll give a bunch of speeches to lefties and make money doing that for a few years before submitting a packet to the record correction board and getting it changed to an honorable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Meh. He'll give a bunch of speeches to lefties and make money doing that for a few years before submitting a packet to the record correction board and getting it changed to an honorable.

Or he'll run for Senate in MD.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
And he's out. Someone beat the game

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Is there a way to log into outlook with your CAC on a home computer? I managed it on my old computer but I don't remember how the gently caress I did it. I specifically remember looking at my units outlook calendar and all the colors were hosed up because I had a newer version of outlook. Windows 10 rather than Windows 7 I think, though now all our government computer use Windows 10.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Yeah go to the Army outlook website. I can’t remember the link but google it and it’ll come up. Then play the guessing game with which certificate to use until you get in.

Edit: https://web.mail.mil

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I mean the actual desktop app Outlook rather than the web based one. The web based one makes me input my pin like 10 times before it goes through.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It would require installing all of the root and intermediate certificates and finding the right outlook server to configure outlook (plugging in your .mil address and letting the config wizard do the rest probably wouldn't work), assuming the DoD still allows external outlook connections.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

psydude posted:

It would require installing all of the root and intermediate certificates and finding the right outlook server to configure outlook (plugging in your .mil address and letting the config wizard do the rest probably wouldn't work), assuming the DoD still allows external outlook connections.

There's like a 1-click solution for it now. It's not like 2015 where you had to hunt down 4 different pieces of software. And it's web.mail.mil.

Still sucks rear end, though.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
There used to be a civilian run website called militarycac or something, and the dude was always super up to date on the dod certificates and cac readers and drivers.

It looked like some geocities type poo poo which was pretty alarming but was better than all the guidance the army and did had on offer.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah i remember that, it was good poo poo

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That still exists but he doesn't host the install anymore. It redirects to the navy site for the download. Trick is, now you need a cac to download the cac certificates.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

There used to be a civilian run website called militarycac or something, and the dude was always super up to date on the dod certificates and cac readers and drivers.

It looked like some geocities type poo poo which was pretty alarming but was better than all the guidance the army and did had on offer.

He was a reserve CW5 who worked full time as an exchange architect for the DoD, if I recall correctly.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
If I remember right the dude running that site was a Signal warrant, which makes total sense if you’ve ever met a Signal warrant.

e: psydude with the info snipe

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

On killdozerversary, too.

Even tweeted before doing it

https://mobile.twitter.com/movrcx/status/1004045268856303617

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/DisgruntledDeck/status/1004404565830070278

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
These are the tweets during it

https://twitter.com/movrcx/status/1004144460140294150

https://twitter.com/movrcx/status/1004144265931485189

https://twitter.com/movrcx/status/1004143799453519872

https://twitter.com/movrcx/status/1004068439328206850

https://twitter.com/movrcx/status/1004069235813908481

https://twitter.com/movrcx/status/1004058419035279360

https://twitter.com/movrcx/status/1004150300792541184

https://twitter.com/movrcx/status/1004081858869714944

:911:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

thank you for your service

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

ahahahahahaha

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

At least he was wearing his kevlar.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

At least he was wearing his kevlar.

No gloves or eye pro though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT