Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is the one thing that really annoyed me about Shogun 2. Cavalry ended up being pretty useless because the basic unit backbone of every army was also a strong counter to them. I mean sure, I guess you could lock down a yari unit with infantry and then bring cav around for a rear charge, but that's throwing two units, one of which is probably fairly expensive, in to deal with a basic ashigaru unit. It's easier to just bring lots of archers and let them deal with things than to micromanage a bunch of mounted units to get mileage out of them while also not getting wrecked by spears.

Cavalry are for consolidating a victory by ensuring you can run down routing units, as well as forcing the enemy to defend their archers. You only need a few units, but they're very good at what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I've used cav to devestating effect in multiplayer, especially early on when no one really was used to defending their flanks against a sudden charge of yari/light cav from the forests. They are extremely squishy but used right they'll get a ton of kills before the yari ashigaru come in.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wonder if they will put in a dynasty warriors music pack.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

that vid reminds me, does artillery in ToB have the same chance to do critical damage that other projectiles do?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think my favourite part of this Three Kingdoms coverage is that the generals smack talk each other. I hope that's not specific to this scenario, and something can could happen dynamically in the campaign.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

I wonder if they will put in a dynasty warriors music pack.

I'm sure mods will handle that if they don't.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I will not be able to play this game without a mod that changes their poo poo sow sow pronunciation to the good and proper tao tao from the tv show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cow cow

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

So much stuff that it would be cool to backport:
Duels
Multiple generals
Generals talking smack

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find it interesting that, for a gameplay reveal trailer, this is much more reserved than the "SIEGE OF CARTHAGE" reveal for Rome 2.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Don Gato posted:

I've used cav to devestating effect in multiplayer, especially early on when no one really was used to defending their flanks against a sudden charge of yari/light cav from the forests. They are extremely squishy but used right they'll get a ton of kills before the yari ashigaru come in.

Keep in mind that the economical counter to yari ashigaru are yumi ashigaru and those are very vulnerable to cavalry. Bow ashigaru are not very good against samurai units or cavalry, but they're still cheap and good against yari ashi.

Also this is the correct pronounciation:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
*laughs in cao cao*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYpJ37ulsnk

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm hoping the pronunciations are just because of the marketing dude and will be more correct in the actual game, since they're claiming to be working with actual Chinese people and going to China and poo poo.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I find it interesting that, for a gameplay reveal trailer, this is much more reserved than the "SIEGE OF CARTHAGE" reveal for Rome 2.

they basically did a full 180 after the fiasco that was Rome 2 marketing. I remember when the next title was getting announced they did a big blog post detailing the different kinds of previews they'd show and exactly how those would differ vs in game content and stuff, and it seems like they've been walking on eggshells about it all ever since. Kind of justifiably really. I guess we'll see how this one launches but I think the Rome 2 launch really shook them and they've gone to pains to do better.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I heard they actually hired a Chinese consultant, Jayhou Dan from the city of CRP, to help with the pronunciation issues.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm already used to people butchering Chinese names so as long as they dont do something like

I'll live with it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

COW

PEE

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cow Cow and his son, Cow Pee, have taken to the field!

One thing I'm hoping for is reinforcements arriving on a timer rather than nigh instantly, and an option for them to be hidden by fog of war if AI controlled. It'd add a lot of tension and be generally cool.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Koramei posted:

I'm hoping the pronunciations are just because of the marketing dude and will be more correct in the actual game, since they're claiming to be working with actual Chinese people and going to China and poo poo.

they basically did a full 180 after the fiasco that was Rome 2 marketing. I remember when the next title was getting announced they did a big blog post detailing the different kinds of previews they'd show and exactly how those would differ vs in game content and stuff, and it seems like they've been walking on eggshells about it all ever since. Kind of justifiably really. I guess we'll see how this one launches but I think the Rome 2 launch really shook them and they've gone to pains to do better.

I didn't follow total war when rome 2 came out, what did they mess up with the marketing for it? Sorry, I tried to search but got nothing.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Senor Dog posted:

I didn't follow total war when rome 2 came out, what did they mess up with the marketing for it? Sorry, I tried to search but got nothing.

Rome 2 was absolutely awful until about 10 patches in, and a lot of people felt betrayed by the cool marketing

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, lots of false promises and stuff. Look up the Siege of Carthage, it was the biggest part of it; they made a really flashy and cool looking siege battle for a promo video, but what was actually in the game was totally different and not nearly as good. There were all sorts of other smaller claims like army customization, the AI being really great, civilians in the siege battles and so on that I forget but the list was like a mile long of things that clearly weren’t in the game in the end so a lot of people felt betrayed, doubly so with the game being pretty poo poo on launch anyway.

They’ve been way more upfront and honest about things ever since the backlash because of that but a lotta people are still upset about it, but then people are still upset about the switch from Med 2 so

Koramei fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 10, 2018

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

There’s going to be a lot of “HAO HAO HAO” coming from me playing this game

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I wonder how anime the fantasy mode insults and fights get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRf-ZoDQUfc

I wouldn't mind opera singer Lu Bu. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So I went and gave DeI a try and

oh my god

Any, uh, tips? I tried Pontus and noticed that even after like 5 minutes of non-stop engagement, my phalanxes had barely lost any soldiers.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

DeI has so many great ideas, moments of extreme satisfaction, but what you mention about your phalanxes is the biggest goddamn issue with it: If phalanxes are competently used, they never lose. It kinda sucks.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

DeI has so many great ideas, moments of extreme satisfaction, but what you mention about your phalanxes is the biggest goddamn issue with it: If phalanxes are competently used, they never lose. It kinda sucks.

Well, it is a historically accurate mod and we're all speaking Greek to this day, so....

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You can see some more of the duelling at the end of this interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFQHDRXiyfM

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Azran posted:

oh my god

Any, uh, tips? I tried Pontus and noticed that even after like 5 minutes of non-stop engagement, my phalanxes had barely lost any soldiers.

That information pop up there is just your recruitment pool. Different buildings will increase the growth of different classes. Each unit recruits from a different class. So for like high tier cavalry you'll need 1st class citizens and for militia chaff you'll need 3rd or 4th class citizens.

Battles just take a lot longer but all the same mechanics are in place as vanilla. Rear charge, flank and surround. Because battles take so long it's worth keeping a portion of troops in reserve so you can switch out your front line when it gets exhausted.

You can get a submod that will speed up the battles if that's not to your tastes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The speed was fine, though it was a field battle - I'll have to see how long sieges go for before applying any other mods. I really like the unit cards, the changes to the UI and the addition of a few new factions to the roster. We'll see how it goes!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Azran posted:

oh my god

On good ground phalanxes are basically tanks from the front, they aren't super killy but they hold out for a longass time. If you get behind them with cavalry though they rout in one or two charges.
Incidentally hoplites also have good charge bonus when out of the phalanx so you can use them as an OK hammer in a pinch.

At the moment it seems like cavalry and elephant rear charges are the only proper dps, though massed arrows are good too. Sadly javs are too inaccurate imo. Shock cavalry in particular are king in the current build.

Pontos is a fun campaign imo I had good fun with it.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

cow cow and his french buddy, ze huge!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

jfood posted:

cow cow and his french buddy, ze huge!

:argh:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Been playing around a bit with DeI - I love the map management aspect; having to draw from different citizen pools is a really cool idea, just like supply management and the like. So far, I don't like the combat side of things that much - even with the Faster Combat mod, phalanxes are annoying as poo poo and phalanx vs phalanx is slow as hell, to the point where I'm wondering if the devs subscribe to the historical theory that phalanx fights were just pushing/shoving matches.

I'll keep playing I think - I'm enjoying the increased faction variety, plus extra stuff to play in many cultural groups that only had a single faction choice before.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It is so annoying that the fantastic map changes are met with the really bad combat changes. It's at least revealed to me that I desperately want a button to detach the commander from his bodyguard unit to use it as a shock force, my generals keep dying because of the sheer importance of shock cavalry and the impossibility of attaining any of value until after you've pretty much destroyed most major forces that you desperately need it for.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'm okay with the combat apart from:

A) everyone moves way too slow, even modded, waiting 5 mins for the armies to meet eachother is absolutely not fun and adds nothing. Nearly every "realistic" TW mod insists on this.
B) missiles are way too inaccurate to the point they are massively outclassed by cavalry or light infantry outside of a few specific roles

And yeah hoplite supremacy is an issue and the AI does this annoying thing when it meets your line where it just sticks phalanxes through yours at a right angle and somehow your line breaks not theirs.

Otoh I like the length once battle is actually joined since you can quickly break armies but they don't all rout at once, you have to hammer specific points and drive them off bit by bit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of Cow Cow, has anyone else read the complaints about 3k characters speaking in “broken” english? I don’t get it

They have a slight accent (no “shamefuru disupurai” caricatures even) and they talk in that way where it sounds obviously translated from a language distant from english, like “cavernous head” and so on, which fits perfectly. That isn’t broken english at all nerds :(

Noted spergy rear end in a top hat Legend of Total War apparently started this so uh, not surprised

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mantis42 posted:

You can see some more of the duelling at the end of this interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFQHDRXiyfM

Xu Zhu not fat, preorder cancelled

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'm glad the exploding Chinese market means we get more Chinese historical stuff. Hopefully in a decade or two India will do the same and well get some of that too.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

nopantsjack posted:

I'm glad the exploding Chinese market means we get more Chinese historical stuff. Hopefully in a decade or two India will do the same and well get some of that too.

I've always wanted to experience games or even movies/books concerning the warlord period just before Mao took over, although idk how well that would play in the Chinese market.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For all it got wrong I did like how in Empire Total War factions would speak their own language. That was a nice touch. Fur ruhm und Vaterland!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

KazigluBey posted:

I've always wanted to experience games or even movies/books concerning the warlord period just before Mao took over, although idk how well that would play in the Chinese market.

I'd be more worried about the gameplay for that period. Total war has always been about formations and big blocks of men. I don't know how it would handle anything past the Russo-Japanese war. Even by the Balkans war of 1912, the Serbians are using loose skirmish lines as their default formation.