Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or you release a movie with a radically different background and suddenly your comic book history matches the movie for some reason. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Keromaru5 posted:

Speaking of which, is Red Skull still a clone of Steve Rogers? I've never followed Captain America that closely, so all I know is what's in the '84 OHOTMU.

That version of the Red Skull died at the beginning of Brubaker's run on Captain America. He transferred his consciousness to his killer's body using the remainder of a busted up cosmic cube's power. Then things got complicated, but I'm pretty sure the Red Skull running around right now is a clone of the original.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its like a bttf chart

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

That version of the Red Skull died at the beginning of Brubaker's run on Captain America. He transferred his consciousness to his killer's body using the remainder of a busted up cosmic cube's power. Then things got complicated, but I'm pretty sure the Red Skull running around right now is a clone of the original.

Is that Skull still alive? Didn't they cut Chuck's brains out of him or something?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Is that Skull still alive? Didn't they cut Chuck's brains out of him or something?

Yeah but then I think Sin and Crossbones killed him when NazSteve assumed control of Hydra

e: maybe they just locked him away? I can't remember

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Poasting on the Marvel page

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rhyno posted:

IIRC, they removed Chuck's brain from him, then Sin and Crossbones sprung him from jail, but Evil Steve promptly threw him out a window to his visible, on-panel death.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Arnim Zola's probably just gonna get another one out of his freezer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No one likes the Guardians.

Infinity Countdown #4

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lurdiak posted:

Comics, everybody!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Keromaru5 posted:

Comics, everybody!

It's weird because that run starts with a banger: The Red Skull is setting up a power play, he has his hand on a Cosmic Cube and all hell will break loose; then a sniper takes him out and the issue ends with his body laying on the floor. From there on it turns to the real antagonists, the Winter Soldier and the organization backing him. It's a cool twist and the story runs with it but then, as comics are wont to do, they just have to bring the Red Skull back and it's the same thing all over again.

That run also has some very gross stuff with Crossbones and Sin(?)

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I'll never get tired of villains putting Hitler in a positive light, it's such a low hanging fruit but always so sweet

Well in Skull's case the two actually were war buddies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That friendship didn't end well.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Keromaru5 posted:

Comics, everybody!

Related, from Tumblr

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Friendship with Hitler ended. Now Himmler is my friend!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Poasting on the Marvel page
While we're here and discussing Nazi ret-cons, is Captain America still straight-up a Nazi and has always secretly been so, or did they undo that yet?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Belatedly, but:

Lobok posted:

If anyone would give it the ol' college try it'd be Claremont.

Even Claremont balked at giving Boston Native Carol Danvers a phonetic accent.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

No one likes the Guardians.

Infinity Countdown #4

Groot talks now?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Alhazred posted:

Groot talks now?

Didn't Groot talk originally?

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah Groot started as an arrogant douchebag tree man, I think he was burned to death and then upon regrowth or whatever ended up with the I AM GROOT thing. I want to say it was in an Annihilation spin-off, maybe the Ultron one. Regardless I have no idea what's up with him currently but I am fine with him speaking if just to hear the musings of Groot, high arbor master of the Floras people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The "I am groot" thing was kinda wearing thin honestly.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

darthbob88 posted:

Related, from Tumblr

I remember when the Ultimate universe was an attempt to start over and make things less complicated for people getting into comics.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zereth posted:

I remember when the Ultimate universe was an attempt to start over and make things less complicated for people getting into comics.

Sooner or later every ongoing story will require flow charts.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Zereth posted:

https://xkcd.com/927/

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Zereth posted:

Haha that's the exact reason they killed it off and rolled the only character anyone gave a poo poo about into 616. Between the Stan and Jack heyday and Ultimate Marvel's launch was about 30 years of continuity with every mainstream marvel book and character, and Ultimate got at least that hosed up in half the time with probably a third of the comics published.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

purple death ray posted:

Haha that's the exact reason they killed it off and rolled the only character anyone gave a poo poo about into 616. Between the Stan and Jack heyday and Ultimate Marvel's launch was about 30 years of continuity with every mainstream marvel book and character, and Ultimate got at least that hosed up in half the time with probably a third of the comics published.

But, somehow, Injustice has managed to not gently caress it up for... 5 years now!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Toshimo posted:

But, somehow, Injustice has managed to not gently caress it up for... 5 years now!

Injustice is honestly great for what it is.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Somberbrero posted:

Injustice is honestly great for what it is.

An ongoing DC storyline where some characters are not heroes but villains and some villains are surprisingly selfish heroes?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zereth posted:

I've heard it said that Ultimate Comics was really an attempt to float prospective movie plots and see how they'd work out, and judging from the MCU I'm inclined to agree.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wiegieman posted:

I've heard it said that Ultimate Comics was really an attempt to float prospective movie plots and see how they'd work out, and judging from the MCU I'm inclined to agree.

They literally got permission to use Sam Jackson's likeness for Nick Fury six years before Iron Man came out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

They literally got permission to use Sam Jackson's likeness for Nick Fury six years before Iron Man came out.

They didn't get permission, Hitch used him as a photo reference. Ultimate Nick Fury was not visually based on SLJ.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

They didn't get permission, Hitch used him as a photo reference. Ultimate Nick Fury was not visually based on SLJ.

I thought at some point they got likeness rights before the movies. I know in his first appearances he doesn't look like Jackson, but after Ultimates he was drawn that way in everything.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure they talked to him and he thought it was cool. I don't know if it was formal.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skwirl posted:

I thought at some point they got likeness rights before the movies. I know in his first appearances he doesn't look like Jackson, but after Ultimates he was drawn that way in everything.

They did, though I'm not sure how much earlier. It included a stipulation that if they made movies Jackson would get right of first refusal for the part of Fury on-screen.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-Nick-Fury-Ended-Up-Looking-Like-Being-Played-By-Samuel-L-Jackson-71136.html

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

I dunno man. What if he doesn't like making movies and that was meant sarcastically.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

His wife also bought him some of the original art, I believe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like I said, it was nothing formal, Hitch used celebs as reference for most of Ultimates. SLJ Fury was done and in print before Sam even knew about it. I'm pretty sure that upon exiting each MCU film that Fury appears in I have overheard a conversation stating that U Fury was originally based on SLJ. Tom Raney was kind of pissed about the design change at one point as well.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Zereth posted:

Well good grief, imagine the size of that dropdown if you just type "Spider-Man". It'd be as tall as a building.

VanSandman posted:

An ongoing DC storyline where some characters are not heroes but villains and some villains are surprisingly selfish heroes?

And which, correct me if I'm wrong, you can read in its entirety just by following a single thread of comics from the beginning to the end in order? Or do you need to actually play the games at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The games are irrelevant other than as providing a basic frame for the story concept. It's entirely unnecessary.