Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I tried getting it running with 2 fully upgraded windmills and the thermopile but what I ended up doing was making the Mana Fluxfield before it was disabled and aiming no less than 3 Mana spreaders at it.

It's really stupid how much power it needs, and how the quest leads you to believe a single thermopile will keep it running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the induction heater can accept up to 25000RF a tick according to the FTB wiki

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Yeah the induction heater is a total waste of time to get working. Once you have the advanced crucible just stick coal coke in there, even a few pieces will go a long way. You should be swimming in coal with all the sifting and the higher level condensers anyway so it's not like coal coke is a difficult thing to get.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Super Jay Mann posted:

Yeah the induction heater is a total waste of time to get working. Once you have the advanced crucible just stick coal coke in there, even a few pieces will go a long way. You should be swimming in coal with all the sifting and the higher level condensers anyway so it's not like coal coke is a difficult thing to get.

I had trouble dealing with all the stupid creosote oil, until I made the Pyrolytic Conversion redstone furnace, which doesn't stop processing if the creosote oil fills up. Now I just shove whole stacks of coal blocks into the dumb thing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

futurepack

all the fun of the thaumcraft research system combined with the user-friendliness of bees

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I had trouble dealing with all the stupid creosote oil, until I made the Pyrolytic Conversion redstone furnace, which doesn't stop processing if the creosote oil fills up. Now I just shove whole stacks of coal blocks into the dumb thing.

Void fluid pipes. Activate it when you have a reasonable stockpile of creosote oil you're happy with and never worry about it again.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

futurepack

all the fun of the thaumcraft research system combined with the user-friendliness of bees

yeah my progress in exoria has pretty much stopped completely because holy poo poo futurepack is unintelligible

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

futurepack

Tangentially, I actually like the new Thaumcraft research system. It feels like you have enough influence and options with it and I even have fun with the "minigame" feature of it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

yeah my progress in exoria has pretty much stopped completely because holy poo poo futurepack is unintelligible

Speaking from experience, Futurepack is hot garbage much like Abyssalcraft, Guardians of Gaia, Infernal Mobs, etc. - a relatively interesting pitch followed by piss-poor execution.

On the same tangent as Vib Rib, Thaumcraft 6 is pretty great and the Betweenlands' herblore is rad as well.

Speaking of Creosote Oil - why not just burn it in a compression dynamo? Dual benefits of using up a waste product and generating power.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dynamos are kind of tricky to make early on in exoria; they require the use of buildcraft lasers, access to nickel from a midgame portal, and a carpenter full of an uncraftable liquid that spawns in pools around the world

i've got a bunch of them running off Immersive Petroleum gasoline, but that's really energy dense. the fewer you have to build, the better

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

dynamos are kind of tricky to make early on in exoria; they require the use of buildcraft lasers, access to nickel from a midgame portal, and a carpenter full of an uncraftable liquid that spawns in pools around the world

i've got a bunch of them running off Immersive Petroleum gasoline, but that's really energy dense. the fewer you have to build, the better

That sounds like a tedious pile of bullshit, yikes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, by the time you get access to dynamos, you've more or less moved past the period when you NEED coal coke for anything. It's handy for steel production, but you can also use the infinite amount of charcoal that comes from the Forestry charcoal pits for the task.

Also, while oil power is nice, it's not nearly as good as the turbine/alternator and boiler augment dynamo combo-wombo. You can run nearly five 25k RF/t combos off of a single boiler augment steam dynamo being fed by a functionally infinite amount of burnium blocks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Any modpack that requires buildcraft lasers should probably just be ditched immediately.
E: By 2019, 90% of my posts in this thread will probably just be "modpacks need to stop using Forestry/IC2/Buildcraft".

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 8, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the worst part about the latest builds of buildcraft is that they have reverted to only allowing buildcraft's snowflake power system, you can no longer power the snowflake crafting mechanics with your regular power stack

as a small mitigating factor, the engines do not appear to explode now

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, by the time you get access to dynamos, you've more or less moved past the period when you NEED coal coke for anything. It's handy for steel production, but you can also use the infinite amount of charcoal that comes from the Forestry charcoal pits for the task.

Also, while oil power is nice, it's not nearly as good as the turbine/alternator and boiler augment dynamo combo-wombo. You can run nearly five 25k RF/t combos off of a single boiler augment steam dynamo being fed by a functionally infinite amount of burnium blocks.

My point was not that you should only have Creosote Oil power, but that using it up to make power is more beneficial than just voiding it away. Obviously you can use an array of compression dynamos turning excess Creosote Oil into power alongside your wombocombo steam turbines.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

the worst part about the latest builds of buildcraft is that they have reverted to only allowing buildcraft's snowflake power system, you can no longer power the snowflake crafting mechanics with your regular power stack

as a small mitigating factor, the engines do not appear to explode now

Are you serious? They not only brought back MJ, but it's mandatory?

Edit: What is Buildcraft even good for these days? It was barely worth it the very instant someone came out with better pipes. poo poo, it was barely worth it when it was in its prime because even RedPower tubes were better than BC pipes.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 8, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Fortis posted:

Are you serious? They not only brought back MJ, but it's mandatory?

Edit: What is Buildcraft even good for these days? It was barely worth it the very instant someone came out with better pipes. poo poo, it was barely worth it when it was in its prime because even RedPower tubes were better than BC pipes.

It's good for nothing at all. The only reason you even use it in Exoria is because A) it's the earliest available item and fluid piping system, and 2) the redstone chipsets are needed for progression.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008
I never appreciated how spoiled I was by Thermal Expansion's pipes until I tried using the various early-game Exoria pipe options.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Embers pipes are complete garbage holy crap. At least with BC pipes despite the engine nonsense you can do a more or less serviceable job telling them what to do and where items should go without a ton of hassle.

Embers pipes are really fast but that's about it. Any sort of pipe system with intersections just completely collapses on itself as items gets stuck in random sections of pipe having no idea where to go and just sitting there, clogging up the rest of the system. Or items will completely bypass a valid inventory it can pump into and go along its merry way taking up space that should be allotted for items in inventories further down the line. Oh and having to stick a lever next to every extraction point was tedious enough when Buildcraft did it, so why is that still a thing?

Who programmed this? Why are your generic pipes being outperformed by Buildcraft pipes of all things? Buildcraft.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Super Jay Mann posted:

Embers pipes are complete garbage holy crap. At least with BC pipes despite the engine nonsense you can do a more or less serviceable job telling them what to do and where items should go without a ton of hassle.

Embers pipes are really fast but that's about it. Any sort of pipe system with intersections just completely collapses on itself as items gets stuck in random sections of pipe having no idea where to go and just sitting there, clogging up the rest of the system. Or items will completely bypass a valid inventory it can pump into and go along its merry way taking up space that should be allotted for items in inventories further down the line. Oh and having to stick a lever next to every extraction point was tedious enough when Buildcraft did it, so why is that still a thing?

Who programmed this? Why are your generic pipes being outperformed by Buildcraft pipes of all things? Buildcraft.

You're supposed to use a special block for item intersections. Sounds like this includes when a pipe passes up an inventory. Think of them as cobblestone buildcraft pipes but much faster, and the item routing block is... I don't know, a diamond pipe? I haven't looked at it.

From a few reddit threads I came across with people trying to ask questions about Embers, the creator is enamored with systems that are unexplained and unintuitive. He thinks that's what "magic" should be like and gets really mad when people expect things to be clearer.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the creator is an insane lunatic

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

More to the point, not only is the creator an insane lunatic, but he's an insane lunatic who has abandoned the mod entirely because Thaumcraft suddenly started existing. Embers is being maintained by the same guy who is doing the creepy animal sex harness clone mod Better With Mods, because he managed to fork the Embers repository before it got got.

Who knew that a children's block game would attract the mentally unwell?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I want Haunted Wastelands to be released. It looks fun, it's an exploration themed hardcore modpack set in the Lost Cities mapgen, which generates big dilapidated office-building type structures. In the mod, random building chunks (buildings always occupy one chunk) will be 'haunted' which makes them randomly spawn super-dangerous mobs, and locks any chests inside until the building is 'unhaunted' by killing like 50 of the spawns in that chunk - which is realistically a mid- to late-game task.

Wood is scarce, requiring you to find dead trees (for one-time wood) and Nature Cores (for some renewable wood).

Most of the materials in the world are not 'safe' to mine, and will randomly cause a somewhat dangerous troll to spawn when mined. So busting into buildings to steal a crafting table (which aren't craftable, only findable) can be risky.

Early game is focused on finding an unhaunted building, making it safe with torches/etc., then exploring for villagers to farm trades from/killing slimes and other mobs for loot until you can get enough gold for silk touch, to allow you to safely bust into buildings and mine ores from cave systems.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devor posted:

I want Haunted Wastelands to be released. It looks fun, it's an exploration themed hardcore modpack set in the Lost Cities mapgen, which generates big dilapidated office-building type structures. In the mod, random building chunks (buildings always occupy one chunk) will be 'haunted' which makes them randomly spawn super-dangerous mobs, and locks any chests inside until the building is 'unhaunted' by killing like 50 of the spawns in that chunk - which is realistically a mid- to late-game task.

Wood is scarce, requiring you to find dead trees (for one-time wood) and Nature Cores (for some renewable wood).

Most of the materials in the world are not 'safe' to mine, and will randomly cause a somewhat dangerous troll to spawn when mined. So busting into buildings to steal a crafting table (which aren't craftable, only findable) can be risky.

Early game is focused on finding an unhaunted building, making it safe with torches/etc., then exploring for villagers to farm trades from/killing slimes and other mobs for loot until you can get enough gold for silk touch, to allow you to safely bust into buildings and mine ores from cave systems.

I'm guessing regular stone is safe to mine? Can't get cobble without a cobblegen if you're restricted to a silk touch pick for stone.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

I'm guessing regular stone is safe to mine? Can't get cobble without a cobblegen if you're restricted to a silk touch pick for stone.

No, but sand/gravel/clay are safe so you can get your smeltery up and running early game. Once you're at mid-tier and you mine carefully, you can just kill the troll that spawns with a couple swats from a juiced up tinker's frying pan.

I don't think explosives does the 'danger' check to spawn the trolls, so you could probably use that method if you really needed cobble for something. And there's giant monsters that hurl TNT all over the place, I think you could pick up cobble from those guys if you can snipe or despawn them.

But you can find furnaces in the wild, so I don't think you necessarily need cobble for the early game.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Embers is being maintained by the same guy who is doing the creepy animal sex harness clone mod Better With Mods, because he managed to fork the Embers repository before it got got.

Good, I like that guy better.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay so, you can set up the Magneticraft Thermopile with two snow and some flowing lava on the other sides. Normally this would melt the snow and cool the flowing lava into basalt to force you to occasionally visit it to maintain the thing. However, a Floating Pure Daisy(or two diagonally-adjacent regular daisies) will turn the water back into snow, and Embers Automatic Block Breakers will break the basalt passively. Presto, 20 watts of loving USELESS POWER WHY IS MAGNETICRAFT SO BAD

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 10, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Okay so, you can set up the Magneticraft Thermopile with two snow and some flowing lava on the other sides. Normally this would melt the snow and cool the flowing lava into basalt to force you to occasionally visit it to maintain the thing. However, a Floating Pure Daisy will turn the water back into snow, and Embers Automatic Block Breakers will break the basalt passively. Presto, 20 watts of loving USELESS POWER WHY IS MAGNETICRAFT SO BAD

Don't bother with magneticraft power at all. I ran my entire base on two eight-sail windmills until I got the immersive tech stack going. You don't need its snowflake power for anything and IE wiring is superior -- you can punch it through walls with the feedback insulator, which means you can power things that need to be indoors no problem.

I didn't even make magneticraft's powered furnace. The quest is still sitting there waiting to be completed.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I decided to keep on truckin' with Exoria little by little, trying to push through this massive sphincter of Futurepack research. It helps that I found a comfortable rhythm with the research. Each thing you research has 1-6 aspects and the order in which you select them isn't important, so it takes at most 12 tries to complete any research item. You select one aspect, and if you get the puzzle piece you leave it on, and the yellow X means you turn it off. Rinse, repeat for every aspect until it vends the theory card or whatever the gently caress it is. So far it doesn't look like there are any surprises with regards to what you research, since the research is in a tree and the parent element is responsible for the researches for its children. I guess there's room for that to be wrong though.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't bother with magneticraft power at all. I ran my entire base on two eight-sail windmills until I got the immersive tech stack going. You don't need its snowflake power for anything and IE wiring is superior -- you can punch it through walls with the feedback insulator, which means you can power things that need to be indoors no problem.

I didn't even make magneticraft's powered furnace. The quest is still sitting there waiting to be completed.

How exactly does the feedback insulator work?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

dragonshardz posted:

How exactly does the feedback insulator work?

Get two wire connectors (not relays) of the same voltage and put them on opposite horizontal ends of a solid block. Bop one of them with the engineer's hammer and it'll turn into a (tiny) multiblock. Now you can hook wires up to both ends and it'll punch the wire through the wall while maintaining a solid block. Perfect for all those fiddly machines that need to be in a closed room with 437 Infinite Intermediate Product Blocks or whatever.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I love progress being ground to a screeching halt as I wait for bees to die over and over and over and over again.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Get two wire connectors (not relays) of the same voltage and put them on opposite horizontal ends of a solid block. Bop one of them with the engineer's hammer and it'll turn into a (tiny) multiblock. Now you can hook wires up to both ends and it'll punch the wire through the wall while maintaining a solid block. Perfect for all those fiddly machines that need to be in a closed room with 437 Infinite Intermediate Product Blocks or whatever.

Wait what? Since when was this a thing? The only reason I really bothered with magneticraft power (ended up making 12 thermopiles with basaltic magma and snow surrounding them, the combination of which somehow prevents any melting/cooling business on either. It actually works quite well tbh although it was quite expensive to get it going) is because Magneticraft wiring doesn't require any line-of-sight shenanigans like IE wiring does. This changes everything.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

See, I saw the part where it shows how to set up the connectors in the manual, but it makes no mention of bopping the wires with a hammer.

Super Jay Mann posted:

I love progress being ground to a screeching halt as I wait for bees to die over and over and over and over again.

Wait what? Since when was this a thing? The only reason I really bothered with magneticraft power (ended up making 12 thermopiles with basaltic magma and snow surrounding them, the combination of which somehow prevents any melting/cooling business on either. It actually works quite well tbh although it was quite expensive to get it going) is because Magneticraft wiring doesn't require any line-of-sight shenanigans like IE wiring does. This changes everything.

It's been possible since the update to 1.12.2, I think.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Super Jay Mann posted:

It's very new.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i just used capacitors as ways to get power inside buildings; wiring happens on the ceiling. can never have enough storage and i'm never gonna jump 7 blocks up to be electrocuted

-me, before being repeatedly electrocuted

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Pro tip: eschew cables or powerlines, use vibrant capacitor banks as power conduits.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i just used capacitors as ways to get power inside buildings; wiring happens on the ceiling. can never have enough storage and i'm never gonna jump 7 blocks up to be electrocuted

-me, before being repeatedly electrocuted

Insulated wires are your friend. Well, not that you can insulate HV wires. I always end up with a bird's nest of HV wire in the sky above my base. And a jetpack. And a frequent motion impulse because of an electrical impulse. And pain.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

So the embers dawnstone anvil is actually pretty useful for repairing tools, like my beloved axepickvel. The materia used for repair is not too expensive to make, although you have to make it with the exchange tablet. One materia repairs back to full durability.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

VegasShirtGuy posted:

So the embers dawnstone anvil is actually pretty useful for repairing tools, like my beloved axepickvel. The materia used for repair is not too expensive to make, although you have to make it with the exchange tablet. One materia repairs back to full durability.

Supposedly you can repair the strainer meshes with that materia thing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I always wanted a mod that just automatically does wires/power distribution for you without taking up whole blocks. Let me set a block somewhere and every power-driven machine in a radius of 16 blocks or whatever gets automatically powered. I've never been good at running space-consuming wires and I don't enjoy dealing with it, so gently caress it, just do power for me. I concede.

Flux Networks is pretty okay for this.