Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've played Dominion a lot less than I used to mostly because it's a pain to setup and teardown -- I've never invested in a storage solution so there's a lot of having a bunch of boxes open and figuring out what expansions go where. Still, we pulled it out last game night and had forgotten how good it is.

Is there anything particularly recommended? I just have base, seaside, prosperity and cornucopia which is 1400 cards if wiki is right.

E: looking more at 'buy this card holder on amazon' as opposed to 'here's my year-long carpentry project with engravings and inlaid gold foil.'

E2: probably not this one.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

I've played Dominion a lot less than I used to mostly because it's a pain to setup and teardown -- I've never invested in a storage solution so there's a lot of having a bunch of boxes open and figuring out what expansions go where. Still, we pulled it out last game night and had forgotten how good it is.

Is there anything particularly recommended? I just have base, seaside, prosperity and cornucopia which is 1400 cards if wiki is right.

E: looking more at 'buy this card holder on amazon' as opposed to 'here's my year-long carpentry project with engravings and inlaid gold foil.'

E2: probably not this one.

I use a giant 4" ring binder with baseball card holders, which works great if you don't sleeve your cards like a crazy person. Every kingdom card is organized alphabetically, so it's a breeze to set up a game.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Dominant Species is one of my favorite worker placements alongside Caylus and Argent, but it can get really goddamn mean.

The End posted:

This goon loves it. It's not for feint of heart though. A massive brain burner, and you always feel like you're on the back foot.

Bottom Liner posted:

Dominant Species is more euro than anything, just with a heavy amount of aggression because of its territory control mechanics. I think it’s incredible, but it’s a very long game. I wish I could play it more, really enjoyed it both times I played. It’s on Tabletopia and Vassal, and there’s a buggy iPad app if you want to play against ai.

Thank you for the feedback Goons.

I was debating the beating I was going to get for buying a game right as we are packing vs how many times I could get it to the table.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jedit posted:

Nope - there are two LCGs not published by FFG, although they're not called LCGs because that's trademark. Doomtown Reloaded and Shadowfist. Both of them are good with four players, and for Shadowfist it's actually the optimal player count.

Hey, maybe this will cause people to join in on the Secret War... though Shadowfist and Netrunner are very, very different animals.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Can anyone post (or quote a post) at me about Rolling Stocks? I saw it on a list of “games i would drive an hour to play” by Clearclaw while looking up 18xx variants, and that impresses me.

Also I’m addicted to 18xx. I played 1849 with Taser Rates and I haven’t stopped thinking about dividends since. Trainruster58, etc. etc.

Bottom Liner posted:

That and if one player decides to tank the game (be it federalist or someone that just knows they can't win) the other players can't really do much to stop them. That's what I meant by fragile. It's too tightly balanced for a game that has a traitor element IMO. Only played once with 6.

You had a way. It was to fuckin pay me

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fellis posted:

You had a way. It was to fuckin pay me

I was willing but not able.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Bottom Liner posted:

I was willing but not able.

yeah well blame the other jerks, who refused to negotiate :mad:

That was a fun game, though I agree that New Angeles is pretty fragile. Even when worked together it seemed pretty hard to keep the board under control. We should play John Company, the negotiation and brinkmanship is a little more mechanically supported and it's sorta fun to watch the company swirl down the drain, especially when it's due to unabashed embezzlement by all parties

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fellis posted:

yeah well blame the other jerks, who refused to negotiate :mad:

That was a fun game, though I agree that New Angeles is pretty fragile. Even when worked together it seemed pretty hard to keep the board under control. We should play John Company, the negotiation and brinkmanship is a little more mechanically supported and it's sorta fun to watch the company swirl down the drain, especially when it's due to unabashed embezzlement by all parties

Add it to the pile, I definitely want to try it. I'm bringing some insta-coffee this year and plan to go late every night and sleep in a little longer and skip the chaos.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bruceski posted:

On a different note, I picked up Azul. Looks like it's pretty straightforward, is there anything to note for ease of teaching to others?

Very methodically walk people through the first turn's building phase, otherwise someone will inevitably goof and build/clear with an incomplete line on accident.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Stan Taylor posted:

Is robo rally worth a shot in 2018? It seems like it might be a bit too random to be anything but frustrating. I do love the programming moves mechanic that space alert has and a racing game is something that I'm missing from my collection.

Room 25 is an action programming game that is pretty good. Also a hidden traitor game. And has an escape room expansion.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Yes, but even said smokescreen is fairly illusory.

Exhibit A: all the groups that git gud and count cards and stuff, proving the BSG bloaty mechanics don't create proper uncertainty in themselves and rather just hope you won't bother to stop keeping it casual.
Exhibit B: Resistance is as streamlined as it could be, has no randomness and yet is the undisputed king of the genre.

Traitor games have always been flawed at their core and pretty much all of genre's champions (Shadows over Camelot, BSG, DoW) coast by the promise of exciting social dynamics and then fade away as people actually start caring about underlying mechanics. The semi-coop genre, where tanking the game (betraying other players) is offered as means of leveraging your competitive position, while having some problems on its own, is the closest we got this dynamic to something legit working.

Hidden traitor games are best as party games, IMO, which is why the simpler versions of the genre tend to be better. There are fewer rules to learn and less work to do in set up and play.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How is Mysterium and are the components other than the rulebook free of text? I can get it cheap, but it's not in English. I like the idea of it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Mysterium is not language dependent at all. There might be player aids and so on but the actual meat of the game is totally visual.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

a7m2 posted:

How is Mysterium and are the components other than the rulebook free of text? I can get it cheap, but it's not in English. I like the idea of it.

Yes. All the cards are just pictures. If you don’t like the little clairvoyance tracker minigame, leave it out. It wasn’t originally included and iirc was only added to the international release.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I can get a new one (just not in English) for about 57% of what I'd pay new for an English version at home. Is that worth it?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mr.Trifecta posted:

What are people's thought son the Shadows over Brimstone set of games? Last I read they had like 3 expansions and I check BGG and see they have about 50 now. Is it pretty tedious or tedious setup?

Eh, they're okay. However, there aren't really a ton of decisions to be made when playing. One character in my group last time we played has a big rifle. If he hits with his big rifle he gets to shoot again. If that hits he gets to shoot again. However, it's not like you actually have a ton of input on that type of turn - you get to pick who you want to try to make dead, and hope you roll well. Then you repeat next turn, again hoping you roll well.

It's better than Warhammer Quest, but something like Gloomhaven puts it to shame in terms of actual playability. Some design decisions really kill the replayability, too - like by making all the enemies use actual miniatures, there are far fewer enemy types in the game.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

a7m2 posted:

I can get a new one (just not in English) for about 57% of what I'd pay new for an English version at home. Is that worth it?

Absolutely. The rules are very simple, so you'll easily remember/teach them after learning through online pdf/video or however you like learning. I don't think there are any pieces with words at all, unless you count Roman numerals on a clock.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So first game spirit island. I have a fast innate action so basically I can only use it if I play a bunch of fast cards to get an elements on the board during the fast phase?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

So first game spirit island. I have a fast innate action so basically I can only use it if I play a bunch of fast cards to get an elements on the board during the fast phase?

You get the elements as soon as you play the card, not when it fires.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

jmzero posted:

You get the elements as soon as you play the card, not when it fires.

Do the cards secondary effect requirements include its own element generation?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yep, they can trigger themselves.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Dear god. Game hard. Blight everywhere. Probably gonna lose.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bum the Sad posted:

Also note those are element thresholds. You don't 'spend' elements. If you have two leaf, and two innates require two green leaves, you get both of them.

And yes, the moment they are paid for and on the table, you get the elements. Fast, slow, doesn't matter.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bum the Sad posted:

Dear god. Game hard. Blight everywhere. Probably gonna lose.

I dunno if you lost or not but in my experience Spirit Island games tend to get worse and worse and worse and then you just Win. I could see this being something of a failing of the game having a proper "arc" (I think someone here has said that before, more or less) but it doesn't really bother me. You definitely get situations where the island is 1-3 blight away from exploding but then you generate 14 Fear in a single Fast phase and activate 2 fear cards that all just wipe out the board.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A friend of mine said something about Spirit Island that I really like: It’s a long game of strategically patting down parts of a growing fire so the house doesn’t entirely burn down, until the fire truck comes.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
With much finagling and take backs we won our intro game!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

while trying to wrap my head around what im gonna be doing in 18usa, it occurs to me it's a shame the game is purely financial and doesn't get into the political scrapes of the period

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

*rushing into the thread, panting*

dominant species is *gasp* loving awesome

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CommonShore posted:

I believe it and can’t wait for it, but I am really loving Bios Megafauna as a spore-boardgame right now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Hell yeah. It's number one on my Gencon math trade want list. Here's the rest of what I'm hunting:

Gaia Project
Keyper
Ortus Regni
Tigres & Euphrates
Targi
Dungeon Petz

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Board games at a Portland bar for self-identified nerds

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 10, 2018

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Well telestrations is pretty good!

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Went to a board game meetup in a pub in Melbourne yesterday night cos I'm here for work for a few days. One table was playing CaH, and another was playing Lisboa. I don't think I ever expected to see that being played in a pub.

Got to play Hardback which I really enjoyed, been ages since I played a spelling game and had a nice blend of interesting deckbuilding mechanics comboed with spelling. It's market row though so all the usual issues that has, though at least it has a useful mechanic for doing stuff with your currency if you can't buy anything good. It also felt like I was able to mitigate the market row issue by just being better at spelling, and won with a small lead.

Played a few rounds of Codenames, and also picked up The Gallerist at a local store since it's incredibly hard to get in NZ. Played a solo game and it's.. confusing. I met the Apprentice level goals and almost the Experienced goals, but felt very much like I was working it out turn by turn rather than having a coherent sense of direction. The choices seem very simple, and it's mechanically quite straightforward, but I was still having to check the reference card/manual nearly every move. Hopefully that will improve with repeat plays - I had expected from reviews etc that it would take a few games to really get a sense of how it all fits together. Beautiful game though. I like the totally extraneous artist easels - I assumed from the picture on the back of the box that those would have some in-game purpose, but nope, just for fun.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Bottom Liner posted:

Hell yeah. It's number one on my Gencon math trade want list. Here's the rest of what I'm hunting:

Ortus Regni

Huh. Thought i was the only person who's heard of that, although I'm still working it out. Like to give a short sales pitch?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Chill la Chill posted:

I believe it and can’t wait for it, but I am really loving Bios Megafauna as a spore-boardgame right now.

Having a chuckle with the card combinations was fun when I played it too.

StashAugustine posted:

while trying to wrap my head around what im gonna be doing in 18usa, it occurs to me it's a shame the game is purely financial and doesn't get into the political scrapes of the period

18USA specifically has a very goofy theme, even besides its randomized metropolii. The game starts with a America with modern-day boarders and population zones, but the Baltimore and Ohio railway predates the Mexican Cession by 19 years. In history, railways were the engine of America's westward expansion, in the game they are cavorting around an already-settled land. 18USA is not really trying to say anything about the impact railway had in America, but instead is just feeding content to 1817's stock market system.
There are 18XXs that tell a historical story, instead a fable of economic development (ie bigger companies running faster trains to richer cities). 1856 has a stalking national rail, 1880 has a full-on communist revolution, 18CLE has the brown-tiles and off-board values worth less than the green due to the great depression, and 1849 you cause an earthquake in Messina with a phase change. I think 1817 in particular is depicting an unregulated boom time, hence the 20 companies and extensive stock-market manipulation.
Besides that, what are you talking about? One of the privates is a government land grant, that's politics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kerro posted:

also picked up The Gallerist at a local store since it's incredibly hard to get in NZ. Played a solo game and it's.. confusing. I met the Apprentice level goals and almost the Experienced goals, but felt very much like I was working it out turn by turn rather than having a coherent sense of direction. The choices seem very simple, and it's mechanically quite straightforward, but I was still having to check the reference card/manual nearly every move. Hopefully that will improve with repeat plays - I had expected from reviews etc that it would take a few games to really get a sense of how it all fits together. Beautiful game though. I like the totally extraneous artist easels - I assumed from the picture on the back of the box that those would have some in-game purpose, but nope, just for fun.

The easels do serve a purpose, they hold the artworks in the auction. :eng101:

The solo game is a fair bit different to the real thing because Lacerda moves predictably but not rationally. You win at The Gallerist 2P by getting into the same rhythm as the other player but one step ahead, and at higher counts by predicting where another player is most likely to need to go. It's a different skill and not one you learn playing alone. The game will get more explicable after a couple of plays, though; I must have taught it to over a dozen people and they all (bar one) said they started to get the game about halfway through.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nonathlon posted:

Huh. Thought i was the only person who's heard of that, although I'm still working it out. Like to give a short sales pitch?

You can play it on Steam if you want to try it out without dropping an obscene amount of money on it like I did recently. I missed the Kickstarter last month but apparently it's just them offloading unsold stock under the guise of player mats.

It's a primarily 2 player card game although expansions add more to that. You have a deck of 24 cards with various military and political actions to destroy your opponents fief which starts as just a palace. Fiefs can be extended with castles and lands that garrison troops used to attack opponents. Any card can be played face down as a tower to defend your fief. There's a built in timer that begins to summon vikings and you can influence them to join your side.

It's a fairly straightforward game with a limited card pool but the game encourages you to construct your own deck and all the cards interact well with each other. Like you need lands to garrison soldiers but mercenaries can also garrison soldiers. However soldiers are immune to politics whereas mercenaries can be removed or stolen. There's zero text on the cards and the meat of the game is getting into the deck building meta so I can't imagine it's an easy game to get people into.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

After something like eighteen months since the last game I've ended up playing two games of BSG in the last few days.

I can confirm that that is one dated motherfucker . There are so many annoying little bugs. Viper piloting is just odd, FTL doesn't tell you the dice roll you need to make, etc. And yet there's hardly anything that has even tried to usurp it out there and nothing that has come close to succeeding

I do hope FFG have plans for a TI rebadge and refresh of it

Mojo Jojo fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 10, 2018

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I...I assume you're talking about BSG, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

How dare you not be able to read my mind to know what game I was talking about

(Yes)