Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/i/status/1004771991537233921

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Dragonstoned posted:

Yeah but its not their fault they don't have funding and the staff needed to take all the calls they get so calling them "poo poo" for it is pretty unfair. I think the "number of lives saved" to "number of lives lost due to them being on hold" ratio is still going to be pretty good.

I agree it sucks that vulnerable people being put on hold is bad but maybe if the rest of your healthcare system wasn't a compleat shitshow they'd get the help they needed sooner?

I don't think your solution of "don't tell/advertise a service that might save lives because some vulnerable people might end up on hold instead" is the best "fix"

Jerry Cotton posted:

poo poo the gently caress off your argument is ludicrous.

Ok, you're all right. I'm sorry for wording it the way I did. I know someone who was struggling with suicide ideation and he said it was extremely upsetting being on hold for so long the few times he called, especially since they put breaks in the hold music every few minutes which makes it sound like someone is picking up (which gets your hopes up). I shouldn't have called it poo poo and the concept as well as the people behind it are doing more good than harm.

Male Tiers has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Jun 10, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I don't get it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IsSpAOD6K8

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCY0aeUx-Ns

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Male Tears posted:

Ok, you're all right. I'm sorry for wording it the way I did. I know someone who was struggling with suicide ideation and he said it was extremely upsetting being on hold for so long the few times he called, especially since they put breaks in the hold music every few minutes which makes it sound like someone is picking up (which gets your hopes up). I shouldn't have called it poo poo and the concept as well as the people behind it are doing more good than harm.

Stop that, this is the internet, you're meant to double down on your terrible opinion and never admit you were wrong.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

om nom nom posted:

Same as it ever was

Here comes a twister, baby.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW1uN0SjKPY

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

“Paint my chicken coop!”
“No!”

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Guess I'll post some original content from the other thread, as they seemed to have enjoyed it.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Idgi?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Incels are totally the type to think Seagal is actually a badass, instead of an ambulatory mound of suet.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

incredible

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

Paladinus posted:

Guess I'll post some original content from the other thread, as they seemed to have enjoyed it.

May the heavens rain down radiant jewels and sweet meats apon you.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Paladinus posted:

christ

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Milfhouse is not a meme

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859560&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
Fun meme thread in GBS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

titties posted:

Milfhouse is not a meme

lol

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

They forgot the worms and plastic minnows!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've been giggling at this for several minutes now, thanks.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Dragonstoned posted:

Yeah they absolutely do that on purpose and its not at all to do with the fact that they're horribley underfunded/understaffed.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and claim they have plenty of staff, it's edgy shithead kids on the internet getting the number and wasting the volunteer's time

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

That lead me to this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9uk9IcoQ0w

So, thanks for that.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

MageMage posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and claim they have plenty of staff, it's edgy shithead kids on the internet getting the number and wasting the volunteer's time

Well I'm sure your assumption with 0 evidence to back it up is spot on :bravo:

but not really, because its absolutely about them being terribly underfunded and nothing to do with "prank calls" and after googling "national suicide hotline prank calls" nothing came up to say there was any kind of widespread problem of prank callers wasting employees time

I did find that Minnesota had to shut down their state helpline because of lack of funding though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Who What Now posted:

They forgot the worms and plastic minnows!

Where am I gonna get worms and plastic minnows??

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ignite Memories posted:

Where am I gonna get worms and plastic minnows??

The Florida Everglades

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Who What Now posted:

The Florida Everglades

:thanks: :can:

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/Jackapedia_/status/1006007243609989120

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

:discourse:

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012
What a time to be alive.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Except for one person.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

Mycroft Holmes posted:

here's a meme deep cut

Expanse references, but I can't tell if they all are cause I've only seen the show :(

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Dragonstoned posted:

Well I'm sure your assumption with 0 evidence to back it up is spot on :bravo:

but not really, because its absolutely about them being terribly underfunded and nothing to do with "prank calls" and after googling "national suicide hotline prank calls" nothing came up to say there was any kind of widespread problem of prank callers wasting employees time

I did find that Minnesota had to shut down their state helpline because of lack of funding though.

Hi.

I work for the NSPH as a paid crisis worker, and before that I was a volunteer. Pranks are most definitely a thing we deal with on a nightly basis. Most of the time, we can tell if someone is pranking us and we end the call quickly, but on occasion, some rear end in a top hat will go all in on it, and one of us (not me so far, thankfully) will spend 10 minute talking about their pain and loss before the hilarious Minecraft joke comes out and they hang up. And every call into the hotline requires a call report. And every time a prank caller says they are having thoughts of suicide and then hangs up on us, we are required to call them back unless we are absolutely 100000004% certain it was a prank. And then, when they inevitably don't answer, we are required to schedule a follow up call so that we can try and contact them one more time to make sure they are all right. And when we make that follow up, we have to make notes on the call whether it goes to voicemail or results in us talking to them. And then if we don't talk to them, we have to get final permission to close the follow up. Oh, and supervisors have to review every call report involving a suicidal individual unless we're absolutely certain it was a prank.

Prank calls eat up a massive amount of time that we don't have.

And gently caress. If one minor calls in a prank about another minor, that's everything above times three as we attempt to involve parents as well.

Also, like you said, people get put on hold because we're underfunded and colossally, mindfuckingly understaffed. For example, on most weekend nights, when many people are feeling their most isolated and vulnerable and alone, we'll have two people on the lines at our particular call center, answering calls for five different hotlines. Obviously I can't give any specific details, but I regularly spend over an hour on calls with people who are scarfing down pills mid conversation, or standing on bridges, or staring at a loaded gun. If both people working the lines are taking a call like that, yeah, people are gonna wait on hold. It sucks. It sucks to put one suicidal person on hold to bounce between calls with two other suicidal people. It sucks to have to end a call with a recent sexual trauma victim because you need to be able to give 100% of your attention to the drunk heartbroken dude who is on the verge of driving straight into oncoming traffic or whatever.

Add in the fact that it takes a certain kind of person to voluntarily spend their free time immersed in other people's misery, and you can see the issue here. Staffing is gonna be a problem. This is where volunteers come in. If you think there's a remote possibility that you could handle it, go find a local crisis line and look into volunteering. I make it sound horrific, and it is, but I also genuinely know that I have the best job in the world. I really do. As I'm headed home after a long, draining shift, I'm on top of the loving world, because chances are I stopped someone from doing something they'd very likely regret, and I've been told by multiple people that calling us helped them turn their life around.

So go get immersed in misery in your free time and make it so that someone at their lowest point doesn't have to wait on hold. It'll seriously change you in the best way possible.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ok who is responsible for this thread title, I have that that drat song stuck in my head for like 2 weeks now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012