Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
- teenage boy playing mahjong on his phone whilst having his blackheads squeezed by a teenage girl who's half sitting in his lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

yaffle posted:

- teenage boy playing mahjong on his phone whilst having his blackheads squeezed by a teenage girl who's half sitting in his lap.

I refuse to believe this one

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's more of a Korea than a China thing in my experience. Saw the public pimple squeezing plenty there, loving disgusting.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

angel opportunity posted:

Chinese bus cast of characters, feel free to add your own

groady perv foreigner touching himself as he ogles all the girls on the bus

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Cry Havoc posted:

groady perv foreigner touching himself as he ogles all the girls on the bus

Don't sign your posts.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

sorry for doxxing you but you were starting to creep me out and that’s saying something for a chinese bus

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

Bajaj posted:

TOPICAL

is she saying it’s a shameful method of death

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
IF U WAN 2 B THA HOTTEST AUNTY DANCER EV@R, HEREZ HOW

Cry Havoc posted:

is she saying it’s a shameful method of death
No clue. That's as far as the conversation got, after I wrote "LOL" in reply.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Soap shoes are back, time to dust off my old pair! :D

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can we do Chinese Tour Bus characters?

-Cluster of older auties with huge visors, always over-dressed, always in a dense cluster. The cluster will move at a glacial pace until an important doorway is spotted, at which there will be a mad dash to get through it first in order to block the door for everyone else. Points are scored by how well they can block the doorway while pretending not to notice anyone else trying to get through.

-Middle aged dude with a lot of camera equipment who walks away from the bus during a break for a smoke. This isn't a scheduled stop or official FAMOUS destination so he's not scrambling to take photos or be first in line for anything. For a few brief moments he's alone, tranquility washes over him. Perhaps this is what a vacation is about, feeling chill and relaxed? I see this man, I want to rescue him, I want to take him away from this tour bus and show him all the most peaceful and beautiful places my region has to offer, none of which are on the tours or brochures. But a voice yells from the throng, a cluster of older ladies suspect the big old church near their pit-stop might be FAMOUS so they are demanding pictures be taken quickly before they must go. He takes one last drag on the cigarette, spits, and rejoins the collective. A vacation is not about relaxing or having a good time, it's about getting the most points via photos to prove you were at famous destinations. Spending any time enjoying those destination though is time that could be spent getting to the next one for more points.

These are pretty much the only two types I see disgorging from tour buses here :(

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Baronjutter posted:

-Cluster of older auties with huge visors, always over-dressed, always in a dense cluster. The cluster will move at a glacial pace until an important doorway is spotted, at which there will be a mad dash to get through it first in order to block the door for everyone else. Points are scored by how well they can block the doorway while pretending not to notice anyone else trying to get through.

-Middle aged dude with a lot of camera equipment who walks away from the bus during a break for a smoke. This isn't a scheduled stop or official FAMOUS destination so he's not scrambling to take photos or be first in line for anything. For a few brief moments he's alone, tranquility washes over him. Perhaps this is what a vacation is about, feeling chill and relaxed? I see this man, I want to rescue him, I want to take him away from this tour bus and show him all the most peaceful and beautiful places my region has to offer, none of which are on the tours or brochures. But a voice yells from the throng, a cluster of older ladies suspect the big old church near their pit-stop might be FAMOUS so they are demanding pictures be taken quickly before they must go. He takes one last drag on the cigarette, spits, and rejoins the collective. A vacation is not about relaxing or having a good time, it's about getting the most points via photos to prove you were at famous destinations. Spending any time enjoying those destination though is time that could be spent getting to the next one for more points.

These are pretty much the only two types I see disgorging from tour buses here :(

:(

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
First time I saw a Chinese tour bus group taking off from a rest stop I didn't think anything of it. . . until I went into the restroom and there was literally a cm of piss covering the floor. Those poor Tims employees. It wasn't even one of the bathrooms with the drain in the middle of the room. Every drop of piss would have had to have been mopped up. :piss: :suicide:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
The smell of moldy rice cooker is literally the worst smell I've ever smelled.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/matthewwalsh91/status/1005830710408515584?s=19

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
china rules and will eclipse the us in the coming decade

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

their sparrows will blot out the sun

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Don't forget calling locals foreigners.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So I’m at a guangzhou lighting expo and I see quite a few chaoshan girl types running around trying to get new customers and hustling hard while the old dudes just sit in a corner and pick their noses.

Lighting is more focused on assembly and labor management so it’s a different kind of manufacturing crowd here

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
you guys forgot the classic
-Old aunty visting a hot country with in the middle of summer, only wearing long, heavy clothing. dawdles around aimlessly because they are dangerously close to a heatstroke, preferably down to middle of the path to block as many people as possible. forms a perfect shield wall of sun umbrellas that would have the romans salivating, to block the view for everyone behind you.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Can we also do the door jumpers?

They travel in a pack and rush towards the train and jump in, leaving some of their friends behind and yell at the closed doors like a horror moving, abandoning their friends. They don’t know how to meet up ever again and panic instead of just waiting for the next group at the next stop.

Phones come out and a lot shouting happens

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

china rules and will eclipse the us in the coming decade

Snayke, is that you?

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Hong Kong localist leader Edward Leung got sentenced to 6 years in jail for participating in the Mong Kok riots, which if you recall, were about traditional street hawkers having their wares confiscated during the Chinese New Year. For perspective, during the actual 1967 riots, a man who was found to be carrying two live grenades from over the border was only sentenced to 4 years.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Imperialist Dog posted:

Hong Kong localist leader Edward Leung got sentenced to 6 years in jail for participating in the Mong Kok riots, which if you recall, were about traditional street hawkers having their wares confiscated during the Chinese New Year. For perspective, during the actual 1967 riots, a man who was found to be carrying two live grenades from over the border was only sentenced to 4 years.

That's just inflation.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Massive anti Chinese demonstrations in Vietnam. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-44428971

quote:

Demonstrators clashed with police in Vietnam in protests against plans for new economic zones that some fear will be dominated by Chinese investors.

Police reportedly detained more than a dozen people in the capital Hanoi and halted demonstrations in other cities.

Some carried anti-China banners, including one reading: "No leasing land to China even for one day."

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Baronjutter posted:

I'm sure this was a video that was posted in this very thread a few months ago. An older guy was with family in Italy and/or France on a Chinese Tour Bus. They went to a famous palace/castle and this guy wandered off and found a pond and realized he could just chill there and watch the ducks. The idea of this washed over him and you could literally see the cogs turning in his head as he realized he could just SIT and RELAX for however long he wanted - just in time to get dragged back to the bus.

edit: a word :downs:

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 11, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What were they drugging him with?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm sure this was a video that was posted in this very thread a few months ago. An older guy was with family in Italy and/or France on a Chinese Tour Bus. They went to a famous palace/castle and this guy wandered off and found a pond and realized he could just chill there and watch the ducks. The idea of this washed over him and you could literally see the cogs turning in his head as he realized he could just SIT and RELAX for however long he wanted - just in time to get dragged back to the bus.

edit: a word :downs:

It might have been the same doc, but there was a guy who was in the Louvre and all of a sudden (like on the second last day of his vacation) he realized that he didn't see one sight with his own eyes, and just basically did a speed-run of Europe, trying to collect as many famous landmark photos as possible. The guy just stood there and admired the beautiful works of art and looked sort of serene/sad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was at a big amazing provincial park that has a big ugly parking lot by the highway. Anything worth seeing, anything that makes the park "famous" is stuff you need to walk away from the parking lot to see and even to do a quick highlights tour should take a few hours minimum. But big tour buses full of chinese tourists will come along, park for maybe an hour, then carry on to the next famous attraction. There's a couple lovely photo-ops within 20 meters or so of the parking lot and of course the big main sign the prove you were there. Everyone just rushes to get photos in front of the sign, destroy the washroom, illegally pick flowers or just grab bits of nature that aren't nailed down, then shuffle off back to the tour bus.

I'd get so happy when I'd see any of them that decided to spend that hour walking maybe just 20 min away from the parking lot and taking in some waterfalls and nature. The ones that are clearly soaking it all in rather than trying to score tourism points. A lot of it is the fault of the tours too, they don't stop anywhere long enough and no one wants to go get lost and miss the bus so they all just stay in the park parking lots. But the tours are just offering what the market demands, a quick whistle-stop tour designed for getting as many photo-ops as cheaply and quickly as possible.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Goldstream? Lucky the salmon aren't there this time of year.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
so butthurt

https://twitter.com/billbirtles/status/1006373266435403777

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

To be fair, the whole tourism points thing has been pretty hefty with our Gluten-frees* since at least the turn of the tens.

*My apologies to anyone who actually has Coeliac Disease, you ain't included in that

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 12, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

To be fair, the whole tourism points thing has been pretty hefty with our Gluten-frees* since at least the turn of the tens.

*My apologies to anyone who actually has Celiac Disease, you ain't included in that

Gluten-frees?

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 12, 2018

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The sort of fellows that go nuts for Gluten-free options despite not actually possessing Coeliac disease or any form of gluten intolerance. I've discovered a rather depressing correlation with that and people who go on overseas trips for what is essentially the right to brag that they went there.

"So you took selfies with monuments in the background, cool. But what did you do?"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Gluten-free is only a thing because of the massive corn industry.

Its a godsend for people with that disease though I bet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
diabuddies like me also didn’t hate it because it had furious sex with the low carb fad and made breadless options way more common

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Master's Thesis presentation time. A Chinese student is doing his thesis on how to localize western websites so they appeal better to the Chinese(*). He promises concrete suggestions and actionable points, but offers 30 minutes of Wikipedia definitions for various terms he picked out from some other guy's book.

During the presentation the other Chinese students are sagely nodding along like they're listening to Einstein explaining the theory of relativity, while I'm getting more and more bewildered (the non-me, non-Chinese students have long since stopped coming to these seminar sessions) as I have no loving earthly idea of what he's talking about, much less what his loving MASTER'S THESIS is supposed to offer to the world.

At the end of the session there's time for questions and comments. I asked him if he was planning on including tips for avoiding political problems in website design. He didn't understand and asked me to clarify my question, so I mentioned for instance websites offering Taiwan as a choice of country. Deathly silence, all the Chinese students (except one guy who didn't look up from his phone once after sitting down in class and probably didn't notice anything) staring at me with fire engine red faces. My question got pointedly ignored, and much face was probably lost by someone.

(* = I've noticed that practically all Chinese students do their thesis on some topic directly related to China. Web stores in China, Chinese law, changing some Western thing so it appeals more to the Chinese etc.)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

How have every non-chinese student not quit the program immediately after the first of these sessions? I mean why continue when you realise your degree is being devalued?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Der Shovel posted:

Master's Thesis presentation time. A Chinese student is doing his thesis on how to localize western websites so they appeal better to the Chinese(*). He promises concrete suggestions and actionable points, but offers 30 minutes of Wikipedia definitions for various terms he picked out from some other guy's book.

During the presentation the other Chinese students are sagely nodding along like they're listening to Einstein explaining the theory of relativity, while I'm getting more and more bewildered (the non-me, non-Chinese students have long since stopped coming to these seminar sessions) as I have no loving earthly idea of what he's talking about, much less what his loving MASTER'S THESIS is supposed to offer to the world.

At the end of the session there's time for questions and comments. I asked him if he was planning on including tips for avoiding political problems in website design. He didn't understand and asked me to clarify my question, so I mentioned for instance websites offering Taiwan as a choice of country. Deathly silence, all the Chinese students (except one guy who didn't look up from his phone once after sitting down in class and probably didn't notice anything) staring at me with fire engine red faces. My question got pointedly ignored, and much face was probably lost by someone.

(* = I've noticed that practically all Chinese students do their thesis on some topic directly related to China. Web stores in China, Chinese law, changing some Western thing so it appeals more to the Chinese etc.)

:laffo: the world is hosed

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Boiled Water posted:

How have every non-chinese student not quit the program immediately after the first of these sessions? I mean why continue when you realise your degree is being devalued?

Well, seemingly 99% of these Chinese students just gently caress off back to China the second they graduate so it's not really a problem. The program itself is decent and the non-Chinese students generally seem to be OK, and I have to say that some of the Chinese students are smart and capable as well, and turn out work of expected quality.

E: and the poo poo ones that do graduate spend a lot of time with their instructors having their thesis wrangled into something resembling a proper academic work, which can then be passed with the lowest possible grade. I couldn't find any outrageously bad works in the school's catalogue of accepted theses, so I guess the comedy examples just never graduate and only get as far as the thesis seminar.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I hooked up with a Chinese dude here in Berlin the other day who is majoring in Business and as far as I can tell he uses his expertise to do three (3) things:

1. Defend every Chinese company on the planet, especially Tencent
2. poo poo all over every Korean and especially Japanese company ("Nintendo & Sony have done nothing for gaming, Tencent did it all")
3. Prepare to found his own company to, quote, "Put China on the map when it comes to drone technology and drinking water solutions". I asked if his company was going to do both or if it was going to be two different companies but he never really clarified. Maybe flying water fountains.

edit: I forgot to mention, his thesis is about how to make WeWork style office rental places more palatable to Chinese mainlanders. So yeah, the theory works.

• Locked thread