Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

wormil posted:

I mostly drink whiskey and am out of touch with other liquor brands. Going to do Margaritas again this weekend. In the past I used to buy 1800 but my buddy didn't want that so we got Cabo Wabo which I do like but if I can save a few bucks that would good. So basically what are some good tequilas in that price range. Or maybe 1800 is the best bargain tequila? I saw that Jose Cuervo has some agave. Lots of other brands too.

I like Espolon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Klauser posted:

I like Espolon

Agreed here, Espolon is better than it's price point, I think. And the Dia de los Muertos label is awesome.

That's generally a pretty friendly price range though. Hornitos, Milagro, Cazadores, and Corralejo are all pretty reasonable and make good margaritas. I'd go Espolon though.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I can second Espolon, Lunazul, and Corralejo. I recall liking Rudo and Tecnico, but I tried them like four years ago, so it's pretty fuzzy.

Lunazul's smoked blanco that I mentioned upthread would probably make a nice Margarita variant if you're looking to do something a little different.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I'll third Lunazul for a blanco (It's also delicious as a sipper/shooter besides mixing) and Espolon for a reposadso (Can't reccomend Lunazul reposado, had a weird taste last time I had it)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They were out of Espolon and the guys immediately recommended Lunazul so I got that.

Triple Sec: Last weekend I bought Patron Citonge and like it. Guys at the liquor store recommended DeKuyper Triple Sec for $8/bottle. But they had a couple things on sale that I want to ask about ...
La Belle Orange $17.95
DeKyuper 03 $16.95
Gran Gala $19 (not on sale)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

wormil posted:

Triple Sec: Last weekend I bought Patron Citonge and like it. Guys at the liquor store recommended DeKuyper Triple Sec for $8/bottle. But they had a couple things on sale that I want to ask about ...
La Belle Orange $17.95
DeKyuper 03 $16.95
Gran Gala $19 (not on sale)

I haven't tried either, but I've I've seen O3 and Gran Gala recommended (including in this thread, if I recall correctly) as decent substitutes for Cointreau and Grand Marnier.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
O3 is good; it's sweeter and less subtle than Cointreau. A very different product from DeKuyper's bottom-shelf line.

Gran Gala is good for its price point but not really a substitute for Gran Marnier if you really like Gran Marnier. I mean, it's a brandy-based orange liqueur, but a rather different flavour profile. All things considered, if I'm going to replace GM with something else I'm fond of Tuaca.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Those three are all they have in the mid-price point. The Patron, Cointreau, and Gran Marnier are all $35-ish. So the choices are under $10, $20, or $35+. I'll probably try the 03. I've never bought any liquor for under $10 and been happy with it. The one exception might be Ancient Ancient Age, back when you could buy it that cheap.

I just did a side by side taste test on the Lunazul and Cabo Wabo. The latter is slightly sweeter, more refined, cleaner aftertaste. The Lunazul tastes similar upfront but has a slightly bitter aftertaste but I can add a bit of agave syrup to the shaker and take that out. They smell the same. I'm happy with it. It's better than I expected for under $20. Guys at the store said all the local restaurants use Lunazul in their margaritas.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is Punch reading this thread :tinfoil:

In Search of the Ultimate Margarita

tl;dr version:

2nd and 3rd place:

2 oz tequila (El Tesoro Blanco or Siete Leguas Blanco, respectively)
1 oz Cointreau
.75 oz lime juice
Shake/strain/rocks, salt rim

1st place:

2 oz Pueblo Viejo Blanco
.25 oz Key lime juice
.25 oz lime juice
.5 oz light agave nectar
Shake and pour into salt-rimmed rocks glass, shaker ice and all

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
edit.

The 03 is very sweet and dulls the slight bitterness in Lunazul so they work well together. The 03 tastes like orange syrup with white spirit. It's not a bad flavor but I prefer the Patron. Guy at the store recommended something called Harlequin, which I didn't see before, said it's the most common one they sell to restaurants. They also had Bauchant Orange Liqueur which I missed yesterday. Might try one of those next time.

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 25, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m in NYC through Monday, staying on the Upper East Side. Any must-visit spots?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Toast Museum posted:

1st place:

2 oz Pueblo Viejo Blanco
.25 oz Key lime juice
.25 oz lime juice
.5 oz light agave nectar
Shake and pour into salt-rimmed rocks glass, shaker ice and all

I'm going to put triple sec in my margaritas, I will never stop putting triple sec in my margaritas, and Alton Brown can eat my rear end until I fart orange bitters.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Repping punch at my wedding. Only a month to go!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
That’s gonna be awesome. The only thing I’ll say, and it probably doesn’t matter but just in case, the sugar won’t add as much volume as you’ve calculated. In my experience making simple syrup you yield about 1.5x and not double. So if you use 100oz water and 100oz sugar you’ll end up with about 150oz simple syrup.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
While we're in tequila and orange liqueur chat, what are peoples thoughts on Agavero (Orange)?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

angor posted:

Repping punch at my wedding. Only a month to go!

Congratulations! And double congratulations for mixing up Admiral Russell's for your wedding! One of the things I'm anticipating most for when I get married is the opportunity to make the biggest bowl of punch I've ever made. I've looked into using a tiled fountain as a bowl, because it's pretty hard to find actual bowls larger than 5 gallons.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The Maestro posted:

That’s gonna be awesome. The only thing I’ll say, and it probably doesn’t matter but just in case, the sugar won’t add as much volume as you’ve calculated. In my experience making simple syrup you yield about 1.5x and not double. So if you use 100oz water and 100oz sugar you’ll end up with about 150oz simple syrup.

Will absolutely keep that in mind. That was more of a lazy (SUM) in Excel :)

Kenning posted:

Congratulations! And double congratulations for mixing up Admiral Russell's for your wedding! One of the things I'm anticipating most for when I get married is the opportunity to make the biggest bowl of punch I've ever made. I've looked into using a tiled fountain as a bowl, because it's pretty hard to find actual bowls larger than 5 gallons.

With a mechanical wind-up boy-in-a-rowboat, I hope!

We're actually doing two punches, the other being Limmer's as you suggested. Going through the ingredients, is Limmer's roughly 2/3 the ABV of the Admiral Russell's?

Really struggling with a non-alcoholic punch. We did a bunch of tests with hibiscus/ginger/lemongrass and while they were tasty, they didn't feel special. Might just end up making a massive batch of horchata :shrug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m in NYC through Monday, staying on the Upper East Side. Any must-visit spots?
I ended up visiting Dead Rabbit and Employees Only which both have won best cocktail bar in the world, plus Aviary, Attaboy, Bar Goto, Dante, Seamstress and a few others.

Employees Only had a really fun crowd and Seamstress has a perfect neighborhood spot vibe.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay cocktail thread, I'm thinking of putting together a punch for a party in July. I'm going to be juicing some watermelons to use in place of the water/some of the sugar, but I can't quite decide on a) the spirit and b) the additional twist that will make it all sing. For spirits I'm thinking:

1) Gin
2) White Spanish-style rum with a dollop of J. Wray for funk
3) Blanco tequila, potentially with a bit of del Maguey Vida for smoke

For the additional twist I'm thinking

1) Mint or basil
2) Chartreuse
3) Vanilla
4) Rose water

Any thoughts? I'm planning on the usual oleo-saccharum with lemon treatment. Depending on the sweetness/flavor strength of the watermelon juice I could possibly also use some soda water. I'm gonna run trials over the next couple weeks, but if anyone's got specific experience it'd be greatly appreciated.

angor posted:

Will absolutely keep that in mind. That was more of a lazy (SUM) in Excel :)

With a mechanical wind-up boy-in-a-rowboat, I hope!

We're actually doing two punches, the other being Limmer's as you suggested. Going through the ingredients, is Limmer's roughly 2/3 the ABV of the Admiral Russell's?

Really struggling with a non-alcoholic punch. We did a bunch of tests with hibiscus/ginger/lemongrass and while they were tasty, they didn't feel special. Might just end up making a massive batch of horchata :shrug:

Yep, they're very different in terms of potency. For a non-alcoholic punch you might try something with fresh watermelon juice, lemon, and basil.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Watermelon and Green Chartreuse are crazy together, absolutely do that. I'd probably go for option 2 for the spirit base. Mint would be cool too. Hell, throw the rosewater in there too. I'd probably get even weirder and do a lemon-lime oleo saccharum since watermelon, lime, rum and Green Chartreuse all love each other so much.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Think I should incorporate the mint as part of the oleo-saccharum? I can't quite think of the best way to get it in there without buying an iSi whipper and infusing the rum, which I don't think I'm going to be able to work out logistically before the event.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Blanch the mint and blend the leaves with your finished syrup. Tastes great and looks green even a week or two later.

Also for non-alcoholic, one of the more popular ones I’ve made is grenadine, cucumber, mint, lemon, and soda. Delicious, refreshing, and pretty.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Kenning posted:

For the additional twist I'm thinking

Ango

and/or

Vanilla & Banana

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Gin, and cucumber. I had a watermelon juice, gin, and cucumber cocktail last summer that was almost too refreshing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, gently caress, I might need to trial multiple of these. These all sound good as gently caress.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

slut chan posted:

Gin, and cucumber. I had a watermelon juice, gin, and cucumber cocktail last summer that was almost too refreshing.

gently caress

How much cucumber, do you think, to get that flavor infused into the drink? That sounds good as heck

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

gently caress

How much cucumber, do you think, to get that flavor infused into the drink? That sounds good as heck

I haven't the foggiest. I think my host was actually using a watermelon cucumber juice from the produce section of Central Market (local Whole Foods competitor).

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Watermelon, mint, lime, and gin are a good combo. Maybe not the most exciting, but it's good?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Aperol would be nice too. Not as complex as chartreuse or anything, but nice.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I guess of we're talking watermelon and lime and gin, I'll offer up aloe as a solid compliment

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Gin, clarified watermelon juice, Green Chartreuse, Blanc Vermouth and mint all go together very well. The problem I've had was getting the flavors to stand out because the watermelon diluted it so much. Seems like in a punch that dilution could be perfect though. If you can, consider using agar agar clarification on the juice.It makes a big difference in mouth feel and keeps the drink from becoming a muddy pink color.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
yeah watermelon is like the easiest juice to agar clarify in my experience and also one also has some really cool distinctive results

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Anyone here ever gently caress around with a rhubarb shrub or syrup? We got a bunch of INSANELY bomb north GA rhubarb in at my restaurant and I'd love to use some at the bar. Challenging myself to not use strawberry, too -- I know that's the classic pairing but that seems too easy and this stuff stands well enough on its own and I'd like to highlight it

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
We're doing a rhubarb syrup right now. Poached rhubarb, blended with sumac and corriander. Paired with grilled apricot vodka, a touch of aperol, lemon and peychauds

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay at long last I picked up some rose's lime and made a gimlet, all proper like.

Yeah it's good. What ratio do y'all use? 2:2/3? 2:3/4? How do you measure third and quarter ounces, anyway, all my jiggers are one and one half, no quarters. I just eyeballed "more than half an ounce" and called it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

poop dood posted:

Watermelon and Green Chartreuse are crazy together, absolutely do that. I'd probably go for option 2 for the spirit base. Mint would be cool too. Hell, throw the rosewater in there too. I'd probably get even weirder and do a lemon-lime oleo saccharum since watermelon, lime, rum and Green Chartreuse all love each other so much.

Agree on doing both lemon and lime. Last time I peeled lime (tiki bitters) I felt around at the grocery store for the firmest ones before buying, paid off I think.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Things that I have put together that I really liked:
Whiskey (Bourbon), Beet Juice, Honey Syrup, Lemon, Carrot, Ginger
I juiced/strained the carrot and ginger, then used a siphon and some egg whites to make what turned out to be a pretty dense foam (I might go with an immersion blender next time) and used it to top the mixture I shook up.

Definitely gonna try chartreuse and watermelon together soon, any suggestion on the type of rum? spanish, puerto rican, maybe even agricole?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I bet Agricole would be cool in a Last Word riff - sub watermelon juice for luxardo but make everything else the same

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
^That sounds fantastic. Do that. A highball of Chartreuse, watermelon juice, lemon/lime and soda would be great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hey Cocktail Thread - I need help.

tl;dr version: I'm a distiller, and I make an awesome gin that uses a clean white rum as a base spirit instead of grain neutral spirits. I had originally designed it as a "sipping gin" that can be enjoyed neat, but as a byproduct of the rum base, we've discovered that it makes incredible Tiki cocktails as well.

So, I need more tiki, or tiki inspired cocktails to try, so I can start telling bartenders what to make this summer using my gin. As a note, the gin not a "dry" gin, and is somewhere between a Genever and New American style. It's not as sweet and cloying as an Old Tom gin, but it certainly retains a lot of the residual cane aroma from the rum base. The Juniper is sweet and fruity, and only slightly evergreen. The herb set is lemongrass, lemon balm, tulsi kapoor, and lemon peel, with florals like calendula and chamomile rounding out the set.

Ones I've tried so far:

- Planter's Punch. I tried a variant of planter's punch that was a crowd pleaser around the office. Went down all too smoothly and was honestly a little dangerous.
- Singapore Sling. Similar to the punch, but a little drier and more on the sour spectrum rather than the sweet. It was still enjoyed greatly and was refreshing.
- Rum Swizzle. Def. on the sweeter and slightly heavier side, but the addition of the herb set mean that it had that instead of the Angostura. I tried it both ways, (with and without Angostura) and it's delightful with either.
- An un-named concoction that's 2oz Gin, 1.5oz Cointreau, a dash of orange bitters, and garnished with a orange twist. Not sure what it should be called, but it's good.

Ones that will be tried in the next 24 hours:

-A Mai Tai
-A Royal Hawaiian

If there are others that I should be trying, please let me know here. I have orgeat syrup on hand, but finding Falernum in Vermont is like hunting for the grail, so that might have to wait for next week and I'll order some in.

Thanks in advance!