Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I haven't played world yet but I hear mhxx has waaay more content and variety

For someone like me who is used to the older clunkier MH, mhxx seems like the superior choice given its portability. Course I'd also pick up world if they released it on switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im gonna play mh on switch
my first mh game

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Junkie Disease posted:

See when people rob a store they sell it at goodwill. This guy just assumed target sells to goodwill.

but goodwill doesn't give you money for anything im so confused

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

goferchan posted:

Just picked up Monster Hunter World and holy poo poo..... I don't wanna dump on anyone excited for XX getting a western release on Switch but I can't imagine ever wanting to play the old-style MH games again. I was considering getting XX for my Switch fix but I don't think I could ever go back to it now. Major bummer Capcom couldn't make World work on the Switch.

The same core gameplay is still similar enough enough for me to go back to.

The QoL stuff is gonna be missed, but I'll manage.

The Monhun team is smart instead of radically changing the gameplay they took out the barrier of entry that would keep most people away. World is Capcom's best attempt at making one of their IPs appeal to the West.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah the QoL changes in World finally took Monhun from a franchise that I kind of liked and would play for maybe 20 hours a game tops to something I plunked 300+ hours into so yeah I'm really not at all hyped to go backwards to XX. I really just want to see more updates on World at E3!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

eonwe posted:

Hirezs only good game was Smite
Tribes Ascend was occasionally good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

ya, too bad about the post release support

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Tax write-off

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

goferchan posted:

Just picked up Monster Hunter World and holy poo poo..... I don't wanna dump on anyone excited for XX getting a western release on Switch but I can't imagine ever wanting to play the old-style MH games again. I was considering getting XX for my Switch fix but I don't think I could ever go back to it now. Major bummer Capcom couldn't make World work on the Switch.

This was my reaction to the Generations(?) Ultimate coming to Switch. I'd wanted to get in to MH for awhile but never wanted to deal wth it on handheld. After putting 100+ hours in to MHW I can't imagine trying to play the pre-World games without all the QoL stuff World added.

I hope Capcom announces a release date for MHW on PC and that it'll be a fully supported port that you can run at 1440p or 2160p and at 60+ fps.

e: I hope they do make a MH for Switch that uses at least some of the QoL stuff from World. I know the Switch can't simulate the levels in World due to lack of power and such, but cutting back on wildlife stuff to have a single map and all would still be fine. World's also going to still have another dozen or so monsters added over the next year(ish) if the older leak on Reddit is true. IIRC, it has been so far.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 10, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've seen the Labo displays at Target, they don't really take up a lot of room. They wouldn't dump them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Yeah the QoL changes in World finally took Monhun from a franchise that I kind of liked and would play for maybe 20 hours a game tops to something I plunked 300+ hours into so yeah I'm really not at all hyped to go backwards to XX. I really just want to see more updates on World at E3!

Yeah, same. The QoL changes were things Ive been wanting for years and why i always bounced off the franchise so like hell im going backwards

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

For someone like me who is used to the older clunkier MH, mhxx seems like the superior choice given its portability. Course I'd also pick up world if they released it on switch

Naturally. MHXX has over a hundred monsters, several of them ported all the way from the old PS2 games while MHW had to redesign everything from the ground up with new, non-PS2 models and stuff so they have way fewer. They did a tremendous job though, and World is a huge step forward and the first truly modern monhun. XX/Generations Ultimate is literally a "best of" of all the previous Monsters Hunters.

eonwe posted:

im gonna play mh on switch
my first mh game
you're in for a wild ride! Please make sure to post in our monhun thread, it's not an easy game to get into by yourself and everyone is very nice and helpful :3:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

MHXX is built on top of a billion old MH games so it can recycle a shitton of content from the old games. World doesn't have that luxury so it's a lot more content limited.

Count me among the people who can never go back to the old games after World though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I will do the thing

you're such a good pal YC

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

eonwe posted:

I will do the thing

you're such a good pal YC

Some of your BF buddies are big into monhun also

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lets all do the thing then

i can play battlefield and monhun at the same time

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Your Computer posted:

World is amazing but it doesn't even run well on the PS4, there's no way they could make it work on the Switch.

Also XX is a fantastic game as well and imo the best of the pre-World monhuns. Case in point: XX lets you play as a cat, World doesn't :catbert:

Running pretty great on my pro. What's wrong with it on your ps4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

homeless snail posted:

One of my proudest gaming moments is lobbing a Beowulf shell halfway across the map for a blind shot at a stolen flag (the flag-carrier was skirting the edge of Temple Ruins), and nailing the guy right in the head. He even said afterwards he'd wondered what the sound of the shell was right before it got him :gibs: :allears:.

I miss Tribes Ascend.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tatsuta Age posted:

it's an amateur PS4 and not a pro

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

It's almost like you have a more powerful version of the ps4

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

goferchan posted:

World doesn't have Prowler mode. :colbert: I suppose it's easier for me because I haven't played World yet. I don't have a PS4 so I have to wait for PC release... as it is Gen Ultimate looks SO loving BONKERS that I might even wait awhile to get World. Yeah yeah, quality of life stuff and all that. I'll be too busy punching what, over a hundred monsters? in the face. When World gets Prowler mode, we'll talk.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KingSlime posted:

Yeah the writing was on the cheap cardboard walls as soon as they announced it. A midly amusing but ultimately forgotten nintendo gimmick. I literally haven't heard a peep about it ever since I saw the Giant Bomb video on it. Not even in nerd forums like these. I know some you want to be skeptical but..it's cardboard my dudes. Nobody wants to play with cardboard lol

I can see how some kids might maaaaybe enjoy it under the right circumstances (possibly) but its lasting appeal is non existent and a lot less kids like to "tinker around" than we'd like to believe. Hey, kids are people too! And people are lazy!

Anyways I've been having a real good time with necrodancer. Holy poo poo is it hard though, I'm barely starting to not suck and I've been hammering my head against zone 2 for a few days now

they just announced a fourth(?) theatrical movie based off of Legos but ok sure kids just don't like building things

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

KingSlime posted:

Yeah the writing was on the cheap cardboard walls as soon as they announced it. A midly amusing but ultimately forgotten nintendo gimmick. I literally haven't heard a peep about it ever since I saw the Giant Bomb video on it. Not even in nerd forums like these. I know some you want to be skeptical but..it's cardboard my dudes. Nobody wants to play with cardboard lol

I can see how some kids might maaaaybe enjoy it under the right circumstances (possibly) but its lasting appeal is non existent and a lot less kids like to "tinker around" than we'd like to believe. Hey, kids are people too! And people...

Cynical old forums poster and notable child expert, KingSlime.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Theft profit by tax write-off.

Edit: got beat

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1005850493418070016?s=19

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Normally I'd have problems with pre-orders, but if you're stupid enough to be going to E3 post-debauchery crackdown (i.e., after 2006), than I have no problem with idiots throwing away their money to reserve a spot in a two hour line to play three minutes of a demo of Smash.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I hope we get a Smash Bros global test this summer. :pray:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pyswagoras posted:

Theft profit by tax write-off.

Edit: got beat

man imagine how much labo you have to steal to donate enough to goodwill to actually be able to do that

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do the tickets cost money?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Housh posted:

That sounds like a big download

I guess if it's just one stage and song and a handful of characters we know are returning, like Palutina

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The Bloop posted:

That sounds like a big download

I guess if it's just one stage and song and a handful of characters we know are returning, like Palutina
Yeah. 1 stage, 1 song, 4 characters. Can't see that being bigger than the Arms test.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I had zero problems running it on my PC

it was really unoptimised (at least on the amd card i was using at the time) and the settings did literally nothing to affect performance at all. maybe they patched that out idk, although i only have access to the mac version at the moment (which runs like poo poo, but due to apple's steadfast refusal to update their opengl implementation most mac games will run worse than windows equivalent so i can't really judge accurately)

prob a lot of room for optimisation tho and it's not as if the nature of the game precludes a switch port. depends on how well you can scale down unity i guess

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do the tickets cost money?
I doubt it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I went to E3 once and it was $500 and that was several years ago, it's probably a lot more now

Unless you mean tickets for just smash

In case anyone's wondering why I paid that, I had a friend who was a QA lead on Uncharted 3 at the time and he told me and another friend who were in Vegas at the time "oh yeah if you come out here I can get you in for free with an industry pass" and then we flew out there and at the door they were like "no we don't do that anymore you have to pay $500" lol

So anyway we just decided since we already flew out we might as well pay the money and do it once

I just wanted to explain because someone is gonna ask why I'd pay $500 to go to E3 I assume. I won't pay that again, haha

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Housh posted:

The demo ready for download starting now! Hi its me bill trinen

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Stefan Prodan posted:

I went to E3 once and it was $500 and that was several years ago, it's probably a lot more now

Unless you mean tickets for just smash

In case anyone's wondering why I paid that, I had a friend who was a QA lead on Uncharted 3 at the time and he told me and another friend who were in Vegas at the time "oh yeah if you come out here I can get you in for free with an industry pass" and then we flew out there and at the door they were like "no we don't do that anymore you have to pay $500" lol

So anyway we just decided since we already flew out we might as well pay the money and do it once

I just wanted to explain because someone is gonna ask why I'd pay $500 to go to E3 I assume. I won't pay that again, haha

Hopefully you gave him one hell of a noogie for that

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hell yes datamine the gently caress outta that global test

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Policenaut posted:

Hell yes datamine the gently caress outta that global test

I'm surprised they haven't done much about dataminers yet. Not like they can do anything, but more along the lines of putting in fake stuff or jokes. Datamining is going to keep happening might as well have fun with it and gently caress with some people.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I wish Mario Tennis was out sooner. That demo impressed me and the full game is gonna be great I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I was a 16 year old kid who ran a THPS modding subsite that was hosted on PlanetTonyHawk and I got approved for a media pass to E3 in 2001.

• Locked thread