Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FutureCop posted:

I feel like Destiny's weapon system is redundant in a few confusing ways regarding the kinetic primary/energy secondary.

So you have basic enemies with a health bar and elite enemies which have a shield in addition to their normal health. Standard kinetic damage sucks at shields, but energy damage is super effective at taking down shields, so you can switch to your energy for the shielded opponents and stick to your kinetic primary for the normal enemies. Except, energy also works just fine for health, so technically, you don't ever have a major reason to use your kinetic.

So, since energy works fine in all cases, the game manufactured a reason for you to switch instead: ammo drops. Kills with energy drop kinetic ammo, kills with kinetic drop energy ammo. Ok, so now you're forced to switch in order to keep them both stocked up, but it's still slightly random, leading to confusion on whether this ammo drop system exists in the first place, and it feels like you're being punished when it might feel more natural to just have kinetic do more damage to health?

Then you get into the elements and matching your energy weapon element with the enemy's shield element. For example, if the enemy has an arc shield and you break it with an arc energy weapon, you get a nice bonus in the form of an explosion. That's nice, except there is really no way to prepare for this or react to this. A mission can contain enemies with any of the three different elemental shields, and you can only have one energy weapon, and therefore one element to match with. So, while you might want to take advantage of matching elements with skillful play, you can only really match one at random based on what you initially equipped. (and while you might think you can supplement it with power weapon or your subclass abilities, those are beset with rare drops and high cooldowns).

If you switch your energy weapon to another one in your inventory mid-fight to try to match elements (which is incredibly clunky to do), the game punishes you by halving your ammo pool for every switch. Not only that, but some missions lock your loadout so you can't switch even if you wanted to. So does the game want me to match or not?

This issue can be further exacerbated by mission modifiers that can increase/reduce certain element's effectiveness, making you want to equip a certain element but whether that's good for the enemy shields is up in the air. Ironically, there's even one mission modifier to match elements or suffer incredibly low damage. How am I supposed to match elements if my loadout is locked, my ammo is being strangled, and I only have access to one reliable element?

Ironically, there's actually one exotic energy weapon in the entire game, Hard Light, that lets you switch your elemental ammo clip on-the-fly: surely that should be a standard feature for all energy weapons for skilled players to take advantage of! Why does a weapon need to be exotic to have a feature to engage with a system the game built in the first place?

That reads like a load of obtuse poo poo explicitly made to gently caress with the players and not in a fun way

Samuringa has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Samuringa posted:

That reads like a load of obtuse poo poo explicitly made to gently caress with the players and not in a fun way

Sounds like they looked at all those garbage "rock/paper/scissors with stats" mobile games, decided that's what people really crave in games these days, and figured out how to shoehorn it into a shooter at all costs.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

when your game is about collecting a variety of things it helps to have mechanical reasons for wanting a variety of things so you don't just stick with one good thing for the whole game

this applies to units in gacha mobile games and i presume it also applies to guns in destiny

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

It's insanely bad. Like they looked at Borderlands 2, with all of its many, many stupid choices, and said "yeah, we can do it worse."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

AoE attacks are a mechanic rendered immediately irrelevant by Chrono Trigger being so easy. And since this game pioneered the notion of NG+, but not the idea of NG+ being any harder like the original Zelda, you have to challenge yourself to make it harder.

What other games have mechanics that are redundant as soon as you play? Dark Souls 3 had weapon durability but since your weapons auto-repair at a bonfire, and most weapon's have wear down x4 times slower than Dark Souls 2, you will never ever break anything.

What's funny about this, is that armor (and I think weapons?) have unique textures that apply when broken. You will never see them because durability in Dark Souls 3 is so hosed it takes literal hours to break anything.

FutureCop posted:

I feel like Destiny's weapon system is redundant in a few confusing ways

Destiny 2 is a bad game.

Just to bitch about Destiny 2's weapons some more; in the first game Shotguns, Sniper Rifles and Fusion Rifles were "Special Weapons" - the category that got replaced by Energy Weapons. In PVP they were a one hit kill but incredibly specific in their usage. Snipers were long range and when you used them you couldn't really move around well or see what was going around you so it was super easy to sneak up on people to kill them. Shotguns had very short range so unless you were good at moving around the map, it was easy to just shoot down a guy rushing you. Fusion Rifles were mid-range and had a charge up time plus weird spreads you had to account for.

In Destiny 2 all three of those weapons were thrown into the Power Weapon slot. This has made them utterly redundant for PVE because outside of a few very specific and very broken weapons (the new shotgun from Escalation Protocol and Sleeper) you'll almost never want to pick one over something with sheer overwhelming damage potential like a Rocket Launcher. Even in PVP, the original flaws of snipers, shotguns and fusions all still exist meanwhile you can point a rocket launcher at almost any point, fire it and kill someone in the AOE explosion even if you don't score a direct hit. The only downside is that Bungie's crippled rocket launcher ammo about as much as they possibly can. But even then, unless you've gotten one of those few very, very good weapons. There's just no real reason to use anything else.

Also grenade launchers exist, as power weapons, but are generally just complete garbage outside of The Colony which is only good for PVP against bad players that don't know how to jump.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That's thankfully going to be fixed... in the next DLC.

I have no doubt in my mind it will not be patched if you don't buy it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Destiny 2 feels too lacking in depth to merit any play beyond its base campaign and some online features:

The biggest one is there's no fashion. The only thing that matters is your defence and recovery stat. Your character will have no personality or distinct look unless you grind a full set of armour that doesn't make you look like a nonce.

There are no builds. The skill-tree here makes Mass Effect 2 's look vast. You can choose between three subclasses, and of these you must choose a whopping four abilities. Bear in mind you start with the one subclass and no abilities to choose from.

They try to spice things up with side-missions on the map. They have voice-acting at all but... In the Witcher 3 or any good RPG whenever you take a quest it starts simple like kill a specific monster, and then there's a twist where it turns out the monster wasn't the real threat or the monster is simply misunderstood or something. In Destiny the only twist in the side-missions is that you think the mission is over, but it isn't. It's busy-work, heavily linear, and not any different to what the main campaign offers. Side-quests only work when they contrast the main course, like how Yakuza lets you take a break from busting heads with a spot of fishing or batting.

They clearly spent a buck on the story, given all the cinematics. Nothing happens though. Everyone but you loses their powers at the start and gets them back at the end, so you're back to square one. I don't think anyone dies except for some forgettable character voiced by someone who's over-qualified for this script.

If people want PvP, they should play any game that gives PvP upfront like Overwatch or Fortnite. If you want PvP in Destiny it's locked behind a tedious PvE grind. The PvP in the Souls game is the icing on the cake. The PvP in Destiny is Form B that is only given when you correctly fill out all 20 pages of Form A. Pretty every game does better by keeping the two modes mostly separate.

It's funny how offensive the real-world-money element is, because the rest of the game is the most bloodless, sexless, sterile product to be made that it is so inoffensive that it warps right right round to offending the senses with its blandness.

Does Warframe have dick jokes?

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Jun 9, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I feel like trying to have a heavy pvp element in a loot based game is a mistake. It's pretty much always a balancing nightmare and either the pve has to be crippled to support the pvp or vice versa.

Even worse now that everyone is trying to make an esport out of it too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I feel like trying to have a heavy pvp element in a loot based game is a mistake. It's pretty much always a balancing nightmare and either the pve has to be crippled to support the pvp or vice versa.

Even worse now that everyone is trying to make an esport out of it too.

Destiny 1 got around it by having all loot be almost entirely random, which kind of worked for PVP in a “HAIL SATAN, CHAOS REIGNS” kind of way. When 2 switched to standardized drops, it lost a lot since it was “get this gun and this gun, they’re the best ones”

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The thing they did with special weapons is really what made destiny 2 get boring for me fast. It’s hard to balance some guns in our garbage pvp, so just gently caress the rest of the game and put them in the category you never get to use because you don’t have ammo for them. These guns include FPS staples like shotguns and sniper rifles.

So your the weapons you actually get to use are always two generic all-rounders, where most of the time your energy weapon is the exact same as your kinetic weapon except it does 10% less damage and sounds even more like a toy. Gets old fast.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Also I wasn't dumb enough to buy the Destiny 2 dlc but from what I played of the base game it feels like the levelling systems have no noticable effect on gameplay.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Also I wasn't dumb enough to buy the Destiny 2 dlc but from what I played of the base game it feels like the levelling systems have no noticable effect on gameplay.

They don't. Even if you're stronger than the content you're playing, you get scaled down. You're never stronger than enemies.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think KOTOR 1 or 2 had a forced stealth level, but otherwise, yeah, stealth was 100 percent useless.

The jailbreak section in KotOR 1 was stealth depending on which character you picked (like Mission, for example). It rewarded you for that choice with a big chance that you would get a game breaking bug.

It was an amazing bug though. Apparently it happened if you still were still in stealth at the end of the section, but it could fix itself if one character had enough of the Awareness stat to break stealth. Rolls for this happened every 30 seconds or so, so EVENTUALLY it could work. People reported it could take hours.

...and that is why you have multiple saves.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mierenneuker posted:

The jailbreak section in KotOR 1 was stealth depending on which character you picked (like Mission, for example). It rewarded you for that choice with a big chance that you would get a game breaking bug.

It was an amazing bug though. Apparently it happened if you still were still in stealth at the end of the section, but it could fix itself if one character had enough of the Awareness stat to break stealth. Rolls for this happened every 30 seconds or so, so EVENTUALLY it could work. People reported it could take hours.

...and that is why you have multiple saves.

I love bugs like that, where technically the game is working as it should it just manifests in the absolute wrong way.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I think KotOR on the Xbox was the game that taught me to have 100 separate save files. It was even buggier than the PC port, and one of the bigger bugs would occur after a random space battle so that meant creating a new save every single time you were about to board your ship.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Digirat posted:

The thing they did with special weapons is really what made destiny 2 get boring for me fast. It’s hard to balance some guns in our garbage pvp, so just gently caress the rest of the game and put them in the category you never get to use because you don’t have ammo for them. These guns include FPS staples like shotguns and sniper rifles.

So your the weapons you actually get to use are always two generic all-rounders, where most of the time your energy weapon is the exact same as your kinetic weapon except it does 10% less damage and sounds even more like a toy. Gets old fast.

Yeah, you have this fancy future-magic setting that would theoretically allow for really exotic weapons and stuff. But in effect it's pretty much always "assault rifle + assault rifle + rocket launcher", because most of the time the other weapon types simply don't offer anything better. There's a handful of exotic weapons that try to be a bit more interesting, but even those often don't really offer any new real gameplay options. It's still pretty much just "point at enemy, hold left click until enemy dead". Whether it's a stream of bullets or an energy ray is not really much of a difference.

As for the PvP, it's like real bad. The time to kill is really rather long while your mobility is fairly limited, so really the best thing to do is to roll around with your whole team in a giant blob and hope to catch enemies alone as they respawn. Trying to outflank the enemy is basically useless, since even with the element of surprise you will basically always lose a 2v1, often getting melted down before you take down even one of them. Not that you're likely to even have the element of surprise in the first place, since everybody's got the next best thing to a maphack anyway. You'd think the various skills of the classes might be useful to break up these stalemates and bring in some dynamic, but for whatever reason those things got like minute-long cooldowns and are hardly ever relevant.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Does Warframe have dick jokes?

Rhino does have a mighty horn

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That's some Se7en bullshit

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, you have this fancy future-magic setting that would theoretically allow for really exotic weapons and stuff. But in effect it's pretty much always "assault rifle + assault rifle + rocket launcher", because most of the time the other weapon types simply don't offer anything better. There's a handful of exotic weapons that try to be a bit more interesting, but even those often don't really offer any new real gameplay options. It's still pretty much just "point at enemy, hold left click until enemy dead". Whether it's a stream of bullets or an energy ray is not really much of a difference.

As for the PvP, it's like real bad. The time to kill is really rather long while your mobility is fairly limited, so really the best thing to do is to roll around with your whole team in a giant blob and hope to catch enemies alone as they respawn. Trying to outflank the enemy is basically useless, since even with the element of surprise you will basically always lose a 2v1, often getting melted down before you take down even one of them. Not that you're likely to even have the element of surprise in the first place, since everybody's got the next best thing to a maphack anyway. You'd think the various skills of the classes might be useful to break up these stalemates and bring in some dynamic, but for whatever reason those things got like minute-long cooldowns and are hardly ever relevant.

Yeah, the TTK and fact you will always lose a 2v1 really hosed up the PvP for me. You have grenades, which should even the odds if you’re outnumbered, but they do so little damage that it won’t even discourage them from following you while you try to retreat. It’s dumb.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While I like that Digimon World Last Order is more transparent about it's systems, the original game definitely did a better job introducing itself - in Last Order you have a confusing tutorial fight against an overpowered foe, then an hour of cutscenes followed by mandatory Gym time to get up to rookie before you can explore. The original just plopped you down with a decent rookie, told you "Hey our town is turbo-hosed, can you help?" and set you loose, and you then had a tutorial fight with Agumon and in the first 10 minutes you already restored the item bank. The original had you flying out of the gates in comparison (well, before you hit a brick wall anyway).

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

FutureCop posted:

I feel like Destiny's weapon system is redundant in a few confusing ways regarding the kinetic primary/energy secondary.

So you have basic enemies with a health bar and elite enemies which have a shield in addition to their normal health. Standard kinetic damage sucks at shields, but energy damage is super effective at taking down shields, so you can switch to your energy for the shielded opponents and stick to your kinetic primary for the normal enemies. Except, energy also works just fine for health, so technically, you don't ever have a major reason to use your kinetic.

So, since energy works fine in all cases, the game manufactured a reason for you to switch instead: ammo drops. Kills with energy drop kinetic ammo, kills with kinetic drop energy ammo. Ok, so now you're forced to switch in order to keep them both stocked up, but it's still slightly random, leading to confusion on whether this ammo drop system exists in the first place, and it feels like you're being punished when it might feel more natural to just have kinetic do more damage to health?

Then you get into the elements and matching your energy weapon element with the enemy's shield element. For example, if the enemy has an arc shield and you break it with an arc energy weapon, you get a nice bonus in the form of an explosion. That's nice, except there is really no way to prepare for this or react to this. A mission can contain enemies with any of the three different elemental shields, and you can only have one energy weapon, and therefore one element to match with. So, while you might want to take advantage of matching elements with skillful play, you can only really match one at random based on what you initially equipped. (and while you might think you can supplement it with power weapon or your subclass abilities, those are beset with rare drops and high cooldowns).

If you switch your energy weapon to another one in your inventory mid-fight to try to match elements (which is incredibly clunky to do), the game punishes you by halving your ammo pool for every switch. Not only that, but some missions lock your loadout so you can't switch even if you wanted to. So does the game want me to match or not?

This issue can be further exacerbated by mission modifiers that can increase/reduce certain element's effectiveness, making you want to equip a certain element but whether that's good for the enemy shields is up in the air. Ironically, there's even one mission modifier to match elements or suffer incredibly low damage. How am I supposed to match elements if my loadout is locked, my ammo is being strangled, and I only have access to one reliable element?

Ironically, there's actually one exotic energy weapon in the entire game, Hard Light, that lets you switch your elemental ammo clip on-the-fly: surely that should be a standard feature for all energy weapons for skilled players to take advantage of! Why does a weapon need to be exotic to have a feature to engage with a system the game built in the first place?

Perestroika posted:

Why do people play this game? It sounds real loving bad.

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Jun 9, 2018

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Actually with the latest updates the PvP has swung the other way. Time to kill is stupid fast, at least with the most OP exotic weapons. Which, obviously, everyone uses. 2-3 burst kills from the best pulse rifles as soon as you round a corner, it's really really lame.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PubicMice posted:

I bought it because I loved destiny 1, stuck with it because I figured they’d iron out the issues like they did in that game... and before too long I just went and played The Division instead.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Im maybe halfway in and there hasn’t been a gross shower scene in Detroit yet and I’m disappointed that I can’t complain about it. Honestly surprised that there hasn’t been one with Kara and they actually hide the camera when they change clothes.

Real problem: The android in the menu is creepy as gently caress and on Friday she said, “great to start your weekend with Detroit!” And it was even more creepy cause they’re keeping track of what days you play... then one time when I kept reloading the game cause I wanted a better ending to the scene and she was like, “your save game is corrupted......................... oops, just kidding!”

(Ok this is pretty cool but it still creeps me the gently caress out, I do not like her)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Thin Privilege posted:

Im maybe halfway in and there hasn’t been a gross shower scene in Detroit yet and I’m disappointed that I can’t complain about it. Honestly surprised that there hasn’t been one with Kara and they actually hide the camera when they change clothes.

Real problem: The android in the menu is creepy as gently caress and on Friday she said, “great to start your weekend with Detroit!” And it was even more creepy cause they’re keeping track of what days you play... then one time when I kept reloading the game cause I wanted a better ending to the scene and she was like, “your save game is corrupted......................... oops, just kidding!”

(Ok this is pretty cool but it still creeps me the gently caress out, I do not like her)

i told her we werent friends and she was devastated

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

While I like that Digimon World Last Order is more transparent about it's systems, the original game definitely did a better job introducing itself - in Last Order you have a confusing tutorial fight against an overpowered foe, then an hour of cutscenes followed by mandatory Gym time to get up to rookie before you can explore. The original just plopped you down with a decent rookie, told you "Hey our town is turbo-hosed, can you help?" and set you loose, and you then had a tutorial fight with Agumon and in the first 10 minutes you already restored the item bank. The original had you flying out of the gates in comparison (well, before you hit a brick wall anyway).

The original Digimon World was an incomprehensible mess and I loved it.

PubicMice posted:

Because they spent $60-$100 dollars on a game that promised to be a sequel to a title a lot of people loved. It lived up to none of the promises the developers made during development. Like, literal outright lies have been a hilariously common problem with Bungie all through Destiny 2. A lot of people only came back to the DLC because they'd already purchased it and wanted to get their money's worth. A lot of people couldn't get refunds from bungie because by the time they realized how poo poo the game was, it was past the allotted refund time period.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

PubicMice posted:

Because it has loot.

The real bummer with Destiny is the actual feel of the shooting and movement work really well. Aside from the really floaty jumps with some classes. It’s just they can’t avoid putting a bad loot shooter to distract from all that.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

The real bummer with Destiny is the actual feel of the shooting and movement work really well. Aside from the really floaty jumps with some classes. It’s just they can’t avoid putting a bad loot shooter to distract from all that.
Pretty much this, it has a great feel most of the time, but just as the Halo series for me it is let down in other regards.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PubicMice posted:

Well fewer and fewer people play it every day and its reputation is terrible

The shooting feels nice in terms of hit effects but even that gets really hollow once you notice how absurd the bullet magnetism is and realize you barely have to aim. On PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_hGtZj_Fyo

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

Well fewer and fewer people play it every day and its reputation is terrible

The shooting feels nice in terms of hit effects but even that gets really hollow once you notice how absurd the bullet magnetism is and realize you barely have to aim. On PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_hGtZj_Fyo

That's really weird, I've had much closer-aimed stuff miss/not count as headshots.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

PubicMice posted:

Yeah, I'm in the middle of downloading it because I forgot to cancel my Humble Monthly so I guess I just own it now, and all these posts are making me want to cancel the download and forget about it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Destiny 1 was a really bungled game that actually got to be fun after they started selling you the full package late in it's life.

Destiny 2 learned very little from the mountains of feedback they got which (Correctly) screamed in near perfect unison about a lot of things.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I play it because, despite the flaws, it's still a Bungie shooter which means it's fundamentally sound in the actual shoot aliens department.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Inco posted:

Yeah, I'm in the middle of downloading it because I forgot to cancel my Humble Monthly so I guess I just own it now, and all these posts are making me want to cancel the download and forget about it.

It's a waste of time. If you want to just look at pretty graphics for a bit and play through the story missions, you could do a lot worse since you already own it. Just don't expect there to be anything fulfilling to do once the story is over. I got it for free myself since it happened to come with the graphics card I bought, and it still managed to leave a kinda sour taste after seeing how much wasted potential it had but also scummy it was trying to be at the same time (someone who knows and cares a lot more about it could write a lot of words for this thread about eververse, the experience decay debacle, and more)

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That's really weird, I've had much closer-aimed stuff miss/not count as headshots.

It's actually a stat on weapons. Some weapons are better or worse at it. https://db.destinytracker.com/d2/en/items/weapon

It also isn't there very much when you hipfire. After you've ADSed for a moment, you suddenly start headshotting enemies when aiming much further away from their head.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

It's actually a stat on weapons. Some weapons are better or worse at it. https://db.destinytracker.com/d2/en/items/weapon

It also isn't there very much when you hipfire. After you've ADSed for a moment, you suddenly start headshotting enemies when aiming much further away from their head.

Oh, that could really explain why sometimes I'd "upgrade" to a new gun and suddenly my aim seemed to tank. I thought that was just because it wasn't my kind of gun, guess it's because it had a weaker aim-helper.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Arrath posted:

I play it because, despite the flaws, it's still a Bungie shooter which means it's fundamentally sound in the actual shoot aliens department.

Yeah, Bungie figured how to make shooting feel good back in 2001 and has just been tweaking and refining Halo's core gunplay for the past 17 years. Ultimately, I probably got my money's worth out of Destiny 2 because it'd been forever since the last Bungie shooter I played and all my friends were there with me, but I wouldn't really recommend buying it.

What really killed the game for me though was the lootboxes-as-progression endgame. Once you finish the story and hit the level cap, the primary method of getting your arbitrary gear score high enough to do raids and other actual content again is to farm exciting tasks like "win 5 pvp matches" or "do this world event until your eyes bleed." After doing this, you receive a lootbox with a bunch of trash in it and maybe one gun that's marginally better than your previous gun but probably not.

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 10:05 on Jun 10, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Destiny 2 feels better than Destiny 1 for the first week or so you play it imo. Then you just completely run out of reasons to come back and the lovely parts start really grating on you. I think I played it heavily for 5 days, lightly for another 5 and then dropped it.

The part that pisses me off the most though is the changes they made to shaders. At least with most of the gameplay changes someone was probably honestly thinking "yes, this will make the game more fun for the players." The only justifications for the shader change were a) some obvious rationalization for "driving engagement" and b) lootboxification. They just straight up made an existing system worse in the interest of fitting it into a horrible business model.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've been playing it for a couple of weeks and have enjoyed it enough to buy the expansion pass on sale but it has a mind boggling amount of tiny issues that add up to a far worse experience than it really should be. Hopefully September's big expansion turns things round a bit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I still get a little annoyed Kojima couldn’t be bothered to look into an encyclopedia and find out the difference between dominant and recessive genes any time I think about Metal Gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (not Circle of the Moon, the main game) is a fantastic homage to the classic Castlevania games, mainly Castlevania 3. the problems I found are when you need to do precise jumps that require your character's sprite to be a foot off of the block (mostly in level 5, because wind), and the few jumps where if you're miriam, you will vault over the obstacle, falling into a pit and losing her until everyone else dies or you complete the level. The bosses are alright, except the stage 4 boss which is so incredibly annoying, and probably the only of the bosses i've found where you can't avoid taking damage on hard mode unless you are a god at castlevania games.