Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Incidentally, for those of you chasing the cult path after starting as a Detective, how does that work? Do you just stop showing up to your Detective job or is there a way you can keep being a detective while moonlighting as a cultist?

I stayed as a detective for a long time in my winning run, you can just keep on investigating Tentative Evidence for as long as you want (you only get one suspect to arrest, though). Eventually I just stopped showing up to work, so I don't know if it's possible to be fired for being a cultist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
you can easily just farm as much health as you want so its not really a big deal to spend it on whatever even if its lost

this game could really use shortcuts of some kind. it would be nice to bind an action to a button so i can just strength -> health -> start -> close window instead of making a bunch of mouse clicks for a pretty rote action

edit: i guess you can just use contentment for trappings

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 10, 2018

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
another q: i have a couple rites - how do i tell what i need to use them? is it just a card placement guessing game or is there some sort of "get this much aspect and use this item"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Verviticus posted:

another q: i have a couple rites - how do i tell what i need to use them? is it just a card placement guessing game or is there some sort of "get this much aspect and use this item"

Check out which things go in which slot and then just yeah, try things out and see what works.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The thing about rites is, the rite you use only determines what inputs it takes and which of them gets sacrificed (Sunset Rite and Rite of the Map's Edge both eat influences, which is the best option imo). What the rite actually does is determined purely by the intensities and type of the lores put into it by the inputs- and if you've put lore of one type in it'll give you suggestions as to what you can combine it with and for what effect.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I never found myself using Rites for anything but summons; I know you can do R->P or P->R or fix Decrepitude, but I never needed to do those.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

That and summons is literally all they do, I think :(

The stat manipulation ones are kind of pointless because really, everything past your third point in any of them (well, reason wants a bit more) is gravy, and you end up with essay/poetry collections coming out your ears if you empty the bookstores like you should.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there some way I could have lost a buttload of passion without noticing? I was 4 or 5 and then after I stopped painting for awhile I was suddenly down to 1 max, what gives.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Were you using it to recruit cultists?

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Autonomous Monster posted:

The thing about rites is, the rite you use only determines what inputs it takes and which of them gets sacrificed (Sunset Rite and Rite of the Map's Edge both eat influences, which is the best option imo). What the rite actually does is determined purely by the intensities and type of the lores put into it by the inputs- and if you've put lore of one type in it'll give you suggestions as to what you can combine it with and for what effect.

Yeah, once you get either of those then there’s no reason to use the others. There’s SO MUCH potential in this game, I think I’m probably going to forget about it for a few years and then come back when it’s acrually fleshed out.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tehan posted:

Were you using it to recruit cultists?

Yeah, does that consume it?

e: looking at steam it sounds like there's a bug that makes passion vanish for some people so maybe that's it. Ugh.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, does that consume it?

e: looking at steam it sounds like there's a bug that makes passion vanish for some people so maybe that's it. Ugh.

No bug here, using Health/Reason/Passion to turn acquaintances into cultists and promote them eats the card forever. I also learned that one the hard way...

Recruitment proper (getting acquaintances) should be fine tho.

Lestaki fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 10, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lestaki posted:

No bug here, using Health/Reason/Passion to turn acquaintances into cultists and promote them eats the card forever. I also learned that one the hard way...

Recruitment proper (getting acquaintances) should be fine tho.

Welp, time to start a new game then.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

The Moon Monster posted:

Welp, time to start a new game then.

This is , what, the third time someone has complained about “mysteriously” losing reason or passion in so many pages? Are you guys not reading anything? The tooltip very clearly says that ingredients like passion or reason or health will be consumed. Or are you just skipping all the text?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Well, I mean, the fact that Passion etc. are Ingredients is super non-obvious, every other Ingredient is blatantly a consumable item. And every other slot that consumes things has the little candle symbol, while the Trappings slot doesn't. I figured it out before losing anything, but it's definitely an easy trap to fall into.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

megane posted:

Well, I mean, the fact that Passion etc. are Ingredients is super non-obvious, every other Ingredient is blatantly a consumable item. And every other slot that consumes things has the little candle symbol, while the Trappings slot doesn't. I figured it out before losing anything, but it's definitely an easy trap to fall into.

Agreed, this game is unfair to the illiterate

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
This is going to sound super patronising, but based on some things I've seen on twitter, I guess some people don't realise it... but people struggling with some of the mechanics know that you can pause the game to read things, click on blank spaces to see what cards they take etc, right?

Some folk on twitter seem to be playing it in a state of constant panic as timers tick down incessantly and they try to read everything and move things at the same time.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I actually managed to get pretty far last night (for me). Got a cult of like 7 people, got a bunch of rites, bought out all of the books and auction house stuff and had an absolute ton of "spells" or whatever they're called. I got into the Woods and the White Door, but got stuck after that.

I spent a lot of time trying to upgrade spells, by combing two equal level spells with Study, but I don't know where to go from there. I upgraded my Temptation: Enlightenment by dreaming, but then after that it told me I need to 'Work" for it more. I tried to do some random Sun-in-Rags/Winter Rite that killed a Patron I had, but literally the second it completed I died from Despair so I don't even know what it does.

edit: "spells" are "lores", I couldn't remember the name.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nightgull posted:

Agreed, this game is unfair to the illiterate

You're soOOoo smart

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You're soOOoo smart

Well they can read so that's a step in the right direction

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Nightgull posted:

This is , what, the third time someone has complained about “mysteriously” losing reason or passion in so many pages? Are you guys not reading anything? The tooltip very clearly says that ingredients like passion or reason or health will be consumed. Or are you just skipping all the text?

Unlike most of the slot descriptions, the fact that the ingredients will be consumed is a small amount of text in a rather large field describing multiple slots at once. If you look at other things like rituals, the entire slot has an extra symbol showing that this will happen but the cult action lacks this symbol. Also, it is the first thing you run into that will consume your main stats instead of exhausting it.

Basically there is a mechanics shift that is poorly expressed that functions oppositely to how it has been functioning before. Being derogatory because someone missed a bit of text in the large amount, or heaven forbid thought that earlier game mechanics would keep holding, is a poor stance to take.

In useful tips, at least the very first level of recruitment can be accomplished with cold, hard cash.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

That and summons is literally all they do, I think :(

The stat manipulation ones are kind of pointless because really, everything past your third point in any of them (well, reason wants a bit more) is gravy, and you end up with essay/poetry collections coming out your ears if you empty the bookstores like you should.

You can turn a rite into a murder spell, and it's pretty dope. The one time I used it, it randomly picked the grumpy detective as a target.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Every other thing I've found that uses passion/health/reason other than clearly negative events like illness just exhausts it for a minute, but this one consumes it for some reason. It's also an unintuitively bad use of resources. Now that I know that the resource is always permanently consumed why would I ever use health/reason/passion for that slot? It's like if I could buy the game for $20 or alternatively get it by mailing the creator my severed hand.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

In useful tips, at least the very first level of recruitment can be accomplished with cold, hard cash.

For recruitment: You need the Secret that you founded your cult with. And nothing else. The Ceremony slot and the Trappings slot are both optional slots, you only need to use one.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

TheBlandName posted:

For recruitment: You need the Secret that you founded your cult with. And nothing else. The Ceremony slot and the Trappings slot are both optional slots, you only need to use one.

As much as I enjoy this game, there are so many little UI things that are frustrating that don't add much. Good thing money is stupid easy to get to make up for that I guess.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lol if you’re paying your cultists money for their service.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Donnerberg posted:

You can turn a rite into a murder spell, and it's pretty dope. The one time I used it, it randomly picked the grumpy detective as a target.

sadly that is the only ritual that isn't manipulating your stats or summoning something in the entire game, near as i can tell

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Now that I’ve collected the Glover & Glover and Detective minor endings I suppose what’s left for me is the other Lore endings and/or figuring out the Tricuspid gate... only thing I can think of is that the highest-level Expeditions might give out useful things. I only did one of those before my Forge victory.

Incidentally, for those of you chasing the cult path after starting as a Detective, how does that work? Do you just stop showing up to your Detective job or is there a way you can keep being a detective while moonlighting as a cultist?

Keeping your detective job is a bad idea, but you can do it by just repeatedly investigating your target, and only investigating them directly or weak evidence and using only 1 reason to prevent progress. In the end though it's just a worse Glover and Glover, so it's not worth it. However, as you saw earlier in the thread your investigative target is special in that if you recruit them they can become Exalted even if they aren't of your cult-type.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do you subvert one lore type to another? I created the Cult of Silence and I'm going for a Power win.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How do you subvert one lore type to another? I created the Cult of Silence and I'm going for a Power win.

Start with the lore type you want to subvert. Then add an equal level lore type you want to create. All lore can be subverted to Knock. The seven remaining lore run in a cycle. The exact cycle is in the next spoiler.

Lantern -> Forge -> Edge -> Winter -> Heart -> Grail -> Moth -> Lantern

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is there a limited number of nameless cultists? what happens if you kill everyone off?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I hope they make some UI improvements next patch. I'd like an option for grid locking everything. And to be able lock cards and verbs I don't want shuffled when a random verb appears on the table.

Also auction is slightly irritating in that if something important comes up during the 5 second timer I sometimes forget to go back and check the auction during its 30 second timer. It's not often but still rarely leads to losing an item which I never got to see and will never get a chance to acquire again.
For the sake of a 5 second timer is seems unnecessary, just jump straight into the auction and show me what's for sale when I click start.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its insane that you cant just make a stacking section for poo poo like mystique. i dont give a gently caress what the timer is and if i do ill mouse over it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I really wish there was a way to automate highly repetitive simple tasks like the basic jobs. Having to drag 5 cards every 45s every time you want to get some painting done gets annoying quick...

Snap to grid and position locking things would also be nice.

Verviticus posted:

is there a limited number of nameless cultists? what happens if you kill everyone off?

yes. game gets harder.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How can I get my lore past 6? I want to improve my followers but I need a 7 lore, and I don't have a pair of any 6s.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

explorations are how you get the big lore

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I KNOW EVERYTHING! EVERYTHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!

...please nobody else try this, it takes an ice age and there's not even an achievement :smith:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Exploring with heart or followers or what? Is there a difference?

edit: to be a little more specific here's where I keep getting stuck.

Start a cult > Collect Morland Books > Have a ton of lore of each time thats 2/4/6 > Get to the Woods > ????

I don't have enough lore to do the rights, not sure where to go.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 10, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Exploring with heart or followers or what? Is there a difference?

Expeditions. Stick a histories lore into the explore slot, then explore the location you get. Repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

I KNOW EVERYTHING! EVERYTHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!

...please nobody else try this, it takes an ice age and there's not even an achievement :smith:

Oh you poor, poor soul.

You never found/figured out the reusable non-breaking tool to get past the Peacock Gate, did you?