Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
12 protagonist monologues for the red queen under crown of plastic heaphones. 8 bottles lost among detritus. 4 memory remixes which really isn't that many. 1 spilled drink undone by the hand of time. tis perhaps the countdown to the mockery of the once proud developer DONTNOD. tis perchance her fans last dance, alone to face the death and pestilence...and now it's SUPERSIZED?! confronted by the clunky and the jank, players became desperate for answers. weak endings make for an omen. a basket full of kickass a dire presage. turning to twitch streamers for games journalism when there were no ethics to be found. when gamerz failed, men hella turned to science. i saw them build such vain setpieces. crafting diners full of static models made for endless feels. new questions flourished as old answers were totally stuck in the retrozone.

what is edge but lurking profundity?
what is dialogue but mangled words?
what is storm but tortured metaphor?
what is song but consistently good despite the games' other shortcomings?
what is hate but jilted fanboying?
what is life

but strange pending?

*sucks blood* splish splash

LoseHound fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

DontNod's making.. a murder mystery game too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EMAtlY4R-E

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
As I said in the other thread, this looks way more up my alley than the lovely vampire game

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, I was under the impression that LiS 2 would be their next major project after Vampyr. Though to be fair we still haven't seen Square's conference yet so it could be possible they're working on both games at the same time. Of course, the current timetable for the game's release is "before 2020" so it might also be possible that we're just not getting it this year.

Even though the character models look like they were taken from a PS2 game (or PSX for that matter) this does at least look more interesting to me than Vampyr did.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 8, 2018

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

It's always hard to tell from a trailer, but that looks a lot more like a fully narrative focused game rather than something that they're going to try and shoehorn bad combat into, so I'm hopeful. Even though it gets negative points for having a generic white dude protagonist.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If this basically winds up being "Heavy Rain, only good" I'd be down for that to be honest (though that's probably not likely).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 8, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

If this basically winds up being "Heavy Rain, only good" I'd be down for that to be honest (though that's probably not likely).

Its more like Indigo Prophecy, it would seem.\

e: But yeah, this looks way better than Vampyr in terms of first impressions. Interesting to see where it goes. Nice to see them putting that Life is Strange money into new IPs tbh.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I think that Twin Mirror trailer is giving me more of a "Deadly Premonition but serious" vibe, or maybe "Silent Hill but the town's not dead" which I guess may as well be Alan Wake at that point.

Honestly, a narrative adventure take on Silent Hill is probably the only good way to do Silent Hill in this day and age.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Delsaber posted:

I think that Twin Mirror trailer is giving me more of a "Deadly Premonition but serious" vibe, or maybe "Silent Hill but the town's not dead" which I guess may as well be Alan Wake at that point.

I loving LOVED Alan Wake, weak combat aside, so "may as well be Alan Wake" would be a huge plus for me

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Not really getting the hate for Vampyr's dialogue. It's certainly mediocre, but it's not really cringey at all?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Larryb posted:

Even though the character models look like they were taken from a PS2 game (or PSX for that matter)
Yep, looks exactly like this:

(seriously, I wish people would stop with this sort of hyperbole when a game looks slightly less shiny than the latest AAA blockbuster)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 9, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doc Morbid posted:

Yep, looks exactly like this:

(seriously, I wish people would stop with this sort of hyperbole when a game looks slightly less shiny than the latest AAA blockbuster)

I initially thought that because I could barely make out the main character's face in some shots, but rewatching the trailer it's not quite that bad I admit. Like I said, this still interests me more than Vampyr ever did so I might wind up checking it out regardless.

As for LiS 2, I'm assuming that if we're getting any information at all about the game (and I don't see why not seeing as they said that we'd start hearing more about it in "the coming months" not long after Farewell released) it'll happen Monday during Square's E3 conference. That's still not a guarantee that we'll be seeing the first episode this year of course.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stare-Out posted:

looks like a cross between david cage and deadly premonition

i'm down

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not really getting the hate for Vampyr's dialogue. It's certainly mediocre, but it's not really cringey at all?

It sure feels cringey to me. At one point the character is like "I FEEL LIKE A CHILD LEARNING THE LIMITS OF MY BODY" and my eyes rolled so hard they shot out of my skull and into the street

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've gotten about 9 hours into Vampyr and it's pretty all right imho. Not the best game in the world, definitely not the worst, very cool game conceptually. I wanna see where all the choices lead.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah I liked it. I think it's the kind of game where if you weren't a fan of the promo stuff you definitely won't be a fan of the game, it commits very hard to its schtick

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

June 26th!

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1005907356931289089

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Is this Life is Strange 2 or another spinoff? I don't know but as soon as that Sufjan Stevens music started up I was like "ah yes, hello feels my old friend."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ah okay, here we go. It's a free self-contained prequel episode that will tie into the events of Life is Strange 2. Awesome!

http://lifeisstrange-blog.tumblr.com/post/174764161880/announcing-the-awesome-adventures-of-captain

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

:toot:

The fact it's free is extra sweet!

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

Ah okay, here we go. It's a free self-contained prequel episode that will tie into the events of Life is Strange 2. Awesome!

http://lifeisstrange-blog.tumblr.com/post/174764161880/announcing-the-awesome-adventures-of-captain

I'm not sure that it actually is a prequel. I'm not sure what it is. Here's a quote from the announcement you linked to:

quote:

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit is the first step towards showing you the true potential of Life is Strange, and the possibilities of a diverse universe filled with interesting characters and stories to tell. With it, we have created a self-contained narrative experience that’s brimming with content – the deeper you dig, the more you will discover. While this demo is designed in the usual Life is Strange way and allows you plenty of time to explore everything, it is at the same time structurally different to previous entries. You will most likely see and discover new content on subsequent playthroughs which you might have previously missed. And there are some secrets that may very well take a coordinated group of fans to unravel…

We can’t wait for you to uncover the secrets of this adventure together as a community, and we’re really looking forward to reading all your theories about The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit and how it might relate to Life is Strange 2.

Self contained story, designed to be difficult to find all the content so that players have to work together to find it all, and "how it might relate to Life is Strange 2".

I'm intrigued by this whole thing, but from this announcement it's impossible to know exactly what this thing is. It does not look like this is just a straight out prequel, and I think it's highly likely that Chris, the player character of this free episode, will not be the player character of LIS 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They go into more detail here in the development video. They do mention that some of the choices players make in this episode will have consequences for Season 2, and that it's intended to bridge the gap between the first and second seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcuHeHHoPjg

My wild guess: Chris will be a Chloe analogue for LiS 2 and not the main protagonist.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EolUfLJpUwc

Well, I wasn't expecting something like this but it looks interesting enough. Even if Chris doesn't wind up being the new protagonist of LiS 2 he's probably going to tie into it in some fashion. Still though, it's nice that we're at least getting something new relatively soon to tide us over before the main game is out. This is still Life is Strange though so I can almost guarantee you that this game is going to end on some kind of downer note.

exquisite tea posted:

They go into more detail here in the development video. They do mention that some of the choices players make in this episode will have consequences for Season 2, and that it's intended to bridge the gap between the first and second seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcuHeHHoPjg

My wild guess: Chris will be a Chloe analogue for LiS 2 and not the main protagonist.

Huh, so I guess that means there will be some kind of story connection between the original and Season 2 after all. Looking forward to seeing more regarding this. I will say that the character models have definitely improved over the first game at any rate (you can actually see the characters expressing proper emotions now).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 10, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an article which contains a large amount of information about the Captain Spirit LIS game.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-10-25-minutes-with-life-is-strange-2s-brilliantly-unexpected-free-prequel

Warning, it contains spoilers, I suppose, so if you don't want any details of what the game will be about, don't read it.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Sunshine posted:

Here's an article which contains a large amount of information about the Captain Spirit LIS game.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-10-25-minutes-with-life-is-strange-2s-brilliantly-unexpected-free-prequel

Warning, it contains spoilers, I suppose, so if you don't want any details of what the game will be about, don't read it.

One bit of info which isn't a spoiler, for those who don't want to read this article:

The game takes place 3 years after the events of Life is Strange season 1, in the town of Beaver Creek, Oregon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh shi-- is it gonna import saves from LiS season one? If so I gotta replay all the episodes for a 100% canon savestate.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

Welp, this confirms that despite the new cast and setting LiS 2 will be continuing the story started by the original game. Though how related the two games will actually be besides a few off-hand references still remains to be seen. So, based on the information in the article and the fact that it takes place 3 years after Season 1 I wonder if it means that Sacrifice Chloe is canon then?

I suppose it could still go either way though, I'm curious now if any familiar faces will start popping up as Season 2 progresses.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 10, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

So, based on the information in the article and the fact that it takes place 3 years after Season 1 I wonder if it means that Sacrifice Chloe is canon then?

What from the article makes you think this?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

What from the article makes you think this?

The fact that it stated that Chris' mom went to Blackwell and there's a letter from Principal Wells you can find, which would imply that the school (and by association Arcadia Bay) was still standing. Though I suppose it could be an older letter or that there were some survivors from the storm and the town was rebuilt during the 3 years between games. Like I said, you could probably still go either way with this.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

The fact that it stated that Chris' mom went to Blackwell and there's a letter from Principal Wells you can find, which would imply that the school (and by association Arcadia Bay) was still standing. Though I suppose it could be an older letter or that there were some survivors from the storm and the town was rebuilt during the 3 years between games. Like I said, you could probably still go either way with this.

It could just as well go the opposite direction. There's a theory already popped up on reddit's LIS board which says that Chris' mother may have died in the storm, which would make the Sacrifice Arcadia ending canon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, also the upcoming comic is apparently following the Sacrifice Arcadia ending so it would make sense for the game to go in that direction as well. Plus, I'm not really sure how well continuing off the other ending would work as there's not much to go on for a sequel (to anyone not named Max Caulfield, all that happened that week was a girl got shot, the body of another girl who'd gone missing was discovered, and Mark Jefferson and Nathan Prescott were arrested in connection to said crimes).

Of course, just because we know there's a connection between the two games now doesn't necessarily mean that we'll be seeing Chloe, Max, etc. pop up later in LiS 2 but you never know. I'm guessing that Chris is definitely going to be involved in Season 2 even if he's not the main character (as another poster stated, maybe he'll wind up being the Chloe of that game or something).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 10, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Of course, just because we know there's a connection between the two games now doesn't necessarily mean that we'll be seeing Chloe, Max, etc. pop up later in LiS 2 but you never know. I'm guessing that Chris is definitely going to be involved in Season 2 even if he's not the main character (as another poster stated, maybe he'll wind up being the Chloe of that game or something).

Keep in mind that this prequel is set 3 years after the events of season 1. This means Chris will still be a little boy in season 2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

Keep in mind that this prequel is set 3 years after the events of season 1. This means Chris will still be a little boy in season 2.

Yes, but we also don't know how long after said prequel Life is Strange 2 will take place around. For all we know he could be a teenager by the time the actual game starts (but I'm guessing it's probably not going to be quite that long a gap). Either that or the next victims of the LiS universe are going to be even younger children than before (which might actually be worse to be honest).

I look forward to seeing what kind of emotional gut punch they decide to end Captain Spirit with (this is Life is Strange, you know it's coming).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 10, 2018

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Larryb posted:

I look forward to seeing what kind of emotional gut punch they decide to end Captain Spirit with (this is Life is Strange, you know it's coming).

It's only the first episode so I'm expecting something pretty upbeat, like Chris finding his dad drunk and passed out in a puddle of his own vomit.

Either way, I can't wait to reach my hand out in front of my freckled face!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LoseHound posted:

It's only the first episode so I'm expecting something pretty upbeat, like Chris finding his dad drunk and passed out in a puddle of his own vomit.

Either way, I can't wait to reach my hand out in front of my freckled face!!

Didn't we originally think the same thing about Farewell? I don't exactly trust this series in regards to stuff like that anymore to be honest. But yeah, from what we've heard this is basically Life is Strange 2: Episode 0 so however it ends it probably won't be anything too in-depth.

But regardless, I wasn't expecting to get a new LiS chapter this soon so I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 11, 2018

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I'm hyped for the continuity with LiS. I really hope Ashly Burch is involved in this project in some way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

I'm hyped for the continuity with LiS. I really hope Ashly Burch is involved in this project in some way.

Yeah, even if Chloe doesn't come back it still might be nice to have Burch (and maybe a few other LiS alumni) return to play a different role.

Of course, now that we know this is still in direct continuity with the first game I'm curious as to how far they're going to to take that (it might be nice if they threw in a nod to BtS as well but I'm won't hold my breath). Though even if some of the old characters do wind up returning the new cast should still remain the main focus of the plot.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 11, 2018

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Larryb posted:

Kid's 10 years old and this is 3 years after the events of season 1, so unless his mom was pregnant in grade school, or there are some serious time travel shenanigans afoot, I think it's safe to say that any association she might have had with Blackwell would have been long before the time we saw it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

that kid is 100% going to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Kid's 10 years old and this is 3 years after the events of season 1, so unless his mom was pregnant in grade school, or there are some serious time travel shenanigans afoot, I think it's safe to say that any association she might have had with Blackwell would have been long before the time we saw it.

Fair point, the information given doesn't really tell us anything one way or the other (in fact, I'm curious if Dontnod is going to decide on which ending to the first game is the "canon" one or just leave it purposefully vague). I could see things going either way at this point.

Paul Zuvella posted:

that kid is 100% going to die

Maybe not in this game but yeah, that's a safe bet. Besides, since this is a prequel to the actual LiS 2 the ending is going to have to tie into that in some fashion (even if it's just a brief post-credits scene or something).

This was not really what I was expecting but I'm on board with this. I'm kind of curious now if this is all we're getting as far as E3 goes or if they'll be releasing a trailer for the main game as well soon. We'll probably know for sure by tomorrow since that's when Square's conference is going to be.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 11, 2018

• Locked thread