Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

I think this is a good idea for a book, but solely based on my experience of listening to Amy Ratcliffe on the Full of Sith podcast, she is not at all someone I would hand a project like this to. I think Holly Frey, the cohost who replaced her when she left, would do a much better job.

I remember you mentioned what you felt were her weaknesses as a podcast host, but I'm not familiar with her writing - what would be the problem, do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chairman Capone posted:

I think this is also going to be a case where writing 75 entries on women from the post-2015 era on is going to run into the standard Essential Guide/Tales of... problem of having 30 entries on major characters and the remainder being full-page entries on "woman slightly visible in the background of Maz's Castle in a deleted scene." Should just have made it about women from the entire history of Star Wars. I don't think anyone would really care about the EU/Canon distinction for a book celebrating the women of Star Wars.

This is what Star Wars is, embrace it or forever be dissatisfied.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember you mentioned what you felt were her weaknesses as a podcast host, but I'm not familiar with her writing - what would be the problem, do you think?

With the caveat that I haven't read any of her things for StarWars.com or Insider, from the podcast and her interviews I feel like she's just someone who's going to write the equivalent of a condensed Wookieepedia article. "This is so-and-so. In 34 ABY she visited the Resistance base and played a major role fueling the X-wings." More about just summarizing stuff than having a lot of flourish or creativity. But I guess that kind of approach may be what Lucasfilm wanted for this.

I also remember she did not read any of the comics or books, which seems odd for someone covering what will presumably be majority non-film characters. I do remember that she broke down crying multiple times at the thought of Ahsoka dying so I guess that's one character she's passionate about.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Holding a laser sword above the head of your student is surely a breach of the professional guidelines and standards for teaching, Jedi or not.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

Chairman Capone posted:

I think this is a good idea for a book, but solely based on my experience of listening to Amy Ratcliffe on the Full of Sith podcast, she is not at all someone I would hand a project like this to. I think Holly Frey, the cohost who replaced her when she left, would do a much better job.

What did Ratcliffe say that makes you say this? (I know nothing about Amy Ratcliffe, just curious.)

Edit: nevermind, I didn't see your above post.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

luke and kyle had a sort of herzog and kinski thing going on

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I think this is also going to be a case where writing 75 entries on women from the post-2015 era on is going to run into the standard Essential Guide/Tales of... problem of having 30 entries on major characters and the remainder being full-page entries on "woman slightly visible in the background of Maz's Castle in a deleted scene." Should just have made it about women from the entire history of Star Wars. I don't think anyone would really care about the EU/Canon distinction for a book celebrating the women of Star Wars.

no one will ever convince me that the story where the mos eisley bartender grinds greedo up for whiskey flavoring isn't art

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

who was that dude who was drinking peoples brain soup?

i think his star wars ccg card had like 4 force ability so he was as powerful a jedi as luke

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

punchymcpunch posted:

who was that dude who was drinking peoples brain soup?

i think his star wars ccg card had like 4 force ability so he was as powerful a jedi as luke

Dannik Jerriko?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

yep

aww he only had 3 ability

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

punchymcpunch posted:

yep

aww he only had 3 ability

I think all Anzati are Force-sensitive on some level.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

pubic works project posted:

I think all Anzati are Force-sensitive on some level.

You fool, you don't need to be unsure about anything in this thread.

Jivjov, help this man!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Milky Moor posted:

You fool, you don't need to be unsure about anything in this thread.

Jivjov, help this man!

Yep; the Anzati are, on a species level, fairly force sensitive. And if an Anzat consumes the brain of a force user, it can potentially amplify their own connection to the force.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

Yep; the Anzati are, on a species level, fairly force sensitive. And if an Anzat consumes the brain of a force user, it can potentially amplify their own connection to the force.

In the end, there can be only one.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The canon name is snot vampire, fyi

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

jivjov posted:

I love you, Jivjov.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I actually think in the Disney setting, Jerriko is just a weird looking human. A major step backwards, IMO.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Luke Skywalker's greatest contribution to the plot of Star Wars was trying to kill his own nephew and failing.

It was really bizarre when he was presented as the reasonable party when he met his nephew again after that.

Correction, that was Jake Skywalker.

Its like you don't pay attention.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

I actually think in the Disney setting, Jerriko is just a weird looking human. A major step backwards, IMO.

You mean the line "Jerriko drank his soup. The man died." from the original Essential Guide to Characters isn't canon?

Oh, man.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

LeJackal posted:

Correction, that was Jake Skywalker.

Its like you don't pay attention.

I thought it was pretty clear it was Bigger Luke.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, I probably should start tagging my lore dumps as either [LEGENDS] or [CANON]

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Finally saw Solo. It was kind of a mess but could have been a lot worse given the production problems. That said it's the weakest of the new films by far.

The Maul scene looks pretty goofy, like they motion captured it for no particularly good reason. Why didn't they have Ray Park voice him? He had a few lines in TPM and did just fine with them. Then he force pulls his lightsaber into the frame and ignites it for shits and giggles. Which just looked dumb and didn't really tell us anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

Finally saw Solo. It was kind of a mess but could have been a lot worse given the production problems. That said it's the weakest of the new films by far.

The Maul scene looks pretty goofy, like they motion captured it for no particularly good reason. Why didn't they have Ray Park voice him? He had a few lines in TPM and did just fine with them. Then he force pulls his lightsaber into the frame and ignites it for shits and giggles. Which just looked dumb and didn't really tell us anything.

Ray park has never voiced Maul. He's only done the body

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

Ray park has never voiced Maul. He's only done the body
Oh. I guess that's why he doesn't sound all Scottish. The rest of the points stand.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
His voice was performed in TPM by Peter Serafinowicz.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

His voice was performed in TPM by Peter Serafinowicz.

https://youtu.be/t0wHqNi3x5M

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
If it wasn’t for Maul, this would’ve been the first Star Wars movie without a lightsaber. :ohdear:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

VaultAggie posted:

If it wasn’t for Maul, this would’ve been the first Star Wars movie without a lightsaber. :ohdear:

And its now the first without Artoo and Threepio :smith:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

It shouldn't have been included, it was dumb.

There were a lot of opportunities to make the majority of the exposition more natural, and show not tell. That's my biggest complaint as of right now.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

this is fantastic

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

punchymcpunch posted:

this is fantastic

I remember downloading the trailer. Phantom Menace, and the Matrix one. It was pretty much exactly how he said.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Let me also say that I vastly prefer how Han and Lando met in the EU. Wherein Lando manages to get the drop on Boba Fett who was attempting to kidnap Han at the time. They give him obedience drugs and force him to fly his ship off into the middle of nowhere. I guess what I'm saying is that it's funny to clown on Boba Fett and the new continuity could use some of that.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I agree, and that's why LucasFilm are cowards for not getting Taika to direct the Boba Fett movie.

Basically I want to see Taika make a very Maori film about Mandalorians, like he did with Thor.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/atea/31-10-2017/thor-and-his-magic-patu-notes-on-a-very-maori-marvel-movie/

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 10, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Thor 3 was a bad movie, I don't know why you'd want anything more like it.

Also that is one dumb and banal article. There's something wonderfully idiotic about treating the introduction of Maori culture in a story about Norse mythology as more important than, you know, any inclusion of Scandinavian culture.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I probably should start tagging my lore dumps as either [LEGENDS] or [CANON]

How about [NO]?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 10, 2018

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Good to know your reading comprehension is as poor with articles as it is with films, books and posts.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Let me quote that article:

An actual person posted:

First off, Taika Waiti (sic) is woke as hell.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I mean, sure, that's a dumb turn of phrase but also when you're not writing for an academic audience there's nothing actually wrong with using colloquial language.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

cptn_dr posted:

I mean, sure, that's a dumb turn of phrase but also when you're not writing for an academic audience there's nothing actually wrong with using colloquial language.

No one is complaining about colloquialisms. The article is badly written. Not writing for an academic audience is not an excuse to be unintelligent, although I understand that you cannot help it.

Besides, Waititi already directed a subpar homage to Star Wars. A canonical Star Wars movie would probably not be an improvement.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Characters standing in a lift cliche *sin*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How about [NO]?

I dunno, with two separate continuities, and things that have appeared in both, I think marking which I'm referring to would be useful. Maybe I should spoiler tag the mark?