Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Raskolnikov posted:

This city always got a promise for you. It might be a lie, an illusion, but it's there. Just around the corner, and it keeps you going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2kIfS6fb8

It's a city of dreams, and I'm a big dreamer!

Hahahaha holy gently caress. I know you should never take trailers as indicative of quality but seriously compare that to any trailer, official or fanmade for either Squadron 42 or Star Citizen. Just compare the quality of the trailers, ffs.

Jeeeeeeeeeeesus

e: taxxe

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beet Wagon posted:

Hahahaha holy gently caress. I know you should never take trailers as indicative of quality but seriously compare that to any trailer, official or fanmade for either Squadron 42 or Star Citizen. Just compare the quality of the trailers, ffs.

Jeeeeeeeeeeesus

Was just about to say, if you're gonna dream and sell those dreams, don't restrict yourself and go for broke.

CIG, however, misunderstood this to mean that they should go for making their customers broke.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Foo Diddley posted:

Well they all have jetpacks so you don't really need a ladder. Also, yeah, the animations are great; how they dynamically change based on just how much gravity there is

Good work. Now Chris has to bring all his "actors" back into the motion-capture studio so he can have them walking around pretending they're in lower/higher gravity environments, or at least what Chris thinks that means.

Yet another potential sci-fi aspect ruined by motion capture. Such vision!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/rePoolGaming/status/1005921607364177920
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1005924925230800896
https://twitter.com/rePoolGaming/status/1005939108995203073

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Raskolnikov posted:

This city always got a promise for you. It might be a lie, an illusion, but it's there. Just around the corner, and it keeps you going:

I'd laugh about how far out of his depth Chris is, but he's so bad that's not even accurate. He's out of his field. He's like that guy doing the color commentary on Best in Show - why is he even here?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm also really happy that the game is actually happening, since CD Projekt Red had been pretty silent for like 5 years about this game's development. Glad to see something that looks amazing instead of an article saying that the game had been quietly cancelled.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They've confirmed you get to make your own character in the Cyberpunk game

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Scruffpuff posted:

Good work. Now Chris has to bring all his "actors" back into the motion-capture studio so he can have them walking around pretending they're in lower/higher gravity environments, or at least what Chris thinks that means.

Yet another potential sci-fi aspect ruined by motion capture. Such vision!

chris_roberts_arguing_with_lord_british_a_man_who_has_actually_been_in_space_about_what_being_in_space_is_like.avi

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hahaha that cyberpunk trailer

chris, you idiot

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Like, I know we're not supposed to link anime itt, but having finally gotten around to Gurren Lagann - that's definitely the right way to dream. Three seasons only, so it doesn't outstay its welcome, tight inspirational story that sticks within the boundary of its loose rules, and dreams literally the size of the goddamn universe.

Not this piddly poo poo of 6 years of development to barely get one broke-as-gently caress system that now has to be filled with a ton of trash, non-functional ships, operating at 5-10 FPS. Like...even whatever trailer or ship sale I can remember from CIG nowadays is complete garbage to the ones they pumped out back in 2013 and 2014, let alone yea...something from CD Projekt.

Is CIG even planning a Gamescom now? I know they're not going for E3, but unless they produce some of their complete crap hype for the whales to latch onto, they just might finally start to really feel the pain.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
that art direction is loving incredible in that trailer, holy poo poo

same with fo76

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

hahaha that cyberpunk trailer

chris, you idiot

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

TheAgent posted:

that art direction is loving incredible in that trailer, holy poo poo

same with fo76

Right? Everything in it looks like scripted animations, but it's all tight little glimpses of what will probably be big game mechanics (see: Witcher 3). That soundtrack is probably 70% of the hype alone, but I dont even care.

No Mods No Masters posted:

They've confirmed you get to make your own character in the Cyberpunk game

Yesssss

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Right? Everything in it looks like scripted animations, but it's all tight little glimpses of what will probably be big game mechanics (see: Witcher 3). That soundtrack is probably 70% of the hype alone, but I dont even care.
yup you can actually see the different zones too, from chinatown to downtown to the slums to the arcologies to corporate hqs and each one has its own easy to see style and personality

same with the characters in them, from goth punk to corporate stooge

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: CryMorerpunk 2477

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tippis posted:

This ties together both the network processing and the graphics processing since the stepping-up of the level of detail on some objects (and stepping down for many others) will happen in lockstep. Even so, one actually has very little to do with the other. The streaming of art asset data into memory is separate from the streaming of object data to the client, but it will look really ugly if the two happen out of sync.

Yep, thats what I said.

Except for the ugly part, it wouldn't necessarily be that bad.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TheAgent posted:

Star Citizen: CryMorerpunk 2477

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Foo Diddley posted:

"They don't charge $1000 to access that page, they just don't let you access that page until you've spent $1000"

What a fuckin' idiot

He is technically right that you can spend $1000 and then melt it into the 27k, so its more like a deposit.

A deposit, on a pre-order, for a fantasy.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

TheAgent posted:

yup you can actually see the different zones too, from chinatown to downtown to the slums to the arcologies to corporate hqs and each one has its own easy to see style and personality

same with the characters in them, from goth punk to corporate stooge

One scene there's a lady made entirely of chrome, the very next is a hillbilly with a glowing laser shotgun. This game screams flavour and personality.

Starcitizen: Let's gush about Cyberpunk2077

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

G0RF posted:

[*]Sandi plugs The 3.2 FPS improvements that Lando will rescind within 24 hours. (Unless she meant that adding a couple of guns would deepen and make more compelling the FPS play, in which case, uhhhh okay.)
[/list]

I can't believe they show a guy fixing bugs for like 10 minutes.

Okay, I can, because they have nothing else to show. The game is just a pile of bugs.

Also god drat Sandi is bad on camera.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

For comparison's sake, here is - to the best of my knowledge - the only thing resembling a "trailer" that we've ever seen for Squadron 42:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FF-ewiwmhs

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 - i love a good dystopian future setting. Playing through Deus Ex: HR now and its so good.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Gravity_Storm posted:

Looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 - i love a good dystopian future setting. Playing through Deus Ex: HR now and its so good.

Has there actually been anything shown/discussed about gameplay? All I've seen thus far is 2 sizzle reels.

Granted they poo poo all over SC/SQ42 quite expertly, but they're not really filling.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hobold posted:

Has there actually been anything shown/discussed about gameplay? All I've seen thus far is 2 sizzle reels.

Granted they poo poo all over SC/SQ42 quite expertly, but they're not really filling.
supposedly more later today/this week, but you're probably looking at 2020 or 2021 for this to release I'd imagine

there's red text hidden in the trailer that mentions character creation will be shown at their e3 booth, so maybe they'll have gameplay as well

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

What's extra ridiculous about this is that a real game made by real game developers wouldn't even have an animation to get in and out of the ship in the first place.

"BUT MY IMMERSION" cry the backers, but I reiterate that replicating the minutiae isn't what immersion is.

Imagine a bunch of teenage kids sneaking up to the wall near a nudist colony with a ladder to sneak a peek. When they recount the event years later, they might remember the excitement of approaching the wall doing something they weren't supposed to do. They might recall peering over that wall.

What they will NOT recall is walking up the loving ladder and where their feet placement was as they did so. Their minds would have been elsewhere - climbing the ladder would have been a subconscious act the brain edited out in real time, much less dedicated to long-term storage.

But people with a certain kind of autism ONLY sees the minutiae. They have no way of knowing what or who is proper to focus on, so they focus on everything equally. I'm 100% convinced Chris has this, and I'm equally convinced the "MY IMMERSION" backers have the same defect.

Imagine the percentage of development time spent on something that isn't needed. Imagine how much further along this game might be without this bullshit stopping them cold.

I didn't even remember replying to this and I'm doing it right now.

I'll just know later when I get back to this post but I'll probably skip it because this The Titanic lady is a terrible poster and I have her on ignore.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
here's the hidden text from the trailer

quote:

It’s been over 2077 days since we announced our plan to develop Cyberpunk 2077. We released a CGI trailer, gave some interviews and… went dark. Normal procedure for these kinds of things — you announce a game and then shut up, roll up your sleeves and get to work. We wanted to give you the Witcher 3 and both expansions first, which is why this period of staying silent was longer than we planned. Sorry for that.

As soon as we concluded work on Blood and Wine, we were able to go full speed ahead with CP2077’s pre-production. But we chose to remain silent. Why? At she point we made the decisions to resume talking about the game when we have something to show. Something meaningful and substantial. This is because we do realize you’ve been impatiently waiting for a very long time, and we wouldn’t like anyone to feel that we’re taking this for granted. On the contrary — it gives us a lot of extra motivation. The hype is real, so the sweat and tears need to be real, too :)

But to the point. Today is the day. If you’re seeing this, it means you saw the trailer. - our vision for Cyberpunk, an alternative version of the future where America is in pieces, megacorporations control all aspects of civilized life, and gangs rule the rest. And, while this world is full of adrenaline, don’t let the car chases and guns mislead you. Cyberpunk 2077 is a true single player, story-driven RPG. You’ll be able to create your own character and… well, you’ll get to know the rest of what show at our booth at E3. Be on the lookout for the previews!

Before we finish, you probably have some questions,

1. When?

When we told you we would only release the game when it’s ready, we meant it. We’re definitely much closer to a release date than we were back then ;) but it’s still not the time to confirm anything, so patience is still required. Quality is the only thing that drives us. It’s the beauty of being an independent studio and your own publisher.

2. How big?

Seriously big, but… to be honest, we have no bloody clue at this point in time. Once we put it all together, we will openly tell you what you can expect. And we promise we’ll do this before we start talking about pre-orders or ask anything of you.

3. Free DLC/Expansions/DRM

Expect nothing less than you got with The Witcher 3. As for DRM, CP2077, will be 100% DRM-free on PC.

4. Microtransactions?

In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?

Once again, thank you for your patience. If you have a minute, do visit cyberpunk.net and share your opinion (about anything) with us. We read everything you posted we treat it very seriously.

Yours,

CD PROJEKT RED Team

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
CIG is basically the anti-CDPR at this point

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

:asoiaf:

Holy loving hell, that may only be a trailer, but holy shitpiss in a paper bag I'm seriously loving intrigued.

God drat, just :drat:

Makes even the most polished of CIG's 'trailers' look absolutely amateur in art, direction, asthetics, imagination, even sound choice.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Hav posted:

Spaceflight games got oversubscribed at a time when PC gaming was still largely niche and heading towards FPS for the 'pick up and play' appeal. The next five years would be variations on FPS as gaming chased the consoles into the 21st century. Interplay was also in the middle of cratering, despite releasing some of the best games, and did no marketing and printed the wrong system specifications.

It was one of those things that was a masterpiece if you liked games with joysticks, and that was still a fairly small group of people at the time; particularly as the joysticks of the time were crap and required a specific connector that usually came on a sound card.

Crap? CH has had the same design for 25 years. All that changed was switching from serial & gameport to USB....

Other than that they are still the same gear and still rock solid. I bought a new set of CH gear 5 years ago and have about 3000 hours on them between Elite & Flight Sims. They are still going...

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Derek is known for it, it is really that simple Derek also made fake emails years back to try and act as a victim and that he was attacked with racisme a long time ago, but was caught faking the emails to him selv as evidence. One of many episodes, Derek simply cant be thrusted

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XK posted:

I had been mistakenly thinking shale and slate were very similar. Well:

(Wikipedia)

It's apparently almost completely useless, except as bulk industrial material. It's the most abundant sedimentary rock. When processed, it can be added to cements, clay, or ceramics.

http://people.ku.edu/~stalder/KS-shale.html

It's the sort of material you scoop out of a pit and haul off in a dump truck big enough to carry a house, and is as common as dirt. I just can't wrap my mind around why this is one of the first included materials in the mining mechanic. And, you don't use fricken lasers. You use a giant scoop. It's basically mining mud.

Because in The Expanse they've made ice seem cool. And ice is so super basic and easy to get.

So CR put his thinking cap on to come up with another almost pointless thing for people in space to get "believable", and dirt and and sediment is what he came up with. Without thinking that it's readily available everywhere, and likely anywhere, and there will be no shortage of it anywhere.

And if you are on a planet that doesn't have it, you can just use whatever they do have to make your bricks with. It's not a critical resource people will live and die over if they can't get it.

But again, this is the difference between people who can look at the future and imagine "what would be important if I were living in a remote region of space and I was a human being?" coming up with, vs CR asking "I don't get why ice is important so what other menial material can we make critical so our world seems life like?"

I say this, but the more time goes on the more I believe CR no longer cares about this stuff, or is remotely involved anymore outside of making unilateral demands and decisions that break everything.

Most likely we are getting dumb stuff like this because there is no further direction to people outside of "We need more concept ships to sell, and they need to have unique mechanics so people want to buy them or they can't play with those mechanics."

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

quote:

It’s been over 2062 days since we announced our plan to develop Star Citizen and Squadron 42. We released a CGI trailer, gave some interviews and continued to pump out ship sale after ship sale for almost six straight years. Normal procedure for these kinds of things — you announce a game and then milk the people who believed in you as hard as you possibly can. We promised you two games, but delivered nothing so far. Sorry for that.

As soon as we concluded work with our fourteen contractors, we were able to go full speed ahead with terminating all our partnerships with them and leaving millions of your dollars on the table. Illfonic? Kythera? Mad Catz? We don't talk about those anymore. We chose to remain silent. Why? We realized we didn't have anything to show for all that money we've laid out...your money, actually. Nothing meaningful or substantial. This is because we do realize you’ve been impatiently waiting for a very long time, and we wouldn’t like anyone to feel that we’re taking this for granted. But we are. Hilariously so! The hype is real, and so are the dollars you are constantly feeding us.

But to the point. The next patch is the day. Actually, probably the patch after that. If you’re seeing this, it means you saw one of the 40 different videos about game development where there doesn't seem to be a lot of game development happening. That's thanks to Chris's vision for Squadron 42, a version of the future where Asian Space Turtles are building a spacewall, where wearing four to six leather jackets at once is en vogue, where drone, slaved weapon systems, AI, and most of today's readily available technology is in pieces. And, while this world is full of boring gameplay elements like mopping, mining, drink mixing, passenger flying, don’t let the Hairy Roberts spill on you while traveling at speeds less than a World War 2 jet. Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are a mix of some weird multiplayer and singleplayer and we're not quite sure how it's all going to fit together. Is it an action-RPG, a spacesim or what, exactly? You’ll be able to create your own character and… actually, will you be able to create your own character? We have no loving idea.

Before we finish, you probably have some questions,

1. When?

When we told you we would only release the game when it’s ready, we meant it. We’re definitely much closer to a release date than we were back then but it’s still not the time to confirm anything, so patience is still required. Quality is the only thing that drives us. It’s the beauty of being an independent studio and your own publisher.

2. How big?

Seriously big, but… to be honest, we have no bloody clue at this point in time. Once we put it all together, we will openly tell you what you can expect. And we promise we’ll do this before we start talking about pre-orders or ask anything of you.

3. Free DLC/Expansions/DRM

Nope.

4. Microtransactions?

In Star Citizen? Are you nuts?! Try Macrotransactions!

Once again, thank you for your patience. If you have a minute, do visit robertsspaceindustries.com and share your opinion (about anything) with us. We read everything you posted and will move it to concern if it doesn't fit our narrative.

Yours,

CIG and Roberts Space Industries

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sabreseven posted:

:asoiaf:

Holy loving hell, that may only be a trailer, but holy shitpiss in a paper bag I'm seriously loving intrigued.

God drat, just :drat:

Makes even the most polished of CIG's 'trailers' look absolutely amateur in art, direction, asthetics, imagination, even sound choice.

It’s only year 6! It’s only $187 million! And Chris Roberts is going to make you feel emotions never produced by a game before!

Like more than this even.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

CrazyLoon posted:

hello reddit

Some days it feels like you need to post on twitter and reddit to be able to have a conversation here. I think the pages are more filled with screenshots than anything now. :)

Whatever kicks the can down the road for people! :shepspends:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

what if i told you we could ship star citizen right now as a body horror psycho thriller. we only need to kickstart another 100 million USD

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 11, 2018

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I know :reddit: loves to poo poo on Frontier but they're playing a game soon to be launched now on livestream, and... no crashes yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttp3i_12Y6Y

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also it looks fun and it has jeff goldblum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Frank_Leroux posted:

As somebody who played through the original trilogy multiple times, I can safely say that the prospect of leaving behind the galaxy that I'd just spent three goddamn games tooling around in was not attractive. I never even thought about picking up ME: Andromeda once I'd heard the premise. I don't know how many 'lost sales' I represent, but I'm sure it's not insignificant.

Oh, and Star Citizer Delenda Est.

I was eager for it because I've been waiting for a good spiritual successor to Starflight for a long time.

It's funny though because the bigger and more powerful computers get, I feel like more corners are cut with programming and the worlds themselves are getting smaller.

I feel like, and I'm probably partially incorrect, in that when computers could be made to have more performance, creative programming took a nose dive. You didn't need to optimize anything anymore because your optimization was like .000000001 of a nothingth in the game you're building. The problem is they did this everywhere, and all those nothingths have added up to a substandard product relying on the computer to be better than their algorithms and make up for the cycles.

"Just get a better computer."

The worst part of this is that, of lots of people, even back in the 90's, Chris Roberts and his games were some of the worst transgressors here. And it was always funny because he built a game that could barely run, using the graphics of that day, and blamed computers. But when computers caught up, his game was still using that old technology, so nobody cared about playing it anymore.

I would love to see a modern rendition of Starflight happen (I might have to make it myself). I'd also like to see people like CIG making excuses for their terrible coding practices, and blame users hardware for their ineptitude.

Everybody laughed and mocked Derek when he blamed German drivers for causing poor performance in his games. CR is doing the same thing except on a much bigger scale, even going so far as to shill for Intel and trying to convince people the game will magically work great on this top of the line technology.

Of course it will work better. Everything you run on it will work better. But if you are at the start (lol @ 7 years of development still being the start, btw) of your project and you're getting sub-20 FPS performance and much, much worse, you're in big trouble.

The more you add to the game will not make it faster, it's a downhill slope. You need to weigh your resources against your performance. All this should have been done already in a design document. But it was not, obviously.

From a project management position, this project should have been killed years ago. It should have been reworked years ago. The problem with that though is CR would need to stop selling new ships to people and hurt his bottom dollar in order to focus on actually making a product.

Sadly in SCs case, the product is the sales, not the game. That's why the can is being kicked down the road as long as humanly possible. Performance is going to continue to tank unless they do some serious think tanking on how to do these things.

So I guess backers can ask themselves, given the current horrible performance of the game that is widely known to be virtually unplayable:

Is CIG more interested in building more ships, and hacking in more unique mechanics for these ships to make them appealing to sell? This will continue to degrade the overall performance of the game, while making changes to anything more than visual stuff or random stats very difficult implement.

Or

Is CIG going to stop sales, refactor their system basically from ground up and make a solid base structure that actually works and people have a shot at enjoying some day? This will result in a core that hopefully is more extensible given the knowledge CIG has today, hopefully building a pipe that they can interact with for adding new features. (This is basically taking what CIG has built up to today and how they implemented it as the "design document" per se, so they can at least retool given what they know their current feature set is supposed to have)

One of those choices leads to a game that may work on something today. The other choice fills pockets with money, and does not lead to a game, or at the very most leads to a mostly broken, bloated product with terrible performance.

Which choice do you think CR is going to go with? (ps: he's already made this choice, a few years ago, but feel free to answer in your head)