Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

Ryuujin posted:

Speaking of regeneration, when I saw that mentioned in the anime recently, and watched some theory videos about other stuff that we have gone over in the past, it made me wonder something.

So the theory goes that the doctor that said Deku had no quirk was the same doctor in the shadows talking with All For One. And that he may have been helping AFO steal quirks. The theory goes on that maybe Deku originally had a quirk and that it was stolen. The bit with the x-ray could have been a lie to mislead the family, or just a random x-ray shown to imply that Deku still had the extra joint.

The theory may have some merit, but what interested me was when I thought about the comment that if only they had gotten the regeneration quirk sooner. Of course it doesn't say how recently they acquired the regeneration quirk, but if it was years ago then perhaps it actually came from Deku? After all regeneration is a quirk that might not really be noticeable, unless you get injured a lot. It didn't really seem like Deku got hurt a lot before the whole no quirk medical consultation.

Of course depending on when AFO and All Might fought, and when that medical consultation was, and when AFO gained the regeneration quirk could completely negate the theory.

I just thought it was interesting, because a regeneration quirk would have been rather insane with One For All.

If Deku had one and lost a quirk I hope it was something terrible that's a complete non-combo with One-for-All.

Like he becomes made of stone. Inanimate, unthinking, plain old stone for exactly 5 minutes.
Ability to breathe CO2 instead of oxygen.
His ring finger is always the perfect size for whatever ring he's putting on.

Just something that would have inherently ruined his chances to be a functional hero such that actually losing it and thinking he was quirkless worked out better for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

E. Revenant posted:

If Deku had one and lost a quirk I hope it was something terrible that's a complete non-combo with One-for-All.

Like he becomes made of stone. Inanimate, unthinking, plain old stone for exactly 5 minutes.
Ability to breathe CO2 instead of oxygen.
His ring finger is always the perfect size for whatever ring he's putting on.

Just something that would have inherently ruined his chances to be a functional hero such that actually losing it and thinking he was quirkless worked out better for him.

Power to make shirts with the names of different articles of clothing printed on them look like those other kinds of clothing to other people. Everyone else thinks Deku has an extensive wardrobe, Deku thinks he has an eclectic and quirky sense of style.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why is there only one doctor in the entire world, then?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The power to not have or respect magnet powers.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

why is there only one doctor in the entire world, then?

It's more that Deku's doctor and the shadowy doctor look similar, in as far as we can tell what the latter looks like.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly, I would hate that twist because it would undermine everything about Deku.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
His quirk is being able to cry ten times as much as a normal person without getting dehydrated.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

Approaching the climax of the series

"Gasp! You're that doctor!"

"Indeed! I have been using my job to serve All For One, stealing the Quirks of children and telling them they were Quirkless!"

"What?! But that means... I HAD a Quirk?"

"Ah, no. You were always a Quirkless little poo poo."

"oh :saddowns:"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I've also seen some people theorize that they're using children to make nomu and Deku being quirkless might have inadvertently saved him from a similar fate.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's stupid. the only person confirmed to have become a noumu was an adult petty criminal.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's stupid. the only person confirmed to have become a noumu was an adult petty criminal.

There's some implications that children are involved in some way with the nomu, the winged bully from Deku's childhood was implied to have some connection to the winged nomu in Hosu and High End's first appearance in the last chapter seemed to be at some kind of child care center.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Horikoshi outright responded to a question about why the winged noumu went for Deku with a picture of the winged kid, so, yeah. He is not being subtle there.

Also apparently some side material or whatever gave both the winged kid and Deku's doctor the same family name, which is not only yet another sign that the doctors look the same because they are the same, but also that said doctor is just, like, super evil, even by the standards of people who would help make noumus and all.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Also that kid only showed up in Deku's childhood flashbacks, so he vanished sometime between then and middle school.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Tekne posted:

Hawks is a lot more versatile than I was expecting. Endeavor's new techniques are baller, but I want to see what High End can do. Intelligence and multiple quirks are cool, combining them would be even cooler.

The internet is too fast.

Is this from the anime? Looks crazier than the manga version. I have only watched the Deku vs Muscular fight from the new season so far and it was so good. It blows me away how well they convey the tone of the source material.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Thoren posted:

Is this from the anime? Looks crazier than the manga version. I have only watched the Deku vs Muscular fight from the new season so far and it was so good. It blows me away how well they convey the tone of the source material.

the anime is WAY better than the manga at portraying action

it also usually rearranges the segments where we cut between a bunch of different viewpoints in way better ways - the final exams are much more well paced in the anime

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
that gif alone makes me wanna finally get around to the anime

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I mean, next week is United States of Smash. If you ain't watching that then shame on you.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
even if the doctor is stealing quirks he's probably not doing so until after the quirks develop a bit and there's some understanding of them. evidenced by the fact that the wing kid made it to elementary school at least.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Elfgames posted:

even if the doctor is stealing quirks he's probably not doing so until after the quirks develop a bit and there's some understanding of them. evidenced by the fact that the wing kid made it to elementary school at least.

The wing kid was made into a noumu, not quirk stolen. Different cases.

Besides, AfO very explicitly doesn't care about the quirk's development. He rejects stealing Best Jeanist's specifically because he's developed it so far to do what he does. He wants simple easy to use poo poo.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Patware posted:

the anime is WAY better than the manga at portraying action

it also usually rearranges the segments where we cut between a bunch of different viewpoints in way better ways - the final exams are much more well paced in the anime

The anime makes the action more kinetic and entertaining, for sure. Occasionally it also fills in the blanks (like against Muscular, you never see Deku's final hit connect in the manga). I still think Horikoshi is excellent at framing and following action, though.

Go back and take a look at how he shows Bakugo's liftoff in the manga, for example. At the end of one chapter he shows it from above, from the viewpoint of Deku & co. At the beginning of the next chapter he shows it from the ground, from the view of the VA. Combined it shows you exactly what happened and why it was necessary to do that to get Bakugo out of there.

The anime, on the other hand, embellished it so much you're kind of left wondering why Bakugo didn't just rocketjump himself out of there with how far he travels. It looks cool as gently caress and I'm gonna go watch it again because it owns, but I still appreciate how the manga frames the action most of the time. It really sells most of the goings-on from a believability standpoint.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's my take here. Not only is the timing suspicious but Hawk's emphasis on appearances (popularity) throw up a red flag to me, in addition to his stated end goal being, basically, to turn Endeavor into another All Might (a hero who stops crime by simply existing, allowing other heroes to take it easily.)

Which y'know, is a step back.

Or in other words: if Endeavor is starting to look like the new All Might, then Hawks is starting to look like the new Endeavor. Only instead of wanting to be #1, Hawks just wants to be lazy.

Heroes being lazy and not having to risk life and limb on a daily basis is a good thing, actually

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yeah I dunno how you could misread a situation that bad as hearing Hawks say "I want a #1 hero that inspires us all to do better because I dream of a world where it's peaceful enough that Heroes aren't needed." and think "This guy's just being selfish."

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Supremezero posted:

Besides, AfO very explicitly doesn't care about the quirk's development. He rejects stealing Best Jeanist's specifically because he's developed it so far to do what he does. He wants simple easy to use poo poo.

1.) nomus are made by stiffing a bunch of stolen qurks into 1 body

2.) it's useful to know if your healing power is going to work by repairing things or reversing time until you blink out of existence

there's a difference between a quirk that needs a high degree of skill to use and figuring out what a quirk actually does

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Even if he is being selfish, it's selfishness which would require significant social improvement to really manifest. It'd be like someone earnestly only wanting universal healthcare because they personally cannot afford insurance otherwise and having no concern for anyone else, but still becoming a highly public and influential activist to make that happen. It's a good think regardless.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Even if he is being selfish, it's selfishness which would require significant social improvement to really manifest. It'd be like someone earnestly only wanting universal healthcare because they personally cannot afford insurance otherwise and having no concern for anyone else, but still becoming a highly public and influential activist to make that happen. It's a good think regardless.

Yeah even if his motivation for wanting to make a better world is entirely selfish that's not a bad thing. Stain was in fact, wrong about what makes a hero good. In fact, the heroes that are almost suicidely selfless and self-sacrificial kind of get routinely called out on how "Hey no that's a really hosed up way to live and you're only gonna hurt yourself doing it." Even All Might realized he was teaching Deku the wrong lessons doing that (after being called on it by other teachers and his own mentor)

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Think about who Hawks is talking to there: Mr. leader in cases solved. Do you think that Endeavor wakes up every day hoping nothing happens? No, he wants poo poo to pile on his resume, and up until this point he probably hasn't thought into it any further than that. He's reactionary, and missing the bigger picture. His goal up until recently was just to surpass All Might while not at all understanding anything about him.

Hawks' take is that a boring day on the job equals a peaceful society, which is an aspirational long-view goal - not laziness.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Supremezero posted:

Did the anime cut the part where AfO specifically says that he doesn't want Jeanist's quirk because it needs a lot of proficiency to become so strong so it wouldn't fit Shigaraki's personality?

E: wait this isn't the anime thread how are we confused about AfO's stance on Best Jeanist

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shere posted:

The anime makes the action more kinetic and entertaining, for sure. Occasionally it also fills in the blanks (like against Muscular, you never see Deku's final hit connect in the manga). I still think Horikoshi is excellent at framing and following action, though.

Go back and take a look at how he shows Bakugo's liftoff in the manga, for example. At the end of one chapter he shows it from above, from the viewpoint of Deku & co. At the beginning of the next chapter he shows it from the ground, from the view of the VA. Combined it shows you exactly what happened and why it was necessary to do that to get Bakugo out of there.

The anime, on the other hand, embellished it so much you're kind of left wondering why Bakugo didn't just rocketjump himself out of there with how far he travels. It looks cool as gently caress and I'm gonna go watch it again because it owns, but I still appreciate how the manga frames the action most of the time. It really sells most of the goings-on from a believability standpoint.
well it's a Nakamura cut. The Deku Vs Todoroki fight was amazing but everyone in the audience should've looked like that massively owned skeleton from Pompeii because a shower of debris went flying everywhere. It's just because it looked cool.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Eej posted:

Did the anime cut the part where AfO specifically says that he doesn't want Jeanist's quirk because it needs a lot of proficiency to become so strong so it wouldn't fit Shigaraki's personality?
Sort of. He says that because it's strong because of practice instead of raw power, it doesn't suit his purposes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He explicitly states that it wouldn't suit Shigaraki.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah I dunno how you could misread a situation that bad as hearing Hawks say "I want a #1 hero that inspires us all to do better because I dream of a world where it's peaceful enough that Heroes aren't needed." and think "This guy's just being selfish."
"Once I set my mind on wanting something, I just can't hold myself back. It's my nature." "I want you, the #1 hero to become the leader that we can rely on!" "I just want to take it easy."
That's an awful lot of 'I want' in there. I just call it how I see it.

And selfishness isn't inherently a bad thing either. If Hawks is sincere, that's a good selfishness. I doubt his sincerity though.

Countblanc posted:

The end goal is fine but the methodology is something I suspect. To me, Hawk's pretty much going up to Endeavor and saying 'i want you to be another All Might.' Which even All Might is like 'dude Endeavor, you're not me. you don't have to be me. in retrospect what i did was actually kind of stupid. find your own answer.'

That combined with the juxtaposition of a demonstration of his heroing leading into his account of following up on Noumu rumors (in which he did not find anything on them) and the sudden Noumu attack makes me suspect his sincerity.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

"Once I set my mind on wanting something, I just can't hold myself back. It's my nature." "I want you, the #1 hero to become the leader that we can rely on!" "I just want to take it easy."
That's an awful lot of 'I want' in there. I just call it how I see it.

Also in this comic Deku saying "I want to be a hero that saves everyone." A selfish child.

It's a bad read on the character.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

The end goal is fine but the methodology is something I suspect. To me, Hawk's pretty much going up to Endeavor and saying 'i want you to be another All Might.' Which even All Might is like 'dude Endeavor, you're not me. you don't have to be me. in retrospect what i did was actually kind of stupid. find your own answer.'

bear in mind that the amount of people who have come to the realization that the Symbol of Peace strategy was super flawed is extremely small. Hawks is likely intentionally here to display the viewpoint of people who have had their lives drastically approved by it, given that we've only ever had the perspective of people around All Might. to that end, even though we have been loudly exposited at that it is, in the end, not a good thing, Hawks is completely outside that and has no reason to know that even All Might has realized hero society needs a better way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Why? Class B is better.

Monoma is basically the real hero.

I would unironically rather the protagonist of a series like this have Monoma's powers, just because it opens the door to a lot more creativity in fights.

Fabricated posted:

It's basically becoming a larger and larger tragedy that he never became a hero. It's clear that with good mentors and continued development of his quirk that he could have been at the minimum a really good rescue hero

Koichi's powers are basically objectively superior to Ingenium's, and Ingenium is a top ranked hero.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 10, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MY BOY DEKU BETTER BE IN JUMP FORCE

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Waffleman_ posted:

HE'S GETTING HIS OWN FIGHTING GAME

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

GOKU GOT HIS OWN FIGHTING GAME 5 MONTHS AGO

DEKU CAN HAVE TWO

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

All Might is gonna look so loving weird in that game's style.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rhonne posted:

All Might is gonna look so loving weird in that game's style.

I feel like the style would fit him better than everyone else shown so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Koichi's powers are basically objectively superior to Ingenium's, and Ingenium is a top ranked hero.

eeeeeh having to have an arm on the ground makes it more awkward to fight even if he's faster and can do more stuff with directional force. i'd say they're about equal.