Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
AND IT'S OUT RIGHT NOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If somoneone has checked yet I'm assuming Survival mode is just 1 life or much fewer resources or something?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

someone play the dlc and tell me if its good thanks

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Jerusalem posted:

The new achievements give the impression there is definitely some kind of story element in there.

Yeah, looks like a minor one. The Steam page description makes it pretty clear what they're going for.

quote:

Live. Die. Adapt. Escape!
Escape TranStar’s moon base before the Typhon threat takes over. A simple goal, but one with hundreds of viable solutions. In Mooncrash, players will experience an all-new, infinitely replayable, ‘rogue-lite’ campaign with ever-changing enemies, weapons and objectives against a constantly increasing alien threat.

Survive How You Want with Who You Want
Unlock multiple characters as you play, each with their own set of specialized, upgradable skills. Will you forge your path with the resourceful engineer Joan, trade that wrench in for Security Officer Bhatia and his shotgun, or will you choose the frail-but-gifted Andrius and his arsenal of psychic abilities? Prey is about choices, and those choices belong to you.

Search for Secrets, Loot…and a Way Off
Arkane Studios’ talent for detail and story-rich environments comes alive in Mooncrash. As you explore the station, which is the same size and scope of four levels of the original game’s Talos I station, don’t forget to keep your eyes peeled for precious supplies – and, of course, Mimics.

I get why they made this, but it just doesn't look like Bethesda understood why people loved the game. The combat systems and enemy encounters were my least favorite part of Prey. I don't really care about unlocking characters or finding sweet loot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

friendly 2 da void posted:

I get why they made this, but it just doesn't look like Bethesda understood why people loved the game.

Or Arkane were given a modest budget, and this is what made the most sense.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Playstation store needs to update right the hell now so I can buy the dlc.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah I gotta say I'm also not really feeling this one. The cynic in me can't help but remember that Arkane's president left not too long after Prey released to not amazing sales.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I guess I'm just a weirdo but I find blasting aliens with powers and stuff to be pretty enjoyable.

Really though I'm just happy this game got any update at all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This seems pretty fun, but I love both Roguelikes/lites and immersive sims.

Also Caves of Qud has shown me a proc-generated world can have deep worldbuilding.

Also they're not saying map design is random, but that objectives, enemies and loot is.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Even with the update I can't bring myself to replay Prey. It's utterly fantastic and I loved my first playthrough but I just had to save everyone I could and doing all that again would be a pain. I can't bring myself to not help the crew members.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Mooncrash isn't what I was expecting, but I'm gonna buy it anyway because I'm sure it'll be fun and I'm glad the game even got any extra content after launch. New game+ should be fun as well.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
On the bright side, the DLC is the third highest on the top sellers list on Steam right now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Accordion Man posted:

On the bright side, the DLC is the third highest on the top sellers list on Steam right now.

Playstation store hasn't even posted it yet, so I'll just grab it tomorrow after work.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySVBHI2OeAg

is that a laser sword at 2:39

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

smashed the download button so loving hard. gonna play some on twitch with no commentary

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I don't even know what this DLC is about but it doesn't even matter. New content for Prey, which is one of the best games I've played in a long time, is great. Smashed the buy and download so fast.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I didn't even read the description or watch the trailer but heard there were updates and DLC. Will post a trip report tomorrow.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Buying the DLC at least proves I care about Prey to Bethesda's overlords so Arkane can keep on making stuff. I like roguelite stuff too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looking forward to impressions.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I'll be honest, if Arkane just released a 'Pay Us $20 So Bethesda Doesn't EA Us' DLC I'd strongly consider buying it. Getting more content is just icing on the cake.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
wait what it's out?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wait what it's out?

When do you think now is? Then?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This dlc loving owns. I was having a lot of fun with it then it dawned on me that this door was open and this character had no items because my last character had looted them blew my mind.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cojawfee posted:

When do you think now is? Then?

What happened to then?
We passed it.
When?
Just now.
When will now be then?
Soon.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Looking forward to impressions.

After an hour, it's nothing like the original game but there is something cool here in the form of a roguelike; the idea is eventually to unlock all 5 characters and get off the Moon with all of them in one single run. It looks like when all is said and done it might take an hour to do the final run with all 5? I got through the first character and the first death with the second character in about an hour. It's fun!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Pretty impressive first day sales when all the game newz sites I read totally overlooked the announcement (and only one of the handful touched on the next Wolfenstein)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, it's a roguelike thing... well, that's alright too I guess.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So tempted and I prob will like it. Multiple unlockable characters to be.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I see no impressions so far.

-the area is the same every run, the enemies are slightly different.
-there are x characters to unlock. You unlock new story / characters by doing objectives.
-you keep neuromods installed between runs, not the implant item though. or any items.
-it's not bullshit hard or anything, it's really fun
-you get credits at the end of every run. you can spend these on a new run, getting your character new starting weapons and items. (pistol etc vs wrench)

I am loving LOVING it. I have only unlocked the second character so far. This is just what I needed. I'm not super into roguelikes (don't play any of the lovely graphics ones like dwarf fortress etc) but I do like don't starve, and I love prey and this DLC. Please buy it!

edit: the first character is 'frail but good at psi'. I think he has lower HP. Haven't noticed anything else about him.

redreader fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 11, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So is it short? I figured for 20 bucks but I got prey for 20 bucks and it was a pretty long game. It sounds like you make it longer after you unlock more characters as one achievement is complete the simulation with all five characters in the same run. It's installing so I haven't tried it yet.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Impressions from an hour's worth or so:

- It's cool to be back in this setting, it's true. Mimics are still clever and scary.
- It's very odd about what is kept between different playthroughs. Like, on the second character's run in the same "simulation," some of the corpses you previously looted will still be clean but others have straight-up shotguns on them both times. And then there's a new recording by a body and a moon shark digging around? Woof.
- Definitely some new survival-related mechanics which are a mixed bag--you can get stuck in straight-up doomed situations like how I got a bleed status causing me damage when jumping/sprinting, while needing to run for my life across a field, and definitely no way of clearing the status. First run through is especially bad about this because you don't have access to spending your points on a decent starting kit like a pistol.

I definitely get the sense that to solve the game, you'll need to be judicious about what you pick up, but be sure to use whatever you do--which is a good way to fight my hoarding tendencies in games like this.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 11, 2018

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
On my first run, one of the mimics in the first place you encounter mimics, was a greater mimic. I died really soon after starting it.

For the other question by someone else.
The first run can be done in about 40-50 minutes, 1:30 for a completionist. Then new areas unlock.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Game just crashed on me after my first death and attempted restart. I dig the idea of being able to pick up where you died if you've already unlocked another character but if you haven't done that, being given the option to spend points earned to better equip your character right from the start.

Hearing the music on the loading screen again when first starting up after so long was such a thrill :)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Roguelike poo poo, eh. That's really not what I wanted out of more Prey, sorry Arkane.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah this is like the exact opposite of what I was hoping for. But it's cool that they're trying something new I guess.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well I found the neruomod plans randomly and now I can buy more of them at the start of each mission. Well gently caress thats gonna open things wide open.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Impressions: Very cool so far, except the bleed status effect absolutely kills runs. It should just expire naturally, seeing as you're already on a time limit and waiting it out would actually have a significant opportunity cost.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

orcane posted:

Roguelike poo poo, eh. That's really not what I wanted out of more Prey, sorry Arkane.

I’m guessing they weren’t given the money for a full expansion. That or they’re working on a sequel or something. This is probably a reflection of what they were given and I’m pretty happy they did something interesting with it. Prey deserves the love.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Pathos posted:

I’m guessing they weren’t given the money for a full expansion. That or they’re working on a sequel or something. This is probably a reflection of what they were given and I’m pretty happy they did something interesting with it. Prey deserves the love.

This is really good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

redreader posted:

This is really good, though.

I haven’t played it yet but I bought it the minute it was announced. I’m glad it’s good - I can’t wait to try it. Prey was easily one of my favorite games of the last 5 years. Easily.