Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If this game really is set in West Virginia then I'm hoping you get to run into four ghouls named Justin, Travis, Griffin, and Clint who are all off on an adventure.

This would be all right.

Not really looking forward to this game. I have quite enough multiplayer games competing for my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
They left it so completely vague about what the experience would be like if you played it "solo". I am expecting the worst.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Liquid Communism posted:

Hold up.

That's a West Tek bag. As in the company that the BOS worked with before Mariposa.

Good catch

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
All Fallouts are good, even the bad ones.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Taerkar posted:

Indeed, you'd never launch a nuke in any of the past games.

We've already established 3 and 4 are bad.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is literally running on the Fallout 4 engine with a graphics tweak. The interface is nearly identical.

Which suggests those ICBMs are probably going to crash people out of the game from graphics lag, if how FO4's engine responds to Fat Man shots is any indication.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:yeah:

Even FO1/2 deserve some credit.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i think people expecting fallout new vegas 2 should have stopped caring about this when obsidian confirmed they weren't involved

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I only watched the trailer so where are we getting the base building from? That one shot with 3 people(?) pressing F to play music?

The only thing I saw was a 4v4 shooter with Fallout guns...and the Fallout engine. Sure F4 was better than F3/NV for gunplay but it's no new DOOM. I wonder who owns the engine to new DOOM anyway...

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

President Ark posted:

i think people expecting fallout new vegas 2 should have stopped caring about this when obsidian confirmed they weren't involved

They will never be satisfied.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This would be all right.

Sadly, No NPCs (besides the quest giving Overseer) means no chance of McElroy Voice acting.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

by that logic brotherhood of steel on xbox was a good game and sorry i can't stop laughing at the thought

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I only watched the trailer so where are we getting the base building from?

For your convenience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxGorVTMDIU&t=8818s

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

by that logic brotherhood of steel on xbox was a good game and sorry i can't stop laughing at the thought

That's not a real Fallout.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Sadly, No NPCs (besides the quest giving Overseer) means no chance of McElroy Voice acting.

I'm not sure about that. Howard may have been talking about vault dwellers rather than every npc.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

brotherhood of steel on xbox was a good game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

They've been caring for 8 years, they're not gonna stop caring now!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I will only accept that there are no NPCs when people get payed to RP the super mutants I'm killing.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

It sucks that it's online, but I'll be getting it just because I can explore my home state post-nuclear war and they've included the freaking deathtrap known as CAMDEN PARK. That place's rides were ancient when I was a kid.

I imagine post-nuclear fallout WV won't be much different than it is now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

The worst part of every Fallout since the original is how utterly awful their writing/gameplay/graphics are and how there's not nearly enough of them for me to pour an additional 1000 hours into.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Taerkar posted:

They will never be satisfied.

Or like, they could just get a vaguely competent writer and it'd probably be fine, the issue with 4 was that the map was good, they made the shooty poo poo better and then somehow made the writing worse than ever.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

President Ark posted:

i feel like a lot of people would've learned to live with just more fallout 4 and this isn't even that

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Yardbomb posted:

We've already established 3 and 4 are bad.

The only good Fallout game is Wasteland.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Also the best change of FO76 is that the scopes on the pipe guns aren't literal trash and pipe guns look much more respectable.

It was an eye opener to use an fully modded automatic pipe rifle with tons of 38 caliber ammo early in my last run. The run before I was counting individual shots of 10mm and .308 ammo because those were used in ~proper~ guns and not trashy woodguns which I categorically shunned.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Rinkles posted:

I'm not sure about that. Howard may have been talking about vault dwellers rather than every npc.

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1006003558502752256

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

i think some people are in the denial stage of grief right now, the only npc friendly character in any of the stuff we've seen is the overseer's voice. If there were NPCs and towns full of NPCs why wouldn't they be in the E3 gameplay trailer?

also tweet above me lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

They need to release regular gameplay showcasing how it's similar and how it differs from FO4, pronto.

uh... ghouls and AI aren't people right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

They left it so completely vague about what the experience would be like if you played it "solo". I am expecting the worst.
They really didn't want to outright say 'there is no traditional single-player experience' like in the other games, but everything they said after that in the explanation of the game makes it clear that it's only online and you aren't going to be able to play completely by yourself. I'm not sure how there's going to be much to the game besides base-building, exploring the map/killing mutants, and PvP if there are no AI NPCs.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

They really didn't want to outright say 'there is no traditional single-player experience' like in the other games, but everything they said after that in the explanation of the game makes it clear that it's only online and you aren't going to be able to play completely by yourself. I'm not sure how there's going to be much to the game besides base-building, exploring the map/killing mutants, and PvP if there are no AI NPCs.

'emergent gameplay'

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's Sea of Thieves.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There are clearly monsters to kill and places to explore (and probably loot). Doesn't look like it allows for a lot of character variety though, with the multiplayer nature of it. It looks like you can either run & gun or run & gun.

It's me, I'm the stealth sniper in every Bethesda game. :sigh:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
So it looks like it's 4 person co-op.

If no one is online then what, people just stroll into your camp and dismantle your poo poo?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm starting to think GTAO is a good comparison, with some added survival component.

I really have to laugh that they are tying the beta to preorders without bothering to mention this during the conference.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm starting to think GTAO is a good comparison, with some added survival component.

I really have to laugh that they are tying the beta to preorders without bothering to mention this during the conference.

wait, i thought the beta was free

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well hopefully the map ends up being detailed with lots of cool environmental storytelling because I guess we aren’t going to get story or quests.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was just thinking to myself, if the game is good the beta will be open, if its bad they'll make you pay for it early access style.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Oh man

They didn't specify "no microtransactions" for this one did they

Fuuuuuuuck

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm extremely excited for a Fallout I can play with my friends that will definitely be updated regularly. I agree it looks similar to GTAO. I'd like to hear more about the base stuff though.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Did they specify how exactly the dedicated servers are handled? Are players placed in a random dedicated server with ~40-50 players, or does it do some kind of weird instancing like Absolver did? How many players are in a single world anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

LazyDivey posted:

It sucks that it's online, but I'll be getting it just because I can explore my home state post-nuclear war and they've included the freaking deathtrap known as CAMDEN PARK. That place's rides were ancient when I was a kid.

I imagine post-nuclear fallout WV won't be much different than it is now.

Holy gently caress I grew going to Camden park and it has some of the scariest, most rickety, and worst maintained rides of any park I've been to.

It already does look like it would fit in the setting now.

edit: the mascot isn't the same clown one

One of the rides caught fire there in 2013

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 11, 2018