Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mad Madison is on the couch, so unless there was a dumpster full of asbestos in the stadium they've now killed off all but 2 off the first season characters...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

JossiRossi posted:

This was the Gimplest episode yet, including but not limited to over use of slowmo, characters changing motivations entirely due to a single sentence, zombies stopping their attack while characters watch some vids, anemic fighting scenes, poor choices in approaching danger, and a return to the mistaken idea that the Mad Crew were protagonists. Like can you use the term Heel Turn when it's a bad person suddenly turning good for no reason? Cause Madison just turned good out of the blue after having remorselessly killed the Otto family.

I am so disappointed that the promise and improvements of season 3 were rolled back and seemingly erased.

But wait, there's more!

This is only the half season mark

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So the show was set in Mexico and the US Southwest, and had a long term cast. The showrunners leave, Gimple comes in and:

-they jump ahead of years of story just to catch it up to TWD and let Morgan cross over
-they move it hundreds of miles away and leave behind cool stuff like Bartertown
-they bring in a bunch of new cast members
-they kill off most of the original leads
-they don't bring back guys like Salazar, the Indians, etc

Honestly the last time I saw a show change ao much was War of the Worlds back in the 80s. It's like they wanted to make a whole new show.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

‘Hey guys, lets just explain how the stadium fell!’ And show snippets of it in super slo-mo!

Alicia was straight up terrible this episode. ‘Let’s fire grenade launchers and bazookas at an armored car because we shot their friend who they’re just trying to get supplies for’

E: so... everyone is suddenly cool with Charlie now?

Christ the music at the end is terrible. Was that the loving Mountain Goats again?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 11, 2018

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This show was Gimpled so hard.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 11, 2018

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Astroman posted:

So the show was set in Mexico and the US Southwest, and had a long term cast. The showrunners leave, Gimple comes in and:

-they jump ahead of years of story just to catch it up to TWD and let Morgan cross over
-they move it hundreds of miles away and leave behind cool stuff like Bartertown

Honestly the last time I saw a show change ao much was War of the Worlds back in the 80s. It's like they wanted to make a whole new show.

Well it is a whole new show now unfortunately.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
how disappointing

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Ugh it's not just that this was bad, and it was awful, but I've been assuming this whole time the fall of the stadium and Madison being M.I.A would be an interesting story with a twist of some kind that would eventually justify the split timeline and personality changes of the original cast.

Nope, turns out the obvious happened and we've just been dicked around for half a season because the writers' heads are so far up their asses they think the same trash story we've been hatewatching for 8 years was somehow surprising, interesting or plausible. Barely ambulatory munching horde gets past sturdy walls because %reasons%, protagonist dies for hope! But jaded survivors have no hope! Yay Morgan have hope. fffffffffff

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LadyPictureShow posted:

Christ the music at the end is terrible. Was that the loving Mountain Goats again?

It was.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Imagine if TWD had done a couple seasons around Atlanta, then timeskipped 5 years and suddenly we're in Alexandria, but it's flashbacks because it's already fallen. The cast is now Rick, Daryl, Carol, Coral, and Maggie, except they introduce a bunch of new characters. Then we find out Rick died already and Carol dies 4 eps in and we've skipped over years of story with The Governor, Terminus etc and the Negan arc is told in flashback over the first half season.

That's basically what they did here.

They really, really hosed over this show after it's best season.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Astroman posted:

I know right, all of that was a red flag right from the start.

And they ignore all the dam stuff but go and do a flashback anyway?? No wonder Nick's actor wanted off.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Some guy in mexico was really after them after they blew up the dam too. I guess he died?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Remy Marathe posted:

Ugh it's not just that this was bad, and it was awful, but I've been assuming this whole time the fall of the stadium and Madison being M.I.A would be an interesting story with a twist of some kind that would eventually justify the split timeline and personality changes of the original cast.

Nope, turns out the obvious happened and we've just been dicked around for half a season because the writers' heads are so far up their asses they think the same trash story we've been hatewatching for 8 years was somehow surprising, interesting or plausible. Barely ambulatory munching horde gets past sturdy walls because %reasons%, protagonist dies for hope! But jaded survivors have no hope! Yay Morgan have hope. fffffffffff

I hope Scott Gimple gets his balls chewed off by an angry rottweiler

Astroman posted:

Mad Madison is on the couch, so unless there was a dumpster full of asbestos in the stadium they've now killed off all but 2 off the first season characters...

I honestly thought the only redeeming thing in the episode was going to be a shot of Madison, singed but alive, walking down a road or something. But nope.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also I loved why they wanted to kill June.

"We thought you died in the stadium during the attack so like, gently caress you, June."

Within two lines she blamed her for making everyone leave and somehow not convincing them to stay, then immediately said they didn't see her outside in the convoy so assumed she died.

Why the flying gently caress did they hate her then?! She was one of the only people NOT fleeing.

ED: Also ROFL that 4 vehicles couldn't just drive around the Goddamn zombies, loving Gimple, gently caress you Gimple

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The golden era of the show lived and died with Troy.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Why did cop lady feel the need to say "i would have punched you in the cooch" to Alicia?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Wow.

loving snuff out any loving hope of a good program, Gimple.

Look, I'm still here for Shannon (Until she goes to the Island), Dharma, Strand & Alicia. But it's pretty dire to watch.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just flipped through it this morning but I was just wondering why did the alicia and crew go to the stadium?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
For Dharma to get some some supplies to save Gunslinger Greg.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Alicia not Al

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

haha that music at the end. kill me now

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Nick knew when it was time to dip

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

moist turtleneck posted:

I just flipped through it this morning but I was just wondering why did the alicia and crew go to the stadium?

They had Charlie with them, and Alicia wanted to murder Naomi for... not dying like a chump at the stadium? Getting separated from everyone else and joining the Vultures because she assumed nobody else had made it?

I don’t even know.

E: I think Alicia thought John and Morgan were also Vultures because they tipped off the Vultures to try and avoid more bloodshed.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 11, 2018

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Tenzarin posted:

Some guy in mexico was really after them after they blew up the dam too. I guess he died?

I thought he lived but don't quote me on that. That MC gang is supposedly running trade routes from California to Texas, so early on this season I expected the vultures would turn out to be just some poor schleps and that the organized, labeled walker tanks were the work of the Proctors.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Fear The Walking Dead: "Wait I thought that was the main character??"

EDIT: lol Madison died because Alicia and Nick didn't just drive the car away

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 11, 2018

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
How and why did Alicia and co climb up into the stands? I thought it was established that the only sensible way to enter the stadium was by driving your truck blindly into the zombie horde on the pitch!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if the cast saw the gimp scripts and asked for a way out or if gimple just wanted to kill them off in dumb enough ways that Walking Dead looked better by comparison

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh and since I was flipping through I felt like madison laying on the ground was an homage to this

https://i.imgur.com/Cr3rynD.gifv

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

For a moment during the episode. I really thought that they might kill off the entire previous cast. Like trying to make a comment on submitting to your darkness, and how going full murder morons ends in death. Would have been pretty neat seeing Strand get shot down, but instead of getting emotional Alicia just doubles down on this mindless murder impulse.

But nope, some dude Alicia doesn't really know says a couple platitudes and her kill switch gets flipped for a while to off.

There were so many moments in the episode, like when Alicia is watching that video, that had it been S3, someone would have killed her.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just got to the morgan/alicia part and my god wtf gimple

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

The golden era of the show lived and died with Troy.

RIP Saint Troy. Had you survived you'd been turned into Beaver from Leave it to Beaver. You died at the perfect time.

ED: Actual Troy would have broken that little girl's neck for killing Nick in 2.5 seconds

Acacia REI posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Fear The Walking Dead: "Wait I thought that was the main character??"

EDIT: lol Madison died because Alicia and Nick didn't just drive the car away

And that her entire town decided to flee their walls by driving directly into a zombie horde

How said zombie horde got inside their vehicles or did any damage or they didn't just drive around them I have no idea.

ED: I still think there's like a 50% chance she's hiding under a dumpster

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
hahahah this whole reenactment is almost satire

*opens gate* drives ten feet into zombies *cross dissolve to some dude screaming at the wheel*

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

actual Troy would still be wearing that little girls head like a hat

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Why in the gently caress would Madison's character do that

And how the gently caress does Alicia think June is to blame

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
This song does not work here why the gently caress did they kill this show

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Lmao what happened to the zombie horde in the stadium being a threat after they mowed the one part down? Hahahaha

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spellman posted:

Nick knew when it was time to dip

Did he decide to leave at the end of last season? Kim Dickens said they told her she was gonna die a month before production. I wonder if that's when Dillane decided to bail? Reading between the lines of the OG cast on the couch, none of them are happy Madison was killed off.

Imagine working with these people day in and day out, think of the main cast last season--the Clarks, Nick's GF, Ofelia, Strand, Salazar, the Dam guys, the Ottos, the Indians--that entire cast was wiped out in the last season and a half except like 3 of them TWD never did such a radical shift. No wonder the actors are pissed.

And if Rick, Michoone, and Carol leave the main show, the franchise will be in a tailspin.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/kt0Ntb7.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/eZRSqez.gifv

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

they've ruined strand

strand with a gun is the absolute weakest way to take the character... him and the reaver queen must have killed or hosed over hundreds, if not thousands of people, and not once did they do it at gun-point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Akumos posted:

Lmao what happened to the zombie horde in the stadium being a threat after they mowed the one part down? Hahahaha

They could have just all smeared themselves in zombie blood and it would have made sense, but they didn't, so it doesn't.

It's weird that they finished the mid-season finale with absolutely no cliffhangers - all the baddies are dead and all the good guys are buddies. The next 8 episodes are now a blank slate for Gimple to gently caress this thing into the ground.

E: Just watched the trailer for the second half and seems like it's gonna be mostly Strand getting drunk, which might be kinda cool.

Tortuga fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 12, 2018

• Locked thread