Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MaxieSatan posted:

Speaking of French North Gharbia and the like, what colonies don't have their own names yet? I feel like they should probably get them at some point.

French North Gharbia could just be called Alaska. I mean, it's literally Alaska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

MaxieSatan posted:

Speaking of French North Gharbia and the like, what colonies don't have their own names yet? I feel like they should probably get them at some point.

I mean just make up names of someone who discovered the region, if we don't have that recorded.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 10, 2018

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
An expanded list of custom events/decisions, including those sent to me:

- Event chain for modernisation of Benin, with several great powers (and us) able to help them
- Early event for the Celtic Empire to adopt a constitution and form the Celtic Union (of Eire-Albain)
- Event chain for France to accept English culture, and form the Dual Monarchy
- A 'War of the Pacific'-type war between the Andean Republic and the Charca Empire.
- Possible mutinies against the Berber Raj
- Possible unions between some of Morocco's colonies, if they achieve independence
- A couple football events once 1900 hits? (need to get that Qadis-Majrit-Barshaluna rivalry going)

Regarding Ibriz and Japan, I'm thinking of giving them some early events that decide what exactly they've been doing? Or maybe roll some dice? Assuming people are all tired of voting after the Congress.

For flags, we have some decent ideas for Al Andalus going, and a bunch for France, Vakhtani, Palermo and Egypt I'll probably be using.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Hashim posted:

Yeah, makes sense. Maybe the tree flag then? Or pomegranates could be used instead of grapes, since it's a strong symbol of Granada, and we actually used it as the flag of Qadis before reforming Al Andalus.

Well here are a few ways you could do a pomegranate:

The first one maintains the three color scheme of green, black and white. The one below it is the same, but with an added crown, which bumps it up to 4 colors. Alternatively you could go for a pomegranate colored pomegranate and play around with that color a bit.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hashim posted:

Regarding Ibriz and Japan, I'm thinking of giving them some early events that decide what exactly they've been doing? Or maybe roll some dice? Assuming people are all tired of voting after the Congress.

Rolling dice is a good method, just make (or steal) a random socio-political-economics table and let the almighty make His choice.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Voting is fantastic. Keep voting, keep flagchatting.

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The era of voting has come to die just as the era of die has come to be born. Roll those bones.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I wonder how big Qadis is in terms of population, mainly because OTL Cadiz had a hard time expanding because of how small of a spit it's on, and the sandy ground made it difficult to build upwards. I suppose it could have just sprawled around the bay, though.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Let's keep voting, we are sure to pick the right... I mean, the most interesting choice.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Clayren posted:

Well here are a few ways you could do a pomegranate:

The first one maintains the three color scheme of green, black and white. The one below it is the same, but with an added crown, which bumps it up to 4 colors. Alternatively you could go for a pomegranate colored pomegranate and play around with that color a bit.

I love the crown version of this, it's suprisingly clean-looking for a fairly busy design.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

habeasdorkus posted:

I wonder how big Qadis is in terms of population, mainly because OTL Cadiz had a hard time expanding because of how small of a spit it's on, and the sandy ground made it difficult to build upwards. I suppose it could have just sprawled around the bay, though.

Qadis was the highest-developed province in the world by the end of EU4, so it'll start vicky with one of the highest populations in Europe, at about 350k.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Are there still going to be events where people move to countries in Gharbia? I could see some of the christian minorities getting out while they can before we do our do to them.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Jeoh posted:

Voting is fantastic. Keep voting, keep flagchatting.

This. What have we ever done to deserve to be disenfranchised? :colbert:

e: I’m also surprised that so many Christians remain in Iberia after all of those years under the Madhi. I would have assumed that they would have fled north to more Christian lands.

Snipee fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 10, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Hashim posted:

- A couple football events once 1900 hits?

this is interesting to me. obviously we don't need to overthink this, but we might as well

so i get the sense that the basic framework of modern team sports was created in the boys' schools of victorian society, when Muscular Christianity became a thing and the ancient art of kids coming up with a game got coopted by adults, placed inside chalk lines, and subordinated to the rules of an adult authority figure who gets to run around and throw people out of the game and stuff. that might as well happen in this 19th century too, and it might as well become a focus for nationalism, regionalism, ideology, petty criminal activity, etc. i wonder how the world pattern of sports would be different without the dominance of england, though?

football became the world's biggest sport because england was sending armies and merchants everywhere, who between them founded clubs in barcelona, buenos aires, milan, tokyo, and more, hence english flags on crests and english words in names (i believe AC Milan is literally named Milan, not Milano, that's a relatively subtle one from the anglophone perspective). the only competing sphere in real world history was the region where people played the games that Americans played, and that only in the pacific and caribbean - we even got shut out of most of South America. i think you can especially see this in samoa, where the island ruled by europeans in the 19th century sends athletes west to play rugby and the island ruled then and now by americans sends athletes east to play american football iirc

there's special sports from Ireland and Canada, you can find things like kabbadi from other cultures, but it seems like it's basically US and UK sports that took over the world in the 19th century. you get the slightest of hints of a sort of third sub-sphere in real life where Australian football is the national sport of Niue, but we live in a bipolar sports world - what if it was multipolar? our world could be multipolar on this note, especially with ibriz being as powerful as they are

maybe a good model would be how Australia and Ireland glued their local forms of football together in a bastardized 'international' form that ultimately just turned into huge fights you can watch on youtube, but on a global scale and with more than two sports bunched together? i don't think it makes any actual difference for the game or the thread, so i'll leave it at that

edit: a couple things are wrong here i know, i think it's nauru not niue and it's called international rules, i'm curious if i'm wrong in my basic thesis tho

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 10, 2018

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Are there still going to be events where people move to countries in Gharbia? I could see some of the christian minorities getting out while they can before we do our do to them.

Migrations will happen naturally, especially from the old world to new world republics, so Ibriz's population should be booming with immigrants. The citizenship policy of our ruling party will also affect migrations, so if our ruling party has Residency as their citizenship policy, then the rate at which non-accepted culture pops emigrate from our nation will increase.

As for religious minorities, there is a chance that they can convert to Sunni Islam, depending on the religious policy of our ruling party. One of our three starting parties will have Moralism as their religious policy, so they'll actively try and spread the state religion to religious minorities.

Snipee posted:

e: I’m also surprised that so many Christians remain in Iberia after all of those years under the Madhi. I would have assumed that they would have fled north to more Christian lands.

There's not really that much, León-Castille's territories are sparsely-populated, I think they only start with about 500k pops. Most of the Iberian Christians are Portuguese, who've been protected by the Majlis for a long time now. A lot of Castilians are Sunni precisely because of the Mahdi, and I also lowered the population of the region to simulate the exodus of a lot of the Christians.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 10, 2018

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Speaking of flag chat, some modest proposals (let me now if there's one you want Hashim, I can export whatever you want as a .tga):

The fascist ones are pretty self explanatory I think. Communist ones are a hammer and a hoe in the first two, the last has a modified 8-pointed star with a color to represent the four cultures of Iberia (red for Portugal, green for Andalusian, purple for Leon-Castillian and gold for Catalan). Republic is not too different, the last one has Catalan crimson in harmony with Andalusian emerald (the Portugese and Leon-Castillians are fairly small minorities compared to Catalans in Iberia).

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

on a more 'mattering at all' note, where is slavery legal? did morocco's colonies keep slavery when they revolted? has ibriz freed everybody down to the isthmus of panama? who owned the caribbean again? might be some event chains to be written there. do any major naval powers have positions on slavery, like the UK did irl? will morocco fight to keep the high seas open for the free trade of human livestock?

edit gently caress in-game pixelmorocco

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 10, 2018

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Figure I would make my own crude flag attempt with my personal hero for this LP, the North sea Kingdom.

Communist.

Republic.

Fascist.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Clayren posted:

Speaking of flag chat, some modest proposals (let me now if there's one you want Hashim, I can export whatever you want as a .tga):

poo poo, all of those look great. I reckon we'll go with the pomegranate-crown for monarchy, either the first or third fascist flags, second or third communist flags, and maybe the third republic flag?

oystertoadfish posted:

on a more 'mattering at all' note, where is slavery legal? did morocco's colonies keep slavery when they revolted? has ibriz freed everybody down to the isthmus of panama? who owned the caribbean again? might be some event chains to be written there. do any major naval powers have positions on slavery, like the UK did irl? will morocco fight to keep the high seas open for the free trade of human livestock?

edit gently caress in-game pixelmorocco

So these were the countries that definitely didn't outlaw slavery by the end of EU4:

- Morocco
- New England
- All of the west African empires (I imagine there's an Atlantic Slave Trade-parallel going on between Morocco, New England and Benin)
- Crusader Egypt
- Smolensk/Russia (I think we can change this to a form of serfdom though)
- Kongo
- Kilwa
- Madagascar
- Hejaz (which rules basically all of Arabia now)

There were a few others, but these are the big ones.

And yeah, France were the first major power to actively begin pushing for the abolishment of slavery abroad, quickly followed up by Al Andalus. I'd say that slavery being abolished is going to be a pretty big part of future peace settlements in vic2 (in return for prestige benefits, of course).

Veris
Jul 5, 2007

More flags
Al Andalus

Green Republic

Scandinavia

Communist

Republic

Fascist

Celt Union

Communist

Republic

Fascist

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Hashim posted:

Migrations will happen naturally, especially from the old world to new world republics, so Ibriz's population should be booming with immigrants. The citizenship policy of our ruling party will also affect migrations, so if our ruling party has Residency as their citizenship policy, then the rate at which non-accepted culture pops emigrate from our nation will increase.

As for religious minorities, there is a chance that they can convert to Sunni Islam, depending on the religious policy of our ruling party. One of our three starting parties will have Moralism as their religious policy, so they'll actively try and spread the state religion to religious minorities.

There's not really that much, León-Castille's territories are sparsely-populated, I think they only start with about 500k pops. Most of the Iberian Christians are Portuguese, who've been protected by the Majlis for a long time now. A lot of Castilians are Sunni precisely because of the Mahdi, and I also lowered the population of the region to simulate the exodus of a lot of the Christians.

I seem to recall the last 100 years right at the dissolution of Al-Andalus and the subsequent wars between mini-states there being a lot of ethnic and religious cleansing going on, usually against Iberia's Christians, but maybe I am mis-remembering.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Veris posted:

Scandinavia

Fascist

We have found the best flag.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I quickly did some (bad) flags for Waono, just a normal and a fascist one. They... could probably be fixed up. I went with blue and white to stand for the ocean and the sand.

Normal

Breadfruit was insanely important to the Polynesian diet. I would think that despite no longer having to rely so heavily on it to survive, what with North American agriculture, it is still an important aspect of their culture, and so that crude breadfruit there is supposed to represent that.

Fascist

My thinking was similar here, but with a very rough outrigger canoe to represent a return to the expansionism of the past. It could probably use some weapons in the blue.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I seem to recall the last 100 years right at the dissolution of Al-Andalus and the subsequent wars between mini-states there being a lot of ethnic and religious cleansing going on, usually against Iberia's Christians, but maybe I am mis-remembering.

The mahadi did a lot, I think, but I don't think anyone else did?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Hashim posted:

poo poo, all of those look great. I reckon we'll go with the pomegranate-crown for monarchy, either the first or third fascist flags, second or third communist flags, and maybe the third republic flag?

So these were the countries that definitely didn't outlaw slavery by the end of EU4:

- Morocco
- New England
- All of the west African empires (I imagine there's an Atlantic Slave Trade-parallel going on between Morocco, New England and Benin)
- Crusader Egypt
- Smolensk/Russia (I think we can change this to a form of serfdom though)
- Kongo
- Kilwa
- Madagascar
- Hejaz (which rules basically all of Arabia now)

There were a few others, but these are the big ones.

And yeah, France were the first major power to actively begin pushing for the abolishment of slavery abroad, quickly followed up by Al Andalus. I'd say that slavery being abolished is going to be a pretty big part of future peace settlements in vic2 (in return for prestige benefits, of course).

Got them all here in this folder:
TGA FILES

Also, New England does have some of the south, so slavery being a big part of their economy would make some sense (although the really intense cotton producing areas of Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia are held by the New World Irish). Cotton production in Carolina, especially if its being shipped to Morocco and Morocco is supplying a steady supply of cheap slaves, may tempt the New England government into expanding westward in much the same way the US government expanded at the expense of Mexico.

Given the long history of being a type of settler colonialist state, I wouldn't be surprised if slavery or at least a very racialized form of indentured bondage existed in Egypt (it'll probably be even worse in the newly created state of Outremer).

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

It was only really the Mahdi who was doing that, which is also why Andalusi culture now pushes up so far north. The rest of the successor states were more focused on just surviving.

Clayren posted:

Also, New England does have some of the south, so slavery being a big part of their economy would make some sense (although the really intense cotton producing areas of Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia are held by the New World Irish). Cotton production in Carolina, especially if its being shipped to Morocco and Morocco is supplying a steady supply of cheap slaves, may tempt the New England government into expanding westward in much the same way the US government expanded at the expense of Mexico.

Given the long history of being a type of settler colonialist state, I wouldn't be surprised if slavery or at least a very racialized form of indentured bondage existed in Egypt (it'll probably be even worse in the newly created state of Outremer).

That's an idea for a couple events, definitely. I could probably give New England a couple CBs to help them expand south, try and seize the cotton-heavy regions before Ibriz can extend their influence there.

As for Egypt, yeah, my thinking's along the same lines. It's probably not very different from OTL Egypt in that sense, they also expanded into the Sudan partly because of its massive slave potential, which they then used to build new professional armies.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I’m grateful that the Mahdi did successfully convert a number of those northern Iberians. Also

Veris posted:

More flags
Al Andalus

Green Republic

Scandinavia

Communist

Republic

Fascist

Celt Union

Communist

Republic

Fascist

All of these flags are glorious, but the fascist Scandinavia flag is especially fantastic.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I cannot read black metal album font for poo poo, what does Scandinavia's fascist flag say?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That seems like a pretty historical spread of slavery, except for the fact that those slave nations also include some of the biggest powers in Europe. We're going to see Morocco industrialize with slavery as the backbone of its labor.

This world is shaping out to be terrible.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

As I recall, the Majlis REALLY WANTED to convert all that minority population within its borders, while the Sultans kept finagling their way around it. Naturally that led to all the separatist rebellions that destroyed the country (after the Majlis destroyed it in a fool's gambit).

I shudder at the prospect of goon-led democracy returning.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this is an atlantic slave trade where benin has a few colonies in south america, right? so that's a bit interesting. what if some anti-slave trade blockade is broken by both the buyer and the seller? a modernized west african empire that's spent the last few hundred years exporting a significant fraction of their population for cash might have some ahistorical influence on the trajectory of slavery

edit: unless we're figuring that the counterclockwise migration of slave sourcing in real history moved out of west africa more quickly than historically since it would've needed to find softer targets, on toward kongo and then around the horn, and/or went through the arab world in a way that wasn't a feature of real life, and benin is just buying slaves from south of their territory for their new world colonies like any civilized nation would

also a unified west african empire would be pretty drat good at football just sayin

a unified west african empire with some brazilian colonies no less

editedit: also i figure the egyptian form of slavery could be generalized better under the smolensk/russia serfdom model than lumping them in with atlantic slave trade nations. just a guess that we're basically talking about the fellahin who've always been working that soil, not any particular imports

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 11, 2018

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Feeling like the flag of New England (as a monarchy) would just be St. George's cross.

Veris
Jul 5, 2007

NewMars posted:

I cannot read black metal album font for poo poo, what does Scandinavia's fascist flag say?

Filthgrave

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I do think it's funny that for all of our low level slugfests, general incompetence, and barely scraping by, Qadis itself is basically the jewel of the world and I believe has gone unsacked for, if not forever, then at least quite a long time?

More than can be said for SOME high and mighty imperial seats of power :smug:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Hashim posted:

Are you sure about religious minorities immigrating to Ibriz? It's a strongly Muslim majority country after all. Seems to me like Christians would much rather move to New England and Muslims to Ibriz.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dance Officer posted:

Are you sure about religious minorities immigrating to Ibriz? It's a strongly Muslim majority country after all. Seems to me like Christians would much rather move to New England and Muslims to Ibriz.

I think people would emigrate to wherever they could find opportunity. I guess that if all else were equal then a christian would rather go to New England, but in this timeline New England is a kinda small country and doesn't have the endless tracts of land to expand into that the US had IRL, whereas Ibriz does have a lot of land available for settlers. Things might be different once industrialization really gets going, though.

Also, as revolutionaries, Ibriz are probably pretty tolerant on the religious front so that might not be as big of a factor.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
There's also all of those ex-Celtic colonies. If you want vast expanses of land, then those have it in spades.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

albionoria might do fine, but anbaila and neimni sund don't seem to have any major metropolitan areas that can finance the improvements needed to make use of its vast tracts of land.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Is Pueblo in NA a native country?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Jack2142 posted:

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Dance Officer posted:

Ibriz became democratic in a revolution of it's own (also it's an ex-Andalusi colony), so I imagine it to be pretty tolerant. There are still a couple other places Christians could migrate to, though, including the Gharbian Republic (New Occitania, after it broke free from Provence).

Jack2142 posted:

Yep. Pueblo, together with the Andean Republic and Charca Empire, are the only native states left in the new world. They're probably not going to survive very long though, with Ibriz right on their border.