Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

signs that i might be trans are becoming hard to ignore. what do i do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

CommunistPancake posted:

i went to a therapist and once a professional took my worries seriously i went from 'being afraid i was being silly or avoiding responsibility' to extremely certain and looking for resources to get started on HRT pretty much immediately

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CommunistPancake posted:

Getting help, like this, is a great first step. My advice is the same as above, see a therapist about it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

CommunistPancake posted:

don't hesitate and start looking at resources

whatever part you are in within your life it is good as time as any

i knew at 24 but didn't bother to do anything until i was 32. i'll be 34 this year

feel free to DM me any questions <3

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"

Lain Iwakura posted:

don't hesitate and start looking at resources

whatever part you are in within your life it is good as time as any

i knew at 24 but didn't bother to do anything until i was 32. i'll be 34 this year

feel free to DM me any questions <3

Therapist really helped me. Make sure they know something about gender issues for real though, I had one lie about it and that was awkward.

Also figuring it out as a teenager and then waiting until you're pushing 30 to transition because 'not meeting absurd criteria' is hecka lame

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tatrakrad posted:

Therapist really helped me. Make sure they know something about gender issues for real though, I had one lie about it and that was awkward.

Also figuring it out as a teenager and then waiting until you're pushing 30 to transition because 'not meeting absurd criteria' is hecka lame

oh my gods yeah. The worst are people who think because you're trans, you have to be either super masculine or super feminine.

That's not the point, dipshit.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Tatrakrad posted:

I've written about it in detail elsewhere. I should have done it in 2009.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
Now I'm just lovely and bitter reading posts by people who transitioned 5 years ago who only figured it out in their mid 20s and therefore missed the 90s/early 2000s gatekeeping

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

p annoyed that arrl field day is the same weekend as pride

again

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

all mentioned, but also don't concern yourself with regret, either over lost time or the possibility of future regret. a study I read had something like, only ~1% of people who transitioned thought it was the wrong decision. you're not wrong about what you feel, cis people generally don't feel poo poo like dysphoria or question so much. seek out professionals and people in the community to talk to

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Arrl doesn't sound like the most queer friendly place, but that could have changed in recent years?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Progressive JPEG posted:

p annoyed that arrl field day is the same weekend as pride

again

activate pride
POTA

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Those antenna masts would be a great place for some flags.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

CommunistPancake posted:

Prepare for endless jokes about striped socks, water bottles, roller derby, witchcraft, pickles, and programming

e: also communism but looks like you’ve got that covered!

EMILY BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 11, 2018

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

it’s always really jarring on boston pride weekend for me pedicabbing pride and then having to go deep into hetero territory to work a sox game. i dress up for pride and i enjoy terrorizing the straights at fenway but it’s such a disconnect going from a joyful place where i’m celebrated to a sea of stares and uncomfortableness.

that’s my job though. i did have some wonderful queer customers so that was nice

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

tasty salt-delivery mechanism to replace salt lost b/c of spiro

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I, too, have encountered the pickles joke

I think I'm supposed to be some shapeless and formless being that appears at will though

How do I become existencequeer

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Poniard posted:

I, too, have encountered the pickles joke

I think I'm supposed to be some shapeless and formless being that appears at will though

How do I become existencequeer

i hear schrodinger often has openings for a new pet

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This is somehow my first exposure to the pickles joke.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

iospace posted:

oh my gods yeah. The worst are people who think because you're trans, you have to be either super masculine or super feminine.

That's not the point, dipshit.

someone joined a place i run and casually said garbage like people who haven't been officially diagnosed w/ it are "appropriating" it, like "you can't just claim you're diabetic". lots of non-binary erasure, too

they were quickly ejected. don't have time for that bullshit

OldAlias posted:

all mentioned, but also don't concern yourself with regret, either over lost time or the possibility of future regret. a study I read had something like, only ~1% of people who transitioned thought it was the wrong decision. you're not wrong about what you feel, cis people generally don't feel poo poo like dysphoria or question so much. seek out professionals and people in the community to talk to

this is a good thing to remember but if you're already in that pit it's really hard to get out of (case in point: myself). doubt is a real piece of poo poo, i tell you what.

a good thing to keep in mind is that being trans doesn't necessarily require that you transition. you're still valid

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The one trans person I'm most familiar with *cough* is the definition of a tomboy.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

thanks for all the advice. anything i can do about finding a decent therapist for this sort of thing in my area, other than just going to a whole bunch until i find a good one?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look for queer community healthcare resources. Non-lgbt catering therapists might be a bit out of their depth and not very helpful, as I found out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

general things to look for when picking a therapist:

- make sure they have an actual degree in psychology. at least in the US, pretty much anyone can call themselves a "counselor" or "therapist". preferably find someone with a phd in some form of psychology or at least a masters, bachelors is probably not quite good enough
- look for one that explicitly advertises working with trans patients and/or gender dysphoria if you can. while someone who just says lgbt-friendly is probably fine in my experience at least once this meant "i've treated gay patients and transpeople are just more of that"
- if you can't find one based on this, go to a local LGBT resource center and ask there, they generally have recommendations or referrals
- do not go to a psychiatrist before seeing a psychologist. a psychiatrist is a medical doctor, and they're great for actually getting prescriptions or checking bloodwork, but they tend to be absolute garbage at therapy. i've found the best way to work with them is to get your psychologist to figure out what's up, then take whatever they said to the psychiatrist to get prescriptions.

e: i just realized you probably wouldn't need to see a psychiatrist at all (though a psychologist definitely) since trans drugs tend to be handled by endocrinologists, sorry i'm used to describing this in the context of "i have clinical depression and need brain drugs"

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 12, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

tbf I dont know any other trans people who arent on anti-depressants or other issue management drugs. Correlation is high. :(

evilcat
May 16, 2009

CommunistPancake posted:

thanks for all the advice. anything i can do about finding a decent therapist for this sort of thing in my area, other than just going to a whole bunch until i find a good one?

Easiest method from what I've heard is to find some lgbt organization in your area and either contact them through the site they probably have or wander in and ask for some contact info for someone.
They usually are primarily volunteer staff and either professionals putting out some volunteer hours or people in training who specifically want to work that field. Depending on your situation as to if this is beneficial or not, but a lot of them also have the billing method of "pay what you can". They will also know about other things going on, like any group therapy sessions or things like an art show that the organization is putting on to give people a creative outlet.
A friend of mine sees someone she found via a trans specific clinic that is run out of her local college (that does not require people to be a student to access).
If you aren't happy with anyone locally there are some who work remotely online but last I remember they weren't exactly cheap and I have no names to give currently that I know are still doing so. Most of the people I know or who are in the community I head up went for diy or informed consent so I am really not up to speed on the various therapist options.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Synthbuttrange posted:

tbf I dont know any other trans people who arent on anti-depressants or other issue management drugs. Correlation is high. :(

I am not, though mostly because my particular traumas aren't really treatable with drugs. Just lots and lots of therapy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/JeremyPoxon/status/1005626792323964928?s=19

i guess i'll be slurry lines

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'm gaseous materials

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I am Lighting Cables. :whatup:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I am alarm or signal lines

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm the electric power lines.

Vibrating 60 times a second.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I'm Proposed Excavation :getin:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Peeny Cheez posted:

I'm Proposed Excavation :getin:

Lmao

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I'm Reclaimed Water.

Don't kinkshame.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Captain Capacitor posted:

I'm Reclaimed Water.

Don't kinkshame.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Please, VHS is so last century.

It's all about streaming now.

:v:

VVVVV Puns are how I hide my pain.

Captain Capacitor fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 14, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

:v:

You're off to a strong start itt kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Digital just doesn't capture the warmth, though.

Analog piss 4ever.