Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

elpaganoescapa posted:

Am I gonna die before another elder scrolls comes out?

If you keep chugging that bleach, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

elpaganoescapa posted:

Am I gonna die before another elder scrolls comes out?

You can get the mobile game this fall!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

what are some good places to go and things to do in New Vegas? Cause yeah I always get out of the starting village, go shoot some guys then end up in New Vegas itself and quit

e: also good mods?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

nopantsjack posted:

I'm kinda mad that Wolfenstein is gonna skip over the 2nd american revolution (i think, i aint seen the trailer)

when they announced wolf2 with the KKK and nazi cops and poo poo i was like "oh man I'm gonna enjoy shooting up yank diners"

then they didn't do that for the whole game, but at the end BJ looks to the camera and is like "hell yeah we're gonna shoot up some yank diners! are you with me?" and I was like "gently caress YEAH!"

now they're like, actually, go infiltrate some more nazi industrial bunkers please

Also kind of sucks that 20 years has gone by and apparently the Nazis are still in power.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The New Vegas main story is good for the first half, where you just find your way into New Vegas having all manner of adventures along the way, it is genuenly fun and interesting.

Then you get into New Vegas, learn that the rest of the game is about factions and all the factions are boring and dumb.

The DLC plot is so much more interesting than the main plot and I'm annoyed that they have nothing to do with the main game.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

nopantsjack posted:

what are some good places to go and things to do in New Vegas? Cause yeah I always get out of the starting village, go shoot some guys then end up in New Vegas itself and quit

The Big MT

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Bholder posted:

The New Vegas main story is good for the first half, where you just find your way into New Vegas having all manner of adventures along the way, it is genuenly fun and interesting.

Then you get into New Vegas, learn that the rest of the game is about factions and all the factions are boring and dumb.

The DLC plot is so much more interesting than the main plot and I'm annoyed that they have nothing to do with the main game.

is that the one where the DLC has an exploding collar? I remember that... vividly

(it was bad)

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

nopantsjack posted:

is that the one where the DLC has an exploding collar? I remember that... vividly

(it was bad)

Every DLC.

Also Dead Money was great because you actually get to explore a spooky pre-war ruin in a Fallout game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

The big difference is the quest design and quest writing.

If you play New Vegas the same way you play Elder Scrolls or Fallout 3/4, it's not going to really seem like anything special. In fact, it'll probably seem barebones by comparison, because it's not a world designed for you to just wander around and constantly stumble on things. Instead, it's designed to house much more intricate and reactive quests than the ones Bethesda likes to make. And the main story is fairly simple--three factions want control of the Hoover Dam because it's a rare source of clean water in the wasteland--because it's extremely reactive. The factions are the main story, and you have a lot of agency as a player in determining how things go for the factions and for the Mojave Wasteland, and that's really cool.

Bethesda's quests tend to be fairly linear and many of them feature basically one meaningful "choice": do the quest or don't do the quest. Maybe, at the end, "do you kill guy or not kill guy," or "do you give quest-giver the MacGuffin or keep it." New Vegas has a ton more going on, with more ways through quests and more points of branching. That means there are fewer quests, but each one has a lot more to explore, and that's what I want out of an RPG.

That's why it's special to me, at least. It's sort of like Fallout 3 but with the addition of some actual roleplaying opportunities. After New Vegas, I just really couldn't find the joy in Skyrim or Fallout 4. At first I thought I just didn't want a "just wander around and discover things" sort of open-world game, but then I loved Breath of the Wild, so maybe I just don't think Bethesda does a very good job of those.

see, this is a good post

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Bholder posted:

Every DLC.

Also Dead Money was great because you actually get to explore a spooky pre-war ruin in a Fallout game

I remember the dlc eventually became interesting, storywise, but god drat that exploding collar bit. It was just basically an area filled with invisible walls but you die if you touch them.

Obsidian is not so good at the gameplay.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

anarchy is good though, do they mean chaos?
yep, it's the age old "TOTAL ANARCHY :supaburn: EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE" trope. New Vegas needs a totalitarian leader, whether that's the billionaire with the robots, the fascist slavers, the new military power or you (with the robots).

RBA Starblade posted:

It's still bullshit that you can't set up a government under the benevolent rule of The Kings.
extremely true

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/RobertHandlery/status/1006063356350902273

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

yep, it's the age old "TOTAL ANARCHY :supaburn: EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE" trope. New Vegas needs a totalitarian leader, whether that's the billionaire with the robots, the fascist slavers, the new military power or you (with the robots).

Not really. The anarchy reigns for a bit and after that New Vegas assumes a position as an independent power in the Mojave.

You might have liked the game more if you paid attention which you apparently didn't do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nopantsjack posted:

I'm kinda mad that Wolfenstein is gonna skip over the 2nd american revolution (i think, i aint seen the trailer)

when they announced wolf2 with the KKK and nazi cops and poo poo i was like "oh man I'm gonna enjoy shooting up yank diners"

then they didn't do that for the whole game, but at the end BJ looks to the camera and is like "hell yeah we're gonna shoot up some yank diners! are you with me?" and I was like "gently caress YEAH!"

now they're like, actually, go infiltrate some more nazi industrial bunkers please
TNC had a very odd ending, I agree. Like they were going to sequel bait but then the ‘sequel’ is just you finishing the Nazi Commander side missions? The game just kind of ended abruptly IMO.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

You might have liked the game more if you paid attention which you apparently didn't do.

I liked the game plenty! I've spent a couple of hundred hours in it just like all the other Bethesda games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

TNC had a very odd ending, I agree. Like they were going to sequel bait but then the ‘sequel’ is just you finishing the Nazi Commander side missions? The game just kind of ended abruptly IMO.

It just flat-out drops a major story arc too, because the god-key never gets even close to resolved. It just goes on Set's desk and he spends the rest of the game going "what the gently caress is this thing?..."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It just flat-out drops a major story arc too, because the god-key never gets even close to resolved. It just goes on Set's desk and he spends the rest of the game going "what the gently caress is this thing?..."

They really setup the game to end on a more proper boss fight. I was fully expecting the return of Mecha-Hitler.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I don't see what is the problem with this. Are you saying that we don't need police or government or anything because people will just get along with each other naturally? I never understood that mentality.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

muscles like this! posted:

Also kind of sucks that 20 years has gone by and apparently the Nazis are still in power.

In the setting, the Nazis conquered most of the world. There was never going to be a quick overthrow. Each game is going to be the story of the slog it takes to chip away at the Nazis until they finally collapse. The first game was finding the tech to stand a chance, the second game was building a resistance core, and now we wait to see what happened going into this game. So far they have been awesome games so they have the benefit of the doubt.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My playthrough of New Vegas was really confusing because I named my character House after TV show that was running at the time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

'country roads' is a good song, that was the only thing bethesda sold me on

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

ok google

buy the car and jacket from cyberpunk trailer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

They really setup the game to end on a more proper boss fight. I was fully expecting the return of Mecha-Hitler.

Seriously you can't loving tease Hitler like that, and then not let you kill Hitler. Even just a "goddamn, this guy is loving sad" 'mercy'-kill would do.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can kill Hitler, you just get a game over ten seconds later.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/KojiPro2015_EN/status/1006185941231210496

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Wolfenstein 2 is largely a good game, but it throws a lot of people off because it seriously commits to the idea of being the second in a trilogy, probably to a fault. It’s a sequel-rear end sequel where you don’t get a regular health meter until halfway through the game just because it makes more sense for the story that way, it spends a good chunk of its time setting up Hitler as the villain of the third game at the sacrifice of letting Frau Engel get any real time to shine like she did in The New Order, and the while the revolution is “sparked” by the ending that’s significantly different than actually fighting in the thick of it like the plot was building up to.

It’s still a super fun FPS with some great characters, and I don’t regret a single dime of the $60 I spent on it at launch, so it’s strange to see people trying to claim that it’s an outright bad game or, crazily enough, the worst game in the series.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
What is up my E3 familia. I'm loving stoked for a DESPACITO 2 announcement today

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

From a story and set piece perspective The New Colossus is pretty great, they just hosed up the gameplay compared to pretty badly in a bunch of ways for no reason at all.

It's a lot more enjoyable if you crank down the difficulty so you can effortlessly kill a bunch of nazis, but The New Order is much better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s still a super fun FPS with some great characters, and I don’t regret a single dime of the $60 I spent on it at launch, so it’s strange to see people trying to claim that it’s an outright bad game or, crazily enough, the worst game in the series.

It's possible to like a game but have criticism about it, which is what we're doing. I'd definitely say it's a relatively worse whole experience than The New Order, just because TNO told a complete story with an actual (and satisfying) ending. It's still a very well-made and fun FPS game though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pirate Jet posted:

Wolfenstein 2 is largely a good game, but it throws a lot of people off because it seriously commits to the idea of being the second in a trilogy, probably to a fault. It’s a sequel-rear end sequel where you don’t get a regular health meter until halfway through the game just because it makes more sense for the story that way, it spends a good chunk of its time setting up Hitler as the villain of the third game at the sacrifice of letting Frau Engel get any real time to shine like she did in The New Order, and the while the revolution is “sparked” by the ending that’s significantly different than actually fighting in the thick of it like the plot was building up to.

Something about the general shooting and level design just didn't seem to click with me as much a the first one did. I can see why people have issues with it. However I'll also say that the big draw for The New Order and its sequel is NOT the gameplay sections. I'm all in on the story stuff and the loving ridiculous nazi magic science bullshit that comes with BJ getting his head cut off and surviving and poo poo. I LOVED the entire section at the barn. I loved that whole exeuction scene. I loved the first meeting with Grace. I love the big party on the submarine. I loved the entire audition on Mars. I loved the ending bit on TV (I'm gonna pretend the awful credits music didn't happen).

It's still a shooty game though, and I think it's fair to criticize that aspect of the game as not being super stellar.

edit: Spoiled the story stuff. You should've played it by now though ya ding dongs :mad:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 11, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maybe don't spoil the big mid-game twist for people who haven't played yet? :ssh:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1006179225869508609

i wonder how many they actually made to start with

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Something about the general shooting and level design just didn't seem to click with me as much a the first one did. I can see why people have issues with it. However I'll also say that the big draw for The New Order and its sequel is NOT the gameplay sections. I'm all in on the story stuff and the loving ridiculous nazi magic science bullshit that comes with BJ getting his head cut off and surviving and poo poo. I LOVED the entire section at the barn. I loved that whole exeuction scene. I loved the first meeting with Grace. I love the big party on the submarine. I loved the entire audition on Mars. I loved the ending bit on TV (I'm gonna pretend the awful credits music didn't happen).

It's still a shooty game though, and I think it's fair to criticize that aspect of the game as not being super stellar.

Compared to so much of the schlock out there, both are utterly fantastic. They change things between them, so no matter who you are you will have a preference.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yes sir

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im not sure if I should bother watching the Squeenix presser. Don't care about KH3, FF7 will probably be pushed back forever, and I doubt Avengers will be shown in any capacity....then again maybe we'll get a TWEWY date....

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fits posted:

i wonder how many they actually made to start with

21 million

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wolf2 played worse than 1 and the cutscenes are all monologing assholes or bj whining.

I like ta kill da nazi but i shant buy any mo wolf games until they actually improve

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the Lootboxcoin is currently at $150, has anyone kept an eye on how high and low it fluctuates?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I hate the shooting and level design in both those Wolf games, but the second is markedly worse. In the first game you could actually stealth around, assassinate officers, and avoid a lot of combat if you want. The asinine level layouts and enemy placement in 2 make that nigh impossible even though the game still presents it as an option.

Still well worth playing to marvel at how nuts the plot is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the cyberpunk trailer was bad because I thought we would play the cringy dudebro at the end, but now I hear you can make your own character?

get rid of the dumb dudebro!!! otherwise it was megarad imo

Is a style. Neither are better. Playing a premade character let the artist write a good backstory for it. While if you create your character, you play more or less a blank slate.

• Locked thread