Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There is nothing ok about whatever alien demon spawn are masquerading as people on that cover. That “Bruce” is the thing of nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

These are traced over Poser models right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MH Knights posted:

These are traced over Poser models right?

Hell i dont think they even traced over Bruce "The Fridge" Wayne there. Sheesh.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Selina looks photoshopped into the concert which is something

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Some of the other covers were real real good too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's not a joke edit?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Geoff Johns Exits DC Entertainment for Writing and Producing Deal (Exclusive)

DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer Geoff Johns — who went from authoring comic books to having a major hand in the making of movies and television shows based on famous heroes — is stepping down from his executive post and entering into an exclusive writer-producer deal with Warner Bros. and DC, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Johns is launching Mad Ghost Productions, a new banner that will see him work on content for films, television and comic books, and have his hand in current DC properties as well as new and reimagined creations.

At the same time, current DC Entertainment publisher Jim Lee will assume the chief creative officer position, taking on the duties while continuing to act as publisher with Dan DiDio. The two have jointly held the post since 2010.

The moves come in the wake of last week’s exit of Diane Nelson, DC Entertainment’s president, to whom Johns reported, and occurs the day before a judge’s decision will be announced in the high-profile anti-trust trial between the U.S. Department of Justice and AT&T, which is seeking to merge with Time Warner, the parent company of both Warner Bros. and DC.

And it takes place as Warners’ movie division is in the midst of a transition as Walter Hamada, who was installed as president of DC-based films at the studio by pictures group chairman Toby Emmerich, in January, begins to shape the superhero slate in the post-Justice League era.

Johns now goes from the executive ranks back to the creative world, a world which he never truly left. Even as he was promoted to DC Entertainment president in 2016, and retained the title of chief creative officer, which he had held since 2010, he continued to pen some of DC’s biggest books. And, more impactfullly, he was key in launching the TV empire based on DC’s heroes, co-developing The CW’s most successful superhero show, The Flash, and with Peter Roth and WBTV, launching Supergirl and Black Lightning, and many others.

The move in essense unshackles him from the boardroom and positions him to be a major force and supplier of content just as Warners' need and audience demand for that sort of material rises like a mercury on steroids.

“I took on a role at DCE because I love the characters and this universe more than anything. But, I want to spend my days writing and on set. I’m thrilled to get back to a more hands-on creative role. It’s a dream job on dream projects, reaching even deeper into DC’s vast pantheon of characters,” said Johns in a statement.

One of John’s first projects will be Green Lantern Corps, based on DC’s intergalactic police heroes which Johns is already very familiar with, having spent nine years writing Green Lantern comics and its spin-offs and publishing events. Johns will write the screenplay and act as one of the producers on the feature film. Johns is already writing and producing Wonder Woman 2 and will have a co-writing and executive producing credit on Aquaman, this year's only DC offering that opens in December.

“Geoff is a super talented writer and truly embedded in the DC Universe and its characters,” stated Emmerich. “We’re thrilled that he’s returning to his passion and his roots as a writer and producer. And, it’s even better that he’s staying in our Warner Bros. family. We look forward to working with him on ‘Green Lantern’ and other projects going forward.”

On the television side, Johns co-developed and is executive producing (alongside Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and Jeremy Carver) and writing on the first original series for the upcoming DC Universe digital service, Titans. Johns also wrote the Titans episode “Doom Patrol” that it is spinning out into its own 13-episode original series for the digital service.

On the publishing side, Johns will write and curate a DC pop-up label under the moniker The Killing Zone, focusing on new and lesser known or dormant DC characters and titles. He will also write a new Shazam comic series scheduled to hit this fall as well as a comic titled Three Jokers, drawn by Jason Fabok. The latter was a project sidelined as Johns’ time was taken up by executive and screen commitments.

“Geoff is one of DC Comics’ most prolific writers, and we can’t wait to see what he does next now that he will be dedicating 100 percent of his time to telling the best DC stories possible across all media," stated DiDio and Lee.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/geoff-johns-exits-dc-entertainment-writing-producing-deal-1118131

Doomsday Clock is never ending, isn't it?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Huh, I was sure they'd decided to scotch the three Jokers idea. Wonder when we'll start hearing more about that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to think if I've ever actually liked something Johns has written, and I can't come up with a single book. The best of his that I've read is his Flash stuff, which was fine, but nothing special.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

JSA was amazing and I liked a lot of his Teen Titans.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So everything is being restructured in a way to probably surgically remove the MoS WB/DCCU execs to have Time Warner still be an attractive offer to ATT, and keep people involved in making the decent CW shows still around. I seriously hope the ATT merger does not happen, they're back to being insanely bloated like Ma Bell used to be. This would mean, ATT would essentially have a monopoly over telecom, content providers, AND how people view it. I.e. DirectTV Now(formerlly ATT U-Verse), Direct Tv, HBOGo, HBO Now. And I'm pretty sure I didn't even name all of them. :psyboom:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 11, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gene Yang looking back on New Super-Man
http://geneyang.com/the-final-issue-of-new-super-man-comes-out-this-week

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is hoping Johns is more respectful to Captain Marvel then he was last time.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm trying to think if I've ever actually liked something Johns has written, and I can't come up with a single book. The best of his that I've read is his Flash stuff, which was fine, but nothing special.

I ask this every time Johns comes up and all I've been told is he was apparently good at writing some characters I can't stand anyway

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean the best summary of this news is Geoff Johns was the main creative force behind Rebirth and Jim Lee was the main creative force behind the New 52

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's a shame the imprint is named so horribly cause it sounds potentially good. There's our chance to get a Question comic.

edit: It's probably nothing different than what DCYou was trying with comics like Prez and Omega men.
Like that, it won't last more than a year (see Young Animal too) but I'm glad they keep trying :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 11, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I'm more excited for the idea of that imprint than anything else.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Johns wrote a good JSA, Teen Titans, Superman, and GL run.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Blockhouse posted:

I mean the best summary of this news is Geoff Johns was the main creative force behind Rebirth and Jim Lee was the main creative force behind the New 52
Is this according to anything? Johns and Lee had the same titles during the launch of both initiatives, and New 52 literally grew out of a Justice League book co-created by Johns and Lee.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's a shame the imprint is named so horribly cause it sounds potentially good. There's our chance to get a Question comic.

edit: It's probably nothing different than what DCYou was trying with comics like Prez and Omega men.
Like that, it won't last more than a year (see Young Animal too) but I'm glad they keep trying :)

Bendis will be reintroducing the Question in Action Comics #1005. That just makes good sense, because he loves writing journalists and street-level vigilantes.

As for Johns, I loved his Flash, JSA, and Booster Gold runs. Those were great. And I'm not sure what he brought to 52 as opposed to what Morrison, Rucka, and Waid brought, but the whole thing was a masterwork.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Johns was working on the Black Adam stuff, right? It definitely had his use of horrific gore in it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Former BSSer d00gZ broke down page by page who wrote what in 52 over here, I forget exactly which stories were whose, but the Black Adam stuff was Johns, for sure.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Is this according to anything?

I don't buy into the theory of there being a big Didio+Lee Vs Johns war over DC, but I'm guessing it's...
Johns' Flashpoint not originally being planned to usher in a new universe and his GL being one of the two things more or less allowed to continue it's continuity, versus Johns having a completely active role in starting Rebirth.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 11, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's strange looking back now on how big a deal Black Adam was for a few years immediately before and after Infinite Crisis and it's almost entirely thanks to Johns.

JSA was my first favourite DC comic but looking back on it, it's not as good after the post-Infinite Crisis relaunch and it was at its best when Johns was co-writing with Goyer.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jordan7hm posted:

Dude, his Green Lantern run is a loving masterclass in taking a dead franchise and making it sing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

Dude, his Green Lantern run is a loving masterclass in taking a dead franchise and making it sing.

It peaked at Sinestro Corps Wars and then kind of spun it's own wheels. Plus it was such a love-job to Hal Jordan that it felt kind of sickening at times (saying this as Kyle fan)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Madkal posted:

It peaked at Sinestro Corps Wars and then kind of spun it's own wheels. Plus it was such a love-job to Hal Jordan that it felt kind of sickening at times (saying this as Kyle fan)

Could have been worse. At least it opened with Hal saying how awesome Kyle was for "being a Green Lantern when no one else could" and shaking his hand when they had a second and treating him as an equal. John's could have just straight up iced Kyle like a punk rear end bitch and brought Hal back and been like "what's up? gently caress you!" like what often happens in these sort of things.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Also creating the emotional spectrum and attendant other six Lantern Corps was a tremendous kick in the pants to the entire franchise and opened up new story avenues that every GL writer since has been taking advantage of, and that's not a small thing. It's why I'll still go to bat for the Parallax thing as my favorite retcon of all time; taking a bunch of disconnected story elements that were created by different writers over the course of 40 years that all lacked an explanation and going "okay but what if this" and stringing them all together in a way that turned Green Lantern from a C-list name struggling to support a solo title to a franchise with multiple books, overnight, is an astounding achievement.

Covok
May 27, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Also creating the emotional spectrum and attendant other six Lantern Corps was a tremendous kick in the pants to the entire franchise and opened up new story avenues that every GL writer since has been taking advantage of, and that's not a small thing. It's why I'll still go to bat for the Parallax thing as my favorite retcon of all time; taking a bunch of disconnected story elements that were created by different writers over the course of 40 years that all lacked an explanation and going "okay but what if this" and stringing them all together in a way that turned Green Lantern from a C-list name struggling to support a solo title to a franchise with multiple books, overnight, is an astounding achievement.

Pretty much EVERYTHING people like about Green Lantern nowadays really came from Johns. Like, I think people forget how big Green Lantern was between 2004 to 2010. People were memorizing lantern codes, people were excited about every reveal, people were theorizing what each lantern corp could be, I was -- a guy who barely read any comics and only started buying trades because an internet critic convinced me to buy all the trades for 52 (well, my brother had 1 and then I HAD to buy the rest) -- buying the trades for Green Lantern like crazy and was super hyped for blackest night.

Sure, Blackest Night is kind of meh in hindsight, but it was loving awesome at the time. Sure, Blackest Night kind of killed things and Brightest Day didn't help, but six years of top of chart releases is enough. That's a loving good run.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Can't wait for him to return to Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz (not that Humphries or Seeley have been bad at all).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

I’ve got the whole thing because my uncle loved GL, had almost everything GL starting in the late 80s, and gave me his comics collection. Green Lantern just does nothing for me though. And Blackest Night was terrible.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I like Green Lantern and Hal Jordan :colbert:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Jordan7hm posted:

I remember quite liking his Booster Gold run, though I haven't gone back to it anytime recently.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

I like Green Lantern and Hal Jordan :colbert:

KILL THE HERETIC

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

KILL THE HERETIC

Fight me, bitch.

BURN LIKE HIS POWER....SINESTRO'S MIGHT!

I like Sinestro more than Hal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's still odd to me they killed off all the Blue Lanterns.

Then, I remember how lame they are.

But, then, I just wonder why they didn't just fade into the ether.

Also, did the Purple Tribe ever matter?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Covok posted:

It's still odd to me they killed off all the Blue Lanterns.

Then, I remember how lame they are.

But, then, I just wonder why they didn't just fade into the ether.

Also, did the Purple Tribe ever matter?

The Star Sapphires? They pop up a lot in Green Lantern Corps?

Or if you mean the Indigo Tribe, they're in the first arc of N52 Green Lantern.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hal Jordan and the GLC made Hal Jordan into a good...

...hm. Y'know, I don't know if it actually turned him into a good character or not.

It turned him into a character that I like, I'll say that!

It's just that characters I like aren't necessarily good characters :xd:

Covok
May 27, 2013

pubic works project posted:

The Star Sapphires? They pop up a lot in Green Lantern Corps?

Or if you mean the Indigo Tribe, they're in the first arc of N52 Green Lantern.

I haven't read past Blackest Night until Rebirth. Worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's canon that Guy kicked Sinestro's ghost's rear end so I will never be satisfied until Guy is picking Sin's teeth out of his knuckles.