Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Fargin Icehole posted:

according to the interview, neither is my hero academia

Yeah but Bleach's case is a bit more egregious since 2/3 of The Big Three were invited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
All three of the big three are there.

They are even in the trailer.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think the big 3 were really a thing in Japan. Like Bleach was popular and successful but it wasn't One Piece or Naruto popular or successful. At least not for any extended amount of time.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because no one really likes bleach.

So there isn’t exactly a good series to try and cash in on a nearly non existent market.

man, how can anyone dislike a show thats basically DBZ but with magic swords?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RFC2324 posted:

man, how can anyone dislike a show thats basically DBZ but with magic swords?

It is apparently pretty bland and only had one good arc? I dunno I have never seen it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is apparently pretty bland and only had one good arc? I dunno I have never seen it

tbh, its a bit emo for my normal tastes, but the dbz swords more than made up for it for me.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

All three of the big three are there.

They are even in the trailer.

Nah, Dragon Ball is on a tier of it's own.

How many public latin american plazas has Naruto or One Piece filled?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hasn't One Piece eclipsed Dragon Ball's popularity in Japan?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hasn't One Piece eclipsed Dragon Ball's popularity in Japan?

I guess this explains japans high suicide rate.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What

Is the joke here that One Piece causes suicide.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

bleach is trash and effortlessly slides under the low bar of quality it needed to have.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think the big 3 were really a thing in Japan. Like Bleach was popular and successful but it wasn't One Piece or Naruto popular or successful. At least not for any extended amount of time.

Bleach has crashed pretty hard, but let's give the devil his due. 120 million copies in print is a helluva thing. JoJo hasn't hit 120 million, and it's been running strong since the 80s. According to the data I've been looking at, we're talking one of the top ten best selling manga of all time.

Which is, of course, a big part of why it's so infamous. When you start at the bottom and stay there, nobody cares. When you go from being compared to Dragon Ball to getting cancelled mid-arc with a hasty wrapup?

That's the kind of failure people remember.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What

Is the joke here that One Piece causes suicide.

The shame of One Piece being a popular show causes suicide.

And yes, it is a terrible job, but based on the 2 episodes I tried to watch, that show was terrible. Modern anime sucks compared to what we watched when I was a kid :corsair:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Bleach has crashed pretty hard, but let's give the devil his due. 120 million copies in print is a helluva thing. JoJo hasn't hit 120 million, and it's been running strong since the 80s. According to the data I've been looking at, we're talking one of the top ten best selling manga of all time.

Which is, of course, a big part of why it's so infamous. When you start at the bottom and stay there, nobody cares. When you go from being compared to Dragon Ball to getting cancelled mid-arc with a hasty wrapup?

That's the kind of failure people remember.

I guess the end just coloured my impression of how it was received overall. It's hard to think it was so huge when its anime got cancelled before the comic finished its run and the manga placed at the bottom of Jumps rankings for most of its final arc.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It’s a terrible anime but an amazing comic

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

The shame of One Piece being a popular show causes suicide.

And yes, it is a terrible job, but based on the 2 episodes I tried to watch, that show was terrible. Modern anime sucks compared to what we watched when I was a kid :corsair:

I guarantee if you give it like 40 episodes you'll enjoy it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because no one really likes bleach.

So there isn’t exactly a good series to try and cash in on a nearly non existent market.

the thing about Bleach is, it's a loving terrible anime/manga but it's also, like, perfectly engineered to make an amazing fighting game if anyone put any effort into it

like if it was popular enough to get the FighterZ treatment that would actually kind of loving own even though I think the series is rear end

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I felt bleach was good at first. I liked that heaven turned out to have some hosed up rules and Ichigo kicked their rear end to fix that.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Kild posted:

I guarantee if you give it like 40 episodes you'll enjoy it.

The only reason I'm ok with dragonball being as long as it is is because I grew up with that poo poo. I can't pick up a new long show - if I start watching an anime I want it to be over in like half as long as you're suggesting I give one piece to get interesting.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also the One Piece anime is awful and the manga is way better.

Much like Dragonball before Super.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sade posted:

The only reason I'm ok with dragonball being as long as it is is because I grew up with that poo poo. I can't pick up a new long show - if I start watching an anime I want it to be over in like half as long as you're suggesting I give one piece to get interesting.

Eh try the Episode of Nami special then.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sade posted:

I think he is joking.

The one piece anime is legendarily bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It’s a terrible anime but an amazing comic

I think it's also gotten much worse as its gone on, because the pacing has gone slower and slower to avoid catching up with the manga.

Shows like MHA go multiple chapters to an episode. One Piece goes multiple episodes to a chapter.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think he is joking.

The one piece anime is legendarily bad.

The anime is fine until the right before the timeskip to the point even the filler arcs are enjoyable

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If you have to watch forty episodes of something to like it, it’s bad.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

:chloe:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CharlestheHammer posted:

remind me, when did super hit its stride? the first real "ok maybe they know what they're doing" moment wasn't til like 39.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Enourmo posted:

remind me, when did super hit its stride? the first real "ok maybe they know what they're doing" moment wasn't til like 39.

Super was specifically bad though because the talent didn't want to work on rehashes of work they'd already done, which is why it started to get good once the show started its own original content and also why you don't have to watch episodes 1 - 27

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 11, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Enourmo posted:

You um, don’t watch those episodes.

If you watch the first two arcs of Super you hosed up

You watch the movies which cover those arcs

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Enourmo posted:

Hell DBZ didn't even hit its stride until Vegeta vs Goku at like episode 30. I basically told him to watch up until the equivalent lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Do not watch more than like five bad episodes in the hope it gets better.

That’s loving stupid.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's not like those episodes are trash either, it's just that there is a better way to watch them, making them seem worse by comparison.

They also served a purpose in training new animators, so they are actually good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I also would not recommend people watch the original Z it’s really bad

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

All of Dragon Ball is bad

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

i tried rewatching DBZ from the first episode and those first episodes were even worse than i remembered. first time i watched it i picked it up around the ginyu force episodes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there is no unequivocally good version of the DBZ anime. idk about Super because there are bits of good in the anime that weren't in the movies but the movies are overall way better, and you also get good Super filler like Vegeta failing to crack an egg.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I like the One Piece anime. :saddowns:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dogsicle posted:

there is no unequivocally good version of the DBZ anime. idk about Super because there are bits of good in the anime that weren't in the movies but the movies are overall way better, and you also get good Super filler like Vegeta failing to crack an egg.

Kai is the best version of the anime, unless you want to watch the Latin American dub in which case you're hosed and have to go through the entire original Z, filler and all, until The Final Chapters, where you can watch Kai.

The Super anime is the best version of the events that only happen in Super, including the slice of life moments that happen before both movies. The movie events...BoG is undeniably better than its adaptation, but Resurrection "F" is more complicated, the anime version adds a lot with Ginyu and fixes some of the dumber stuff like Goku Blue getting shot from the front and somehow nearly dying, but at the same time it's much slower and horribly animated.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

read:clap: the:clap: manga :clap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kai is the best version of the anime, unless you want to watch the Latin American dub in which case you're hosed and have to go through the entire original Z, filler and all, until The Final Chapters, where you can watch Kai.

The Super anime is the best version of the events that only happen in Super, including the slice of life moments that happen before both movies. The movie events...BoG is undeniably better than its adaptation, but Resurrection "F" is more complicated, the anime version adds a lot with Ginyu and fixes some of the dumber stuff like Goku Blue getting shot from the front and somehow nearly dying, but at the same time it's much slower and horribly animated.

i watched Kai recently to finally experience the show as an adult and i feel like 1) it still drags 2) it's full of awful digital redraws 3) the soundtrack for about half of it is bad or used/mixed badly. it really just seems to me that the manga must be the only uncompromised version.