Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I found a bunch of neromods but I can't use them because a corrupted flying robot flew into me and gave me a concussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
They also mentioned that asymmetrical multiplayer thing with four players as mimics.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GANDHITRON posted:

They also mentioned that asymmetrical multiplayer thing with four players as mimics.

That's coming later I think.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's a ticking clock in the game and increases the difficulty of the game the longer is goes on. There's also a point where you just lose and have to start over. I don't know if you can pick any character you have unlocked to do first when you restart but the ones you play last will face the hardest/most amount of bad guys. Its kinda playing a human only, typhon only, and no needles playthroughs in the same game. Since you need to move quickly through the game there's less time to waste alot of time exploring and looting all the rooms. And taking stuff might leave less for the other characters.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 11, 2018

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

There's a ticking clock in the game and increases the difficulty of the game the longer is goes on. There's also a point where you just lose and have to start over. I don't know if you can pick any character you have unlocked to do first when you restart but the ones you play last will face the hardest/most amount of bad guys. Its kinda playing a human only, typhon only, and no needles playthroughs in the same game. Since you need to move quickly through the game there's less time to waste alot of time exploring and looting all the rooms. And taking stuff might leave less for the other characters.

Yeah but you can also leave stuff behind that a character thats going to escape won't need anymore. Just shove it all into a box and suddenly that character can loot an entire run worth of stuff at once.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jerusalem posted:

New Game+ mode for the base game too, gently caress yes.

Yay, gonna replay!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm just gonna leave this March post right here

Grey Fox posted:

It's not unheard of to release DLC the same day it's announced at a major news conference that's watched live worldwide.

It would be a bigger attempt at marketing than what they tried for the base game.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Because people are dissapointed this isn't a story expansion and it haven't seen it mentioned, the DLC does have an overarching story narrative. You also get story by completing specific escape goals as each survivor.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I think they really did themselves a disservice calling this DLC a roguelite. You say an FPS is a roguelite and I'm going to assume it has lovely prefab rooms stuck together but that's not what this is at all. It's seems kind of unique, closer to something like the randomizers for console games that are popular now.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There is some story expansion, I have no idea how much. When you totally lose, you get to keep all the upgrades to try again.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The DLC is Prey but with fully randomized enemies, hazards, and loot, and you can't save your game (except when quitting). Every time you die or escape your character progress (neuromods) is saved and you earn space bucks that you can spend on buying stuff for future runs once you unlock the fabrication plans for it by finding them in the world. And yeah, it has a story line, logs to find and all that, it's still the same game just in roguelike form. If that's your jam then the DLC is a good buy.

Oh, and the DLC has survival mode permanently activated. It includes permanent status effects which require consumables to clear (you can find fab plans for the consumables though) and weapon degradation which is very slow and not really a big deal.

Best news of all though: There's a hotkey on the weapon wheel for suit repairs now! :toot:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Yeah there's definitely more to it than a randomiser gimmick. This is pretty cool!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You can find some funny looking scenes from it also.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How does the effect where looting something as one character effects what other characters find in the world play out?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Do you need the base game to play the DLC? I gave my disc away cuz I thought Bethesda wad done supporting the game. :(

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

Do you need the base game to play the DLC?

yep

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah I'm not loving the idea of reinstalling the whole base game just for the dlc but I guess it's worth it. Anyone know what New Game + does?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ravenfood posted:

How does the effect where looting something as one character effects what other characters find in the world play out?

Most of the time it is then looted for them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah I'm not loving the idea of reinstalling the whole base game just for the dlc but I guess it's worth it. Anyone know what New Game + does?

I assume it works the same way NG+ does in other games: you start from the beginning but with all the weapons, items, and powers from one of your finished playthroughs.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I did not realise how much System Shock 3 this game needed a laser rapier psychostatic cutter until now. :allears:

Edit: A wrench that nullifies psychic abilities.. :stare:

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 11, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I only got about 5 hours into Prey before I got distracted and played something else. I see that it is now X enhanced. Time to start over.

For clarity, I like the game a lot I just got distracted by multiplayer games.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Of course my hard drive dies on the day the Prey DLC launches :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I keep failing to figure out how to solve my objective and it quickly becomes a go down swinging simulator since when you die its over.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

I keep failing to figure out how to solve my objective and it quickly becomes a go down swinging simulator since when you die its over.

Since your body with your stuff remains for the next run wouldn't it make more sense to go quietly and save your ammo for the next guy?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
At first, it's better to just casually explore the levels, so you can figure out where everything is. A full run would require you to understand all the different conditions for escaping which aren't immediately obvious.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Found a chipset that keeps Weavers from turning your body into a Phantom when you die so that's a thing, I guess. Being able to buy chipsets with your spacebucks is great, means you can customize the run to your liking instead of being reliant on RNG. Well, after you've found it once at least.

edit: hahaha YOU CAN SUMMON FRIENDLY MIMICS THAT WEAR HATS!?

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 11, 2018

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

ToxicFrog posted:

I assume it works the same way NG+ does in other games: you start from the beginning but with all the weapons, items, and powers from one of your finished playthroughs.

Once you get to your office you can grab a psychoscope from the locker that contains the preorder bonus. This gives you all your powers back. You don't keep your items though.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I walk into the first room and see a console right in front of me with the words:
"Typhoon Gate , detects nearby typhoon creatures."

I wonder..
"1"
what..
"2"
that..
"3"
does.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
My old GPU from 2015 has already been creaky in Dishonored 2 and Prey, now I finally have an excuse to upgrade and replay those games.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
hey as a heads up if you want to do an NG+ you have to pick an old save and beat the game with it first (like, go through the ending). Then it'll work.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Friend posted:

Since your body with your stuff remains for the next run wouldn't it make more sense to go quietly and save your ammo for the next guy?
Oh shiiiiit that's awesome. I found some great suit mods for someone who actually uses typhon powers, but I found them with my Engineer (who has an awesome turret). I was about to escape with her on the shuttle when the Hemorrhage condition eventually caught up to me. Also, I'd actually started leaving some gear behind for other characters like this psi-blade thing I found. I should have just carried it with me.

This is pretty nice, though its a bit weird how you start in the same place each time. I should have explored more thoroughly with the Test Subject before moving along.

e2: Wait, corruption level is shared across simulations? Haha, gently caress, I'll have to restart soon then.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 11, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

seems custom built for speedruns which equal free publicity from streamers- i'd love if sales of this resurrected the game and we got prey 2 because it was no poo poo my goty last year (after i figured out how to use the recycler)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm really confused trying to complete the Engineer chick's personal mission in the DLC. It says I need to search the doctor's office to find what happened to her friend but I can't find anything and you can't hack his computer since she can't learn hacking, and he doesn't seem to have a crew room so I have no idea where the password is located.

edit: Of course right after I post this I threw a box prop around and found a piece of paper under it with the password.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm really confused trying to complete the Engineer chick's personal mission in the DLC. It says I need to search the doctor's office to find what happened to her friend but I can't find anything and you can't hack his computer since she can't learn hacking, and he doesn't seem to have a crew room so I have no idea where the password is located.

edit: Of course right after I post this I threw a box prop around and found a piece of paper under it with the password.

How do these work, by the way? I escaped with her on the shuttle, which supposedly unlocked her mission. Do I need to reset the sim and play her again to actually do it? This DLC is surprisingly fun, by the way.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ravenfood posted:

e2: Wait, corruption level is shared across simulations? Haha, gently caress, I'll have to restart soon then.

Yea it turns it into a speed run and you gotta plan out what extra you want to do.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Noob question:

I put like 5 hours into the game (see last post itt) before I got distracted. I love the story, I love the setting, I'm mostly spoiler free so far but whatever.

I don't normally get down with RPG's like Bioshock, SS, etc.

What do I need to know to do well in this game? I kept getting wrecked by one of the typhons that possess the little station bots.

Bullets didn't do much, emp didn't do much. What am I missing from this game? Someone have a "getting started in Prey" list?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Tenzarin posted:

Yea it turns it into a speed run and you gotta plan out what extra you want to do.

I think the final run where I want to get it actually working right will be a speedrun, but once I unlock the neuromod recipe I'll be just killing typhons and upgrading my characters to prepare for the final run.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Beastie posted:

Noob question:

I put like 5 hours into the game (see last post itt) before I got distracted. I love the story, I love the setting, I'm mostly spoiler free so far but whatever.

What do I need to know to do well in this game? I kept getting wrecked by one of the typhons that possess the little station bots.

Bullets didn't do much, emp didn't do much. What am I missing from this game? Someone have a "getting started in Prey" list?

The stun gun is probably the best thing. Also the electric alien power

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Beastie posted:

Noob question:

The latest update supposedly has a Story Mode which should let you play the game without much emphasis on combat, if you're getting frustrated with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Mooncrash question: how do you disable Typhon Gates? I got a note that suggests you can shoot them somehow to do it, and I burned about six shotgun shells trying and failing to do it. Where I shoot gun :downs:

The M--- S---- is brutal