Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Drug companies will waive the cost if you ask, there is no way in hell they want to be on the news killing an old lady and its tax writeoff anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Seriously dude?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm sorry about your mom and also the commodification of health supported by people who think they'll never be the ones getting sick. I hope she can go into remission.

EDIT: Not to get all internet communist on something that's really about you and your mom. It just messes me up. I'm constantly terrified these days health-wise.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Call Your Grandma posted:

She was never fat but ate regular food, now she eats about 1/2 the meat she used to and goes to various exercise classes at the community centre where she can be healthy and socialize with other seniors. Every single pill you take has long term side effects, and if you can choose between a lifestyle change and a prescription you are better off with the lifestyle change.

What if I both hate change and also socializing with other people? Then you're vegan propoganda is objectively worse, ain't it?!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Millenials are killing the healthcare industry, by not having the money to not die.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PetraCore posted:

Millenials are killing the healthcare industry, by not having the money to not die.

If only this were true, but somehow the fuckers just stay alive.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Nurge posted:

I'm TRYING.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

the thing that's going to destroy the republicans is the failure to reform the healthcare system as was promised. if democrats can stop being shitheads and embrace single payer they can do a clean sweep. our very lives are at stake here.

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

the thing that's going to destroy the republicans is the failure to reform the healthcare system as was promised. if democrats can stop being shitheads and embrace single payer they can do a clean sweep. our very lives are at stake here.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Deki posted:

I've never liked the American Healthcare system, but even so it was eye opening going to my current job which has great benefits, and seeing all the supplementary insurance available to cover things that even a good Healthcare plan won't pay for in a medical emergency. Like, I don't expect America to ever have Nordic style socialized medicine, but man, something's gotta give.

It scares me knowing that yes I've currently got a good job with benefits but it could all go away if I got fired since my insurance is provided through my job.

hosed up country imo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSMGrKSUgj4

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
What really burns me about drug advertising budgets is that they weren't even allowed to market directly to consumers (e.g. TV) until 1983 I guess. So then they were allowed to trick people into 'ask your doctor about' poo poo, when instead they could take a tiny percentage of the blanket the airwaves cash they spend and just educate Doctors, you know the ones that actually decide to prescribe something. I mean they still do that today through kickbacks and poo poo I guess, but Joe Six pack shouldn't be suggesting treatment courses to his doctor.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I don't know how practical this would be but could your mother maybe sell her home and come to live with you? The prospect of selling the roof over your head to keep yourself alive is hosed up and maybe you don't even have the room either but theoretically it could cover the costs for a good while? No idea what the situation is but seems like the best way to get a large sum of money quickly, anyways. I hope things turn out well for you and your family.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nurge posted:

It turns out avocado toast is a panacea, so it evens out

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

It turns out avocado toast is a panacea, so it evens out

I hope eating rear end is also a miracle cure for all that ails you, or the newest generation may be in trouble.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

What really burns me about drug advertising budgets is that they weren't even allowed to market directly to consumers (e.g. TV) until 1983 I guess. So then they were allowed to trick people into 'ask your doctor about' poo poo, when instead they could take a tiny percentage of the blanket the airwaves cash they spend and just educate Doctors, you know the ones that actually decide to prescribe something. I mean they still do that today through kickbacks and poo poo I guess, but Joe Six pack shouldn't be suggesting treatment courses to his doctor.

"Educating" doctors is sadly not any better. Pharm companies were the ones who funded all the studies on cholesterol and made the medication into a huge global business. It's only recently come to light that some of those studies were pretty loving badly conducted. I doubt any of the companies will ever get punished for that either. It's a lovely drat business.

e: Essentially it's manufacturing a problem so you can sell more product, because the profit margins aren't high enough if you only have the really hosed up marginal group of people to sell to. It's completely rear end-backwards.

This isn't in any way a new thing either. If you go back to the 60s or something you can find pharm ads for doctors hyping up stuff with totally insane risk profiles, like barbituates.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 11, 2018

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

welp :suicide:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Healthcare is part of the reason why I chose my career. Not because it would help me afford it, but because my career is valuable and skilled enough to where Canada won’t tell me to gently caress off when I finally jump ship in the next 2-3 years. Even with over 70k yearly income, I cannot feel secure in my financial future because poo poo keeps getting more expensive and nothing is being done about it, so having to pay for healthcare will likely become unfeasible in the next 10 years if I want to enjoy my life.

Sorry you are stuck in this horrible nation, Lowtax. Hopefully I won’t be stuck here too.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Just a reminder, America can easily cover all of its citizen’s medical costs in perpetuity with ease. It wouldn’t make a loving dent in the government’s wealth. No nation on earth is more capable of public healthcare.

The USA can have free public healthcare with such ease that it would only require a relatively small increase in taxes, which could be made even more favorable if the US taxed people fairly. If someone says that it is too expensive, they are liars.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Skeleton King posted:

Just a reminder, America can easily cover all of its citizen’s medical costs in perpetuity with ease. It wouldn’t make a loving dent in the government’s wealth. No nation on earth is more capable of public healthcare.

The USA can have free public healthcare with such ease that it would only require a relatively small increase in taxes, which could be made even more favorable if the US taxed people fairly. If someone says that it is too expensive, they are liars.

There's another problem though. The actual medical costs in the US are much much higher than anywhere else in the world. The entire insurance system would need to be dismantled and rebuilt to bring the insanity back to reasonable costs. It's completely bloated to gently caress by brodeals between the medical industry/pharm/insurance companies.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nurge posted:

There's another problem though. The actual medical costs in the US are much much higher than anywhere else in the world. The entire insurance system would need to be dismantled and rebuilt to bring the insanity back to reasonable costs. It's completely bloated to gently caress by brodeals between the medical industry/pharm/insurance companies.

There should be no 'health insurance', as it's a necessity not an unknown risk.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

There should be no 'health insurance', as it's a necessity not an unknown risk.

Well there are insurance policies for certain things even in socialized healthcare countries. They're mostly centered on optional procedures and higher than standard type things, like fabricated teeth, laser eye surgery etc.

e: I mean the stuff where they make an actual new tooth and screw it into the jawbone. I can't recall the english term for that right now.

The point is that though that the current insanely bloated costs would just continue into any new system unless the whole thing is re-jiggered.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 11, 2018

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Just have your mom put the cost on her credit cards and pay the minimum fee to service the debt. When she dies (will happen eventually anyway unforch), you don't have to pay! Apply for more credit now.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

we pretty much need to get someone in the white house who is an enemy of the health insurance industry and has a priority for helping citizens over corporations. who knows how long that will take to happen. look at what it took for something like the ACA to pass

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

we pretty much need to get someone in the white house who is an enemy of the health insurance industry and has a priority for helping citizens over corporations. who knows how long that will take to happen. look at what it took for something like the ACA to pass

The president can't even do that can they? Need the uh senate or something. Man I don't know gently caress your political system. But if it could be done trump would have dismantled obamacare by now.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I do hope the OP's mother overcomes her illness.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

comedyblissoption posted:

drug companies are not just charging high prices for rare drugs for rare diseases that only 5 people get a year

they're skyrocketing the price of insulin as well and americans are literally dying because they can't afford it [thanks obama]
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/insulin-prices-skyrocket-putting-many-diabetics-in-a-bind/

:capitalism:

This is where the government is supposed to raid a pharmaceuticals HQ to haul off whoever signed off on the pricing scheme to be pilloried in the town square.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Nurge posted:

The president can't even do that can they? Need the uh senate or something. Man I don't know gently caress your political system. But if it could be done trump would have dismantled obamacare by now.

i understand that this needs to get through congress in order for the president to sign it in to law. the question is if a president who is a member of a party partially funded by the health insurance industry would have no issues hurting that industry with a simple pen stroke or not. Right now I don't think they would. That's why the ACA ended up the way it is.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Oscar Wild posted:

Health insurance people should be the first ones against the wall when the revolution happens.

You say this, but do you mean it? Insurance companies and Big pharma executives are the worst criminals in America by far. Nobody had done more damage to American society than them. I want them dead, piled high beneath a grand stone monument of the grim reaper holding a pill in one hand in one hand and a fat wad of cash in the other with a dying child at its feet.

They are criminals, and so are their stock holders for enabling them and participating in their criminal empires, all of which should be punished as well.

Cute, but when will they shut the gently caress up and DO IT? Democrats may not be as outright malicious as Republicans, but they are still liars and traitors all the same.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hope your mom gets better lowtax. Moms are cool and good and I should call mine

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Burt Sexual posted:

Seriously dude?

ya its ridonkulous dont you think? my momma had cancer and forutnately we didn't have to pay out that kind of money.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Single payer and just be quietly pro-abortion but never breathe a loving word about it and the country is yours imo.

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

Healthcare is so insanely expensive in the US that we almost spend twice as much as the UK, where every doctor is a goverment employee and healthcare is free. You could give every private health insurance employee a pension and early retirement in addition to socialized medicine in the US and it would still be less than what we spend now. It truly is mind boggling.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nurge posted:

Well there are insurance policies for certain things even in socialized healthcare countries. They're mostly centered on optional procedures and higher than standard type things, like fabricated teeth, laser eye surgery etc.

e: I mean the stuff where they make an actual new tooth and screw it into the jawbone. I can't recall the english term for that right now.

The point is that though that the current insanely bloated costs would just continue into any new system unless the whole thing is re-jiggered.

Yeah I imagine some people would want more than others basic plan.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lol but seriously I posted:

Single payer and just be quietly pro-abortion but never breathe a loving word about it and the country is yours imo.

probably not. there is no majority support in the voting population for single payer and increased turn-out for a single payer advocate wouldn't make up for it. I'm sure ten nerds with PhDs in statistics already ran the scenario.

sad truth is that the American public is brainwashed by decades of right wing propaganda and nothing is gonna get better until someone throws some napalm on fox news and Breitbart.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hi folks, I am a "Swedish Person" and I live in a social democratic country where we have mostly free healthcare, certainly for life-threatening stuff

It's pretty great

Your politicians are lying to you if they say it is bad or stupid. They're probably idiots or being paid by corporations

hope this helps

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

probably not. there is no majority support in the voting population for single payer and increased turn-out for a single payer advocate wouldn't make up for it. I'm sure ten nerds with PhDs in statistics already ran the scenario.

sad truth is that the American public is brainwashed by decades of right wing propaganda and nothing is gonna get better until someone throws some napalm on fox news and Breitbart.

But.. but.. the Washington Post-Kaiser Family Foundation poll predicts a slim majority... was I foolish to believe?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's too late for the boomers to enjoy healthcare reform so they aren't going to do poo poo.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah I imagine some people would want more than others basic plan.

Lots of European countries run insurance based systems. Some form of insurance is mandatory(can't enroll in a university, without proving you are insured, can't hire a worker without him proving insurance, etc.). the basic, solidarity insurance is a flat rate of ~15% on your income and the rate varies according to what funds the solidarity system actually needed that year. it's pretty great and almost everyone chooses to use it. if you don't want to go the basic insurance route, you can leave the solidarity system and go buy a free market insurance policy. that's basically what you have in the US. better service, but also free market fuckery and insecurity. also,if you are filthy rich you can just drop a laundry bag of cash for every doctor visit. Basically, the rich fucks are free to do what they are already doing but the normal people get to have good healthcare through their own system too. best of both worlds

e: also, you can buy extra insurance on the free market whenever you want and for whatever you want. Like, you can get expensive dental care insurance for a couple bucks a month if you like teeth or something, I dunno.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Nurge posted:

Do you think this is a reason to not socialize healthcare, or to half-rear end any reform? Extreme problems cannot be ignored or dealt with in half measures. It can be done.

I do agree that big pharma needs torn down as well. Do to them what the US did to the Railroads back in the day.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 11, 2018

• Locked thread