Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, it really felt like that era was the worst with toxic Nintendo fans with that and stuff like people getting creepy over localization changes.

Federation Force was good if you had a full squad to go through it with and the art style was fine for being a 3DS game. I think more realistic proportions would have looked awful on that low res screen. Blast Ball was poo poo though, I’ll give you guys that one.

Yeah apart from people going crazy over vagina bone censorship, I remember also people attacking localizers for using "memes". Like a character in Zelda saying "That's the swamp of dark mystery. Such mystery. So dark." And people flipping their poo poo that Nintendo was resorting to Doge memes, when A) that isn't even the format of a Doge meme, it was grammatically correct and pairing the such and so with the proper form of speech. And B) the literal translation the line was just dry boring information

It was the year of taint reaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE37PplM5ps

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Waltzing Along posted:

Links bow will break 1/2way through every match.

The Master Sword has to be charged over the course of the match and loses energy after 10 hits.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I still think Zelda maker would be a terrible idea and wouldn't have even a fraction of the appeal that Mario maker has.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Or the rumored Link's Awakening remake/re-imagining.

Ooh, yeah, I'd be down for this, too.

I think I actually enjoyed LA more than LttP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Waltzing Along posted:

Links bow will break 1/2way through every match.

Breaking a weapon having a smash impact like Ness's bat would be acceptable.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

There is nothing on God's green earth that could've saved the Wii U

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Calaveron posted:

Oh poo poo Zelda and Link will be replaced by botw Zelda and Link, wonder how that'll change their style and movesets

I could see Zelda staying mostly the same. She didn’t change much going from her OOT to TP design.

I hope they go all out on changing Link though. Toon Link can keep the more classic Smash moveset.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Spellman posted:

There are a number of things.

1 - the announcement trailer should have explicitly shown it to be a brand new device.
2 - The gamepad should have become a secondary peripheral and the system should have been packaged with a pro controller.

Those two things alone would have made a huge impact.

They also could have released BotW as an exclusive and waited another year on the switch so that it could have tegra 2 chips or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

THE loving MOON posted:

I'm continually surprised by how good the netcode is in Crosstag. Almost all of my online matches are passable to good, it's only rarely unplayable.

I guess that's where I am. I really want Smash 5 (which I think it probably is), but if it ends up being 4 Deluxe... I mean I'll get it but :geno:

Well I'm fine with Smash 4 Deluxe, I just mean I'm worried about being let down by the new characters they decide to reveal tomorrow. Hoping for stuff I care about but tempering my expectations

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It was the year of taint reaper

I shuddered

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Spellman posted:

I remember watching the Nintendo 2014 conference and that lead to rekindling my Nintendo fandom and because of how cool everything looked, I immediately bought a Wii U and enjoyed the hell of it. Then 2015 e3 came around and was like the polar opposite and it became immediately clear the Wii U was dead.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I bought a WiiU on the cheap over a year after launch and still constantly struggled with whether or not I wanted to sell it for like a year after. Ended up being worth it but yeah it's initial lineup was pretty weak.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Wii U was good and still had a great library even knowing early on it was pretty much dead on arrival. I’m glad Nintendo is rereleasing most of its good games on Switch and I hope we get a few more Wii U ports announced tomorrow like 3D World and W101.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

There are a number of things.

1 - the announcement trailer should have explicitly shown it to be a brand new device.
2 - The gamepad should have become a secondary peripheral and the system should have been packaged with a pro controller.

Those two things alone would have made a huge impact.

They also could have released BotW as an exclusive and waited another year on the switch so that it could have tegra 2 chips or something.

I think its concept was just too flawed, nobody got into the TVii thing, because why, nullifying one of its intended purposes right out the gate. And it's a space whore, monopolizing an end table, gamepad charger, whatever legacy frankenstein poo poo you have connected to it from your Wii, possibly a connected harddrive. You just got all this poo poo everywhere that could never catch on

All for what, a dimly lit cheap Nintendo DS stylus screen. And trust me I pushed mine to its limits. Everything is sleeker than a Wii U

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Look at how bad this announcement trailer is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

100% focus on the new controller. No mention of the console at all. Only time you see the console is a white blob under the TV that looks like a Wii. Then at the end you see Wii and a controller morph into a U shape.

Unless I knew explicitly that this was the controller for the new console, I would think it was just a special new controller for the Wii.

Somehow they did worse than Microsoft did with the bone announcement. Well, as bad.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I remember being tempted to get a Wii U for a long while, but managed to hold off because there was basically nothing to play. (I remember the Zombi U bundles lol) I did end up caving on the Wind Waker HD bundle, making it the only special run console/case for me to buy.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It was one of the worst marketing efforts ever definitely, in games

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
That bit at the beginning where somebody walks in the room and immediately puts on baseball is still hilarious to me

edit: Mario huh, that's great. Hey, you know the yankees and the mets are playing at citi field right

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 11, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Wii U had a handful of really great games that made it worth having.

But if/when Wonderful 101, WWHD, SM3dW and Pikmin 3 make it to swtich, the thing will be completely obsolete. Oh, and TMS#FE.

6 games. That's the legacy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

But if/when Wonderful 101, WWHD, SM3dW and Pikmin 3 make it to swtich, the thing will be completely obsolete. Oh, and TMS#FE.

You forgot Mario Maker

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Waltzing Along posted:

Look at how bad this announcement trailer is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

100% focus on the new controller. No mention of the console at all. Only time you see the console is a white blob under the TV that looks like a Wii. Then at the end you see Wii and a controller morph into a U shape.

Unless I knew explicitly that this was the controller for the new console, I would think it was just a special new controller for the Wii.

Somehow they did worse than Microsoft did with the bone announcement. Well, as bad.

Wow lmao. I didn't remember it being that bad but no literally from that entire video you'd never know it's not a Wii peripheral .... incredible

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Wii U was good and still had a great library even knowing early on it was pretty much dead on arrival. I’m glad Nintendo is rereleasing most of its good games on Switch and I hope we get a few more Wii U ports announced tomorrow like 3D World and W101.

I'll also accept a XCX port to the Switch if they add actual (local?) co-op and not the dumb World Tyrant-only thing Wii U had. Also the addition of 2-3 reserve slots for your party so you can always bring mandatory characters plus characters you want to use (and also to dump mandatory characters in to during co-op play with friends).

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Waltzing Along posted:

You're missing an HD release of a classic Zelda game there, buddy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

goferchan posted:

Wow lmao. I didn't remember it being that bad but no literally from that entire video you'd never know it's not a Wii peripheral .... incredible

I remember the post-show E3 coverage and basically every stream was confused as to what the gently caress it was. Like GameSpot, IGN, YouTube, they were all like WTF is this?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Andrast posted:

You forgot Mario Maker

No I didn't.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Not Operator posted:

You're missing an HD release of a classic Zelda game there, buddy.

TPHD isn't anything special.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I could see Zelda staying mostly the same. She didn’t change much going from her OOT to TP design.

I hope they go all out on changing Link though. Toon Link can keep the more classic Smash moveset.

Zelda will have to change. She hardly uses any magic in BotW and is way more physical of a character. Just wearing pants gives her more of a punchy aspect, unless they decide to go the dress route, which I hope they don't. I can see them keeping the move-set but making it more Shiekah tech involved some how. What they should do is just meld Zelda and Shiek's move-sets together for this more physical Zelda, but they probably won't do that because people would freak or whatever.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The only way the WiiU is successful is to release something so different it's really not the WiiU anymore, and probably release it at least a year earlier.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

All of Zelda's moves in SSB are completely made-up, and BotW didn't give her any new moves that would need to replace her current SSB moves, so I don't see why she would need to change.

Link's boomerang and hookshot will change but that's probably it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Nintendo got seriously hosed up by being late to the HD development party

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I suppose you're right, but graphically magic would feel out of place. But that's just me. She also seems stronger and more physical in BotW and not quite as floaty. If they were to just make everything be more explosions and tech-based it'd fit the world a bit better but honestly whatever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

THE loving MOON posted:

Look when the Wii was in development only 49.9% of people owned an HD television! Just no telling if that technology was gonna stick around

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Just wanna pop in and say the last smash bros sucked rear end and the next one will also suck rear end. Scrap that garbge series and make more fire emblems IMO

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Look when the Wii was in development only 49.9% of people owned an HD television! Just no telling if that technology was gonna stick around

People vehemently argued in 2005 that HD want going to be important that generation and most people with 360s and ps3s would just use composite cables. It was really something to see.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
fire emblem bad

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Thank Zelda 2 for filling out Link's moveset, particularly his arials

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

THE loving MOON posted:

Did they? Or did they just not rely on the release first patch later mentality that others do? Every project takes time, Nintendo got hurt cause no one wanted a $350add on for the wii, so they were forced to churn out anything on deck.

Fortunately this gave us splatoon, so it was worth it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Zelda will have to change. She hardly uses any magic in BotW and is way more physical of a character. Just wearing pants gives her more of a punchy aspect, unless they decide to go the dress route, which I hope they don't. I can see them keeping the move-set but making it more Shiekah tech involved some how. What they should do is just meld Zelda and Shiek's move-sets together for this more physical Zelda, but they probably won't do that because people would freak or whatever.

The two times Zelda fights in BotW she shoots giant fuckoff magic lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jimmy Hats posted:

Just wanna pop in and say the last smash bros sucked rear end and the next one will also suck rear end. Scrap that garbge series and make more fire emblems IMO

By last Smash Brothers I'm sure you mean the previous one, Brawl, rather than the current, good one. And by next smash brothers, I assume you mean the iPhone Android Smash that is the next one after the new one being announced tomorrow

• Locked thread