Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Dark Knight Rises?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So many shows do this and it kills my suspension of disbelief.

One thing I always wonder whenever I watch a police procedural is just how much paperwork and report-filing gets involved when the good guys kill the suspect at the end of the episode. And yet the suspects commit suicide by cop every single week.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

And yet the suspects commit suicide by cop every single week.
What shows are you watching?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

One thing I always wonder whenever I watch a police procedural is just how much paperwork and report-filing gets involved when the good guys kill the suspect at the end of the episode. And yet the suspects commit suicide by cop every single week.

It's fine they're just put on administrative leave for a week to get back in time for next episode.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Hot Fuzz was apparently praised because it showed them filling out stacks of paperwork after the big shootout, as would happen in real life.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tiggum posted:

What shows are you watching?

This reminds me, would y'all say The Shield aged well, or poorly?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Slime posted:

Hot Fuzz was apparently praised because it showed them filling out stacks of paperwork after the big shootout, as would happen in real life.

My Cousin Vinny is often pointed to as a very accurate depiction of court proceedings, because Vinny isn't necessarily trying to prove the boys' innocence, but rather first show that the prosecution's evidence isn't reliable enough to convict them.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Toshimo posted:

This reminds me, would y'all say The Shield aged well, or poorly?

The soundtrack mainly hasn’t, lot of trash nu-metal and off brand rap on that. Other than that, it’s still the best police show ever made. ‘The Wire’ is not a “police show”, to forestall the inevitable comparison.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

The soundtrack mainly hasn’t, lot of trash nu-metal and off brand rap on that. Other than that, it’s still the best police show ever made. ‘The Wire’ is not a “police show”, to forestall the inevitable comparison.

I think the soundtrack aged great, trash nu-metal perfectly captures the characters of the Strike Team.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Torquemada posted:

Other than that, it’s still the best police show ever made.

Adam-12 or GTFO

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Torquemada posted:

Best American police show, perhaps.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yes, mustn't forget Poirot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tactlessbastard posted:

Yes, mustn't forget Poirot.

I was thinking of The Sweeney myself.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Torquemada posted:

The Wire is basically a documentary

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

A Grand Day Out is the only good one.

I will never get the appeal of Wallace and Grommit. It’s disgusting looking and I hate the main characters. We watched the drat thing in elementary school all the time and I intensely loathed it

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Columbo is the best American cop show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

I will never get the appeal of Wallace and Grommit. It’s disgusting looking and I hate the main characters. We watched the drat thing in elementary school all the time and I intensely loathed it

Sorry about your shriveled soul

I didn't see any till I was an adult. it's funny enough and OK.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

Sorry about your shriveled soul

I didn't see any till I was an adult. it's funny enough and OK.

Every characters dead eyes and rictus grin skeeve me out and the dog is just the dog from inspector gadget except irritating

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wrong Trousers is my favourite. I like the train chase.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
No love for A Close Shave? The Knit-o-Matic even cameos in the PS2 game based off Were-Rabbit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What was that Aardman cartoon with an ape called Tony and a clown? I know it exists.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

^^^^^^^ Charlie Chalk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agtC8X5DXIQ
Not Aardman, but the character design is kind of in that direction.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wrong Trousers is my favourite. I like the train chase.

Feathers McGraw is properly chilling at times, and one of my favourite dumb visual gags.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The big barrier I have to reading old-timey Science-Fiction is that while a lot of books have a solid concept, they're usually burdened with the author's pet-issues namely coffee, drugs, smoking, and women who don't put out. The modern day equivalent is the gross sexual-stuff Neil Gaiman puts in his short stories at random.

I feel like this sort of thing is going to just get worse and worse as time goes on since so much seems to be published these days even through official channels with little to no editorial control over content, or just shat right out onto the internet with no pretense of it even. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the role of a good editor should be akin to a music producer, helping you make whatever you've made even better, but I think as often as not that isn't the case.

An example I'd offer if the manga Made in Abyss. Neat idea, solid art, and the whole thing is rendered completely unreadable because of the guy's creepy fetish poo poo he inserts. And like, I don't think there's any good reason to have kept any of that in. None of it appears to be important to the story. A good editor would have told him to gently caress off with all that and we'd all get a nice story out of it. Maybe they toned it down in the anime. I wouldn't know, I walked away and refuse to be associated with it in any form.

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Jun 11, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

^^^^^^^ Charlie Chalk
Not Aardman, but the character design is kind of in that direction.

No, it was a claymation short-film. There's a gorilla who becomes a celebrity, and the clown he pushes out of the limelight comes back with a shotgun and says "Right then, you're a carcass."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grand Gigas posted:

My man

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ReidRansom posted:

I feel like this sort of thing is going to just get worse and worse as time goes on since so much seems to be published these days even through official channels with little to no editorial control over content, or just shat right out onto the internet with no pretense of it even. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the role of a good editor should be akin to a music producer, helping you make whatever you've made even better, but I think as often as not that isn't the case.

An example I'd offer if the manga Made in Abyss. Neat idea, solid art, and the whole thing is rendered completely unreadable because of the guy's creepy fetish poo poo he inserts. And like, I don't think there's any good reason to have kept any of that in. None of it appears to be important to the story. A good editor would have told him to gently caress off with all that and we'd all get a nice story out of it. Maybe they toned it down in the anime. I wouldn't know, I walked away and refuse to be associated with it in any form.

I applaud and respect your morals and bravery

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
They did not tone it down in the anime. Which was bad.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
You can't say there's creepy fetish poo poo and not elaborate. I want to know, but not have that in my search history.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Naked children and blood vomit.

While naked.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Why did I even ask. I didn't want to know that badly. I didn't need to know.

I make this mistake every time.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Leavemywife posted:

You can't say there's creepy fetish poo poo and not elaborate. I want to know, but not have that in my search history.

Here, I located the problem for you.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Toshimo posted:

Adam-12 or GTFO

Barney Miller, motherfucker. Barney Miller.

Seriously, though, cops all over the country loved them some Barney. You've heard of a ship-in-a-bottle episode? How about a show-in-a-bottle? All but a very few of the eps took place in the squad room/Barney's office.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Grand Gigas posted:

Agreed. We had an extensive Columbo discussion at some point in this thread. Columbo is awesome. Oh...and just one more thing, sir...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. We had an extensive Columbo discussion at some point in this thread. Columbo is awesome. Oh...and just one more thing, sir...

How many criminals just gave up to keep Columbo from harassing them with that one more thing?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Columbo didn't age well though, because it stayed on DVD and isn't available on any streaming things, you can't even buy the episodes to stream. :(
Edit: except one or two episodes on Youtube.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
I love that there isn’t an episode where Columbo fails. The man is perfect and doesn’t carry a gun and I love him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the deal with shows like St. Elsewhere which were very popular, acclaimed by critics and won loads of awards but never showed up on streaming and only ever had their first season and nothing else on dvd?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Columbo was really good, but I always thought he had it easy. I mean, they showed who killed who right at the very beginning. If anything it was weird how he had to pretend to figure it out with "clues." :rolleyes:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
It's great how Columbo broke the pattern of mystery shows - instead of the viewer and protagonist both trying to solve the mysterious case, the viewer sees the murder right at the start and knows who did it, and the protagonist knows using his infallible instincts, and the whole show is just him trying to trick them into confessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Y'all seem to be forgetting the best American police show ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRva7z8pvwc