Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ADINSX posted:

It also doesn't sound like they put in any kind of special back doors or custom features; they were consultants explaining how the platform works.

I don't think the act of teaching someone how your platform works is shady, i think the platforms themselves are shady and the clintons were stupid to pass on it.

they were too busy handing out stacks of cash to their preferred circle of consultants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
well yeah, they're corps it makes sense they'd do this for customers that pay for it

but you'd think it'd have been news is all, what with facebook search's fake news and questionable categories and pinpoint targeting, it was the employees themselves that were configuring appropriate search terms for all of it, and it's partisan as all hell (because clinton refused the same for some reason)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Yeah that just sounds like standard sales engineering. Go onsite to teach the customer how to buy ads so they can buy lots of them.

Iirc, this was covered in a few articles last year, and the only notable thing about it is Parscale is such a dimwit he thought these companies were like giving him super secret tricks about how to hax the interwebs, instead of "here's how you set knobs for demo targeting".

Edit: I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Parscale was the one who wanted them to be called "embeds" because it was very tacticool, and their sales account manager was just like "lol sure whatever, they're embeds now".

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 11, 2018

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mims/status/1006189820144734208

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

just have a computer out in the desert and all immigrants have to sign up for a facebook account, then we'll know everything about them

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I think he might have been serious

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1005785859558273024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I'm sure the investors will love this one.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Love to shoot out into the intersection when I get rear-ended.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the great thing about electric cars is they’re so much simpler than regular cars

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

can't wait for a lithium fire to trigger a cylinder explosion

with trapped occupants since they didn't read the manual to find out how to open the doors without power

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bhodi posted:

facebook, google, and twitter staffers were embedded in the trump campaign? like, as contractors, they showed up monday-friday, who were specifically selected from a group of people who had political leanings

how did this not make it to the congressional hearings? I don't remember hearing about this at all

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook-embeds-russia-and-the-trump-campaigns-secret-weapon-60-minutes/

you spend enough money on a product and someone will fly out and teach you how to use it

you spend more on the product and they might even write the code for you

doesn't matter if you're selling political campaigns or ball bearings

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol that's perfect sv thinking: reinvent the exact same scam boeing pulled 10 years ago

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maybe notch will help him out

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Endless Mike posted:

with trapped occupants since they didn't read the manual to find out how to open the doors without power

just route some air into a jet in the door duh

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

step one: remove the twelve antitamper triwing screws securing the center console...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

it's actually an emergency feature. in the case of a battery fire the cylinders will destabilize and undergo a "rapid conflagration event" which will remove all of the parts of the car from the danger area

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

On the one hand, we should mock Ole Musky for selling a roofing torch as a "flamethrower".

On the other hand, this precludes the "Ole Musky sells flamethrowers to Nazis" narrative.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1006258971093749760

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Love to shoot out into the intersection when I get rear-ended.

Grindr but for car lovers

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

you spend enough money on a product and someone will fly out and teach you how to use it

you spend more on the product and they might even write the code for you

doesn't matter if you're selling political campaigns or ball bearings

hate it when i have to update firmware on every frickin' ball bearing in the device

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's where iot comes in, friend!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

hate it when i have to update firmware on every frickin' ball bearing in the device

i meant code to target ads to sell ball bearings but

infernal machines posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

since every bearing has the same hardcoded admin password, keeping the firmware up to date is a snap!

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

it's actually an emergency feature. in the case of a battery fire the cylinders will destabilize and undergo a "rapid conflagration event" which will remove all of the parts of the car from the danger area

lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

"In the event of a fire, your blood will be used to supplement the suppression systems"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1006100899180130310

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he's a low rent max zorin, so what?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

since every bearing has the same hardcoded admin password, keeping the firmware up to date is a snap!

you mean a multicast session key of 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

whoops! lost power while pushing the update. all bearings are now stuck in a boot loop

time to dig out the jtag

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

all it is is a butane torch slammed inside a pre-made airsoft gun. i'm not joking

can't wait for the first wildfire started by some idiotass techbro

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a bad fota update is going to be the real cause of the grey goo scenario

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

command errored out before writing the final {end} statement

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/burriteaux/status/1006283188203859969

https://twitter.com/walsha_2/status/1006276394412736512

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/Info_Activism/status/1006121829986177024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

looks simple, buy snapchat, don't change anything on the front end

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

... Even worse, it is now the network of the poor and less educated ...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we made "autopilot" actually check if you're awake behind the wheel, now no one wants to use it. thanks NTSB :argh:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1005879049493725186

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 11, 2018

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
don't worry. even if facebook isn't popular anymore there will always be some rear end in a top hat running a social network. which specific rear end in a top hat it is doesn't matter all that much.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
people won’t use it, negatively affecting safety,

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he keeps insisting that autopilot use increases safety, but he hasn't actually backed that up with anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

he didn't say compared to what