Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Renegret posted:

the gently caress is happening here

Facebook Aunt posted:

We're dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Calling it: Starfield will be an game, set in space, which will give you some fun times. You'll probably have more fun times if you wait some months and buy the GOTY edition, with DLC thrown in and the glaring launch bugs ironed out.

I noticed a marked trend in the E3 threads over the weekend of everyone retroactively making GBS threads on games that were pretty much universally beloved in the first 1-5 years of their existence. I read widespread agreement that none of the Fallouts were actually any good, and all of the Elder Scrolls games were actually crap, and that anything set in space except Tie Fighter (installed from floppies only) was just a pile of garbage that no one enjoyed at all. I read that ME:A sucked, ME3 sucked, and ME2 wasn't actually very good, either, really, when you think about it. Apparently the Gears franchise has always sucked, and you were just lying to yourself if you enjoyed any of the Halos.

I don't understand what's behind this wave of anti-nostalgia and/or historical-revisionism-via-hot-take, but maybe everyone should just quit getting mad at video games.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Renegret posted:

making a meat puppet obviously, goonie!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm also a little jealous because I don't think my knife skills are good enough to do that so cleanly.

I mean, I haven't tried, but...

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

mdxi posted:

I don't understand what's behind this wave of anti-nostalgia and/or historical-revisionism-via-hot-take, but maybe everyone should just quit getting mad at video games.

I think they're the same people that don't like movies unless they're "films."

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

mdxi posted:

Calling it: Starfield will be an game, set in space, which will give you some fun times. You'll probably have more fun times if you wait some months and buy the GOTY edition, with DLC thrown in and the glaring launch bugs ironed out.

I noticed a marked trend in the E3 threads over the weekend of everyone retroactively making GBS threads on games that were pretty much universally beloved in the first 1-5 years of their existence. I read widespread agreement that none of the Fallouts were actually any good, and all of the Elder Scrolls games were actually crap, and that anything set in space except Tie Fighter (installed from floppies only) was just a pile of garbage that no one enjoyed at all. I read that ME:A sucked, ME3 sucked, and ME2 wasn't actually very good, either, really, when you think about it. Apparently the Gears franchise has always sucked, and you were just lying to yourself if you enjoyed any of the Halos.

Crobbers showed us the way, all falls short compared to the BDSSE!

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

mdxi posted:

The only video games that are any good are the ones that never actually came out. Chris Roberts shrewdly anticipated this market shift.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

monkeytek posted:

Crobbers showed us the way, all falls short compared to the BDSSE!

BDSSE, A Poem

I only watch movies that are films
and play games that are art
Chris Roberts makes movie games
That make all others look like those from Derek Smart

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?
If star field turns out to be a classic Bethesda single Player RPG, definitely getting it on console so the family can play it on the family room couch. My wife enjoys exploring the world and lore of Fallout & Skyrim. TBH I'm not the biggest fan of Bethesda games. I tried to play through new vegas and never quite got into it. Never bothered with Fallout 3 & 4. Played through Skyrim and thought it was okay, but enjoyed Dragon Age more.

Pretty much all I play on PC are flight simulators of some kind and a couple FPS's like Squad and Battlefield. Not sure if I'm going to get BF5 or not. I picked up BF1 on launch and premium a few months ago when it was $15. But I've been on a DCS kick as of late.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Starfield isn’t going to kill Squadron 42 because Squadron 42 is invulnerable until it finally releases.

But it’ll add another thing to eventually compare Squadron 42 to, which increases the risk that Squadron 42 looks like the bargain bin ripp-off if the graphics, cinematics, story, etc. aren’t up to par.

And if Squadron 42 falls short, “Star Citizen from the creators of Squadron 42” becomes a joke, like if someone announced a Duke Nukem Online MMO. But no pressure, Roberts.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

mdxi posted:

It's manchildren adopting a world-weary affectation in an attempt at faux sophistication. If you want to be happy in life, have fun doing things you enjoy, and be unapologetic about it. Ask any old man or woman who seems happy what their secret is. They'll basically say what I just did.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mdxi posted:

Facebook Aunt posted:

We're dumb as hell.

Gamers are loving stupid and always find stuff to complain about way after the fact, usually in some desperate attempt to feel superior because they weren't tricked by the marketing and evil corporations

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Devolver Digital said they were bringing back some classics because gently caress yeah money and it turns out there still isn't a sequel to Rampart and I just want you all to know you're all dumb as hell.

Give me Rampart 2: Electric Boogaloo already, you fucks! :argh:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

mdxi posted:

Ad sales, mostly. After that, it's basically just the entertainment/entertainment news complex producing an ever increasing boom/bust cycle to promote new content over old content.

More seriously, saying 'Fallout 4 is iredeemable poo poo' and wandering off means that there's a discussion that take place between two broad bases that have a spread of differing opinions rather than hard and fast opinions. It's a mild variation on 'say something inflammatory' that can cause an explosion in conversation between people answering the inflammatory comment and others pointing out that it IS inflammatory. it's one of the reasons that you literally have to point out that free speech isn't actually free and it's an American concept that has been mediated by at least eighty years debate on what it is, where you can say it, and why you can't simply say any old poo poo that comes into your head.

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

If star field turns out to be a classic Bethesda single Player RPG, definitely getting it on console so the family can play it on the family room couch. My wife enjoys exploring the world and lore of Fallout & Skyrim. TBH I'm not the biggest fan of Bethesda games. I tried to play through new vegas and never quite got into it. Never bothered with Fallout 3 & 4. Played through Skyrim and thought it was okay, but enjoyed Dragon Age more.

Witcher 3 any? I bounced off that until I hit the sofa, and then ran through the whole thing.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You're a really bad person.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Folks, I'm talking about Dwarf Fortress. The Ultimate Auteur (and Autism) game.

It's super detailed, it simulates loving everything from air concentration to the boiling temperature of dwarf eyelashes. It doesn't have a story, it's more of a hardcore universe sim sandbox. It generates fantastic stories for everyone who manages to get into it. And it's the product of one (well two, but primarily one) man's fevered imagination.

And it's also a great example of runaway feedback systems in a very large number of agents. Very small perturbations in relatively stable systems lead to utter collapse, which if you're a student of chaos and non-linear systems is pretty much the definition of emergence. Dorfortress is the granddaddy because they're notoriously resistant to adding the guardrails that most people would if it turns out your late game turns into a kitten apocalypse.

https://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/

Beet Wagon posted:

You're a really bad person.

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeat

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Calling All Devs - Escape Pods & Agent Smithing

Well this should be interesting.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Spoiler: Agent Smithing is dead

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

There's also an issue with our culture that something is either The Best or The Worst. I liked Fallout 4 ok, but it's seriously flawed. I'd give it a 6/10, upping it to a 7 if you include mods. If you got me to review Skyrim within the first month of launch, it would be an 8, but ask me now after I've had time to discover the flaws and how truly small the game is despite the square km available, I'd bump it down to a 7.

Now since this is the internet, fans of the game who will give it a 9 or 10 out of 10 think I hate the game because I had the audacity of rating it not perfect. People who hate the game think I'm secretly sucking Todd Howard's dick since I didn't give it a 1/10.

Look at IMDB scores for just about any movie. Quite often the number of 1 ratings is more than 2, 3, and 4 put together. People are bad at being objective, and people are really bad at being critical of things.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

'There's no point in escape pods if you freeze to death a few hours later'

drat, their hands are so tied. Interesting that the ejector seats are problematic because they detach the player (who is the ship) from the ship (they are the ship) and that would normally be 'cleaned up'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4crMh87Beo&t=84s

Fashionable Jorts posted:

People are bad at being objective, and people are really bad at being critical of things.

And it's why they rate everything at 6-7 and why I hunt for gameplay videos without some 'nana with a bad accent telling me about it.

Writing was on the wall when they started frontloading the first hour of gameplay.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 11, 2018

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Fashionable Jorts posted:

There's also an issue with our culture that something is either The Best or The Worst. I liked Fallout 4 ok, but it's seriously flawed. I'd give it a 6/10, upping it to a 7 if you include mods. If you got me to review Skyrim within the first month of launch, it would be an 8, but ask me now after I've had time to discover the flaws and how truly small the game is despite the square km available, I'd bump it down to a 7.

Now since this is the internet, fans of the game who will give it a 9 or 10 out of 10 think I hate the game because I had the audacity of rating it not perfect. People who hate the game think I'm secretly sucking Todd Howard's dick since I didn't give it a 1/10.

Look at IMDB scores for just about any movie. Quite often the number of 1 ratings is more than 2, 3, and 4 put together. People are bad at being objective, and people are really bad at being critical of things.

I rate this post a Star Citizen quarterly release out of 4.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Renegret posted:

It's called reverse sear, you should give it a try, it's awesome

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1006100327635013632
https://twitter.com/_nl1/status/1006225288332824578
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1006244333253791749
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/1006228314166583296
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/1006240470425620480

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

tuo posted:

It's called reverse sear, you should give it a try, it's awesome

is that gif just showing the rarity of the core of the finished product or is it part of the preparation? or what is it exactly i cannot figure it out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mdxi posted:

Human beings are mostly lazy and simple minded and live to boil things down to binary thinking.

So games that start great and go rotten tend to have people holding onto them as great even though they've become okay but flawed. Then you hit a critical mass and the switch flips from great to terrible.

But really new vegas and halos 1-3 were great, fallout 4 and halos 4 and 5 sucked donkey balls

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

For comparison's sake, here is - to the best of my knowledge - the only thing resembling a "trailer" that we've ever seen for Squadron 42:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FF-ewiwmhs

Cripes, it's aged hasn't it.

In Chris' endless pursuit of fidelity, surely he is gonna be compelled to redo this.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4crMh87Beo&t=253s
Reliant is not big enough and needs to be bigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4crMh87Beo&t=402s
Aurora and 300 are being fixed so they can carry boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4crMh87Beo&t=593s
Weather is on the backlog...

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 11, 2018

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

mdxi posted:

that is a shame because fallout 3 and new vegas were good games at least to me.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hav posted:

There's a relationship there that effectively ends in 'wait for a review, you don't need that skin', and becomes easier the closer you are to death, because I have shelves full of useless crap. My fallout boy bobblehead is my treasure, however.

There's no reason to put this here, but I'm going to;

Just make sure you rinse it out well afterward.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Fieldmedic85/status/1005028651165872128

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

mdxi posted:

making GBS threads on things after the wave of love has passed will always be the safest way and when it comes to opinion the internet is primarily about making GBS threads on things.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

As your funding runs dry
Cos' you told to many lies
That's Chris Roberts

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 11, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Hav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4crMh87Beo&t=253s
Reliant is not big enough and needs to be bigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4crMh87Beo&t=402s
Aurora and 300 are being fixed so they can carry boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4crMh87Beo&t=593s
Weather is on the backlog...

Man CIG is just going from strength to strength these days. I think we may finally be at the fabled inflection point we’ve been waiting for!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Snazzy Frocks posted:

is that gif just showing the rarity of the core of the finished product or is it part of the preparation? or what is it exactly i cannot figure it out.

You reverse it (pull it inside out) and then sear it again. If it is a non-boneless cut, it also easily removes the bones.

I'm also totally honestly not pulling your leg.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

Ask any old man or woman who seems happy what their secret is. They'll basically say what I just did.

Either that, or they will say they just got their end away at the local over 70s orgy at the bingo hall.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1006017004288036864
https://twitter.com/aerwidh/status/1006091662207209472
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1006123658052587520

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Who cares? At least its going to see a release (probably)

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Sounds like Beyond Good and Evil 2 might be hitting a lot of the things Star Citizen wants to do. It also says its pre-alpha still but their videos don't seem to be dieing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

YOUTUBE: Todd Howard confirms Starfield playable, in production not pre-production, and a project “we’ve been working on for years.”

I’ve seen a lot of redditors saying “they just started on this and all they have is a teaser so it’ll be years.” I dunno. I wouldn’t be surprised if the target is Q4 2019.

I’m really glad Todd is talking about it. If we had another year of youtuber speculation videos, I think things would really start to get stale...