Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Apraxin posted:

Well, gonna share my misery with the appropriate thread, also gonna say you probably shouldn't read if you have young kids.

So, I'm a pediatric nurse. I adore my patients. I read this. It bothered me so much I shared it with one of the other nurses. Later that morning we read a news story locally about a kid that was abused like this, fed feces, etc. and died.

We spent our lunch break talking about both cases, kind of trying air it out so we could file it away in that part of your brain where it doesn't torture you whenever you see a kid that reminds you of either of the ones that died.

It got really dark. Do you send the parents to jail? Death penalty? Mental hospital? What do you do to punish or rehabilitate someone that does those kinds of things to a child?

What would we do if we had them in that hypothetical no-consequences-room? Well, we ultimately decided that killing them would be over the line, if for no other reason than we would have to live with it. But we'd toe the line. To the absolute razor's edge. They would suffer, forever.

Maybe the darkest conversation I've had with a coworker in a long time.

Thanks, thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

a mysterious cloak posted:

So, I'm a pediatric nurse. I adore my patients. I read this. It bothered me so much I shared it with one of the other nurses. Later that morning we read a news story locally about a kid that was abused like this, fed feces, etc. and died.

We spent our lunch break talking about both cases, kind of trying air it out so we could file it away in that part of your brain where it doesn't torture you whenever you see a kid that reminds you of either of the ones that died.

It got really dark. Do you send the parents to jail? Death penalty? Mental hospital? What do you do to punish or rehabilitate someone that does those kinds of things to a child?

What would we do if we had them in that hypothetical no-consequences-room? Well, we ultimately decided that killing them would be over the line, if for no other reason than we would have to live with it. But we'd toe the line. To the absolute razor's edge. They would suffer, forever.

Thanks, thread.

Yeah you might want to take a break from this thread

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

a mysterious cloak posted:

Thanks, thread.

talkspace.com

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Welp today I learned that Peter Madsen, Danish submarine builder and dismemberer of journalists, was once on the quirky, fun series “Nordens Herligste” (~”Scandinavia’s Finest”) which was hosted by the Ylvisåker brothers (aka Ylvis, aka “the What Does The Fox Say guys”). [edit: This was well before the murder, but the submarine they tour is the one on which Madsen killed Kim Wall.]

The narration and captions are in Norwegian, but the interview is in English because Madsen doesn’t snakker Norsk.

It seems especially creepy that this dude was on a series that, along with the earlier “Norges Herligste” (“Norway’s Finest”) was primarily about finding fun, bizarre, off-the-beaten-path people and conducting silly, lighthearted interviews. Though, tbqh, a few of them did seem to be the skin-suit-making type.

(So it’s not the most unsettling thing, but I’m trying to avoid getting too morose in this post-Bourdain world.)

Busket Posket has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Jun 9, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Busket Posket posted:

Welp today I learned that Peter Madsen, Danish submarine builder and dismemberer of journalists, was once on the quirky, fun series “Nordens Herligste” (~”Scandinavia’s Finest”) which was hosted by the Ylvisåker brothers (aka Ylvis, aka “the What Does The Fox Say guys”).

The narration and captions are in Norwegian, but the interview is in English because Madsen doesn’t snakker Norsk.

It seems especially creepy that this dude was on a series that, along with the earlier “Norges Herligste” (“Norway’s Finest”) was primarily about finding fun, bizarre, off-the-beaten-path people and conducting silly, lighthearted interviews. Though, tbqh, a few of them did seem to be the skin-suit-making type.

(So it’s not the most unsettling thing, but I’m trying to avoid getting too morose in this post-Bourdain world.)

European and Asian television have this weird thing where the interviews with celebrities are somehow more twee and artificial than even north and South American television and I can’t quite put my finger on why. Everything is just so overproduced and everyone involved acts like a robot that’s about to go on a rampage

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
murderbåtmannen

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think I'd be alright beating a child murderer to death. I'd be able to live with myself.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Yeah that really wouldn't be much of a blip on my conscience. Torturing someone is extremely not a thing I could do.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think I'd be alright beating a child murderer to death. I'd be able to live with myself.

If you are rationalizing something the same way as the person you're angry at things are probably going wrong somewhere

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

xtal posted:

If you are rationalizing something the same way as the person you're angry at things are probably going wrong somewhere

Maybe? But that's kinda how rationalization works. Like in general.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe? But that's kinda how rationalization works. Like in general.

Normally rationalization is a bad thing in case you were not aware

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I don't know if you can rehabilitate someone who does that stuff to a child. Like even if there were external matters that warped their judgement and personality, even if they express regret and are heartbroken once they're in a better mental space, even if there was untreated mental illness involved and they get medicated and get help and think of the child they hurt every day with regret... I dunno if that's someone who ever gets to be trusted to take care of a kid ever again, even the hypothetical where they get much much better.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lol the worst part of this thread is goons going "yeah man just get me alone in a room with one of them child murderers...I would push the boundaries of human pain..."
It's edgy bullshit

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah man just get me in a room alone with these child murderers and I'll show you the real meaning of frantically looking around for the key.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Lol the worst part of this thread is goons going "yeah man just get me alone in a room with one of them child murderers...I would push the boundaries of human pain..."
It's edgy bullshit

Yeah, it's apparently a reflex for some people.
After I survived a house fire, many people volunteered how they would torture the arsonist.
It's unnerving how easily people say they would become monsters.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's edgy bullshit

I used to think that too, but I actually tapped in to my inner darkness a few years ago. See I had enough of children always getting murdered by this tall, blonde sex predator. When they were talking right in front of me in the street and holding arms and talking and all that, I said, "Shut. The. Hell. Up." The pedo looks around and walks over, trying to look menacing. Martial arts studies come in. I take a punch to the forehead and then slide under and punch him in the stomach, he goes backwards and I land another one to his face. I then go berserk and full body tackle him. He managed to crawl away, and say, "That goon ...is inhuman!"

Anyway that’s the story of how I beat up Albert Einstein etc.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

*stands up and starts clapping

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
imagine being locked in a room with someone that is willing to kill kids, sounds dangerous

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Post poste posted:

Yeah, it's apparently a reflex for some people.
After I survived a house fire, many people volunteered how they would torture the arsonist.
It's unnerving how easily people say they would become monsters.

Makes me wonder how much overlap there is with the crowd that wonders why people who don't believe in a god aren't just murdering and raping all the time.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

datajugend posted:

imagine being locked in a room with someone that is willing to kill kids, sounds dangerous

I don’t know that Glenn beck locked the doors in his studios

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

datajugend posted:

I dunno, it’s kind of like a lion that only kills baby gazelle. It’s really not that impressive.

I mean its not like “oh no he murdered a helpless child imagine what he could do to a full grown human who can fight back.”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I mean he’d probably still win on account of “has murdered before” vs “has not and probably never will” but you know

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

fruit on the bottom posted:

I mean he’d probably still win on account of “has murdered before” vs “has not and probably never will” but you know

I dunno, most people are itching to live and will defend themselves against someone trying to murder them very hard.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't know if I've ever been "locked" in a room with a murderer, but I sure have drank and hung out with a few of them. Never really felt worried, but most of them were gang members and I wasn't so nothing to worry about and the other was a really close friend, so he doesn't count.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ive known people who have murdered before, but I wasn’t really close to anyone. Closest was probably a kid I used to share a room with at the beach when we were younger and he randomly split a South Korean exchange student girls skull in half with a meat cleaver while she fled screaming in terror. He legitimately is severely mentally ill though but it didn’t surface until his early 20s in college

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My point wasn't about whether or not the child killers ur in a room with are formidable opponents guys lol I was more addressing the sort of edgy teenager comic book bullshit solace and the like seem to often engage in itt. It's the most juvenile, empty, and tedious sort of performative poo poo.

It's been posted about before but I always found the business plot pretty unsettling
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

quote:

The Business Plot was an alleged political conspiracy in 1933 in the United States. Retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler claimed that wealthy businessmen were plotting to create a fascist veterans' organization with Butler as its leader and use it in a coup d'état to overthrow President Franklin D. Roosevelt. In 1934, Butler testified before the United States House of Representatives Special Committee on Un-American Activities (the "McCormack-Dickstein Committee") on these claims.[1] No one was prosecuted.
Whatever almost really happened aside the sort of people that would fund this sort of thing eventually accomplished most of their anti human political goals anyway so a military coup was probably cartoonish and unnecessary in retrospect.

Similarly Operation Midnight Climax if only because it really makes you contemplate the sort of ridiculous horrifying experimental unclassified things we're spending money on. Brings to mind the chemical corps general who thought LSD would be the bloodless weapon of the future.
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/When-the-CIA-ran-a-LSD-sex-house-in-San-Francisco-7223346.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Midnight_Climax

quote:

The project consisted of a web of CIA-run safehouses in San Francisco, Marin, and New York City. It was established in order to study the effects of LSD on unconsenting individuals. Prostitutes on the CIA payroll were instructed to lure clients back to the safehouses, where they were surreptitiously plied with a wide range of substances, including LSD, and monitored behind one-way glass. Every one of these acts was blatantly illegal, but several significant operational techniques were developed in this theater, including extensive research into sexual blackmail, surveillance technology, and the possible use of mind-altering drugs in field operations.[2]

The saddest story for me hands down tho (other than obviously purestrain horror like the mass government sterilization of people of color and the Tuskegee experiments) was this dude Harold Blauer though...just like a random tennis player trying to get some basic help whose life was hosed forever.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Blauer

quote:

Blauer checked into the New York Psychiatric Institute in late 1952, seeking help for depression following a divorce. While at the facility, he was used as a test subject in experiments conducted by the Army Chemical Corps. The Army had a classified agreement with the psychiatric institute that allowed them to study possible chemical warfare compounds by administering the substances to patients.[1] 450 mg of MDA (tenamfetamine), an analogue of the recreational drug MDMA, was administered intravenously as part of the Army's study which killed Blauer on January 8, 1953.

Blauer had no knowledge of the experiment being performed on him, and after his death the experiment was covered up by the state of New York, the U.S. government and the CIA for 22 years.[2] In 1987, a United States District Court judge awarded Blauer's estate over $700,000 in a ruling that described Blauer as a "guinea pig" whose medical records had been altered to disguise the actual cause of death.[1]
His story is one of those that just...stays with me ala the Hi-Fi murders unfortunately.

Now on a serious note, get me alone in a room with one of those business coup plotters and welllllll...they'd finally get why my first name is "the Joker" and my middle name is "why so serious" and my last name is "dragon ball z" :twisted:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

This was a "see also" on the Blauer article:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Olson

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
I don’t think that I’ve seen this story posted yet.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ple-police-say/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

gyrf posted:

quote:

At times, the couple tried to turn soldiers at the military academy where they worked into unwitting cannibals, slipping “canned human meat” into their food.

Probably because they couldn't tell the meat apart from what they were already served.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

gyrf posted:

https://twitter.com/Times_Of_Trend/status/912748382514446336?s=20

:wtf:

chitoryu12 posted:

Probably because they couldn't tell the meat apart from what they were already served.

Such a marked improvement surely would have been noticed.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Aesop Poprock posted:

he randomly split a South Korean exchange student girls skull in half with a meat cleaver while she fled screaming in terror

haha what

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
that lady definitely has the expression of someone who just ate people

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think I could live with myself if I ate people. :colbert:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

What would you do with the you who chose to eat people if you could get that you alone with you in a room

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Probably live with him. Though that could get tiresome. I'd have already heard all his stories.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like people enough to talk to them, let alone eat them

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The other problem is if they're prepared the wrong way that could color your perception of people for life. Like I ate just plain boiled brussel sprouts as a kid and thought I didn't like them at all until I had some balsamic roasted ones.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Punkin Spunkin posted:

that lady definitely has the expression of someone who just ate people

There was something about this when that tweet first went up. I think the woman in the picture might have been one of the victims and not Lady MacMunch

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Solice Kirsk posted:

I doubt anyone else could live with you, though. For long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I misremembered and she’s actually still alive but yeah I used to share a bed with this kid

https://lancasteronline.com/news/me...3cb99dbfd6.html