Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of course it goes for people who like stuff too much as well as people dislike it, but the latter are more frequently the ones going out of their way to go after people.

I think it's mostly internecine within a fan community with people who are really passionate fans of something. I don't think people who liked a movie have ever impelled one of its cast to quit social media, for instance. (Which I think is fairly rare, but that makes it more notable when it does happen.)

Well, there was that one creep who really liked Tiny Toons and stalked Tress MacNeille. It predated social media, but she cancelled con appearances because of it.

Alternatively, there's the people who really like a thing that go bugfuck about people who criticize it, which was one of the pillars of the whole Gamergate thing aside from misogyny.

And just to make things more on-topic for this subforum, there's always HEAT, the group of angry nerds who took out paid ads in their quest against the new direction that DC was going with Green Lantern in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ToastyPotato posted:

Oh definitely, it is a totally different scope of problem. Harassers are a more critical issue for sure, but I have to feel that at least part of that is born from general toxicity in fandoms. I generally really like Star Wars, but I did not care for TLJ, and I can definitely say that as someone who found the film flawed, the behavior of people who did like the film completely turned me off, and at times legitimately frustrated and angered me. Now thankfully, I am not some insane maladjusted rear end in a top hat, so the only result was kind of just removing myself from that whole area of geekery, but I can imagine lots of people being pushed into the welcome arms of more extreme, lovely people. I mean, none of this blow up happened with The Force Awakens. There were definitely bigots and assholes there too, but they were mostly drowned out by an overwhelming positive response.

No, this happened before. Daisy Ridley left instagram before TLJ came out, John Boyega got a TON of crap just for being a black man in Star Wars, and fan response played a role in both Jake Lloyd's mental breakdown and Hayden Christensen giving up acting.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
John Lennon got shot, so this has been going for a while.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

No, this happened before. Daisy Ridley left instagram before TLJ came out, John Boyega got a TON of crap just for being a black man in Star Wars, and fan response played a role in both Jake Lloyd's mental breakdown and Hayden Christensen giving up acting.

those last two things are insane lies

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I should clarify that I didn't mean that people didn't harass anyone before TLJ. Like I said, the bigots and crazies definitely existed even for TFA, but it wasn't the mainstream narrative. And one thing I have definitely noticed is 'fans" attempting to use the pain these people are going through as a means to further shut down criticism of the movie by doing the exact same thing these idiot harassers are doing but with a "positive" spin (conflating the actors and their characters.) And there are numerous "influencers" (sorry I can't think of a better term) on social media that stoke those flames.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

I should clarify that I didn't mean that people didn't harass anyone before TLJ. Like I said, the bigots and crazies definitely existed even for TFA, but it wasn't the mainstream narrative.

The difference between the two is that Trump wasn't president for the first one. :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jake Lloyd quit acting because he developed schizophrenia.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Alaois posted:

Dude, even Mark Hamill has commented on the Jake Lloyd stuff being too much pressure for a kid. People who have known him have stated him to have been very troubled by the mere mention of Star Wars and his getting teased. The writing on the wall is there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Dude, even Mark Hamill has commented on the Jake Lloyd stuff being too much pressure for a kid. People who have known him have stated him to have been very troubled by the mere mention of Star Wars and his getting teased. The writing on the wall is there.

Except Jake Lloyd was bullied in school about his role so he quit long before his diagnosis.

As for Hayden Christensen, he's been acting for years now. His most recent role is in a movie called Little Italy. Also he might've gotten more Star Wars money as his voice was used in Star Wars: Rebels recently.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alaois posted:

Yeah, crazy prequel defenders keep trying to throw in those completely made up things in there with the genuine harassment of modern actors as some kind of way to smear people who disagree with them on what movies are good in their pet franchise, and it's pretty ugly and opportunistic.

Nodosaur posted:

Dude, even Mark Hamill has commented on the Jake Lloyd stuff being too much pressure for a kid.

Yeah, because he was made the central character in a sequel to the most popular franchise in north american pop culture. It's not "fans being mean" that put pressure on him, it's just the fame. And understandably so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jake Lloyd has absolutely spoken about being bullied due to being Anakin, but it was largely from peers he interacted with daily, which isn't at all like being harassed across social media. But yeah, schizophrenia probably ended any ambitions he may have had. Christensen never stopped acting though, so I don't know where that came from.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wil Wheaton had to deal with all that stuff too, people yelling at him to shut up, people wishing he'd die (on the show and also irl) and it hosed him up for a while. I think you can acknowledge that the star wars prequels are bad without dismissing any effects fan outrage might have had on the kid, which I don't think any of us are really qualified to say anything about.

But if he quit school and developed schizophrenia I guess there might be something to the rumors.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I see. I apologize for the assumption on the Hayden thing, guys.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

People take fiction far too seriously and I'll never understand it. If you don't like something that's fair enough but it's no big deal at the end of the day. It's only movies/cartoons/books/etc.

purple death ray posted:

Wil Wheaton had to deal with all that stuff too, people yelling at him to shut up, people wishing he'd die (on the show and also irl) and it hosed him up for a while. I think you can acknowledge that the star wars prequels are bad without dismissing any effects fan outrage might have had on the kid, which I don't think any of us are really qualified to say anything about.

But if he quit school and developed schizophrenia I guess there might be something to the rumors.

For real. I mean, I like to pretend season 4 of the Boondocks never happened, but that's as far as it goes. I'm not gonna track down the people who run BET and demand an apology or threaten them like a crazy rear end in a top hat. I always thought how much people hated Wil said a lot about fandom as a whole.

Sometimes poo poo we like goes sideways. C'est la guerre, Charlie Brown.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 12, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

purple death ray posted:

Wil Wheaton had to deal with all that stuff too, people yelling at him to shut up, people wishing he'd die (on the show and also irl) and it hosed him up for a while.

That's true, Wheaton really was patient zero for social media fan hatred, with alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die and all that want he? What a dubious distinction.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Remember when Metal Gear Solid 2 came out. And there's a part of the game where the evil AI tells you that it needs to control and censor the Internet because unchecked it would run rampant and every toxic idea and opinion would just pollute all dialogue and cause all communication to break down?

And how at the time we were all like "no way man! The Man just wants to control us, they can all go to Hell! Freedom forever!"

Yeah well 16 years on I can say, MGS was right.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Metal Gear Solid 2 was a crazy prescient game, it's funny how it was dismissed as nonsensical at the time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1006627598938656769?s=19

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

gently caress a film. I want a new series!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

pubic works project posted:

gently caress a film. I want a new series!

*Greg Weisman begins plotting 7-season story and movie*

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, DC starting their own streaming thing got a new run of Young Justice. Maybe Disney will greenlight more Gargoyles for their thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

"Greg, this is just King Lear with the names changed."

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

TwoPair posted:

:bisonyes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Greg, this is just King Lear with the names changed."

You could do a lot worse.

Desdemona and Macbeth wanting to kill each other despite that being the only way they could die was pretty loving :black101:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is the new season of Young Justice coming out or what?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's going to be on the DC streaming service which, as far as I know, doesn't have a start date yet. It will have the new season of Young Justice and a live action Teen Titans show with future plans being shows for Harley Quinn and Swamp Thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.newsarama.com/40294-dc-universe-streaming-service-planned-launch-month-revealed.html

DC expects to launch their streaming service in August 2018 and will also add comics as well. No one knows what comics.

The live action Swamp Thing, Titans, Doom Patrol, and Metropolis as well as the cartoons Young Justice: Outsiders and Harley Quinn are all in development to launch with it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Titans is the only thing we've seen actual set stuff from though right? Because if those other shows are gonna be at launch, they would have needed to be in productions already.

Also I thought the comics thing was basically the DC equivalent of Marvel Unlimited?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Also I thought the comics thing was basically the DC equivalent of Marvel Unlimited?

We're hoping it will be, but historically whenever one of the big two does something smart (on purpose or on accident) the other one runs as far as they can in the opposite direction.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

muscles like this! posted:

It's going to be on the DC streaming service which, as far as I know, doesn't have a start date yet. It will have the new season of Young Justice and a live action Teen Titans show with future plans being shows for Harley Quinn and Swamp Thing.

So with the news that AT&T are buying Time Warner, I imagine that any DC streaming service will probably get swallowed by an eventual AT&T based media service.

Which sounds great....until they start throttling the Internet speeds on any of AT&T's competitors.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Appearntly Marvel's Animation department is dying. All of their shows are ending.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The second season of Spider-Man hasn’t even aired yet though? They can’t kill another good Spider-Show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TheHan posted:

The second season of Spider-Man hasn’t even aired yet though? They can’t kill another good Spider-Show.

Marvel's head of animation is actually Norman Osborn. Only lovely spider-toons get a full run.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TheHan posted:

Season 2 of Spider-Man aired on June 18th with a clip episode to explain away the summer and an episode that brought back Doc Ock in an obvious "I'm doing bad poo poo but I'll hide it" thing.

It's...not a good start, really.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Is this the Spider-Man where everyone is in weird science academies?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

pubic works project posted:

Is this the Spider-Man where everyone is in weird science academies?

The one where every single person is as smart as Peter so the only thing that separates him from everyone else are his spider-powers? Yep, same one.

Also Miles is "Kid Arachnid" or something and he's incredibly stupid, despite being in the same science academy as Peter.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

The one where every single person is as smart as Peter so the only thing that separates him from everyone else are his spider-powers? Yep, same one.

Also Miles is "Kid Arachnid" or something and he's incredibly stupid, despite being in the same science academy as Peter.

Yeah I thought this series was stupid as gently caress. I preferred the one where he worked for SHIELD. Also prefer EMH over Avengers Assemble.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I don’t think that’s all entirely fair. It is a bit weird they gave everyone except Flash an intelligence bump, but Peter still stands out with how he interacts with other characters. I actually like this show more than the last one since it almost never did anything with the Peter Parker part of Spider-Man. Oh and the animation was bad, the jokes were bad, the art was stiff and everyone and their mom had spider powers to the point where Peter lead a team that was only Spider-Men.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

everyone and their mom had spider powers to the point where Peter lead a team that was only Spider-Men.

Wasn't that a plot for a episode of the new series.

TheHan posted:

The season will air. But it's won't get another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wasn't that a plot for a episode of the new series.

The season will air. But it's won't get another.

Where'd you find this information? All I'm seeing is rumors from like January that were debunked when the new seasons all were announced.