Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bust Rodd posted:

Can anyone with a brother way in on whether you'd ever be able to cope with your brother loving your ex-wife/mother of your child? I kind of feel like "No, it would probably be the last time we ever spoke, if either of us survived the fight" but then again we've never ever come close to something like this. I kinda hooked up with the girl he lost his virginity but we were all friends, and in college i tried to get this girl to sleep with me and my girlfriend and she ended up loving my brother a few days later, but both of those were basically immediately water under the bridge non-issues.

Please, married goons with brothers, is this realistic? And how awkward do you think Niles made every subsequent gathering after that?

Given their... entire life history between them, I think they're both quite well equipped to deal with awkwardness.

It seems like it's hard to draw a recognisable caricature of Frasier.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
season 1 hair + the face of wwe superstar the undertaker seems like it would capture the essence of the man

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

lol but seriously I posted:

season 1 hair + the face of wwe superstar the undertaker seems like it would capture the essence of the man

maybe it's hard to draw a recognizable caricature of the undertaker

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

That episode is tough.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That episode is tough.

One of the weaker ones by far. Still better than any of the ones with Dr. Mary. Or the Halloween episode with Daphne's mom and the little kid.

My roommate is watching all of Cheers followed by all of Frasier and last night I caught that Nanny G was actually in Cheers as well. They've had like 3 different people playing that character.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

The Hambulance posted:

Veneer! *drinks*

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1005883294771286017?s=19

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Watching through the first time, what episodes should I pay full attention to?

About to finish season 1 and this show does in fact rule, but I'm doing it while working so I don't wanna miss the Best Episodes.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Loutre posted:

Watching through the first time, what episodes should I pay full attention to?

About to finish season 1 and this show does in fact rule, but I'm doing it while working so I don't wanna miss the Best Episodes.

Frasier is fine throughout which is actually an incredibly high bar to clear for television. Maybe the penultimate season gets a little rough, but don't kid yourself that your time is all that important

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's simultaneously the perfect background noise and a consistently smart and funny sitcom. I think if something happens that really demands your full attention, it'll do a pretty good job grabbing your attention on its own.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sir Lemming posted:

It's simultaneously the perfect background noise and a consistently smart and funny sitcom. I think if something happens that really demands your full attention, it'll do a pretty good job grabbing your attention on its own.

Just listen for the Grammerian Bellow

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Brawnfire posted:

Just listen for the Grammerian Bellow

I love every occasion when he bellows GET OUT

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes yes

thhheee onnnneee onnnnn thhhhhe raaaadiiiioooo

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think the fact they were all good friends outside of just working on the show together really comes through in the show too.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think the fact they were all good friends outside of just working on the show together really comes through in the show too.

Sorry about your poo poo life kelsey grammer. sorry it made you how you are.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Timby posted:

I love every occasion when he bellows GET OUT

Every "shut up, Niles!" was in exactly the right spot. They didn't overuse it, either. :discourse:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wait, I thought they all liked Kelsey too. Please don't tell me they didn't. :(

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's a deep and moving show and it's also the wacky bullshit nonsense I watch while getting drunk after a taxing day at work.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Making fun of snobs is an endless well of comedy to draw from, and Frasier did it on a consistent basis and executed it perfectly, with style, even.

The veneer (VENEER! *drinks*) of the show is high society, but ultimately it is a show of the people and for the people, the snobs almost always get their comeuppance.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, I thought they all liked Kelsey too. Please don't tell me they didn't. :(

They generally loved him, but him being some permutation of high and drunk on the set, to the point they literally had to halt production for a month, wears on you.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just love how as soon as people on set called him Frasier instead of Kelsey, he was suddenly no longer a shambling boozehound, but an erudite wit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sounding like Wesley Snipes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Brawnfire posted:

I just love how as soon as people on set called him Frasier instead of Kelsey, he was suddenly no longer a shambling boozehound, but an erudite wit.

The depressing thing about Grammer is that a few years ago (after years and years and years of sobriety), he proclaimed that he had been cured of alcoholism and went back to drinking every day.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
LE CIGAR VOLANT

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

I've been watching this show for the last few weeks and season 9 is pretty rough. So many stupid decisions in this season:

- Roz gushing about her garbageman boyfriend, Roger. I guess they figured this was a way to show personal growth but oh man was it painful to watch.

- Crane Boys Mysteries. Once just a throwaway line, they keep going back to this well in season 9 and it makes no sense.

- Cam Winston was funny but they threw the character's potential away by making them friends instead of a rival who keeps showing up Frasier.

- Daphne's family sucks.

- Too many feelz and not enough funny in general.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Like most shows, it's very hard to keep quality up as it drags along year after year after year.

US television is plagued by this problem of not just ending shows before they start to go stale because we gotta squeeze every loving dollar out of everything before we'll let it die.

LE CIGARE VOLANT

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think season 8 is where I was up to when I started losing interest. Probably could use an episode guide from here on.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think season 8 is where I was up to when I started losing interest. Probably could use an episode guide from here on.

Avoid anything that deals with Niles/Daphne or Daphne's family and you'll be fine.

Also, people are overstating how bad the later seasons are, it's still better than most bad TV.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Cam Winston was the character where I most felt they dropped the ball. Daphne's family has been dull without exception, but I really enjoyed the "nemesis" aspect of Cam.

It's doubly annoying because Martin's dealings with Cam's mom would have been a great counterpoint. Family dinners where Frasier and Cam would have to pretend to get along, etc. A shame.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Experiment posted:

- Crane Boys Mysteries. Once just a throwaway line, they keep going back to this well in season 9 and it makes no sense.

This gave us what might be one of the single best line readings of all time though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41OW_1RCNsU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Someone post something outrageous so I can quote it and put "mercy!" as my response that would be good.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the flying cigar

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mercy!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lol but seriously I posted:

Someone post something outrageous so I can quote it and put "mercy!" as my response that would be good.

SILENCE

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://twitter.com/Kimpton/status/999666334697951232

This is a painting in a Seattle hotel.

They also have one of Famous Software Man, Famous Guitar Man, and That Balding Guy from the Dave Matthews Band.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
what was the winning caption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

"Frasier has a Napoleon complex"