Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
sounds exciting and potentially very cute. I just hope we don't jump to be the dad in the actual game and have another child-rearing simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Tired Moritz posted:

sounds exciting and potentially very cute. I just hope we don't jump to be the dad in the actual game and have another child-rearing simulator.

I didn't realize I was tired of this premise until I read this and groaned inwardly. I don't want this either.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Eurogamer got to play some of the episode and they said it's entirely from the kid's perspective.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Eurogamer is a pretty good source for info on all things LiS, they're huge fans of it but not afraid to call it out on stuff. Their playthroughs of S1 and BtS are pretty entertaining too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRHlqHFz5VY

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Life is Strange is a game that's very enthusiastically loved or hated by many, but rarely understood. For all that is said and written about this series there are like two people out in the wild who can convincingly articulate what the game is actually about.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Stare-Out posted:

Eurogamer is a pretty good source for info on all things LiS, they're huge fans of it but not afraid to call it out on stuff. Their playthroughs of S1 and BtS are pretty entertaining too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRHlqHFz5VY

Aoife and Johnny are great, they make some seriously entertaining videos together.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Life is Strange is a game that's very enthusiastically loved or hated by many, but rarely understood. For all that is said and written about this series there are like two people out in the wild who can convincingly articulate what the game is actually about.

More or less. Take Chloe for example, generally I found that a lot of people that don't like her have either not finished the game or else didn't understand what the writers were trying to convey. If you think about it, there's nothing in BtS that wasn't already present in Chloe's character during the first game, all the prequel did was expand on things a bit. Though to be fair, since a large portion of LiS' plot is explicitly about her, if you hate the character then odds are you're not going to enjoy the rest of the game all that much.

I actually like the fact that with a handful of exceptions, there really aren't many truly good or truly bad people in this series. Everyone is flawed in some manner and I hope Season 2 manages to continue that level of depth (the writer and director from the original are back for this so there's a pretty good chance of that too). I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with this and just how much they decide to connect things back to the first game.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

What are you talking about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
captain spirit looks twee as gently caress

and also good af

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm looking forward to this Stupendous Man/Spaceman Spiff game

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

precision posted:

captain spirit looks twee as gently caress

and also good af

It's basically Calvin & Hobbes: The Game based on that trailer (which I'm down for), I look forward to seeing what kind of dark/depressing twist they wind up dropping on us towards the end. I wonder if they're going to tone down the language a bit in this one or if we're going to see a 10 year old boy swearing like a sailor. A male protagonist is unique for this series at any rate even if it turns out that Chris isn't the star of LiS 2 (and I kind of doubt he's going to be even if it takes place a few years later).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 11, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Exactly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's kind of wild that DONTNOD just came out with a fairly expensive game, have another expensive-ish looking game coming out (the Alan Wake looking one), have LiS 2 in the pipe, and now this

Other studios should take note of this work ethic

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

VagueRant posted:

I don't buy it even a little. Like places that only covered the initial episode maybe but any outlet that followed it to the end knows exactly what that game is actually about.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's about killing a lovely town.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure if this would be too complicated to implement or not but rather than picking a "canon" ending to LiS, Season 2 would instead read your save file and adjust story details depending on which ending you picked (and if you don't have a completed LiS save file said elements would just be randomized).

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I don't imagine any tie-in will go beyond "Hey hosed up what happened to Arcadia Bay" or "Hey hosed up what happened to that girl at Mom's old school".

I'll be happy to be wrong though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Viridiant posted:

I don't imagine any tie-in will go beyond "Hey hosed up what happened to Arcadia Bay" or "Hey hosed up what happened to that girl at Mom's old school".

I wouldn't be happy to be wrong. I really don't think there needs to be anything more to the story of LiS and I'm hoping any references are not actually critical to the plot itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah it's time to move on, please do not Clementine the series Dontnod.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Viridiant posted:

Oh I imagine things won't go beyond some vague references/easter eggs but you never know. A cameo or two from some of the old guard would be fine but I think the primary focus of the game should remain firmly on the new cast and story.

Besides, we've already got the upcoming comic to continue Max and Chloe's story, there's no need to drag them into this game as well. That said, I wouldn't mind if Ashly Burch or someone else from the first game (or BtS for that matter) came back to play a new character in Season 2 though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 11, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

How do you think that the kid will die? Alcoholic father seems like a red herring to me so I dont think it's going to be because of him directly. My money is on him drowning Bridge to Terribithia style!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the kid will live (to be killed off in season two proper).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

How do you think that the kid will die? Alcoholic father seems like a red herring to me so I dont think it's going to be because of him directly. My money is on him drowning Bridge to Terribithia style!

We see the kid's got an overactive imagination (he's basically Calvin, right down to the Stupendous Man and Spaceman Spiff knockoffs) so I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up being accidentally responsible for his own death somehow and it leads to some fallout that the LiS 2 protagonist(s) has to deal with.

Though then again, seeing as the only other person we've seen so far is his dad, it could be possible that Chris doesn't really have any friends. Another possibility is that he lives but his life winds up going to hell, essentially growing up to become the second coming of Chloe Price.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 11, 2018

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Let's get into the important stuff - is Chris confirmed gay?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Basically nothing new from the Squenix presentation today. They just said that the teased thing is not LiS2 and that it is just an introduction to "Chris's story" which makes me think that he will not die any longer.

Sad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Looks like no actual LiS 2 announcement, just the free prequel episode thing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Once again Eurogamer is on point

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1006227146879242240

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Looks like no actual LiS 2 announcement, just the free prequel episode thing.

Captain Spirit is at least confirmed to be connected to LiS 2 (which they did say would be announced "soon"). I'd expect the actual announcement to come before too long though, it just won't be at E3 like we assumed. And hey, we're getting a new Life is Strange game in just a few weeks so I can't really complain too much.

Of course, it's still possible that it might show up at Sony's conference though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 11, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

actually I take it back. That kid is still going to die

Larryb posted:

Captain Spirit is at least confirmed to be connected to LiS 2 (which they did say would be announced "soon"). I'd expect the actual announcement to come before too long though, it just won't be at E3 like we assumed. And hey, we're getting a new Life is Strange game in just a few weeks so I can't really complain too much.

I have to imagine the date of LiS is going to be at the end of the prequel thing. Kid gets hit my a train, montage of family crying and a town mourning. Boom, release date.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

That's why they can't show any footage of LiS 2 before it comes out!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I have to imagine the date of LiS is going to be at the end of the prequel thing. Kid gets hit my a train, montage of family crying and a town mourning. Boom, release date.

There's at least going to be some kind of tie-in at the end at any rate. Plus, we don't know how long after Captain Spirit LiS 2 actually takes place around. Hell, it could pick up 2 years later (finally bringing the series into the modern day).

I agree that Chris is probably doomed though, either he dies or at best he lives but winds up becoming another Chloe. The fact that this is the main theme doesn't exactly convince me this is going to end that happily either.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 11, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

How do we know that LiS2 takes place after The Adventures of Captain Spirit? For all we know, the series might be running on Fargo rules and jumping around the timeline nonlinearly. So we could be following his mom's adventures before Season 1 and Before The Storm is Season 2, and the links will be discovering hints of what happened to her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

How do we know that LiS2 takes place after The Adventures of Captain Spirit? For all we know, the series might be running on Fargo rules and jumping around the timeline nonlinearly. So we could be following his mom's adventures before Season 1 and Before The Storm is Season 2, and the links will be discovering hints of what happened to her.

Interesting idea, but I doubt it considering they also said that some of your actions in Spirit will have consequences in LiS 2 (in fact, apparently this entire game was originally going to be part of Season 2 but they decided to make it it's own thing instead).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 11, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Interesting idea, but I doubt it considering they also said that some of your actions in Spirit will have consequences in LiS 2 (in fact, apparently this entire game was originally going to be part of Season 2 but they decided to make it it's own thing instead). But you never know.

Looks like you just definitively settled that question.

So LIS2 will take place somewhere between 2016 and 2018, unless you want to imagine that it will take place in the future, which is silly and won't happen.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I feel like I’m missing something with most of y’alls deep connection with these voice actresses

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it would be kind of interesting if the reason Captain Spirit is free is because it serves as the announce trailer for LiS2 but i don't see how they could keep that from leaking in the modern internet era

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

precision posted:

it would be kind of interesting if the reason Captain Spirit is free is because it serves as the announce trailer for LiS2 but i don't see how they could keep that from leaking in the modern internet era

I'm thinking that Captain Spirit ends in such a way that to show an LiS2 trailer before it comes out would spoil what happens.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I'm thinking that Captain Spirit ends in such a way that to show an LiS2 trailer before it comes out would spoil what happens.

Yeah, I think that's definitely part of it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I'm also pretty sure that the most important link to Season 2 will be in how Captain Spirit ends. I kind of doubt Chris is going to be our actual protagonist in LiS 2 (though whether it ends up being another teenage girl still remains to be seen) but I'm guessing he and his family will still play a major role in the story regardless. We'll most likely start getting some concrete information on the next proper entry in the franchise after this game is released (from the sound of things this is pretty much LiS 2's equivalent of Farewell, only in this case it got released first).

Still though, I'm kind of looking forward to this. I like how the supernatural element this time is (as far as we know) just relegated to Chris' imagination and with there being multiple ways of getting through the day/accomplishing certain tasks it sounds like there's going to be quite a bit of replay value here. Plus, a new LiS game in just 2 weeks is much better than I was expecting.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain Spirit Gameplay (doesn't really spoil anything we didn't already know by now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cfU8J1h4p0

Do we know any of the voice actors for this game yet? Chris sounds a little familiar to me somehow (also not completely sure if that's a woman or an actual kid playing him).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 14, 2018

• Locked thread