Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Best way to do this is the Ways into the Mansus, but there are a few books out there to get you started. Check Morland's and Oriflammes.

I can't find my way into the area. I am still in the waking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The way there the first time is to dream about Passion, then put a Knock or Lantern (maybe some others, but those definitely work) lore in the slot.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Won my first not-living-a-boring-life game. I'm going to give it a rest and then try to actually make sense of things instead of putting cards wherever they fit. Feel fry to critizise my end game setup:

I could probably have won 3-4 hours earlier, but didn't notice that [spoiler]"talking" to prisoners increased my Marks
, so I was just piling up Lore just for the sake of accumulating it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
And now I need other sorts of lore. Is it only books or can places get them to me?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

And now I need other sorts of lore. Is it only books or can places get them to me?

Mostly books, but the rarer books are on expeditions.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So I just got my first win.

As I used 50 forge in the power rite, I got a "standard" rather than a minor victory the rest of the thread is reporting. I'm wondering if that sun achievement isn't for calling the guy you need the 14 lantern lore to learn about? I sure as hell didn't summon that guy at the end of the game, I was about to win!

End game really needs some work, there's far too much dumpster diving for the numbers/tech you need to get the last mark. I got lucky and pulled the book with the Intercalate Rite, but I can imagine getting frustrated diving into the peacock door -> fixing the mirror -> diving into the door -> trying to keep King Crucible summoned -> etc.

Also where the hell is Fucine? I kept picking up Fucine books but never found the language. Oh well.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I think all the ascension victories are “standard” victories. The other category is minor victories, such as being an accountant at G&G for the rest of your life. There seems to be a rich and poor version of that one, judging from the achievements.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
which cults are good vs bad? lantern seems like garbage but it also seems like summons just do everything for you anyways

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

which cults are good vs bad? lantern seems like garbage but it also seems like summons just do everything for you anyways

Lantern, Forge and Grail are equally easy mode because they're aligned with one of the victory conditions and Restlessness has those three aspects, so you can turn reliably everyone into disciples super early

Two disciples of whatever will guaranteed pass any expedition test so getting to that point quickly is ideal

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm legit convinced Society of the Hours is the best cult, as you don't actually need exalts and demons will be supplying your endgame expeditions/assassinations/whatever anyways.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Exploring with heart or followers or what? Is there a difference?

edit: to be a little more specific here's where I keep getting stuck.

Start a cult > Collect Morland Books > Have a ton of lore of each time thats 2/4/6 > Get to the Woods > ????

I don't have enough lore to do the rights, not sure where to go.

Late reply to this, but nobody else mentioned it - It's actually really easy to get past the Woods to the next step, at least. Put Way - The Woods into Explore, then instead of putting passion in, put Lantern 4 or Knock 4. Bam, you get Way : The White Door. The White Door gives a couple of useful bits that the Woods does not, notably Restlessness to use as a Trapping in cultist upgrades, or to create Dread to defeat Fascination.

I think White Door + Lantern or Knock 8 gives you the Stag door, which then gives you a riddle as to what it wants to let you progress, that's different every game

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 12, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The Stag Door riddle is different every game, yeah, and to solve if you have to read the text associated with other cards and figure out which scrap of esoteric knowledge sounds like the riddle solution.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

I think all the ascension victories are “standard” victories. The other category is minor victories, such as being an accountant at G&G for the rest of your life. There seems to be a rich and poor version of that one, judging from the achievements.

No. There's only a poor victory from G&G. The other victory you're thinking of is succeeding at detectiving.

Wolpertinger posted:

Put Way - The Woods into Explore, then instead of putting passion in, put Lantern 4 or Knock 4. Bam, you get Way : The White Door. The White Door gives a couple of useful bits that the Woods does not, notably Restlessness to use as a Trapping in cultist upgrades, or to create Dread to defeat Fascination.

I think White Door + Lantern or Knock 8 gives you the Stag door, which then gives you a riddle as to what it wants to let you progress, that's different every game

You can also use the knowledge of the Dead (Winter 4+) to get to the White Door. Then from the White Door you must Desire something enough (it's your victory card, any level of it will do).

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Pirate Radar posted:

The Stag Door riddle is different every game, yeah, and to solve if you have to read the text associated with other cards and figure out which scrap of esoteric knowledge sounds like the riddle solution.

As far as I can tell, Moth 6 will always work. At least it has "a solution to the riddle" on it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Brought to trial 3 times with damning evidence, each time I was exonerated.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Also where the hell is Fucine? I kept picking up Fucine books but never found the language. Oh well.

Summon a demon to teach you. I’ll have to check my madman-style notes, but I think it requires Stories and Moth(?)

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Summon a demon to teach you. I’ll have to check my madman-style notes, but I think it requires Stories and Moth(?)

The Baldomerian. Lantern / Secret Histories / Knock.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tehan posted:

The Baldomerian. Lantern / Secret Histories / Knock.

Ezeem teaches you something too, but I can’t remember what it was.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

It's Phrygian.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

megane posted:

It's Phrygian.

Cool, then I’m pretty sure I learned Fucine from a book or other item.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I actually learned Fucine from a book I found on an expedition. I wonder if that's possible for all the occult languages

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I kinda love how the easiest way to get prisoners, when you start needing to feed them to Spider, or the thing you're becoming is to bum around the criminal underworld for a while, hire a likely sort, and then ask them if your cupboard smells like chloroform. Money is way easier to come by than outlets for Notoriety.

This run's frustrating, though. I've run out of unique T4 expeditions, still no mirror at all. I suppose I could start grinding repeatables, but what levels even are the mirrors?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

As far as I can tell, Moth 6 will always work. At least it has "a solution to the riddle" on it.

Nope. The Stag Door can and does require non-Moth lore to answer the riddles. The Moth 'solution to the riddle' is for specifically when the door wants Moth.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pirate Radar posted:

And King Crucible will teach you Mandaic. Each of the Name summons can teach you a different dead language.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Here is a giant honking wallpaper version of the Mansus, for those of you who didn't back the kickstarter.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Lol @ the angry bois in the top left and right

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Glazius posted:

I kinda love how the easiest way to get prisoners, when you start needing to feed them to Spider, or the thing you're becoming is to bum around the criminal underworld for a while, hire a likely sort, and then ask them if your cupboard smells like chloroform. Money is way easier to come by than outlets for Notoriety.

This run's frustrating, though. I've run out of unique T4 expeditions, still no mirror at all. I suppose I could start grinding repeatables, but what levels even are the mirrors?

Uncommon and Rare. Merging lores to get T5 and T6 expeditions might be a better use of your time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

From the latest kickstarter update: "Watch this space while Alexis and I finish post-launch bug fixes, and then move on to new content for Cultist. There's more than one way to bring the Dawn."

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So, for 'special' paintings I dropped in 3 passion, a 6-strength heart lore as the inspiration, and used a heart pigment as the paint.. and it ate the paint and gave me nothing - what did I do wrong? Pigment is really rare for me so that's frustrating.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

And King Crucible will teach you Mandaic. Each of the Name summons can teach you a different dead language.

I got Mandaic from a bowl. I like the redundancy.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Wolpertinger posted:

So, for 'special' paintings I dropped in 3 passion, a 6-strength heart lore as the inspiration, and used a heart pigment as the paint.. and it ate the paint and gave me nothing - what did I do wrong? Pigment is really rare for me so that's frustrating.

This is something the game doesn’t communicate well, it’s not like Rites where it tells you when it’s going to do something. I had success with four Passion and a combined 12+ from Lore and the paint. Also, the paintings are 8, so if you ever get a Tool that’s 8+ in that aspect then you don’t really need the painting.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
You're just short on the numbers you need. I believe you need at least 14 (maybe 12?) of an aspect before a special painting will be created. Moth is far easier to create than the others because each Passion card you use adds +2 Moth to the painting.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

I got Mandaic from a bowl. I like the redundancy.

Yeah, there's a book for everything- including Vak, though that one's a rare drop so I've never seen it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, there's a book for everything- including Vak, though that one's a rare drop so I've never seen it.

Found that in the Mansus, peacock Door. Straight up Scholar - Vek, IIRC

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's no way to produce Dread on demand is there? :(

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Talk to the Investigator about Winter lore

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Work -> Decrepitude to beg is pretty consistent but takes 90 seconds. Winter Lore on Talk -> Hunter also works, or so I am told.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But I need it NOOOW.. whoops there goes another one to fascination.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Two of the three cards you can get out of the revealed node in the white door decay into dread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The biggest error you can do in this game is sleeping on dangers. The moment a Fascination or Dread doom shows up you should focus all your efforts into stopping it.