Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I've found out Duncan does his personal Stormcast Balthasar Gold, Druchii violet wash, balthasar gold sycorax bronze, so I'm thinking of doing them the same for a slightly darker, richer and less washed out gold.

I'll do the Shadespire Farstriders as a test (and a first scout unit for the army) then ask for feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I can't decide between Seraphon and Tzeentch Daemons for my first AoS army. Someone sell me on one or the other.

The Lord of Change is an amazing model, and I like the dreamlike look of Tzeentch's Daemons. Pink Horrors remind me of the Pinky Demons from Doom. On the other hand, Seraphon have dinosaurs and also dinosaurs that ride other dinosaurs into battle.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

LifeLynx posted:

I can't decide between Seraphon and Tzeentch Daemons for my first AoS army. Someone sell me on one or the other.

The Lord of Change is an amazing model, and I like the dreamlike look of Tzeentch's Daemons. Pink Horrors remind me of the Pinky Demons from Doom. On the other hand, Seraphon have dinosaurs and also dinosaurs that ride other dinosaurs into battle.

Dinos riding Dinos (who are all a frog remembering his friends)

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Seraphon are in a good place come AoS 2 cos they're in line for new Summoning and magic and stuff, plus they're Aztec Dinosaurs riding Dinosaurs. Tzeentch has a lot of fiddly filigree to paint from what I hear.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 10, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Sorry - I should have posted a link: http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2017/03/the-unofficial-tomb-kings-battletome.html?m=1

He's working on the Warhammer community page, and as such, I don't know if he would be forbidden from making the AoS 2 changes that would be required...

Though, as professional as his PDF looks, they need to hire him full time.

Yeah, this looks really professional and I'm a big fan of the lore direction of "Settra is a forgotten god, Tomb Kings serve Nagash but really don't like it at all, gently caress off Sigboys." Not sure I like how the army works in practice - I like armies with big characterful allegiance abilities (Maggotkin, Idoneth) and a Mortal Wound save plus some pile-in shenanigans doesn't do it for me. The weird rules around having Nagash and company around seem fiddly. There's a lot of rules like the Carrion movement that could be easily simplified. I'd rather they removed the big dumb centerpiece models from the rules or had them in scenario play only rather than awkwardly stating "ask your opponent even in a competitive game."

I'm very tired and that was a lot of random thoughts. Does a good community battletome for Bretonnia exist as well?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
BTW, my gaming group does featured battle reports:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec8K0hgjlHs

I may play in a future one.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GreenMarine posted:

Oh hey, I've been watching their stuff. I really like them, The Path to Glory videos are great.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In some news some images of the realm maps form the new white dwarf have been leaked.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Didn’t, the last time this discussion started, someone look it up and discover that GW haven’t actually filed any copyrights for the new names? It could very well be SEO focused changes.

ah yes, more seo focused so when you search for the new lizardmen name, you get hosed up furry artwork as well

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GreenMarine posted:

Which one are you and whats your army. For all the videos I might as well add.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 11, 2018

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Which one are you and whats your army. For all the videos I might as well add.

I haven’t been in any. I may bring Clan Pestilins to one? We’ll see.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GreenMarine posted:

I haven’t been in any. I may bring Clan Pestilins to one? We’ll see.

Cool

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

LifeLynx posted:

Tzeentch Daemons can easily be expanded into including Kairic Acolytes, Tzaangors etc as part of a wider Disciples of Tzeentch force and still retain lots of the allegiance bonuses.

Also Lords of Change are giant birds. Dinosaurs evolved into birds. Thus Tzeentch is the superior choice.

It does sound like you should go for Seraphon though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I had just started putting together a Lizardmen army before AoS... happened. What's going on with the whole Seraphon thing? Most of what I hear sounds reeaaaally stupid. Is there more to it than it looks or might it be something they'll be backpedalling/redoing in the second edition?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I had just started putting together a Lizardmen army before AoS... happened. What's going on with the whole Seraphon thing? Most of what I hear sounds reeaaaally stupid. Is there more to it than it looks or might it be something they'll be backpedalling/redoing in the second edition?

They're probably not going to change anything, but you can just play your lizardmen.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly, the seraphon stuff is one of my favourite bits of the new fluff. It's really cool.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Hey there everyone! I'm a long time 40k player but I'm looking forward to diping my toes on AOS with the new boxed set. Has GW confirmed any pricing? Rumor I have heard indicate its going to be the same price as dark imperium but I haven't seen anything oficial.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

papasyhotcakes posted:

Hey there everyone! I'm a long time 40k player but I'm looking forward to diping my toes on AOS with the new boxed set. Has GW confirmed any pricing? Rumor I have heard indicate its going to be the same price as dark imperium but I haven't seen anything oficial.

I think that was confirmed yesterday in their high level information overview post.

Somewhere in here https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/10/next-week-the-soul-wars-begin/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If nothing else, my LGS said that the starter is 160, the Malign Sorcery box is 85, and the GHB is 35.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Do folks trade stuff around here? I need a single stormcast liberator (not a snap fit one) and this weapon:

I'll buy, or I have a variety of old skaven, bretonnia, empire flagellants, wood elf, and goblins lying around if you want to make a trade

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone here splitting boxes and ending up with extra books?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Well I just did my Farstriders with the same recipe Duncan uses for his personal Shadespire guys - Balthasar Gold, Druchii Violet wash, Balthasar Gold, Hashut Copper (though he uses Sycorax Bronze).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNt37-zJhew Tutorial

I did the last two stages as drybrushes, not edge highlighting, and it was very quick and looks pretty good.

Going for that for my Stormfront Eternals. Just need to work out a good scheme for my ghosts.

Thundercloud fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 11, 2018

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I just jumped into AoS last week, I bought the start collecting box for Daemons of Khorne, and I'm painting it now.

As it stands I have:
1 Blood Throne
10 Bloodletters
3 BloodCrushers

I'm trying to get up to the points I need but I feel as if Shooting from the hip will cost me serious coin, and I may end up screwing myself. Is there anywhere I can read up on builds for the different factions? I'm brand new to this game, but a lot of guys at my LGS are jumping in, and we all picked different Factions, so the potential for some great battles is pretty real. I'd just like to build a well rounded army.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TKIY posted:

Is anyone here splitting boxes and ending up with extra books?

Pretty sure they’re selling the book by itself this time.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Pretty sure they’re selling the book by itself this time.

They did before too, but it wasn't worth buying.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The living spells thing is at a much better price than I figured it would be, nice.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

berzerkmonkey posted:

They did before too, but it wasn't worth buying.

I meant in comparison to the 40k book that came with Dark Imperium. I don’t think they e made that book available to purchase on its own yet.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I meant in comparison to the 40k book that came with Dark Imperium. I don’t think they e made that book available to purchase on its own yet.

https://www.warhammerdigital.com/warhammer-40000/rules/dark-imperium-ebook.html

Pretty sure it was out very soon after launch, if not the day of.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thundercloud posted:

Just need to work out a good scheme for my ghosts.

I'm trying to think of one too. I don't really enjoy painting cloaks so an easy scheme for them would be a lifesaver.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Isn't that what the new spooky paints are for?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Isn't that what the new spooky paints are for?

That's for spraying them white and then just washing them.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Frank Viola posted:

I just jumped into AoS last week, I bought the start collecting box for Daemons of Khorne, and I'm painting it now.

As it stands I have:
1 Blood Throne
10 Bloodletters
3 BloodCrushers

I'm trying to get up to the points I need but I feel as if Shooting from the hip will cost me serious coin, and I may end up screwing myself. Is there anywhere I can read up on builds for the different factions? I'm brand new to this game, but a lot of guys at my LGS are jumping in, and we all picked different Factions, so the potential for some great battles is pretty real. I'd just like to build a well rounded army.

As long as your play group doesn’t make a hard turn toward top tier competitive lists you can’t really screw yourself that bad. Your battleline and heroes are the heart of your army and there are few bad choices for those in any faction. Synergies are easy to identify and exploit.

The main forum for list discussion is The Grand Alliance. What I would recommend is getting your Blades of Khorne battletome after you have a few games with the SC box and checking out the battalions you can build toward.

Also it’s not super clear in the rules but you can include anything with Khorne keyword in your army without penalty, so you can branch out into the Khorne mortals and Slaves to Darkness if you like the look of those angry men.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
1d4chan also has tactics overviews for most armies, though they very in how often they've been updated.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I am hype for Ghosts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_320Vn45cc

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I ordered two sets of the Stormcast half of the 1e starter and the guy sent me 4.

What the hell am I gonna do with all these mounted Celestants?

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Danimo posted:

As long as your play group doesn’t make a hard turn toward top tier competitive lists you can’t really screw yourself that bad. Your battleline and heroes are the heart of your army and there are few bad choices for those in any faction. Synergies are easy to identify and exploit.

The main forum for list discussion is The Grand Alliance. What I would recommend is getting your Blades of Khorne battletome after you have a few games with the SC box and checking out the battalions you can build toward.

Also it’s not super clear in the rules but you can include anything with Khorne keyword in your army without penalty, so you can branch out into the Khorne mortals and Slaves to Darkness if you like the look of those angry men.

I did get that far with figuring out the key words in battlescrolls and I've heard khorne bloodbound is a great synergy. Thanks for the info.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I got a few forgeworld big boys this month and the first one up on the painting table was the Colossal Squig. Managed to get him done in two days. I wasn't sure if blue skin would work but I really like how it came out.

My FLGS is having a last hurrah for AoS 1 this saturday and this guy will slide into my Spiderfang army as a distraction pin cushion.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
I love squigs so much and that is a good rear end ginormo squig.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Who needs eternal spells when you’ve got a squiggo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Speaking of Eternal Spells, the warcsroll for the Balewind Vortex has been "leaked" on the AoS reddit. It's changed to +1 to Saves, +6" range on spellcasts and an extra spellcast per turn for (and this is even more rumour-ier than normal) 40 points.It seems like an okay buff for a wizard and definitely the end of Kroaknado. The amount of text they need to describe how to use it is pretty lol - presumably they still don't have a consistent default rule for going in buildings or something like that.

• Locked thread