Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Blackchamber posted:

Man Mary Poppins must have been into some kinky poo poo if she liked the looks of that...

But now I finally understand why Bert wore drop-crotch trousers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The actual code is the reverse of what's on there.

That's how they keep people with dementia from wandering outside, while allowing visitors to exit without having to bother staff.

Pretty depressing, really.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

No gold at the end of this rainbow.

Just a drunk redneck with a shotgun.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's how they keep people with dementia from wandering outside, while allowing visitors to exit without having to bother staff.

Ah thats smart actually :smith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flipperwaldt posted:

I saw a picture of one dementia ward where they disguised the door as a bookcase to keep patients from identifying it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like the ones with the fake bus stops to trap the patients.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

I saw a picture of one dementia ward where they disguised the door as a bookcase to keep patients from identifying it.

This would also work in most schools.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

disguise doors in schools as students so the shooters go after them instead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

ekuNNN posted:

yeah noone said anything close to that.

this is the normal protocol for locking up blind people or small children

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

How's life as a 68-year-old man upset at millennials?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Speaking of locking doors, the NRC has repeatedly 'recommended' that we put a more accessible locking mechanism on our hot lab door than our current tumble lock. Corporate has never changed the lock on the door. Properly securing radioactive material is just not worth $100.

:fireman:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Like a hotdog in a breezeway.

:emptyquote:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Asproigerosis posted:

Speaking of locking doors, the NRC has repeatedly 'recommended' that we put a more accessible locking mechanism on our hot lab door than our current tumble lock. Corporate has never changed the lock on the door. Properly securing radioactive material is just not worth $100.

:fireman:

Take the signage off so people don't know there's cool stuff in there.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh

Dillbag posted:

Woman detained after feces flinging incident at Langley Tim Hortons

http://theprovince.com/news/local-news/woman-detained-after-feces-flinging-incident-at-langley-tim-hortons

I've always joked about dropping trou and making GBS threads on the floor of a business that has maligned me, but I've never actually had the guts to do it.

How can you post this without posting the vid, obs not work safe.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uJsLc_1526456276

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Uncle Rico?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Volcott posted:

Take the signage off so people don't know there's cool stuff in there.

To be honest, there isn't anything cool in there. Just a couple ancient vials of Co57 and Cs137, and a Co57 sheet source.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Its too bad M C Escher didn’t live to see his house completed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mostlygray posted:

I had a block heater do that to me once. The whole car was energized at 110. Thank God for boots.

I had a lab balance that somehow energised the stainless-steel pan at 24V (this confused me because it was plugged into a 12V power wart).

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Just another day in East Cleveland.

(Don’t slow down when driving through East Cleveland or you’ll DIE.)

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

ekuNNN posted:

yeah noone said anything close to that.

Platystemon posted:

Why would it matter which ingredient was at fault?

They’re both in the same employer‐provided paint.

It would only matter if the women went up the chain and sued the radium mines.

:v:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My mother asked me to change a burnt-out light bulb at my parents' house. Okay.

It was a CFL, and came apart in my hand when I touched it. Twice. Somehow I didn't get cut. Eventually gingerly grabbed it by the plastic base and got it out, and put the replacement in... which immediately lit up.

JESUS CHRIST BITCH, AT LEAST FLIP THE SWITCH OFF. Yeah, partially my fault for not checking, but you don't expect a lightbulb to disintegrate in your hand, it's one of the safer things to swap on a live circuit.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
"Why does it matter which ingredient is at fault, the employer is at fault either way" is hardly the same as "those women shouldn't have bothered fighting Radium Dial Corp."

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

he literally says the employer is at fault

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Chillbro Baggins posted:

My mother asked me to change a burnt-out light bulb at my parents' house. Okay.

It was a CFL, and came apart in my hand when I touched it. Twice. Somehow I didn't get cut. Eventually gingerly grabbed it by the plastic base and got it out, and put the replacement in... which immediately lit up.

JESUS CHRIST BITCH, AT LEAST FLIP THE SWITCH OFF. Yeah, partially my fault for not checking, but you don't expect a lightbulb to disintegrate in your hand, it's one of the safer things to swap on a live circuit.

I was remodeling a house with my GF and I had to cut an old 240 line to pull up the old flooring. My GF said she flipped all the breakers, she was good at this but forot that the 240 breaker was outside. I welded a pair of tin snips shut. Lots of sparks and I am glad they were insulated. I always check now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Look, you said:

Labes for days posted:

It's pretty cool that a century later, people are still parroting the line used by all those radium dial production companies to deny hundreds of women medical treatment and wrongful death benefits.

The radium dial production companies are liable regardless of the exact mechanism of action.

The injuries could have been the result of demons trapped in the paint and it wouldn’t change the facts that paint was unsafe, management knew it was unsafe, and they allowed/encouraged/forced the women to work with it in a dangerous manner.

The employer is liable, full stop.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Elysiume posted:

"Why does it matter which ingredient is at fault, the employer is at fault either way" is hardly the same as "those women shouldn't have bothered fighting Radium Dial Corp."
The ingredients mattered because phossy jaw would have been caused by phosphorus, which iirc was not in the paint used then, therefore the employer could not be held liable for damages. They would just go "this is a mistery, but it's not our fault, so up yours ladies"

In any case, the book provides a good backstory for that. Back then, diseases caused by work hazard had to be discovered/registered during or before the 5 years that followed the end of your employment there. Depending on the type of isotopes they used (their half-life specifically), it could take more years than that to get sarcoma.

So the Radium Girls had to fight to:

1. get the government to change rules on work disabilities to cover disabilities discovered more than 5 years after the fact
2. work around the company doctors and all kinds of unrelated doctors / dentists (because the jaw is where it showed up first) to get access to old radiographies and records to prove the type of disease was not phosphorus-related (since there was no phosphorus in their paint), and prove that the same kind of sarcoma could happen from radiation (no such or little such data existed at the time)
3. work around all kinds of legal tricks and lobbying by the radium companies, including closing doors, moving, renaming, etc.
4. coalesce data from radium girls across state lines when employee health protections often didn't cross state borders
5. do so while dying of cancer with no revenue and expensive treatments while the public still thought that most radioactive materials could be good for your health actually!

It's a real good book, again.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 12, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In searching for “radium touch‐up paint” (this stuff) I learned that Nissan marketed this colour as “radium grey”:

Nice one, Nissan. :thumbsup:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/KY5XWty.mp4

Man insists that staff load his newly purchased rock into the bed of his truck.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MononcQc posted:

The ingredients mattered because phossy jaw would have been caused by phosphorus, which iirc was not in the paint used then, therefore the employer could not be held liable for damages. They would just go "this is a mistery, but it's not our fault, so up yours ladies"

Well then I’m sorry I haven’t read that book.

Maybe next time Labes could answer questions like “Why would it matter which ingredient was at fault?” instead of quoting them snarkily several pages later.

It’s not some “gotcha”. From the information in the thread, I thought the paint contained phosphorous.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's even better after hearing how much of a tool the truck owner is.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Asproigerosis posted:

To be honest, there isn't anything cool in there. Just a couple ancient vials of Co57 and Cs137, and a Co57 sheet source.

If it's enough to be liable, it's enough to lock up.

Is it at least a shielded latch to prevent someone from shimming the door open?

Doesn't look like the tire blew, but :lol: good luck rolling anywhere

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Curious to know what that truck owner thought was going to happen.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mistle posted:

If it's enough to be liable, it's enough to lock up.

Is it at least a shielded latch to prevent someone from shimming the door open?

Doesn't look like the tire blew, but :lol: good luck rolling anywhere

Watching the video of it, there's a very audible hissing as the camera gets close to the truck

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I guess that wire's not going to fix itself...

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the customer is always right, biiiiitch

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I'm impressed the rock stayed upright, I expected it to just roll right out, flattening the bedside.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Guess my truck just turned into a low rider.

lol

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I really enjoy that the operator actually nailed the dismount. That was a perfect unload. If it was built to support that it barely would have rocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

nice

Takes a lot of guts to even try that sort of thing, though, I guess you could say the operator is boulder than most.