Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

J'onn's gonna be pissed when he finds out Kara left the keys in the ignition of his ship.

I'm still really hoping James' stuff is leading to him getting the blue and gold Guardian makeover. Thought that might be here with National City needing a new hero and him fighting in the day. I hope its still coming that all of this leads him to decide he needs to be a hero in the light and not a vigilante in the night. And maybe J'onn trying to reform the DEO means he signs up with them the way the comic Guardian was with connected with organizations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Gun control and palliative care / assisted suicide, oh my!

Don't forget the class "your problem ain't really a problem, well off white lady" thing too.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well this was...an...episode...?

So um did they end up telling Clark about Argo City at all? or. Y'know. 'cuz he might wanna know about that stuff?

I was always hoping that Thara Ak-Var, aka loving Flamebird, would show up on this show! This...isn't quite how I hoped it'd go, but fine whatever, serves the story or whatever.

This...wasn't the worst episode about gun control that I've ever seen in my life. But to be honest it just ended up with the same unsatisfying non-answer to things that a lot of these sorts of episodes end up with.

Like, it's super nice that a show like Supergirl can have a fictional genius like Winn just fictionally create non-lethal ways for these fictional officers to stop bad guys. But how would legitimate government agencies giving up their guns solve the problem of too many people getting guns too easily when they shouldn't? The DEO is a prime example of gun control done right, where all their agents are vetted and supervised and all their weaponry is meticulously inventoried. So let's have them stop using guns as...what, a symbolic stance against gun culture? And then...stricter gun laws will just happen by...proxy? I really don't know what the reasoning is here, y'all.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The past four episodes have felt like bad movies. Each episode feels like it’s two hours long.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I feel it's a bit disingenuous to renounce firearms when you can turn yourself intangible at a moments notice.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Pillowpants posted:

The past four episodes have felt like bad movies. Each episode feels like it’s two hours long.

I didn't mind the gun control episode, even if guns were ejecting un-fired cartridges, but a couple of times the acting was so bad from normally good actors it made it obvious they were just talking directly to the viewer instead of trying to tell a story.

Lena and James having a little confrontation was a good example

"I have a gun for self defense, and I've used it for self defense."
"You're not telling me you are one of those people that thinks that everyone having a gun makes everyone safer right?"
*Lena looks at camera* "We disagree. But I can see your side and hopefully you can see my side too.
"I am open to listening."
*Lena still looking at camera* "Good. Because things get done when we listen to each other."

These people are good actors that are in an on-screen relationship. Don't have Lena sound like she is in a D.A.R.E. skit.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 5, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well technically the point of J'onn's decision is that the DEO specifically designed and commissioned super armor piercing bullets that threaten magic bullet proof armor so J'onn felt specifically responsible for unleashing those on society and perpetuating the problem. But that falls a little deaf when we live in a world where we have no magic vigilante armor but plenty of guns that kill us dead.

Loosely it was obviously meant to be a parallel for "military" weapons being available for civilian purchases, with a dash of "cops shouldn't use lethal force by default". It didn't offer any magic bullet solutions but it said what it wanted to say. So whatever. Considering how often we give Flash and Arrow poo poo for mixed messages about guns and killing I can live with J'onn having a crisis of conscience about why he's sending a bunch of people out to kill if he has a magic tech guy who can provide another way.

I thought the dumb as gently caress Lena/James scene was the laziest part of it. But I suppose it makes sense Lena would be all second amendment/"respect my freedoms".

"I own a gun for self defense and I've used it for self defense."
Well but didn't you also put it to an enemy's head and nearly murder him?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

STAC Goat posted:

"I own a gun for self defense and I've used it for self defense."
Well but didn't you also put it to an enemy's head and nearly murder him?

Yeah but she's rich to that's just an eccentricity.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Incidentally I sorta love how they seem to be pushing Lena evil. That "self defense" thing seemed like an obvious LUTHORism and Lena's now canon as thinking she's the "good guy with a gun". Now she's discovered something awesome about the black rock so she's gonna refuse to give it back to Argo and drat them or something for the "good of humanity". She's even got Miss Tessmacher, which convinced me more than anything. She's absolutely gonna be agreeing with her mom by season's end.

I mean I never really wanted Lena to go evil. But I'm enjoying how they're adding Lex stuff to get her there.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 5, 2018

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
“The greatest strength in the universe comes from lifting our hands. Our heavy, heavy hands.”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was just a little ham-fisted, even if I agree with the message

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They handled it better than Arrow, but that's not a high bar.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

howe_sam posted:

They handled it better than Arrow, but that's not a high bar.

I don’t know that a firm “All guns are bad and literally no one should use them” is handling it better than “Gun control is a tricky problem, luckily we’ve solved it because we’re amazing, no, you can’t see our solution, stop asking, you just have to take our word for it”.

They’re both equally stupid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Whatever you think of the episode or politics Supergirl wasn't really "all guns are bad." Like they were lazy and sloppy about it but they specifically addressed and handwaved the "hunting" and "self defense" stuff and put their focus on the "military weapons in the hands of civilians" issue.

That was less of a "guns are bad" message and more of a "the AR15 is bad" message.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
“We’re getting rid of guns at the DEO.”

“Well if I can’t kill someone, I’m outta here!”

—————————

Also, throw me a bone, show! At least have someone say, “Superman’s off on that secret space mission. Again.”

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In the grand scheme of things I think its really hilarious that by introducing a Superman to lampshade why he's never around Supergirl just made some fans who will always ask where Tiny Superman is.

You fools! You efforts only make them stronger!

:)

edit: BTW did I miss it or did we all gloss over the part a week or so ago where J'onn's dad revealed that Mr. Mxyzptlk was J'onn's imaginary best friend? Because that was amazing.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Was anyone else rolling with laughter as they chased a guy in the parking garage and he just turns around and is suddenly holding an M-16? I had to rewind it just to watch it again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

Was anyone else rolling with laughter as they chased a guy in the parking garage and he just turns around and is suddenly holding an M-16? I had to rewind it just to watch it again.

He had it under his jacket, the collapsible nature is what sets it apart from other assault rifles of that caliber.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

STAC Goat posted:

Whatever you think of the episode or politics Supergirl wasn't really "all guns are bad." Like they were lazy and sloppy about it but they specifically addressed and handwaved the "hunting" and "self defense" stuff and put their focus on the "military weapons in the hands of civilians" issue.

That was less of a "guns are bad" message and more of a "the AR15 is bad" message.
The thing is that I'm not sure how their """""solution""""" to this issue was supposed to solve anything about this issue whatsoever.

Like, the gun manufacturer that they visited today? The one who'd been selling military-grade weapons to an apparent bajillion civilians around the country? He's just still...doing that. It's still all just perfectly legal for him to do that and he suffers zero consequences or repercussions for it, except I guess the one organization that was actually using his weapons to protect people aren't doing business with him anymore. That'll teach...him? Us? Whoever it's supposed to teach?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Bruceski posted:

He had it under his jacket, the collapsible nature is what sets it apart from other assault rifles of that caliber.

Except it had a full stock with extended barrel and magazine.

Guy just pulls this out of his jacket.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

STAC Goat posted:

edit: BTW did I miss it or did we all gloss over the part a week or so ago where J'onn's dad revealed that Mr. Mxyzptlk was J'onn's imaginary best friend? Because that was amazing.

That was actually Zook, a partner of J'onn in the '60s. He's barely appeared in comics over the last 50 years.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BrianWilly posted:

The thing is that I'm not sure how their """""solution""""" to this issue was supposed to solve anything about this issue whatsoever.

Like, the gun manufacturer that they visited today? The one who'd been selling military-grade weapons to an apparent bajillion civilians around the country? He's just still...doing that. It's still all just perfectly legal for him to do that and he suffers zero consequences or repercussions for it, except I guess the one organization that was actually using his weapons to protect people aren't doing business with him anymore. That'll teach...him? Us? Whoever it's supposed to teach?

It wasn't really a "solution", it was a "first step". "Change the world through your own actions." J'onn can't stop gun manufacturers. He can stop the DEO from putting more guns into the situation and maybe that saves some lives. And maybe in some theoretical future the DEO proves efficient with Winn's non-lethal tech and it starts a law enforcement revolution or something. Who knows? J'onn wasn't trying to change the world, just his corner. More to the point he was just acting on the lesson he had just learned/remembered.

Its not like all the other issues Supergirl has brought up and very directly addressed led to real world solutions either.

Tavarin posted:

That was actually Zook, a partner of J'onn in the '60s. He's barely appeared in comics over the last 50 years.

More awesome. I just didn't know that character.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 6, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This episode was kind of a mess. They really crammed way too many themes and plots together in one and everything really need more room to breathe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

Except it had a full stock with extended barrel and magazine.

Guy just pulls this out of his jacket.

My apologies, "collapsible gun" was supposed to be obviously sarcastic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

We knew it wouldn't end up that way, but it would have been interesting to have Kara actually jumping at shadows and basically dealing with PTSD after fighting archcriminals for a couple of years.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
You know, Alex, all you have to do is have Sam "accidentally" turn into Reign again, kill her with kryptonite, and you get your free daughter that way with less paperwork.

It'd be way more awkward, though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

They should bring Oliver over from Earth 1. He solved gun control already.

This except Oliver from Legion.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

muscles like this! posted:

This episode was kind of a mess. They really crammed way too many themes and plots together in one and everything really need more room to breathe.

Yeah, it feels like it's starting to go down the same road Arrow S6 did after James died. Everybody spins their wheels and churns out some real bad hamfisted filler before it starts getting good again for the last few episodes—and by then, no one cares.

Which is just how Diaz planned it.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Don't be a bitch John.
You spacedad just wants a reacharound, as per custom, so he can die happy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I really hate the gun control stuff. I groaned when they did it on Arrow and I groaned here. It's just so unnecessary - who is watching this show that is a "take um from mah cold dead hands!" gun lover that's going to watch it and change their mind in any way?

Whatever, next season I hope they do gun control on Legends and they just go back in time and prevent gunpowder from being invented.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Medullah posted:

Whatever, next season I hope they do gun control on Legends and they just go back in time and prevent gunpowder from being invented.

Thus, speeding the development of energy based weaponry. Good idea.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Haven't watched the whole clip but here's Melissa Benoist singing Carole King.

https://twitter.com/playbill/status/1004390341196251138

:allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gonz posted:

Thus, speeding the development of energy based weaponry. Good idea.

Wouldn’t be the worst thing the legends have done!

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So has the show ever addressed what actually happened to Ruby's Dad? I'm re watching the current season and I've only heard that he's "out of the picture."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No but Reign definitely killed him.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

So has the show ever addressed what actually happened to Ruby's Dad? I'm re watching the current season and I've only heard that he's "out of the picture."

I think they say in the episode where Sam visits her mother. It was something like he bailed even before Ruby was born.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ffffffffffffffuck more relationship crap with Mon-El

:rip: Winn's asian friend.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The show's been really confused about what the gently caress Reign actually is, but at least she finally got her sword so there's that.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
They always seem to overstuff the end of the season with this show. Argo City is a cool idea but it feels utterly underdeveloped, much like the Daxamite invasion at the end of last season. Kara's been reunited with her mother and just found out that hundreds (thousands?) of her people have survived and they've just done nothing that compelling with it. It's not like we're at Arrow or Flash levels of not being able to wrap things up properly but it's a little disheartening to see it happen again. Despite all of that we did get three evil witches effectively cackling around a cauldron and doing magic spells in this episode so it's not all bad.

Edit: It's cheap to bring it up but hey they've gone all non-lethal now, did you see Alex shooting that cool energy net? Wait it didn't work? gently caress it, grab the kryptonite .45 ammo, we ain't loving around.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 12, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I think the writers got confused by Reign being a "Super Kryptonian" that can shrug off kryptonite due to her special world killer properties and the people from Argos being "Dark Kryptonian" which is just code for a regular kryptonian that is an rear end in a top hat.

Kara was almost defeated by just being near Kryptonite several times but these ladies from Argos that have been on earth for twenty minutes can just take .45 caliber kryptonite slugs to the back and chest and be momentarily inconvenienced?

If every random kryptonian is less vulnerable to kryptonite bullets than humans are to regular bullets then why is Kara so mad about Lena making it? All she has to do is dig the bullet out and go about her business like nothing ever happened.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Alura's costume was reminding me of something, and I finally figured out what