Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

You also scored legit pond hockey goals which are probably more difficult given ice conditions and net size.

I got a pacific rink gear co. player bag as a gift and it is really, really nice.

What equipment tools/supplies do ya'll keep in your bag? I keep scissors, phillips screwdriver, small first aid kit, spare laces. What am I missing? This bag is so well organized that I have places to keep this stuff.

That bag is absolutely the most overpriced thing ever, but I loving love mine. Best bag I've ever owned and I felt like I kept finding new pockets in the thing for the first 2 months.

The only thing I don't like about it is the shoulder straps work themselves loose after a couple weeks so I have to keep tightening them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Our league can barely get schedules up the week of games. Expecting them to print our rosters for us is ... a fart in the wind.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I keep a little helmet repair kit in my bag. Having extra screws/wrench etc is handy.

Beyond that, just tape and my gear.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

sellouts posted:

What equipment tools/supplies do ya'll keep in your bag? I keep scissors, phillips screwdriver, small first aid kit, spare laces.

Tape, wax, a tool/parts kit (helmet snaps, screws, etc.), beer bottle opener.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
One (1) random beer, cough drops, a general pervasive odor

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The only thing I don't like about it is the shoulder straps work themselves loose after a couple weeks so I have to keep tightening them up.

Yeah mine does that too. It's p much the only "bad" thing about that bag I've found thus far.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yep my straps do the same thing, only complaint I have with the bag. Large enough to put all my gear and a 12 pack in there. But drat if it isn't heavy.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I had two-different-league games back to back last Tuesday and I crammed 2 pairs of gloves and 4 sets of jerseys and socks in there + two big water bottles no problem I'm pretty sure I'm a god drat infomercial for pac rink now

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I have a stupid small bag that barely fits my gear so I carry a separate laundry bag. The laundry bag has plenty of room for extra jerseys, pucks, tape, a couple tools, wax, sandals, soap and shampoo, a sweat towel and shower towel, with room to spare for a six pack.

I still feel silly for carrying two bags but drat if it's not convenient.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only thing that really matters with a hockey bag is if you can get through a door without the frame catching it and pulling the strap off your shoulder because jesus gently caress that's annoying.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I used to carry extra skate blades with me when I had Grafs. I once broke a skate blade at a tournament, and it was a pain in the rear end to find a local shop that had the right Graf steel on hand. This was also before big box hockey stores were a thing.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 7, 2018

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xzzy posted:

Only thing that really matters with a hockey bag is if you can get through a door without the frame catching it and pulling the strap off your shoulder because jesus gently caress that's annoying.

Welp confirmed I need a new bag

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I had to carry my gear, the puck bag, a bag of sub jerseys, and a bag of new socks that we ordered.

Then someone asked where the beer was.

Being a co captain sucks.

We tied a game 5-5 which was really fun. 64 shots to 24. Their goalie was insane. He had the best game I've ever seen a beer leaguer have. He had so many good saves, any other goalie it would have been a blowout. It was fast and challenging but the other team wasnt dirty or anything.

In one shift we controlled the puck in the offensive zone for 2-3 minutes without a whistle or coming out of the zone. We cycled well, all skaters touched the puck at least once and it wasn't even a power play. We just had the right people out there who could move around and play keep away. We generated something like 10 premium scoring chances off that one shift. It was long enough that I was worrying about my shift length and I skated to the bench to change.

Overall great night and god im so happy we built a new team. Its literally everything I wanted in a hockey team.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

One of our D-men scored on a slapper from our own blue line on Monday. It was going a bit wide, but the goalie wanted to pad his stats (known for doing this, and talking to the score keeper after the game to add more shots that they "missed") and tried making the "save." Of course the puck bounced off his stick and went into the back of the net. We ended up winning by 1.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Goalies are dumb.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bradf0rd posted:

Goalies are dumb.

can confirm

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I have a stupid small bag that barely fits my gear so I carry a separate laundry bag. The laundry bag has plenty of room for extra jerseys, pucks, tape, a couple tools, wax, sandals, soap and shampoo, a sweat towel and shower towel, with room to spare for a six pack.

I still feel silly for carrying two bags but drat if it's not convenient.

I play with a goalie that has two FULL SIZE hockey bags and still somehow does not have room to fit his pants in either of them and carries them separate. Granted they are not goalie bags they are player bags but they are full size player bags and he still can't fit his pants in somehow. Also one of the bags is for his leg pads. He doesn't carry the leg pads separate like every other goalie in the history of goalies. As are most goalies he is pretty weird. He is probably around 50 years old or so and doesn't count half the goals that are scored on him for all sorts of reasons. It is actually kind of funny. That one didn't count it was a 2 on 1. That didn't count it was a rebound. No that one didn't count because it hit the post first and rolled in off of me. I can't really tell if he is joking or if he is serious but it seems like he serious. Either way it is entertaining.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I am in skate hell. My feet have widened out in the last two years and now my CCMs are killing me, nobody in town has anything in stock that fits.

Except for one pair of Vapors, which fit PERFECTLY except there's not enough volume for the top of my RIGHT loving FOOT (left foot is fine). So I ordered a pair of Supremes and Nexus and hopefully one of those will work and I don't have to have bones removed from my feet or something.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

a mysterious cloak posted:

I am in skate hell. My feet have widened out in the last two years and now my CCMs are killing me, nobody in town has anything in stock that fits.

Except for one pair of Vapors, which fit PERFECTLY except there's not enough volume for the top of my RIGHT loving FOOT (left foot is fine). So I ordered a pair of Supremes and Nexus and hopefully one of those will work and I don't have to have bones removed from my feet or something.

Huh, kinda weird that Vapors, which are known for their narrow fit, are the ones that feel best. I'm a big fan of the Supremes, personally.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also the fact that one of the CCM lines are known for being the widest out there. I can't remember which one I tried on earlier this year but even my EE width foot was swimming around in there. I ended up with Bauer Supremes, it is a really comfy drat skate.

(except for the seam with the toecap, gently caress you toecap)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Habibi posted:

Huh, kinda weird that Vapors, which are known for their narrow fit, are the ones that feel best. I'm a big fan of the Supremes, personally.

I was surprised too. I told the guy I was going to be brand agnostic this time around so he brought those out. They fit the shape of my foot absolutely perfectly aside from almost getting lace bite in my stupid right foot just from walking around the store. I even told the guy, "Man, that's how hockey skates are supposed to freaking fit. Except..."

I'm sure one of the pairs coming will work, plus my assignment this coming week is only 10 minutes away so I can get them baked and sharpened on my lunch break.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I finally scored again last night, short handed, last minute, in a 3-1 loss. :geno:

Also in another game I played with a bunch of rookies who are doing their first organized games this summer and man it's scary. I have no illusions that I am a good hockey player but I've been around at least half a block. There was a lot of collisions caused by inattention and people not being very good at stopping yet, it was total chaos and I ended up playing really badly because the flow of the game was all wrong and I didn't know wtf to do with myself.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I love my Supremes. I don't have particularly wide feet, but they fit the best of every model I tried on. Even with the extra width they offer, I still needed to get them punched on the inside where the toe cap meets the rest of the boot, for both skates.

No goals today in Rat Hockey, but I did have a good assist on a 2 on 1, and perhaps more satisfying was how I definitely scared the crap out of the goalie, who was not expecting my backhand shot to have improved so much in the past couple weeks, which forced him to make a tough save he wasn't expecting.

Summer means I'm going to be playing more hockey games, but I'm going to have far less time to work on my skating, since all the rinks have Summer Camps that last all day and far fewer open ice sessions.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

xzzy posted:

Also the fact that one of the CCM lines are known for being the widest out there. I can't remember which one I tried on earlier this year but even my EE width foot was swimming around in there. I ended up with Bauer Supremes, it is a really comfy drat skate.
Probably Tacks. I'm in between an E/EE and I have no issues with their D skate.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Thufir posted:

Dude on my team scored his first goal in 15 years tonight. He was pretty pumped.

lol he scored again tonight. First goal streak ever.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Everyone with weird feet should be in Easton Mako2 skates, shame they stopped making them. If you can find a pair in your size loving buy them.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I don't know that I have necessarily weird feet, but my problem is I have the Vapor v-shaped foot, medium arch, and high instep. Supreme D's were too snug partciularly in the mid-foot, so hopefully the EE's will do it. Either that or the Nexus D's. Hopefully.

Otherwise I'm cutting off my legs and going sled.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you amputate below the knee you might not need to play sled. Get a custom skate prosthetic and you might even get faster.

Imagine the comedy the first time you square up to a slapshot and it knocks your leg off. Dude's eyes are gonna be full moon.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Thursday my summer NHL/Pro 3v3 skate starts, IT desk jockey tries to fit in with actual athletes: Season 3. It sounds like the other goalie is going to be the woman's gold medal winner so I'm pumped to see her in action.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

titanium posted:

Thursday my summer NHL/Pro 3v3 skate starts, IT desk jockey tries to fit in with actual athletes: Season 3. It sounds like the other goalie is going to be the woman's gold medal winner so I'm pumped to see her in action.

You should make this a youtube series. I would gladly watch it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Verman posted:

You should make this a youtube series. I would gladly watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2c6qAYLHT4&t=3s from last season. Maybe 2 guys below AHL level out there. This season should be even better, too bad I'm about 15lbs heavier.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't know that I have necessarily weird feet, but my problem is I have the Vapor v-shaped foot, medium arch, and high instep. Supreme D's were too snug partciularly in the mid-foot, so hopefully the EE's will do it. Either that or the Nexus D's. Hopefully.

Otherwise I'm cutting off my legs and going sled.

Why not punch out the midfoot? If the toe box is good you should be able to punch out?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I was in net for two games on Sunday, and they were complete opposites from each other. Opposing team names are for xzzy.

First game was a good showing with a 3-1 win (v Iron Kitty) in CoEd. Had the shut out going until three minutes left in the game, and that goal was off of a rebound from a breakaway save (to someone who hasn't scored in forever). I saw four shots in the first period. This wasn't even me standing on my head or anything, my team just took over the game from the start and I only ever faced down a couple of difficult shots. Clear sight lines to shots, defense picking up rebounds I was directing to them, and nice long stretches of time where I got to just relax. It was nice not having three fifteen minute periods where I'm NOT seeing 12+ shots in the period.

And then the D3 9-2 loss (v Mulchers) where I didn't see less than 12+ shots in a period. Multiple times where all five skaters are on the same half of the defensive zone leaving the back side of the net totally open, or wingers are down by the goal line and there's nobody to outlet to. Puck was practically never out of the zone. When it was it was being coughed up for odd man rushes and breakaways. I swear I saw ten or fifteen or so of these. Right at the end of the game (when we were in run time), my team got stripped at the defensive blue line and the other guy skated in for the millionth break away. I just skated away from the net, because there was literally a second left. He didn't get a shot off in time, and what he did get out didn't even cross the goal line.

It's worth noting that this team is literally a throw together of a bunch of randoms (most of which should probably be in instructional league) plus a couple guys from Big Jim Slade. Probably explains why I'm seeing an average of about 38 shots per game.

So good game/poo poo game. Kinda hoping for the same thing again this weekend, except it isn't two games in one day.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

*wrong thread

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 13, 2018

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

**wrong thread

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I think you may have the wrong thread, Big Beef.

Though your statement is incredibly accurate and completely astounding.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

D3 has some really tough teams, and Mulchers can be one of them. They're always in the top three at the end of the playoffs.

They aren't exactly a D2 team so it's not like they're a bunch of ringers, they just have good fundamentals and they're gonna dismantle teams that have no breakout or passing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
stupid surgery on my stupid hip is stupid tomorrow

hooray for 8 weeks of crutches and 6 months of rehab

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

D3 has some really tough teams, and Mulchers can be one of them. They're always in the top three at the end of the playoffs.

They aren't exactly a D2 team so it's not like they're a bunch of ringers, they just have good fundamentals and they're gonna dismantle teams that have no breakout or passing.

And my skaters had no breakouts or passing on Sunday.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

sellouts posted:

Why not punch out the midfoot? If the toe box is good you should be able to punch out?

The toebox wasn't great, either. For the Supremes i'm going to be at least an E if not the EE. It was hard to get my foot in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

The toebox wasn't great, either. For the Supremes i'm going to be at least an E if not the EE. It was hard to get my foot in there.

Just spend the coin and get True skates then?