Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Well... that was unpleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
The writer really knows how to sell that place as not-good. Ick.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Given the kinds of puzzles and fantasy elements we've faced so far, I have this sinking feeling that the dreaded al-Gibra is a system of simultaneous equations we need to solve with algebra, but given that that word also means "Unity" we could get some kind of horrible fused flesh monster thing like The Many.

Either way, it seems like a job for Spaceman Spiff.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The dreaded Trial of Al-Gibra is to solve Fermat's Last Theorem. Andrew Wiles was the first to solve the riddle and continue on to the next maze/level.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'm choosing to believe that we have a pet bird with us from now on. :colbert:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Iunnrais posted:

The writer really knows how to sell that place as not-good. Ick.

The wonder of text-based games is your own imagination can sometimes work better than seeing explicit visuals.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Two: The Wrong River
In which we at last encounter one of those puzzles.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh joy.

Let's see.

Achmed cannot be a Tredu, since if he were he'd be lying about it and they don't lie, so at least half his statement is true. Therefore he can't be a Famani either. Achmed is therefore a Wahoun and therefore the second part of his statement is false.

This means Dhuja is not a Tredu. We don't know if his statement is true or not; he is either Famani or Wahoun.

If Dhuja is a Wahoun then Bana's statement is a lie, making Bana a Famani (since there are a maximum of two Wahoun) and thus making Charoun NOT a Famani. If so, Charoun cannot be telling the truth about there being two Famani, so he can't be a Tredu, but we already have two Wahoun. So this is wrong.

Therefore Dhuja must be a Famani, and there is only one Wahoun. This means half of Bana's statement is wrong, and since there is only one Wahoun then both halves must be a lie; he must also be Famani.

This means Charoun is telling the truth and is therefore Tredu.

Achmed = Wahoun, Bana = Famani, Charoun = Tredu, Dhuja = Famani.

And all four of them need to get a life and stop holding a snake's eggs hostage for shits and giggles.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Black Robe posted:

And all four of them need to get a life and stop holding a snake's eggs hostage for shits and giggles.

Obviously they've already feasted on giant snake egg omelette, they're just taunting the snake with the riddle to be dicks.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Hastily scribbled notes for this one, but it seems super straightforward;

A / B / C / D

T = Always tells the truth
F = Always lie
W = Alternate between truth and lie.

A = I am not T, but D is.
B = I am W, and C is F.
C = 2 are F.
D = 2 are W.

A cannot be T (would be telling truth about NOT being T which is a paradox), and cannot be F (same). Therefore A = W and D is not T.
B cannot be T (as above), but could be F or W.
D cannot be T (as per A) but can be W or F.
C must be T as no one else as can. Therefore B and D are F as two must be F.

Achmed = Wahoun
Bana = Famani
Charoun = Tredu
Dhuja = Famani

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Y'all beat me to it while I was working on my chart.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
I do feel like it's interesting that everyone who's answered so far (myself included) has arrived at the same answer but all sort of worked it out in a different order?

A: A!=T, D=T
B: B=W, C=F
C: two F
D: two W

A must be W (T would always claim T, F would never claim "not T" (though could claim to be specifically W)); first statement is thus true so second false, thus D is not T
If B's first statement is true, then B is W, then C must be T (statements must be T/F so C isn't F, and we know there's no more than two of any tribe so C can't also be W), but if C is T then there's two F so B can't be W: contradiction
If B's first statement is false, then B is not W, and thus B must be F

One of C and D must be false, as they are in conflict with the statement that only one tribe has two present. But if D is true, the two W must be himself and A (as A established D is not T); this means C is T and always speaks truth. Thus C is T and this makes D F.

A=W, B=F, C=T, D=F

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
This puzzle seems questionable. The only way to solve it is to assume that Achmed is really supposed to be making 2 separate statements "I am not a Tredu" and "Dhuja is a Tredu." like all the previous posters are doing, even though in the puzzle it's only one statement equivalent to "I am not a Tredu and Dhuja is" (which leads to 4 possible answers FFTW FWTF WWFT WFWT). Plus the description of the Wahouns is useless unless at least one person is making multiple statements (otherwise why not just say Wahouns can both lie and tell the truth).

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 12, 2018

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
All right...

Achmed appears to be the key we must start with. If he were Tredu, he would not claim not to be Tredu. If he were Famani, he would also not say 'I am not Tredu'. Thus he must be Wahoun. As Wahoun alternate true and false statements, his next claim, that Dhuja is a Tredu, must be false. Bana is either Wahoun or Famani, as his claim to be Wahoun could not be made by a Tredu. If he is Wahoun, his following claim is false, since the first one is true. If he is Famani, his following claim is also false, since everything he says is false. We thus know Charoun is Tredu or Wahoun. If we assume Charoun is Wahoun, Bana must be Famani, as no tribe has more than two members, and his being Wahoun would make three Wahoun. But if Bana is Famani, that would leave Dhuja as Tredu, which we know is false. Thus Charoun is Tredu, which means that both Bana and Dhuja are Famani.

As such- Achmed is Wahoun, Bana Famani, Charoun Tredu, and Dhuja Famani.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

For what it's worth, I'm getting the same answers as everyone else.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Got the same answer as everyone else, but in this order:

Achmed cannot be Tredu because he says he isn't, which would be a lie. He cannot be Famani because he says he's not Tredu. So he is Wahoun, and Dhuja isn't Tredu.
Bana cannot be Tredu because he says he is wahoun. Since there is at least one Tredu, that leaves Charoun, who must be.
Charoun is telling the truth, so there are two Famani.
We know one Wahoun and one Tredu so the other two are Famani.

I like how many different ways there are to reach the same conclusion.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

whitehelm posted:

This puzzle seems questionable. The only way to solve it is to assume that Achmed is really supposed to be making 2 separate statements "I am not a Tredu" and "Dhuja is a Tredu." like all the previous posters are doing, even though in the puzzle it's only one statement equivalent to "I am not a Tredu and Dhuja is" (which leads to 4 possible answers FFTW FWTF WWFT WFWT). Plus the description of the Wahouns is useless unless at least one person is making multiple statements (otherwise why not just say Wahouns can both lie and tell the truth).

Yeah, a compound statement is not the same as two separate statements. It's a puzzle that only works when you assume it, though, so the solutions given is what we should use.

Also, this got disgustingly offensive with the treatment of Islam. There are Chick tracts that aren't as bad as this.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Nakar posted:

Level Two: The Wrong River
In which we at last encounter one of those puzzles.

With the title of the update, I was really worried you meant one of those puzzles... the "take the goat, the grain, and the fox across the river but watch out the fox eats the goat and the goat eats the grain" ones.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

whitehelm posted:

How I solved it: Realizing the crux of the problem is that only A and B are allowed to be potentially Wahoun because they make two statements each, and by extension C and D cannot be Wahoun, additionally one of them must be a Tredu and the other a Famani because their statements directly contradict each other.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Two: Multiplayer Features
In which we help a snake learn logic, continue our bird vandalism spree, and try very hard not to meet a wizard.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Nakar posted:

And yes, "Evil Vizier" is capitalized. I presume that's his official job title.

It's redundant, all viziers are evil.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Meeting a Houri at random was super unexpected and implies that the Messenger knight guy is actually for real dead.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Black Robe posted:

It's redundant, all viziers are evil.
Doubly so because he works for an evil regime to begin with. It's not like Osmet Khan is some great dude who happens to have poor taste in viziers.

Dragonatrix posted:

Meeting a Houri at random was super unexpected and implies that the Messenger knight guy is actually for real dead.
I mean, at this point, he's probably more dead than alive.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

quote:

I feel like maybe this was a puzzle at some point? But no, you just arrive here, get told by a pretty lady that it's cool, and it is indeed cool. Go figure.

We were warned that the MadMaze would confound our expectations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Two: A Plain Hint
In which the tables are turned, and then... unturned?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

So is this a mix of two different things in Last Crusade? The praying person doesn't get their head cut off AND gets to cross the invisible bridge? :v:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Two: One Bazaar Encounter After Another
In which mazes are hard. Let's go shopping!

Gloomy Rube posted:

So is this a mix of two different things in Last Crusade? The praying person doesn't get their head cut off AND gets to cross the invisible bridge? :v:
We've been hearing the occasional "only x may cross the y of z" thus far. They seem to follow a pattern, yet they correspond to no trial or puzzle we've encountered since. We had to work pretty hard for many of those hints, so they must be important somehow... then again, we had that poem from the Lady back on the first level that seemed like a clue and never used it (remember that?).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For all we know, those hints are relevant...to different paths through the maze than the one we are taking. It'd be entirely in-character for a game of this era to tell us information that sounds plausible but is in fact completely irrelevant to us.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I'm meta gaming here, but if the PoPs don't remember states, would it matter if we skipped the jug and rug?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Domus posted:

I'm meta gaming here, but if the PoPs don't remember states, would it matter if we skipped the jug and rug?

Technically, but notice how all these magical artifacts require saying various magic words. So you'd need to brute-force the correct words.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Two: Only One Right Answer
In which every answer is wrong, except cheating.

I'm extremely pleased that they put that shaman reaction in there.

Domus posted:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Technically, but notice how all these magical artifacts require saying various magic words. So you'd need to brute-force the correct words.
Right. In most cases it wouldn't be enough to merely have a rug or a jug, because it would then ask for some way of confirming that you aren't just pulling something out of your rear end. That said, we're also not harmed in any way by buying the items, because the game can't remember how much money we've spent either!

Though this update does show the occasional weird results that may arise from trying to brute force the game. Boy are you in trouble if you warp back to the shaman without even knowing who he is and then save after leaving!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I like how much work they put into the "wrong" options. It's rarely just "you are dead," some of them are almost entire short storylines in their own right.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Nakar posted:

Though this update does show the occasional weird results that may arise from trying to brute force the game. Boy are you in trouble if you warp back to the shaman without even knowing who he is and then save after leaving!
That just sounds awful and also like it's from personal experience.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Two: The Burning River
In which we finally get that water the shaman wanted for... whatever reason he wanted it. Then someone screws up the djinn's password.

PurpleXVI posted:

I like how much work they put into the "wrong" options. It's rarely just "you are dead," some of them are almost entire short storylines in their own right.
It makes the times where they do just go "you are dead" funnier too, in my experience, such as the "drink from river" option in this update.

I get why they did it: They wanted to make it look like maybe there's a right answer other than the carpet, so they put in a bunch of branching options that all seem like they might go somewhere if you made a slightly different choice. But nope, they're all dead ends.

curiousCat posted:

That just sounds awful and also like it's from personal experience.
I will neither confirm nor deny that. I definitely did more than my share of brute forcing the first time I played this as a kid, and again when I was trying to map out the entire game methodically for this LP (though I suppose one could call the latter "experimentation" rather than brute force).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Two: Separating The Sheep From The Goats
In which we have some remarkably friendly interactions, and must help our new friends solve a puzzle.

Do not read the spoilers if you do not want the extra hint for this puzzle. I won't say whether it's solvable without the hint, but I will say that I've tried to solve it both ways and I don't think it's particularly difficult to figure out.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I scrolled back up for the hint the second I saw what type of puzzle it is. I hate these things.

Gattar will get more goats than his cousin, so he'll get at least five of the nine. He'll get more sheep than goats, so at least six sheep.

There are only seven sheep and his cousin gets at least one.

Gattar gets five goats and six sheep. His cousin gets four goats and one sheep.

Doesn't seem like fair distribution to me, but there you go. Nice and easy with the hint.

As for whether it's possible to solve without the hint, I assume so but you might end up with multiple possible answers and have to brute-force to check which one is right.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It is totally solvable without the hint. As such:

There are sixteen animals total, with more goats than sheep. So, at a minimum, there are nine goats; possibly more. Any less then there are either more or equal sheep than goats, or less than 16 total.
The nomad receives more goats than his cousin. So, at a minimum, the nomad receives five goats (any less means the cousin gets more goats).
The nomad gets more sheep than goats, so at a minimum, he gets six sheep.
Since the cousin receives at least one sheep, if he gets the minimum of one, then there are seven sheep - added to the minimum nine goats you get the 16 total.
So these are all the lower bound, but if you add even one to any of these values then you're breaking a rule, so it must also be the upper bound.

The nomad gets 5 goats and 6 sheep, the cousin gets 4 goats and 1 sheep.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's solvable without the hint because there are only finitely many possible solutions. You can just check them all.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
There are 16 total animals, and there are more goats than sheep so there has to be one of 9 goats/7 sheep, 10/6, 11/5, etc. If the distribution was anything other than the first, Gattar would have to have at least 6 goats (in order to have more goats than the cousin by clue 4), and thus at least 7 sheep (clue 3 says he gets more sheep than goats) which is impossible for those combinations.

Therefore there are 9 goats and 7 sheep. Gattar must have at least 5 of the goats and at least 6 sheep by clues 3&4. This leaves a maximum of 1 sheep for the cousin, which is also the minimum by clue 5 meaning its the only possible answer. Gattar has 5 goats and 6 sheep, the cousin has 4 goats and 1 sheep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

It's solvable without the hint because there are only finitely many possible solutions. You can just check them all.

This isn't necessarily going to be the case - if the hint were required, that means the rules given don't rule out every potential wrong answer.
So solving it without the hint by brute force only works if it's possible to solve it without the hint by logic.

• Locked thread