Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

mcmagic posted:

You are correct. "Much weaker" implies that he got anything in return other than a piece of paper and a photo op. But that is really all he needs.

Well poo poo lets set up a photo op with Mahmoud Abbas then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

ekeog posted:

the supreme court says ohio can remove voters from its rolls when: they haven't voted in two years, they don't respond to a notice sent to them to confirm they're still in the same residence, and then they don't vote for two more years

forums posters declare that the sky is falling and democrats have lost everything, rather than the obvious fact that voter registration has to be a primary organizing focus in upcoming campaigns.

if y'alls opinions were true the fact that alabama closed a huge number of DMVs and did their best to disenfranchise black voters would've ensured the republican won, when instead there was record turnout against him from those areas.

I'm not saying I'm definitely right. I'm almost trying to jinx things so that I end up being wrong, if anything. But in my district, even after lots of events and GOTV drives, turnout was 25% of registered voters. Less than impressive. But you're right, GOTV efforts are important, critically so.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

booseek posted:

He is clearly talking about Trump here, especially the language about "business" (a regime is not a business) and mentioning Kim's father AND grandfather (Trump's grandfather started the business I think). Remember when Rubio said if Trump's dad wasn't rich that he'd be selling watches on 42nd St during the campaign?

oh poo poo dude i think you might be right

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Terror Sweat posted:

Nice try comrade, but nothing excites the base and drives turnout more than tax credits and talking about Russia

"That thing that's been causing Democrats to win recent contests by an average of like 13 points over what you'd expect is going to suddenly stop working for reasons I don't have to explain"

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Fitzy Fitz posted:

isolate, zoom, enhance

Aww, I thought they'd given him a Hitler moustache

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

boner confessor posted:

no, the military exercises happen anyway. you are getting confused, which seems like a common problem

Oh yes, you are absolutely right, the us has never intensified military exercises as a response to North Korea’s actions, what a fool I was to think that this thing that has happened in the past actually happened

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The saddest and most spineless man on earth.

Where did you get that blurb from? Because I can't find it and I want to read the rest since it's just, uhm, something.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I guess it's unsurprising that someone who sees Political Correctness as an absolute evil and doesn't understand the concept of compromise would be unable to figure out a way to diplomatically say sweet nothings about NK's government without going whole hog and legitimizing human rights violations. And then have Ted Cruz say "don't worry he's obviously just lying, lol."

I'm not even a fan of the Iran Deal but he's honestly making that look absolutely amazing by comparison right now

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

VH4Ever posted:

No one's forcing you to read my posts there, brah. The Ignore button is right there. Go on, I won't mind.

I hear you but I wonder if everyone responding to me ignores my avatar. There's a reason why I made a cynical, no faith in the system quote from Carlin commenting on the voting base and their ability to do the good and rational thing my avatar. You could say my faith in any For Sure Blue Wave teed off at "skeptical at best." Voter apathy is definitely A Thing, especially in midterms.

Then we will replace this system.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

RuanGacho posted:

Then we will replace this system.

OK, I'm curious as to your thoughts on what should replace it? It's a question I've wrestled with myself and I still don't have a great answer so I'd be intrigued to hear your thoughts.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yes, if you ignore Democratic primary turnout and Democratic performance in every election since Trump took office, there is no evidence they aren't doomed.

Except for a majority of Americans disapproving of Trump this entire time. You also have to ignore that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1006546290866520064

haha lindsey graham's position is "the president is very stupid, so our enemies should beware"

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

sean10mm posted:

Yes, if you ignore Democratic primary turnout and Democratic performance in every election since Trump took office, there is no evidence they aren't doomed.

Except for a majority of Americans disapproving of Trump this entire time. You also have to ignore that.

Hillary won the popular vote, that means she's President, right!

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

ekeog posted:

the supreme court says ohio can remove voters from its rolls when: they haven't voted in two years, they don't respond to a notice sent to them to confirm they're still in the same residence, and then they don't vote for four more years

Huh, looks like you have voted since 2016 2008, and these records say the warning notices were not sent, time to take you off the rolls.

You're a complete idiot if you dont think Ohio is is editing their databases right now to make it look like no Democrats have voted since 2008 to send out letter that for some strange reason are being printed directly into the shredder so they can remove them from the voter rolls before the midterms.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gynocentric Regime posted:

A bad thing happened, therefore it will always happen, forever.

Guess you've got me in a box there!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

This is very stupid

If Hillary had won by the margins the Dems have been seeing, that would be called "a landslide".

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Meatball posted:

Huh, looks like you have voted since 2016 2008, and these records say the warning notices were not sent, time to take you off the rolls.

You're a complete idiot if you dont think Ohio is is editing their databases right now to make it look like no Democrats have voted since 2008 to send out letter that for some strange reason are being printed directly into the shredder so they can remove them from the voter rolls before the midterms.

lol no one will suspect their brilliant plan to commit hundreds of thousands of felonies and there is literally no way for anyone in ohio to challenge them

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

sean10mm posted:

A bad thing happened, therefore it will always happen, forever.

Guess you've got me in a box there!

My point was that polls and predictions are useless.

ekeog posted:

lol no one will suspect their brilliant plan to commit hundreds of thousands of felonies and there is literally no way for anyone in ohio to challenge them

You act like election fraud is a crime when Republicans do it, which we know it isn't, only when Democrats do.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

sean10mm posted:

Turnout in my district sucked. Turnout in CA as a whole sucked (23.8% statewide) in recent primaries.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyways Im sad we didnt give the norks the ol saddam treatment

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

lol

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

*makes a prediction*

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Control Volume posted:

out

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
This 1985 Biff Tannen timeline is really getting weird.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Trump Thread IV: The saddest brains, huffing the stupidest fumes

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

ekeog posted:

haha lindsey graham's position is "the president is very stupid, so our enemies should beware"

'Nobody wants war', says most bloodthirsty man on Capitol Hill

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its been decades since weve had a romp in east asia, and with the russian menace to boot. Prime opportunity to Make America Great Again, as it were, and here trump is loving it all up

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

You act like election fraud is a crime when Republicans do it, which we know it isn't, only when Democrats do.

This dumbass take. Again.

quote:

Of the 13 final national polls conducted the week before the election that tested the four-way presidential contest, only one had Trump ahead and 12 put Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton on top.

That would seem to be a veritable disaster for the polling industry, right?

Not exactly.

National polls only measure the popular vote. Clinton did, in fact, win the national popular vote by 2.1 points. The average of the 13 final national polls had Clinton ahead by 3.1 points, which was only a point off the actual result.

Ironically, all 12 polls that had Clinton ahead turned out to be closer to the final outcome than the poll that had Trump ahead. While that may seem crazy — since Trump, not Clinton, is headed to the White House — it's true. The poll that put Trump ahead (by 2 points) was off by 4.1 points, while polls that gave Clinton the lead were off anywhere from only one-tenth of a point to less than 4 points.
Read more here

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Control Volume posted:

The other option was not "War Were Declared"

Jesus. Go away.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

theflyingorc posted:

*makes a prediction*

Allow me to rephrase, "Polls and the common wisdom on what will happen is useless."

twice burned ice posted:

This dumbass take. Again.

Read more here

If they can't predict who will actually win, what good are they?

vvv Remember how the computers in Ohio went down in 2000 and again in 2004? vvv

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

ekeog posted:

The challenges will take longer than from now until the midterms.

It doesn't need to work forever, just stop people from voting in the upcoming midterms.

Also lol if you thi k voting law is going to be enforced. Expect a lot of "I do not see any evidence of database manipulation. No you cannot see the databases." From Ohio election officials.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

VH4Ever posted:

Turnout in my district sucked. Turnout in CA as a whole sucked (23.8% statewide) in recent primaries.

Noted swing state California might not have enough Democrats turn out to stem the red tide is a new tack I wasn't expecting.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I think the President of the United States might not be very smart.

quote:

Q: Sir, when you said that the Korean people, that they, they love their leader and you saw the ferver, who were you referring to? North Koreans are not allowed to voluntarily leave their own country and the ones that do, they are, unanimous - nearly unanimously - describing atrocities and opposed to the regime.

Trump: Really? Are you sure? Because I saw many many of them here today in Singapore.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/06/09/full_video_president_trump_holds_press_conference_at_g7.html

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

VH4Ever posted:

OK, I'm curious as to your thoughts on what should replace it? It's a question I've wrestled with myself and I still don't have a great answer so I'd be intrigued to hear your thoughts.

The ideal government is quiet, it does not participate in a culture war. When you consider utopia, does it try to exact it's ideals into place through force or do people naturally find the way?

quote:

Rulers on all levels must understand that society can only improve if all its inhabitants are guided. If just the ones who already behave decently are cared for, the others will soon cause tremendous problems. When they are deserted and damned, the only thing remaining for them is to revolt.

Caring for the bad as well as the good is not only the compassionate thing to do. It's also the most practical.

I'll be honest, I am not an effective enough communicator to give you the answer you seek. I know the nature of the world, of people, beautiful mess that they are, and the main problem with Carlin was not that he couldn't see truth, but that he found the most he could do was express disgust at what he saw, which has its place as well but doesn't change the world, only open the possibility of it.

Sorry thread I'll moongaze elsewhere.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

It's super weird how people keep using it

When people first said "it's a slur", I was like "I've never heard of it as a slur, so I'm going to do some research".

So I did, and I didn't find a compelling argument for it being inherently offensive. There was very little data on the subject from a few minutes of Googling, and one would expect a word's offensiveness to be clear cut if it was a real slur.

But you know what? I still don't use it! Because if other people think it's a slur, it's super weird to keep using it even if I don't agree!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Allow me to rephrase, "Polls and the common wisdom on what will happen is useless."

the common wisdom on the clinton campaign that democrats didn't need to campaign in wisconsin or michigan, despite party leaders there asking them to, turned out to be especially useless

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Are you familiar with the concept of margin of error? Or really, any statistics at all?

Either learn up and have an intelligent discussion about polling, or gently caress off. Polls are not useless, but your analysis sure is.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

ekeog posted:

Madman Theory replaced with Moron Theory

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Meatball posted:

The challenges will take longer than from now until the midterms.

It doesn't need to work forever, just stop people from voting in the upcoming midterms.

Also lol if you thi k voting law is going to be enforced. Expect a lot of "I do not see any evidence of database manipulation. No you cannot see the databases." From Ohio election officials.

Coming to an American polling place near you:

In a blow to e-voting critics, Brazil suspends use of all paper ballots
Country's top court equates e-voting critics with conspiracy theorists.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/06/in-a-blow-to-e-voting-critics-brazil-suspends-use-of-all-paper-ballots/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Can't wait for a fire drill to be the combined military exercise that levels Seoul.

• Locked thread