Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

PostNouveau posted:

Mustache-twirling villainy from the look of it. Lindsey Ellis had a pretty good video about it, calling it Ur-Fascism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAVeyXwy3BE

Being really bad isn’t a belief system. Neither the republic or the FO seem to be fighting for anything in particular, other than control. Which is probably why no one seems to care who wins outside of those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I'm sympathetic to people being confused about the state of the Resistance, the actual scope of power and governance of the First Order, the strange character choices for people like Maz, the blank character slate of Rey, etc etc, because the movie is really lazy about hashing things out and pretty much not interested in much more beyond spectacle.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Again, why is anyone finding a resistance against a thing nobody apparently knows about or takes seriously?

And so they’ve kidnapped millions of kids from Republic planets and built up a massive army and military power and purchased materiel and ships from the same people that the Republic gets theirs from, and they’ve obviously substantially funded, but also they’re completely unknown and don’t exist or operate inside the Republic and their military comes as a huge surprise to everyone? And within 48 hours of destroying five planets they now control the galaxy and the Republic has ceased to exist and the Resistance has no support?

It’s nonsense.

It's all stupid nonsense, but you're pretty much in "head-canon" territory here. This poo poo isn't very complicated:

quote:

Following the Battle of Jakku, Grand Vizier Mas Amedda and the New Republic Chancellor Mon Mothma signed the Galactic Concordance, which dissolved the Imperial government. Mothma then issued another declaration designating all surviving Imperial officers as war criminals. In response, many Imperial nobles, technologists, warlords, and officers fled the Empire into the Unknown Regions in an effort to escape the prying eyes of the New Republic. They used information derived from Grand Admiral Thrawn[ who hailed from the Chiss Ascendancy, and the survey teams and droids that Emperor Sheev Palpatine had sent to explore the Unknown Regions. At the request of the dying Counselor to the Empire Gallius Rax, Grand Admiral Rae Sloane, and Commandant Brendol Hux rendezvoused with the Super Star Destroyer Eclipse. Sloane saw an opportunity to rebuild the Empire.

The Galactic Empire lied in ashes, but the First Order had risen from its embers. There, isolated from the galaxy, the military junta was influenced by the principles of the fallen government.[5][17] With the New Republic now the dominant force in the galaxy, it continuously stressed upholding the values of democracy throughout the stars. In spite of such, however, the Republic was not without its critics, many of them disgruntled sympathizers of the Old Imperial ways, some of whom were a part of the political structure. Once disagreements between the loyalists and Imperial sympathizers became too severe, the latter group seceded, whereupon they joined the risen First Order in the Unknown Regions. While some in the Galactic Senate applauded the notion, others realized that without New Republic supervision, the Order would return to the draconian ways of its predecessor.[8] Because it descended from the Empire in ideology, the First Order, upon being formed within the Unknown Regions alongside various former Imperial officers, technologists, nobles, and other pro-Imperial supporters, intended to reclaim their legacy.[6]

With many of the Emperor's servants carrying some of the old regime's greatest military secrets to the Unknown Regions, the First Order began a massive militarization effort to produce a technologically superior military that once existed under the Galactic Empire, keenly aware that it lacked the superior numbers of the former state. Numerous shipyards, bases, and research facilities were built on newly explored star systems and colonized worlds as the Order slowly expanded and plotted its eventual return to the galaxy at large. To avoid the terms of the Concordance which included the sale of weaponry to the Order, arms manufacturers BlasTech Industries and Merr-Sonn Munitions, Inc. opted to bypass these restrictions by forming a subsidiary known as the Sonn-Blas Corporation, whom would manufactured all weaponry within First Order space, while Sienar-Jaemus Army Systems and Aratech-Loratus Corporation would develop spacecraft and vehicles to the Order.[5]
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/First_Order

Since nobody wants to read all this poo poo: Space Nazis were defeated. Many of the remaining Space Nazis hosed off to Space Antarctica with a poo poo-ton of gear, ships and knowledge. There they started to rebuilt, while Space Allies ignored them. Over time more Alt-Right Space Nazis joined the old timey Space Nazis with even more stuff, money and power. The New Republic didn't want to appear military at all and without much of a Navy or Army they were unable and unwilling to do much against the increasingly aggressive First Order (the usual "democracy is unable to defend itself, weak and cowardly" poo poo Fascists love to sprout). Since the Republic didn't do anything, Leia and her allies started their own private military and private war against the First Order (supplied by supporters in the Republic).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Massive war machines don't come out nowhere without anyone's knowledge. Previous movies even showed what it takes to covertly build a galactic military force in secret: erasing a planet from the maps.

The First Order already controlling most of the Galaxy is a rather straight-forward explanation.

I think it's worth pointing out that it is a plot point in The Force Awakens that only the First Order has a complete map, which they took from the Imperial Archives. (R2-D2 had a copy of most of it and then went into a coma. Most likely Luke deleted the section of the map that he was hiding in, copying the old Kamino trick. Apparently the Millennium Falcon's navigational computer is also extremely thorough, which I haven't fully made sense of.)

The First Order's existence isn't a secret, but Starkiller Base was a secret. I don't think it's that they control most of the galaxy as it is that they could strike with impunity throughout most of the galaxy (after Hosnian, all of it). The difference is the extent to which their force leads to political power. It does not appear to me that they have consolidated their rule.

Nazis were fairly popular historically, of course. Hell, they're pretty popular today. But the First Order still thought of itself as distinct from the Republic, and it came to power through a coup d'etat, rather than through an election as fascists have often done. They clearly do have support, but for them to have chosen war, and to view the apparatus of the Republic's government as an impediment to their aims rather than a tool they can use to achieve them, is an indication of what kind of support they have.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

He made a near perfect movie so I don’t know what the gently caress you’re on about

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah. It’s amazing. And it killed the hopes and dreams of star war fans? My god, it’s done more good than most movies!

Someday you actually have to justify calling it a great movie instead of making Eeyore-like posts about how unappreciated it is by those terrible fans.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Van Dis posted:

I'm sympathetic to people being confused about the state of the Resistance, the actual scope of power and governance of the First Order, the strange character choices for people like Maz, the blank character slate of Rey, etc etc, because the movie is really lazy about hashing things out and pretty much not interested in much more beyond spectacle.

The scripts were written by a bunch of history ignorant Hollywood liberals. The fact that they think totalitarian governments buy weapon from weapon dealers is just so cringe. No totalitarian governments deal with resource extraction and make their own weapons. What is this child fantasy is even about.

I think the script committee came up with Maz Kanata because they were ordered to make a Yoda-like character.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I hope it's good.

Like this current one

Which rules

If you look at the disaster that is the DC movies and the pretty inconsistent quality of Marvel movies, Star Wars is doing really well to have the majority of the new films get good reviews and one off them getting a ton of love from the fanbase even if its underappreciated by critics who have mostly written lazy reviews of what they think the movie should or shouldn't be.

Why do people think that Rey, the first Jedi trainee to actually actively question the order of things and how her actions can affect the world around her while in a film, is a flat character?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 12, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

tino posted:

The scripts were written by a bunch of history ignorant Hollywood liberals. The fact that they think totalitarian governments buy weapon from weapon dealers is just so cringe. No totalitarian governments deal with resource extraction and make their own weapons. What is this child fantasy is even about.

I think the script committee came up with Maz Kanata because they were ordered to make a Yoda-like character.
The idea that totalitarian governments always make all their own weapons is bizarre (plenty of western arms dealers make bank selling to them in the real world). And the First Order didn't even start out as a 'government' in any case.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The idea that totalitarian governments always make all their own weapons is bizarre (plenty of western arms dealers make bank selling to them in the real world). And the First Order didn't even start out as a 'government' in any case.

I didn't think that was actually a serious post. At least not the first part.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked someone's early read that Snoke is basically space wizard Jordan Peterson and Ben started watching his videos.

Hmm, work out to keep a healthy body, yeah.

Make sure my environment is clean, yeah.

Work on my own personal skills for self fulfillment, yeah.

Darth Vader right. Kill you're parents, yeah.

This guy's making a lot of sense!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think it's meant to be a direct analogy but Kylo Ren does have that weak and insecure mindset that's easily seduced by ideologies offering validation.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
People projecting paranoia about Alt-Right onto the character is still the funniest thing.

It's an admission that the heroes are so incompetent that they're almost destroyed by internet trolls.

tadashi posted:

Why do people think that Rey, the first Jedi trainee to actually actively question the order of things and how her actions can affect the world around her while in a film, is a flat character?

Anakin Skywalker already did that.

Rey is a flat character because she's only ever acting either vague sense of necessity or in reaction to something. All of her strenuous objections and demand give th impression that she doesn't really feel strongly about anything in particular, but acts passionate because she's supposed to.

And she's an absolute dullard. Remember that when confronted by the Dark Side, something that is able to realize her darkest desires, she was unable to fantasize about anything but herself.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 12, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People projecting paranoia about Alt-Right onto the character is still the funniest thing.

It's an admission that the heroes are so incompetent that they're almost destroyed by internet trolls.

Nah it's just funny to imagine Kylo Ren telling all his knights they gotta check out this guys videos and Luke noticing subtle changes that makes him worried

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Nah it's just funny to imagine Kylo Ren telling all his knights they gotta check out this guys videos and Luke noticing subtle changes that makes him worried

Sorry, no humor allowed.

Anakin Skywalker already did that.
Was entirely driven by wanting to gently caress Natalie Portman and never once reflected on his actions and their relationship to the force except when side-coached by Sidious.

quote:

And she's an absolute dullard. Remember that when confronted by the Dark Side, something that is able to realize her darkest desires, she was unable to fantasize about anything but herself.

She says "I need someone to show me my place in all this". And then the cave shows her herself, not someone else.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 12, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

Was entirely driven by wanting to gently caress Natalie Portman and never once reflected on his actions and their relationship to the force except when side-coached by Sidious.

I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to argue here. Are you saying that Anakin Skywalker is a flat character because he has romantic interests and is flawed?

tadashi posted:

She says "I need someone to show me my place in all this". And then the cave shows her herself, not someone else.

Well yeah. Since the Dark Side reflects fear and desire, it's only reflecting her own fear and desires. She's so dull that she can't imagine anything else.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to argue here. Are you saying that Anakin Skywalker is a flat character because he has romantic interests and is flawed?

I said she's trying to understand her relationship to the events around her. You said Anakin did that. What I'm saying is Anakin is all smash first ask questions later and his only real motivation we can see is that he wants to be with Padme.

quote:

Well yeah. Since the Dark Side reflects fear and desire, it's only reflecting her own fear and desires. She's so dull that she can't imagine anything else.

Rey's greatest fear is that there is no one else to rely on except herself, that's why she sees herself reflected back at her. It's similar to Luke facing his own self doubt. I'm just copying what Johnson has said here and it makes sense.

Rey doesn't really have a lot "to do" in TLJ other than interact with Skywalker and train and then go try to save her friends. In TFA, I think her chemistry with the people around her was a breath of fresh air and, while she may be wide-eyed at times, she is definitely driven by empathy for other people along with her own motivations for wanting to explore her relationship to Kylo and the wider galaxy around her that she's finally able to interact with for the first time.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 12, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

Luke does as well, especially in Empire, but Empire is pretty clear that he's making the wrong choice as he plunges headlong into a trap and doesn't really improve the situation for his friends.

But I watched Empire and Jedi recently particularly looking for what Yoda and Obi-Wan wanted him to do about Vader. They're super vague, mostly saying he needs to "confront" him, but there is a definite exchange that goes

Luke: I can't kill my father
Obi-Wan: Then we're hosed

His plan to turn Vader goes against everything the Jedi have been saying about the Sith being irredeemable. It's also exactly Rey's plan in TLJ.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PostNouveau posted:

I'm just gonna start bolding the stuff you're pulling out of your rear end, feel free to come up with any evidence whatsoever.

Again, the neo-Stormtrooper army is directly analogous to the Clone army. The characters themselves make that comparison. They certainly number in the hundreds of millions. In charge of those neo-Stormtroopers, we obviously have millions more like Hux. Let’s round it up to at least one billion people.

That’s a conservative estimate - and yet that is just the First Order’s military. We don’t even see the average First Order citizens who grow the food and mass-produce the helmets or whatever. But they certainly exist.

In TFA, there is a huge network of First Order spies. FN is terrified by the absolute certainty that they will run into First Order sympathizers at Max’s Castle. People have a lot of sympathy for Snoke.

Next film, DJ carefully explains that there is no real difference between the First Order and Republic, as far as anyone’s concerned, except that the Republic is incredibly ineffectual. Worlds not directly controlled by Snoke still want his business, because he can actually pay them. Example: DJ actually gets paid.

PostNouveau posted:

It seems like there's a need here to justify anyone's failure as being rooted in some kind of moral shortcoming.

So the Republic doesn't see First Order threat coming. They must be massively unpopular liberals so everyone supports Snoke. Is there any justification for this? :shrug:

Luke’s new Jedi temple had 12 students. Apparently over half of them freely decided the Republic was poo poo, joined the First Order, and became the Knights of Ren.

Snoke’s hugely successful populist movement is obviously popular.

The only counterarguments are transparently nonsensical EU horseshit (Grand Vizier Mas Amedda? The Hollow Earth theory that the Nazis escaped to Antarctica?), or the insistence that good guys are just good and we shouldn’t question them.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The First Order is literally just the Empire with a military that is willing to be more cruel to achieve their ends of total domination of the galaxy.

The hard part about just ruling is that true justice is complicated and there will always be people willing to exploit that process to their own ends.

Authoritative ruling doesn't have to be popular, you just have to give people the sense that what they do doesn't matter but they will be left alone as long as they stick to themselves and don't upset the rule of law. [E: Go ahead and vote for Harambe, because your vote doesn't matter!] Being allowed to live is pretty strong motivation.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It doesn’t have to be popular, but then Palpatine’s Empire was also extremely popular.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Again, the neo-Stormtrooper army is directly analogous to the Clone army. The characters themselves make that comparison. They certainly number in the hundreds of millions. In charge of those neo-Stormtroopers, we obviously have millions more like Hux. Let’s round it up to at least one billion people.

That’s a conservative estimate - and yet that is just the First Order’s military. We don’t even see the average First Order citizens who grow the food and mass-produce the helmets or whatever. But they certainly exist.

When does a character talk about the size of the first order army? Also, they're kidnapping and brainwashing people, not recruiting them. Droids could do all the other work, and you could buy yourself a spy network. You're really seeing that the first order is well-funded, not necessarily super popular.

The kids leaving Luke don't leave to join the first order, they leave in the aftermath of Luke looking like he tried to kill Ben, and they leave with Ben to start some kind of paramilitary group the nature of which hasn't been explained.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I thought the idea behind the Knights of Ren was that Snoke corrupted Kylo who then left with a bunch of Luke's students the night Luke tried to kill him?

It doesn’t have to be popular, but then Palpatine’s Empire was also extremely popular.

Sort of. When you kill everyone who opposes you and then manipulate the public to believe a regime is popular, even where it isn't, then it's going to seem extremely popular. This is how fascist regimes work.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 12, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

I thought the idea behind the Knights of Ren was that Snoke corrupted Kylo who then left with a bunch of Luke's students the night Luke tried to kill him?

Yeah, that's about it. But we don't know what the Knights of Ren are, what Kylo told them they'd do or if they worked for the first order.

It's a personal conflict, not a rejection of the republic.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PostNouveau posted:

When does a character talk about the size of the first order army? Also, they're kidnapping and brainwashing people, not recruiting them. Droids could do all the other work, and you could buy yourself a spy network. You're really seeing that the first order is well-funded, not necessarily super popular.

The kids leaving Luke don't leave to join the first order, they leave in the aftermath of Luke looking like he tried to kill Ben, and they leave with Ben to start some kind of paramilitary group the nature of which hasn't been explained.

The characters in the film say that their army is like the Clone army (AKA The Grand Army of the Republic) but better.

That’s in the film.

Now you’re saying that maybe Snoke has an offscreen army of billions of robots, which built more robots that kidnap and brainwash children. So Snoke took over the entire galaxy with fewer ‘real’ supporters than the population of Saskatchewan, Canada.

That’s not in the film.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The characters in the film say that their army is like the Clone army (AKA The Grand Army of the Republic) but better.

That’s in the film.

Now you’re saying that maybe Snoke has an offscreen army of billions of robots, which built more robots that kidnap and brainwash children. So Snoke took over the entire galaxy with fewer ‘real’ supporters than the population of Saskatchewan, Canada.

That’s not in the film.

They call it alike in size or in quality?

None of this is in the film, but if there's an alternate explanation to your completely batshit "The First Order is realllllllly popular" theory, it's probably about as valid since there's no evidence for either.

I don't think the filmmakers though too much about this, because they're telling a big broad story and didn't put a lot of thought into "how do we let everyone know the Republic is good and the First Order is bad?" Because, you know, even small children can tell through the music cues and actions of the characters and the things that the characters say which side is good and which side is bad.

You'll notice this forum and like 3 posters in it is, like, the only place where anyone is saying poo poo like that.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 12, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is def evidence of the FOs popularity. As was mentioned you can draw a strong inference they are popular from the fact that the resistance is radically unpopular.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

There is def evidence of the FOs popularity. As was mentioned you can draw a strong inference they are popular from the fact that the resistance is radically unpopular.

Counter-point: the American political system. Just because one side is unpopular doesn't make the other side popular. And just because nobody comes to the aide of the Resistance doesn't make them unpopular. It could mean everybody else is loving running for their lives, too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

tadashi posted:

Sort of. When you kill everyone who opposes you and then manipulate the public to believe a regime is popular, even where it isn't, then it's going to seem extremely popular. This is how fascist regimes work.
No, that's not how fascism works. Mussolini and Hitler were very popular.

PostNouveau posted:

The First Order's big military assembly is clearly meant to evoke the Nuremberg Rally, and the Nazi government had broad popular support. They have a huge fleet, and implicitly the infrastructure to support that fleet. The idea that everybody hates the Empire, and a small elite are ruling through sheer technological terror, just doesn't hold water.

(Remember when a teenage Luke Skywalker said that he hated the government, but didn't feel like it was his problem? And he also wanted to join the military? This is entirely normal from an American point of view. Perhaps many people living under the First Order don't like the government, but are jingoistic military-worshipers who don't want to join a rag-tag Republic that can barely stand on its own legs.)

The politics of the sequel trilogy are so incoherent that you can't really make sense of it without making some reasonable assumptions based on the text. It's easy to make the assumption that the Rebellion overthrew the empire, established a New Republic, and is now dealing with a rump state calling itself the First Order. My understanding is that that's how it works with the Imperial Remnant in ye olde Expanded Universe, but you won't find it in Episodes 7-8.

The truth is closer to the opposite. What is in the films is that the Rebellion assassinated the Emperor, blew up his new wunderwaffe base, and hastily established a provisional government in the style of the Old Republic. They're supporting a partisan movement called the Resistance that's fighting the Empire, reorganized as the First Order. But the First Order REIGNS.

(Also, the New Republic leadership and the Resistance are desperate to find the self-exiled Luke Skywalker. I'm not sure why. I guess they regard him as an inspirational Ho Chi Minh sort of figure.)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tadashi posted:

Counter-point: the American political system. Just because one side is unpopular doesn't make the other side popular. And just because nobody comes to the aide of the Resistance doesn't make them unpopular. It could mean everybody else is loving running for their lives, too.

Possible. They seem pretty happy on Canto Bight tho

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

The First Order's big military assembly is clearly meant to evoke the Nuremberg Rally, and the Nazi government had broad popular support.

Evoke doesn't mean completely equate. The rally is shorthand for "Evil guys are doing some evil poo poo like the Nazis did" and then they blow up 5 planets.

quote:

They have a huge fleet, and implicitly the infrastructure to support that fleet.

It's just meaningless in a universe where droid labor is abundant. The Trade Federation has a huge army too, but they seem to be about 5 dudes total.

quote:

The politics of the sequel trilogy are so incoherent that you can't really make sense of it without making some reasonable assumptions based on the text.

On this, we agree. These movies aren't really concerned with the political stuff, they're more about internal and interpersonal conflicts. With so little to go on, it's baffling to choose "Everybody loves the spaces nazis and hates the space liberals."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can read how you want but there is evidence for the claims . That’s all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

You can read how you want but there is evidence for the claims . That’s all.

Yeah, I'm starting to see how one can take a super-thin scrap of information that's open to wide interpretation and claim it as complete proof of humongous changes in the story structure.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

All we're really told about the size of the FO is that it's "more powerful" than the Empire which could mean Starkiller base plus the army/navy is more powerful than what the Empire created. You'd think it would have to be larger to be considered more of a military threat. Also, if the FO went outside the galaxy, then came back in, you'd think they'd have more control over the outer rim than the Empire did. Of course, there's also the Baghdad strategy in which you just go for the heart of the thing as quickly as possible and work backward.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No one said complete proof . Which is a ridiculous standard.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What we know:

The FIRST ORDER reigns.
Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys the merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy.

Only General Leia Organa's band of RESISTANCE fighters stand against the rising tyranny,

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PostNouveau posted:

They call it alike in size or in quality?

Both.

The First Order‘s military, just on its own, is absolutely ridiculous in scope. Their Death Star is ten times the size of the Empire’s Death Star. Snoke’s ship is three times bigger than Vader’s. Humans built those things, not robots:

“This fierce machine which you have built, upon which we stand, will bring an end to the Senate!”

A slave army doesn’t run itself. There are massive amounts of people supporting Snoke.

Again, there are only around 50 Republican worlds out of 1000 in the Republic. I’d wager that Snoke directly controls 500 of them, plus sympathetic planets and other allies.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to see how one can take a super-thin scrap of information that's open to wide interpretation and claim it as complete proof of humongous changes in the story structure.

The Republic consists of thousands of worlds (in 1977 this was apparently 24,372 star systems with representation). That would equal trillions of people.

The First Order has the manpower to seize control of the galaxy in a matter of days, and reign over trillions of people without meaningful challenge.

They're not an unpopular fringe movement.

tadashi posted:

I said she's trying to understand her relationship to the events around her. You said Anakin did that. What I'm saying is Anakin is all smash first ask questions later and his only real motivation we can see is that he wants to be with Padme.

Rey's greatest fear is that there is no one else to rely on except herself, that's why she sees herself reflected back at her. It's similar to Luke facing his own self doubt. I'm just copying what Johnson has said here and it makes sense.

You seem to pay attention to if characters visibly think hard enough rather than what they think or end up doing. This is how you're convinced that Rey breaks traditions, even though she ends up doing exactly the same thing as Luke Skywalker. Anakin is the one who questions and breaks Jedi tradition, including by getting married.

And Rey's greatest fear is not having to rely on herself alone. She is an adult who's perfectly capable of relying on herself alone. That's how she's lived her life.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In fairness, Snoke is a pretty cool guy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think the filmmakers though too much about this, because they're telling a big broad story and didn't put a lot of thought into "how do we let everyone know the Republic is good and the First Order is bad?" Because, you know, even small children can tell through the music cues and actions of the characters and the things that the characters say which side is good and which side is bad.
If Star Wars is stupid and everyone who watches it is stupid, why do you bother?

quote:

On this, we agree. These movies aren't really concerned with the political stuff, they're more about internal and interpersonal conflicts.
This is the same lame defense for why the Marvel movies are so bad. War movies are inherently and ineradicably political, and you can't credibly say that a movie populated by republics, resistance movements, orders, and so on isn't political.

quote:

It's just meaningless in a universe where droid labor is abundant. The Trade Federation has a huge army too, but they seem to be about 5 dudes total.

With so little to go on, it's baffling to choose "Everybody loves the spaces nazis and hates the space liberals."
The Separatists had at least one entire planet full of workers building their droid army and developing the Death Star.

"A fascist government controls lots of territory and is popular" is much simpler to infer from the text than your idea of a small number of people running a galactic empire thanks to droid labour. That just doesn't show up anywhere else in Star Wars and doesn't make sense in these films either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Republic consists of thousands of worlds (in 1977 this was apparently 24,372 star systems with representation). That would equal trillions of people.

The First Order has the manpower to seize control of the galaxy in a matter of days, and reign over trillions of people without meaningful challenge.

They're not an unpopular fringe movement.

You seem to pay attention to if characters visibly think hard enough rather than what they think or end up doing. This is how you're convinced that Rey breaks traditions, even though she ends up doing exactly the same thing as Luke Skywalker. Anakin is the one who questions and breaks Jedi tradition, including by getting married.

And Rey's greatest fear is not having to rely on herself alone. She is an adult who's perfectly capable of relying on herself alone. That's how she's lived her life.

Like I said, what I said about Rey is from Johnson. She is afraid that there's no one out there for her to ever rely on. She's lived her whole life believing her parents would return to save her.

On a separate note, if Star Wars fans are any indication, it is clear that the First Order came to power thanks to the popularity of intergalactic Whataboutism.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 12, 2018